Has the Wild Card ended true pennant races

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Has the Wild Card ended true pennant races

Bill Madden wrote what I thought to be an excellent piece today about the Wild Card and what it has taken away from the game, especially NY and Boston fans. I think it is pretty clear now that both Boston and NY will both be going to the playoffs together for the umpteenth time. And since the WC team invariably comes down to the AL East, teams may slow down a bit in the last 3 weeks of the season to rest players who have nagging little injuries. I know this has been discussed many times here.

But just think - if there was no Wild Card, Boston and NY fans would now be witnessing one of the great pennant races of all-time. Win, you're in, lose, you snooze.

Is there anyone who actually misses that or am I the only knucklehead out there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Has the Wild Card ended true pennant races

the Wild Card and what it has taken away from the game, especially NY and Boston fans

more like only taking away from 4 NY and Boston fans

texas LAA could have a very  good 1 coming

besides this conversation is kind of moot

the 2nd WC team is coming

which will give you your sox / yanks fight to the end

and be much better 4 baseball than no wc teams

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Well in the fact the if the Red Sox-Yankees tie the Red Sox take the division it has end the division race but it has added more team to the playoffs basically adding more races.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You could really make it more competitive, Money not being the issue for MLB:

Do away with the Wild Card have only the two best teams out of the three divisions meet,  or

If a tie the team with the best record head to head wins/ or that scored the most runs head to head.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Agreed that the W.C. has added to the game. Without it, you wouldn't of had 2004 and although it was very disheartening to this Yankee fan, it was a great year for long suffering Sox fans. But I do kind of miss a good old fashion pennant race where I am on the edge of my seat for a month as the season winds down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Has the Wild Card ended true pennant races:
    [QUOTE]Bill Madden wrote what I thought to be an excellent piece today about the Wild Card and what it has taken away from the game, especially NY and Boston fans. I think it is pretty clear now that both Boston and NY will both be going to the playoffs together for the umpteenth time. And since the WC team invariably comes down to the AL East, teams may slow down a bit in the last 3 weeks of the season to rest players who have nagging little injuries. I know this has been discussed many times here. But just think - if there was no Wild Card, Boston and NY fans would now be witnessing one of the great pennant races of all-time. Win, you're in, lose, you snooze. Is there anyone who actually misses that or am I the only knucklehead out there?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Im for putting them all in one division and the top four teams playoff at the end of the year! Or the top team from the Al and the NL play an 11 game series for the championship. But we know that they need the additional TV revenue correct?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

promise I hadn't thought of that... one divsision, 4 or maybe 6 teams make it in. Hmmm..... at least a thought.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Re: Has the Wild Card ended true pennant races:
    [QUOTE]promise I hadn't thought of that... one divsision, 4 or maybe 6 teams make it in. Hmmm..... at least a thought.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

and a true balanced schedule, bet it would make it interesting

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The WC has screwed up things as has the 3 division format.
     Just remember they are pushing the extra WC team asap.

So there could be 3 teams from the ALE if it were done this year.

BTW there is the possibility the 3rd place team the Rays could have a better record than both the Central and West division winners and they have done it in a division where two teans could have 100 wins...........Now that sucks

They need to go back to AL and NL top 3 teams make playoffs. 2 vs 3 and winner plays 1st and winners go for WS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

The new proposal would take care of this.  there would be two wild cards and they play a one game playoff to face a division winner.  Winning the division would then have some teeth; more teams stay in the hunt; the excitement of a one-game playoff (see Bucky f......g Dent)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think this is kind of a NYY/RS-centric issue.

In the NL, over the past 10 years, there's been 8 different teams making the WC.  That's creating a whole of different races, giving small market teams, or big market teams acting like small market teams, the ability to compete

In addition, it weakens the ability to have one large payroll dominate.  Philly is $75M over Atlanta, but Atlanta's $91M still puts them in good position to compete for the WC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Has the wild card ended true pennant races.

Maybe in the selfish sense of the winner take all AL East circa 1978 playing for all the marbles it does. But the reality is that even when it was just two leagues we didn't have great pennent races every year, back in the day's when one team was running away with the division after September 1st the rest of league went into wait til next year mode and when it was two divisions rarely did more than 3 team stay close to the lead well into September...Once a teams falls out and the calendar turns and you're teams out of it, the casual fan turn's their attension and more importanly their TV's to football...which is one of the downside to baseball it is a regional sport and once you're teams out, so too are you...

What the WC and almost as important the 6 divisions format has done is keep more teams viable longer into the year..thus more fan interest league wide resulting in overall increased revenues and attendences in the months of August & September. Just for giggles if we went back to the two division format...on August 1st Detroit would've been 10 games behind in the loss column & Cleveland would've been 11, both pretty much would've been out of it or long shots as best...instead they were locked into a very compelling race for the central division and the White Sox were still in the hunt too only 4 1/2 games back...

End of the day I say leave well enough alone, 3 divsions, 1 WC is sufficiant...what I would do though is to change the rule regarding playing the WC if they come from within the same division...If you finish with the best record you should have to play the WC team in the ALDS regardless of records.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I think this is kind of a NYY/RS-centric issue. In the NL, over the past 10 years, there's been 8 different teams making the WC.  That's creating a whole of different races, giving small market teams, or big market teams acting like small market teams, the ability to compete In addition, it weakens the ability to have one large payroll dominate.  Philly is $75M over Atlanta, but Atlanta's $91M still puts them in good position to compete for the WC.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

You are correct Joe - at least for my part.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

No way this Boston team goes to the playoffs. Flat out no way. Why? The players are paid too much and don't give a dam about extra effort. 

