Has anyone seen "BIG PAPI" of late ?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Has anyone seen

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ortiz's last playoff appearance in 2009 was not pretty. Let's hope his old tank has some gas left.

Its time for you to publicly admit that Ortiz has done an excellent job this year. His numbers are outstanding: 136 games played, .308/.960 with 130 RBIs and 30 HRs. There is nothing more any reasonable individual could expect of him. I expect he will continue to do well in the postseason, based on how he has done during the regular season, with an anticipated adjustment for having to face great pitching every day.

[/QUOTE]

Don't foget though....the m o r o n will use his lame comeback that Ortiz only finished 121 games.  Of course he was pinch run for in the later innings or was replaced in the field in the later innings in interleague play......but that's what slimy lawyers do...they make up facts to try to make their case. He's such a sad sad little boy....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

For their careers, Pedroia and Ortiz both average 15 GIDP's per 162 games - identical!

Left-handed hitters hit into fewer DP's on everage because it's harder to turn the 4-6-3 than the 6-4-3.

In the playoffs & W S, one can not expect PAPI taken to many extra bases .... Just saying !!

[/QUOTE]

Taking extra bases -- like  having 40 doubles and triples combined, which is tied for second on the team behind Pedroia, who has just four more despite having more than 120 more plate appearances. OK -- got it.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

At no time did I ever say that Ortiz wasn't going to do "an excellent job this year", or that he shouldn't have been signed as a FA through this year.

He has started and finished less than 120 games this year, which has been important. His PA are down with his overall production levels, from his median averages. Rested more, he's been able to hold up for 2013. 

As for the playoffs, 4 years removed from his 2009 playoff performance is not a good harbinger. We'll see. 

The Red Sox need to be planning for life without Ortiz, after failing to plan for life without Manny, and that won't come from resigning FA like Ellsbury and multi-year deals for 1B/DH like Napoli. 

Guess thats the most I could expect from you. Yes, Ortiz has been injured a bit this year, but he has played in 136 games, and thats not bad-especially when you consider that he has 30 HRs and 103 RBIs in those games despite being avoided by many pitchers because the guy batting behind him, Napoli, was an automatic out for a good part of the season.
    I don't expect ANY of the players to produce the numbers they did during the regular season because in the playoffs you are playing the best teams and generally seeing their #1-3 SP in every game. So assessing how a player performs has to take into consideration that context. Our pitchers have to be exceptional and our position players have to scrape enough runs up if we are going to win a ring. Thats just the way it works in the playoffs: pitching trumps hitting. And of course the Sox need to plan for life without Ortiz. That will happen soon. Signing guys like Ellsbury and Napoli who carry with them a high potential for injury is not the way to do it unless they are offered incentive laden contracts, and in Ellsbury's case for less than five years. No need for the team to assume the risk these players' histories carry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

For their careers, Pedroia and Ortiz both average 15 GIDP's per 162 games - identical!

Left-handed hitters hit into fewer DP's on everage because it's harder to turn the 4-6-3 than the 6-4-3.

In the playoffs & W S, one can not expect PAPI taken to many extra bases .... Just saying !!

[/QUOTE]

Team rank in

• 2Bs  3rd
    • 3Bs  3rd (t)
    • SBs  5th

See Bill, here's the thing-sometimes those extra extra are because you hit the ball hard.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Meaningless abstract season long aggregate team metrics.

Referring to what?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Meaningless abstract season long aggregate team metrics.

Referring to what?

I agree with Softy that team metrics are nearly useless. Case in point: the White Sox have a team OPS of .679. Of players who have played over just 50 games the guy who ranks third in OPS has an OPS of .730, which still stinks. Its how you do in comparison to the rest of the league that is important.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I agree with Softy that team metrics are nearly useless. Case in point: the White Sox have a team OPS of .679. Of players who have played over just 50 games the guy who ranks third in OPS has an OPS of .730, which still stinks. Its how you do in comparison to the rest of the league that is important.

Pumpsie, team metrics include ERA.  You talk about the importance of team ERA more than anybody.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Pumpsie, team metrics include ERA.  You talk about the importance of team ERA more than anybody.

