Hats off to Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Hats off to Jon Lester

In Response to Re: Hats off to Jon Lester:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hats off to Jon Lester : Tom - Yeah, maybe life is too short to deal with it.  Good point and good stat, thank you.  I just find it frustrating that when enough people beat the same false drum others start to march along.  For instance ... Danny - Here's the log of Lester's 8 starts in 2012.  Where is the long period of time during which he was not so great? IP ER H BB 9 .0 1 8 0 5.0 1 6 1 6.0 3 5 3 7.0 0 5 1 7.0 5 6 4 2.0 7 8 4 8.0 3 3 2 7.0 1 6 3
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

if you take out his one bad start his ERA is 2.82 for the year.  Yeah.  He is horrible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

that's funny, when I used to post Wakefield stretches like that, I was told that it doesn't apply. I meant in a larger sense going back to last year, Lester hasn't thrown as effectively as we would expect from an ace. He's had two really poor starts, a short one (5), another short one (6), and albeit good performances in 4 of the 8.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]tom, we can all be fans and still be critical on a messageboard. I was ecstatic that Lester pitched great last night, but at the same time, wasn't he due to do have a game like that after really so many below-Lester-par outings? In other words, shouldn't we have expected him to pitch this well? That's andrew's point and I agree with it.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny

As you said, Andrew has every right to be critical of Lesters performance is he feels he is not performing well, but my point was, is it only realted to the size of his Salries and if it is ok to be critical, why have a problem with someone else(on a Message Board) giving praise when they think a preformance is worthy....cant have to both ways.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]that's funny, when I used to post Wakefield stretches like that, I was told that it doesn't apply. I meant in a larger sense going back to last year, Lester hasn't thrown as effectively as we would expect from an ace. He's had two really poor starts, a short one (5), another short one (6), and albeit good performances in 4 of the 8.

He is a really good pitcher.  Whether or not he is an "ace" he is obviously the best pitcher the Red Sox have and he makes 7 million.  There isn't a team in baseball that wouldn't want him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no question on Lester. I love the guy myself. But he didn't do his job when the Sox absolutely needed him last September, and he basically needs to throw 8 or 9 inning gems on a consistent basis for a team that is still 3 games under .500. I want more out of Lester if that's possible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]no question on Lester. I love the guy myself. But he didn't do his job when the Sox absolutely needed him last September, and he basically needs to throw 8 or 9 inning gems on a consistent basis for a team that is still 3 games under .500. I want more out of Lester if that's possible.

I am with you on last September.  He was horrible.

if you look at his career stats he wins 15, his ERA is around 3.50, and his BAA is around 245.  Go back to 2008 and its the same ever year except the one year he won 19. That's what you're going to get from him.  Every year.  It isn't quite ace material but maybe he isn't an ace.  Either way he is a really good starting pitcher at reasonable money.  The Red Sox only have one of those.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

well, they should have two if you include Beckettt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]well, they should have two if you include Beckettt

Beckett is inconsistent and makes 3 times as much as Lester.  Lester is a steal at 7 million.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

absolutely for his salary, i agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd give the 82 million that went to Lackey to Lester right now out of sheer sense of reward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Bottom line is he pitched a great game, got the win & gave the bullpen a much deserved rest. It has not been very often we can say that this year so far. So ya, great job Jon ! I don't know what all the fuss is about !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Hey, I didn't mean anything against the original poster - I believe I made that clear.  Just venting.  This is not a good team and Lester has not lived up to my expectations.  He doesn't care about April, he doesn't back up bases, he gets angry at umps and teammates when things go bad, and he crashed and burned last Septemer with his BFF...........In 2008 and 2009 I thought he was the best left handed pitcher in baseball but he really rubbed me the wrong way the last year or so.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Hats off to Jon Lester:
    [QUOTE]We've been pretty quick to bash the Red Sox starters on this forum the last few months, so I want to be among the first offer kudos to Mr. Lester on a very nice game tonight.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

It is good to see Jon doing well again. 

Actually, he's been doing better and better after a rough start. 

This is a fairly common pattern for Lester.   I remember folks wondering about his stuff both of the last 2 seasons.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last four innings.  I got to follow them after getting back in from class I teach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BizzaroLaw. Show BizzaroLaw's posts

Thanks