Rays, paid a lot less will beat the pants off the Sox any day of the week. Mark my words. By the end of this week Rays and Sox are within 1 o 2 games of each other for the wildcard. 

Place you bet on the hungry team, Rays. Sox got thier money and don't care. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

without the wildcard, you might as well fold up the sox, baltimore, toronto, and tampa franchises...or move them to the ny metropolitan area to try to divy up the market...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]without the wildcard, you might as well fold up the sox, baltimore, toronto, and tampa franchises...or move them to the ny metropolitan area to try to divy up the market...
    Posted by elvis-surfs[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's really a testment to the game itself, when a team can outspend it's closest rival by 50M every year but still doens't win the division or the league championship each year...

FYI The Sox have already shown the league how to beat the Yankees at their own game and since 2002 when Henry bought the team. they've outspent the Sox by some 450M, yet only have one ring to show for it...We don't even want to get into the Tampa analysis and the amount by which the Yank's have outspent them...

right now the Yanks are on top, great if they lose 3 of 4 and the Sox win 4 in a row the race can turn that quick...lets talk again after the post season is complete and then if your boys outlast mine then you can come back a shout from the heavens...til then...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

[QUOTE]Has the wild card ended true pennant races. Maybe in the selfish sense of the winner take all AL East circa 1978 playing for all the marbles it does. But the reality is that even when it was just two leagues we didn't have great pennent races every year, back in the day's when one team was running away with the division after September 1st the rest of league went into wait til next year mode and when it was two divisions rarely did more than 3 team stay close to the lead well into September...Once a teams falls out and the calendar turns and you're teams out of it, the casual fan turn's their attension and more importanly their TV's to football...which is one of the downside to baseball it is a regional sport and once you're teams out, so too are you... What the WC and almost as important the 6 divisions format has done is keep more teams viable longer into the year..thus more fan interest league wide resulting in overall increased revenues and attendences in the months of August & September. Just for giggles if we went back to the two division format...on August 1st Detroit would've been 10 games behind in the loss column & Cleveland would've been 11, both pretty much would've been out of it or long shots as best...instead they were locked into a very compelling race for the central division and the White Sox were still in the hunt too only 4 1/2 games back... End of the day I say leave well enough alone, 3 divsions, 1 WC is sufficiant...what I would do though is to change the rule regarding playing the WC if they come from within the same division...If you finish with the best record you should have to play the WC team in the ALDS regardless of records.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Wow.  Reading down, reading down.  And then.... What I would have said, except I probably couldn't have said it as well.  So I'll just stick with, "I completely agree."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

I think the article is wrong.  Why have the number one and number two teams (Sox and Yanks are 1 and 2, sometimes trading places) both be at risk, while two lesser teams, teams with worse records playing more games in easy divisions, get to slide?

Maybe we should dump the interleague play, make an equal schedule where everyone plays everyone else the same number of times, and then take the top 4 teams.  That will get the best teams in the post season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

True pennat races are over thats for sure but I am much happier that it is a little fairer for good teams that dont make it to post season.  I grew up in Mass but have lived in the SF Bay Area for 20 years.  I can remember back in 94 I believe the SF Giant had won 102 games for the season but they did not get to go to the post season since the Atlanta Braves had won 103 game and at the time they were in the same division.  I remember the heart break that all Giant fans suffed when one of the best teams they had every seen in the Bay Area did even get to play one more game after the season ended.  By the way no other team except SF and Atlanta had won more that 100 games that season.  So I believe the Wild Card has ended true pennat races but it will save many broken hearts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Bottom line if a wild card team ends up meeting, which is rare, the team that beat them out in their division in the second round to advance to the series. All games will be played in the division winners stadium. Do you think that would pump up Joe Girardi and Francona's interest level any? Again it is much rarer than you would think, we have met the Yankees only three times since 1999, but when it does, the WILDCARD is on the road for all Seven.

Now there is some incentive for you coaches!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]No way this Boston team goes to the playoffs. Flat out no way. Why? The players are paid too much and don't give a dam about extra effort.  Rays, paid a lot less will beat the pants off the Sox any day of the week. Mark my words. By the end of this week Rays and Sox are within 1 o 2 games of each other for the wildcard.  Place you bet on the hungry team, Rays. Sox got thier money and don't care. 
    Posted by proftom[/QUOTE]

Really?! I'll take that bet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Wild card is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Except for the AL East, there are no pennant races and the wild card is the only thing keeping some hopes alive.  Right now, even the wild card seems nailed down in both leagues because of the Braves and Yankees/Sox.  It happens. 

The wild card also balances the playoffs and off course gets a total of 8 (out of 30) teams into the playoffs. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pennant Races???  The Pennant Race was ended when they split the 2 leagues into divisions.  The "Pennant" goes to the League Champions, not the division champions.

Back it the day, there was no ALCS - there was only the WS between the NL and AL regular season champions.