Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?

How was it?  I heard it was good even though the legacy of Billy Beane is quite overrated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?

i didnt know there was a movie about Theo out there?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Re: Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?

I thought that it was a movie about sabermetrics.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411939. Show user_4411939's posts

In Response to Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?:
    [QUOTE]How was it?  I heard it was good even though the legacy of Billy Beane is quite overrated.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I think the thread title is far too critical.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

I know alot of MLB and sports fans have been trashing the movie, but it does look like a good MOVIE for entertainment purposes. Baseball is somewhat fading due to Football growing so huge and a movie with a star-studded cast is just what baseball needs.

And I believe it is more about sabermetrics than anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I am a Sox fan first(1st 21 years in Maine so roots run deep) and a local fan 2nd(SF Bay Area).   Delighted watching Jays beat Rays last night and then switched between Giants/Arizona & A's/Angels & loved the A’s coming through late.  We are 3 ahead of Rays & 4 ahead of Angels in the loss column.  If we can win 2 out of 3 vs Yankees and they each lose , it’ll be pretty much a slam dunk with their remaining games vs. the Yankees & Rangers.  Even if the Yankees not wanting to play us in the playoffs egregiously lose 4 in the row to Rays, we will need 2 maybe only 1 vs Orioles.

Frustrating watching the SF Giants as I was reminded of so many games the Sox played in September. SF got 11 hits and 1 run and Diamondbacks got 6 hits and 3 runs. Don’t need to be a mathematician to calculate their hit/run ratio was 2:1 and  SF’s was 11:1.  It was a a tremendous example of the lack of clutch hitting, something that has befallen us losing 7 games by 1 run and 3 games by 2 runs in Sept when in many games we outhit our opponents.

By the way, saw "Moneyball" in the PM.  The way Beane built the A’s team after losing Damon, Giambi & Isringhausen and still the A’s won the Division in 2002 reminded me of the way Tampa has built its team to compete with NY & Boston. I didn’t know Beane was offered $12 1/2 Mil to coach the Sox after that year....     WOW ! I like Brad Pitt and thought he was perfect for the part !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I suppose, I'll spend the $1 at Red Box when it goes to DVD.Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It just shows they are running out of good ideas for movies and T.V. when they make movies out of stupid concepts that makes a cheapskate outfit look like winners because they play in a "small market" ( really Oakland...you mean there's no people living out there?) and put a AAA team on the field most years, but because they can compete in the A.L.'s weakest division every 10 years or so, they are doing something brilliant over there.

I wouldn't watch this movie for free. I wouldn't waste the time. I would rather watch a stupid T.V. show like Sarah Palin's  Alaska, at least, I'm thinking, there would be some real humorous moments there....especially the designer camoflage workourt suits and trendy hunting gear , that's always good for a chuckle. But, I think they messed up the title, it should have been called 'A Desperate Wannabee Politician Hockey Mom's Fifteen Minutes of Fame in Color.'

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Re: Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?:
    [QUOTE]I am a Sox fan first(1st 21 years in Maine so roots run deep) and a local fan 2nd(SF Bay Area).   Delighted watching Jays beat Rays last night and then switched between Giants/Arizona & A's/Angels & loved the A’s coming through late.  We are 3 ahead of Rays & 4 ahead of Angels in the loss column.  If we can win 2 out of 3 vs Yankees and they each lose , it’ll be pretty much a slam dunk with their remaining games vs. the Yankees & Rangers.  Even if the Yankees not wanting to play us in the playoffs egregiously lose 4 in the row to Rays, we will need 2 maybe only 1 vs Orioles. Frustrating watching the SF Giants as I was reminded of so many games the Sox played in September. SF got 11 hits and 1 run and Diamondbacks got 6 hits and 3 runs. Don’t need to be a mathematician to calculate their hit/run ratio was 2:1 and  SF’s was 11:1.  It was a a tremendous example of the lack of clutch hitting, something that has befallen us losing 7 games by 1 run and 3 games by 2 runs in Sept when in many games we outhit our opponents. By the way, saw "Moneyball" in the PM.  The way Beane built the A’s team after losing Damon, Giambi & Isringhausen and still the A’s won the Division in 2002 reminded me of the way Tampa has built its team to compete with NY & Boston. I didn’t know Beane was offered $12 1/2 Mil to coach the Sox after that year....     WOW ! I like Brad Pitt and thought he was perfect for the part !!!
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]
    Interview today on the MLB Network, Studio 42(?) with Bob Costa. Beane said that he and Theo are great friends and that was offered the job in Boston but decided that he would not be happy there. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I saw the movie and enjoyed the Fenway Park scene where Red Sox owner John Henry offered Billy Beane the GM job in Boston.

The reason Oakland has unable to sustain success is that other teams have largely embraced the sabermetrics principles that brought the small-market Athletics temporary relief from large-market dominance.

The film erased my doubts that the book could be made into an interesting movie.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/film-review-moneyball.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Re: Has anyone seen Moneyball? The movie about one of the most overrated GMs in the game?:
    [QUOTE]I saw the movie and enjoyed the Fenway Park scene where Red Sox owner John Henry offered Billy Beane the GM job in Boston. The reason Oakland has unable to sustain success is that other teams have largely embraced the sabermetrics principles that brought the small-market Athletics temporary relief from large-market dominance. The film erased my doubts that the book could be made into an interesting movie.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your input. Quite often movies do not live up to the books that they are modeled after.

Sections
Shortcuts