I refer to team ERA compared to all other teams in the league. I really don't care who is third in ERA WITHIN our team. If our team pitching stinks his ERA is likely to stink as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I refer to team ERA compared to all other teams in the league. I really don't care who is third in ERA WITHIN our team. If our team pitching stinks his ERA is likely to stink as well.

OK...the point there was kind of confusing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

At no time did I ever say that Ortiz wasn't going to do "an excellent job this year", or that he shouldn't have been signed as a FA through this year.

He has started and finished less than 120 games this year, which has been important. His PA are down with his overall production levels, from his median averages. Rested more, he's been able to hold up for 2013. 

As for the playoffs, 4 years removed from his 2009 playoff performance is not a good harbinger. We'll see. 

The Red Sox need to be planning for life without Ortiz, after failing to plan for life without Manny, and that won't come from resigning FA like Ellsbury and multi-year deals for 1B/DH like Napoli. 

Please give specfic numbers. What specifically is his production level this season and what specifically are his "median averages"? Actually, You are still using a meaningless term. Median and average mean entirely different things. How can there be a median average? Please explain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I assume Softy's response was in response to my response to Bill's silliness.  While comparing Papi's stats to the rest of the team doesn't mean a whole lot, some of the stats indicate that he isn't quite standing still.  In the AL, Papi is-

• 2B  #8
    • 3B  #32
    • SB  #3 among players with -0- CS

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

I assume Softy's response was in response to my response to Bill's silliness.  While comparing Papi's stats to the rest of the team doesn't mean a whole lot, some of the stats indicate that he isn't quite standing still.  In the AL, Papi is-

• 2B  #8
    • 3B  #32

Well, here we are .....  Forget my threads over the last 6 months...... It's playoff time, PAPI has a 50% chance of making me wrong, & I have a 50% chance that PAPI will make me right !!!!   Does it get any better than this ??????? .......... Just like, we will know between now & Oct. 1st what the "BIG O" is all about !!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Youve been wrong about Papi all year. Hes already proved you 100% wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

• 2B  #8
    • 3B  #32

Well, here we are .....  Forget my threads over the last 6 months...... It's playoff time, PAPI has a 50% chance of making me wrong, & I have a 50% chance that PAPI will make me right !!!!   Does it get any better than this ??????? .......... Just like, we will know between now & Oct. 1st what the "BIG O" is all about !!!!!!

Your right...... Thats in the rear view mirror as we get ready for the playoffs/W S  AKA  2nd season !!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

What's absolutely incredible is that this thread is still being bumped up by people who claim to not like Bill.
     No one likes Bill..but his threads consistently have the most comments and last the longest..all so people can pile on and pile on. I think the point has been made more than sufficiently that Bill was incorrect in this particular post. Seriously..I hope to never see you "men" complaining about women nagging or picking..because you have it elevated to an art form in this forum :-))

Good grief...you would think that Ortiz was literally the only player on the 2013 Red Sox. I have news for you all..this team as succeeded this year because they are a GREAT TEAM...they have not ridden anyone's back into the playoffs this year.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

• 2B  #8
    • 3B  #32

Your right...... Thats in the rear view mirror as we get ready for the playoffs/W S  AKA  2nd season !!!

[/QUOTE]

Then, why did you bring it up, again?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

What's absolutely incredible is that this thread is still being bumped up by people who claim to not like Bill.
     No one likes Bill..but his threads consistently have the most comments and last the longest..all so people can pile on and pile on. I think the point has been made more than sufficiently that Bill was incorrect in this particular post. Seriously..I hope to never see you "men" complaining about women nagging or picking..because you have it elevated to an art form in this forum :-))

Good grief...you would think that Ortiz was literally the only player on the 2013 Red Sox. I have news for you all..this team as succeeded this year because they are a GREAT TEAM...they have not ridden anyone's back into the playoffs this year.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

Funny:  I saw one of his biggest critics put up a thread which was on the second page by the end of the day.  Love him or not, some just cannot refrain form staying off Bill's threads. 

Or shucks gang, you all are too kind to me......    Just for the record,  In the NAVY my quarterly marks always ended with "and Bill-806 always adds morale to the SHIP !!!!

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts