Has there ever been a better 2nd half tandem in MLB history than Uehara and Breslow?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has there ever been a better 2nd half tandem in MLB history than Uehara and Breslow?

Maybe notin would know the answer to this, but has any MLB relief tandem in the history of baseball ever had a better second half of a season than Uehara and Breslow?

Uehara   0.28  WHIP 0.313 (Opponents against: .087/.095/.136/.231)

Breslow 0.65  WHIP 0.976  (Opponents against: .185/.276/.261/.537)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Has there ever been a better 2nd half tandem in MLB history than Uehara and Breslow?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Maybe notin would know the answer to this, but has any MLB relief tandem in the history of baseball ever had a better second half of a season than Uehara and Breslow?

Uehara   0.28  WHIP 0.313 (Opponents against: .087/.095/.136/.231)

Breslow 0.65  WHIP 0.976  (Opponents against: .185/.276/.261/.537)

And after watching them pitch all those innings, I still don't believe it. It's like a magic trick.

-Daf.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Has there ever been a better 2nd half tandem in MLB history than Uehara and Breslow?

No. They are phenomenal!!!!!!! This whole team is phenomenal!!!!

And I hope anyone who struck out doesn't feel bad (I doubt the do now). But they should look at it as just adding to the pitch count.:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Rivera/Wettland

Nope

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Huh? Wrong time for your endless posts on how great the Rays starting pitching was. 

Perhaps the pen is just a little more important than starting pitching, in the playoffs, ya think!

Keep harping how starting pitching is not a significant factor. 

Keep using tiny sample sizes to "prove" your point, then disregard anyone else's use of tiny sample sizes to "prove" you wrong.

Your MO is is so transparent and flimsy.

Besides, I never said relief pitching was not important. 

1) Was Ellsbury just lucky?

2) Did Ellsbury's injury keep him out for the rest of 2013?

3) Did our offense do well without a big bat behind Papi?

4) Did Peavy do better thanh Dempster or Doubront would have done?

5) Still think Victorino was a bad signing?

6) Still think Salty is a "back-up profile catcher" worth an offer of $10M for 2014?

7) Still think Drew is a "horrible fielder"?

8) Still think "Middlebrooks is the key to us making the playoffs and having a chance of winning a ring"?

9) Still think Lackey is a "bum"?

10) Still think the Yanks will never get old?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Was Ellsbury just lucky?

What's he done?

Try watching the games!

2) Did Ellsbury's injury keep him out for the rest of 2013?

No, but only because he knew he had to play to make his sub .800 OPS and fragile bones case for a big FA contract. Otherwise, he would have been. 

But, you said he'd never play another game in 2013.

3) Did our offense do well without a big bat behind Papi?

We're getting ready to find out. Big budget team performance isn't about winning it's first playoff series in a half a decade.

"No POP Papi" had 30 HRs this year with nobody behind him.

4) Did Peavy do better thanh Dempster or Doubront would have done?

No

I'm surprised you view Dempster and Doubront in such a positive light. In recent months, how often did one of them go 5.2 IP with 1 ER?

5) Still think Victorino was a bad signing?

Yes, unless they pass on paying a bunch of money for a FA market contract for Ellsbury

I rest my case on proving you are indeed the resident clown. (Note: I was against the signing as well, but am man enough to see the obvious and admit a mistake.)

Ellsbury will not be back in 2014.

6) Still think Salty is a "back-up profile catcher" worth an offer of $10M for 2014?

Been a back-up catcher his entire career, and always plays that part in fielding his position. My offer to Salty is based on being a back-up catcher, 1B and DH over the next 2 to 3 years. Are you still advocating trading Salty because of CERA, LMAO!

DH? LMAO! $10M for a back-up catcher from the ultimate stooge in contract suggested offers? LMAO!

7) Still think Drew is a "horrible fielder"?

For a SS, no doubt about it. Range of a 1st baseman. Never said "horrible fielder", but I've noted that you think he's a "good SS fielder"

I used to think he was average at best. I was wrong. Iggy is much better. Note it all you want.

8) Still think "Middlebrooks is the key to us making the playoffs and having a chance of winning a ring"?

Never said he was the key to the Red Sox "making the playoffs". You said the Red Sox wouldn't make the playoffs and did a thread on selling in the trade market, last spring. I said their payroll was too big to not be less than the playoff bubble team I called them. I still feel the same, not factoring in the Yankees losing Tex for the entire season, which accounted for the 5 or 6 more wins beyond the 91 wins I projected. 

You did not predeict 91 wins. You did say Middlebrooks was the key to making the playoffs as we were a "bubble team".

Yes, still think Middlebrooks is the key for the Red Sox being a title contender, instead of a pretender. Do you sill feel Middlebrooks should have been traded, back when he was hurt and should have been DL'd instead of demoted to assuage Drew's ego.

Yes, I wanted to trade Middy and Doubront for J Upton. I'm not sure I agree with notin that trading Middy for Peavy made more sense than Iggy.

9) Still think Lackey is a "bum"?

He's proven he's a bum. Take a look at his performance over the contract. I'm the one, unlike you, who said not to trade him and write him off and sell low, and to keep through the pick-up near zero cost year of the last option year on his contract. His playoff performance stunk, but his 2013 season was merely a small down payment on the embarrassing act he's been since I said to avoid spending more than 30M on this prima donna, which seems to be a Red Sox management formula of recent years.

You still want to acquire Santana's contract, like you wanted to trade Buch or Lester for to get that "ace" you keep whining about. Well, how'd that ace you boast about do, Price? What's that prima donna's offer you are going to make since you have been drooling over this every 5 days career "stud", as you call him?

I admitted I was wrong on Santana, but it shows how far back you have to go to find my mistakes, when your are littered over every page every day.

You do realize Lackey pitched while injured in 2011, right?

10) Still think the Yanks will never get old?

You've been saying that for over a half a decade. I said the contracts to Jeter and A-Roid were a joke and used the term "wheelchair contract", that I borrowed from my best source.

But, losing Tex all season is the difference in the Red Sox playing the Yankees instead of the Rays, which would have been trouble for the Red Sox. Be glad those great Rays starting pitching was the whipping post I said they would be, and that Tex missed the 2013 season.

Tex was in steep decline before this year. You predicted the Yanks to win the division (so did I).

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good Morning Moon, 

You should know that you can't reason with Softy. He'll lie, deny things he has said, etc. Why waste your valuable time banging your head against the wall. 

Hetch

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

A lot of prevarication, as usual. I have time to address one. I never predicted the Yankees would win the division. I didn't predict the division, and never have. 

I'll leave you with your drum now silent on how you feared the Rays starting pitching. They sucked, in very game of the series I guaranteed the Red Sox would win. That's because I understand AL baseball in the modern era, and you don't.

No, your "inside information" predicted it.

Yes, I said I feared the Rays lefty starters more than Detroit's RH'd starters, but I also said I thought we'd win.

Your "understanding of baseball in the modern era" is a total joke. Your suggest contract offer fall 50% shot most of the time. Your suggested trades never are realistic in terms of what the other team wants or needs (ie SD trading AGon for Ells and Lowrie or the Diamondbakcs taking Ellsbury plus for J Upton, or the Dodgers taking Ellsbury plus for Kemp...) You have been wrong on every single tiny detail of every single issue until you called the win over the Rays. You must feel so proud of yourself for bienf 1 out of 2,118 now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

An interesting question. If you go only by the criteria given, the answer is yes. Plenty. Such as the combo of Uehara-Webster. Because you didn't give an innings qualification for both pitchers.

However, if you go by the spirit of the question, I couldn't find any. The closest I could find was Kimbrel-O'Flaherty in 2012...........

0.61---0.607---.378
    0.35---0.923---.449

Pretty impressive. Both pitchers had over 25 innings each, similar to Koji-Breslow. But, if you combine the numbers, they come up just short on all 3 numbers. 

Got to give it to Breslow. He has been much better then I expected, especially lately.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Okie/Paps

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

An interesting question. If you go only by the criteria given, the answer is yes. Plenty. Such as the combo of Uehara-Webster. Because you didn't give an innings qualification for both pitchers.

However, if you go by the spirit of the question, I couldn't find any. The closest I could find was Kimbrel-O'Flaherty in 2012...........

0.61---0.607---.378
    0.35---0.923---.449

Pretty impressive. Both pitchers had over 25 innings each, similar to Koji-Breslow. But, if you combine the numbers, they come up just short on all 3 numbers. 

Got to give it to Breslow. He has been much better then I expected, especially lately.

Great research, and yes, I assumed both pitchers had a reasonable amount of innings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Okie/Paps

Nope...

2007 2nd half:

Papelbon  1.75  0.662

Okajima   4.56  1.208

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now, in the postseason these two have combined for ...

16 IP

1 ER

8 Hits

4 BB (not counting the IBB)

Breslow 7 IP  0 ER  3 Hits  5* BB  6 Ks  *(including 1 IBB)

Uehara  9 IP  1 ER   5 Hits  0 BB  13 Ks

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

These 2 guys will never be better than they are right now, so take it and run with it as long as we can.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These 2 guys will never be better than they are right now, so take it and run with it as long as we can.

[/QUOTE]

I am enjoying the ride, but no harm in thinking they may be very good next year too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lights out!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Uehara is not a fluke.

This guy is for real.

These numbers show the dominace:

2011-2013 WHIP

Uehara 0.64

Kimbrel 0.87

Romo  0.89

Jansen 0.91

Motte  0.94

Clippard 0.94

Rivera  0.97

Janssen 0.98

Avilan 0.98

Doolittle 1.01

#29 Jake McGee 1.10

The differential between #1 Uehara and #2 Kimbrel is the same as the differential between #2 Kimbrel abd #29 McGee.

Uehara is leeps and bounds ahead of the pack.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Uehara's 3 year WHIP of 0.64 is better than any single season by Rivera (0.67 in 2008 was his best WHIP season).

That's a little perspective, agreed?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

From what I have been reading Clippard might be available this off-season. Like to see the Sox look into it. Thats the Off-season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Kamikaze Kloser and his Dr. Peabody sidekick Mow-em Down Breslow

Sections
Shortcuts