Have people forgotten what helped the Sox win?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Have people forgotten what helped the Sox win?

In 04, sure there were Pedro, Manny, Ortiz, Schilling. But that roster was  filled out with the likes of: Mueller, Millar, Bellhorn, Embree, Timlin, Dinardo, Daubach, Mientkiewicz, Kapler, Roberts.

In 07, there were a few remaining stars, but were bouyed by youngsters like: Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Papelbon, Okajima.

But now? Fans ridicule the signing of Punto. Just like they laughed at, and mispronounced Millar and Mueller.

And fans want to ship 3 high level prospects for Gio Gonzalez. Imagine if the Sox had done the Johan Santana deal? They'd be without at least Lester or Ellsbury AND more good prospects and fans would be griping about the 23mil a year guy who hasn't stayed healthy in a few years.

Successful teams need to find decent players at lower salaries, and let their young players progress through the system. NOT overpay for free agents and empty the farm system for a marginal front line pitcher.

Besides, LAA already won the offseason Championship rallying late in the series over Miami.

Lester, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury...these guys are going to do what they've been doing. What we need is to find players in the Millar/Mueller/Timlin/Roberts/Embree mold. Not players in the JD Drew/Renteria/Lackey/Lugo mold, overpaid, unneeded commodities.

Sox spend to much money as it is. They need to let some of this garbage money reduce, get past the point of paying players to play for other teams, let the youngsters progress, let the farm system do the good job they've been doing, and go forward from there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Have people forgotten what helped the Sox win?

I agree with the closing paragraph in complete, glad to see I am not alone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Have people forgotten what helped the Sox win?:
    I agree with the closing paragraph in complete, glad to see I am not alone.
    Posted by BurritoT

So, is that we we trade the Weilands and Lowries and get the Puntos and Shoppach's? The statement makes no sense. If we want the youngsters via the farm system to be the future then don't trade them away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am sorry is the pitcher from Houston an old man? Is he not young? Is Lowrie the second coming of Lou Gehrig?  Is Weiland Alan Embree? Or even Scott Williamson for that matter?

Just because we say "go young" it does not mean we cannot trade some younger guys does it? 

Shoppach is certainly younger than Tek. 

Maybe you took the post literally and decided that we want all the vetrans to be moved out, anyone over 30 is forbidden to play here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I am sorry is the pitcher from Houston an old man? Is he not young? Is Lowrie the second coming of Lou Gehrig?  Is Weiland Alan Embree? Or even Scott Williamson for that matter? Just because we say "go young" it does not mean we cannot trade some younger guys does it? 
    Posted by BurritoT

Mark Melancon (DOB 3-28-85) is younger than Jed Lowrie (DOB 4-17-84) and older than Kyle Weiland (DOB 9-12-86).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Who in the hell wants Jed Lowrie around? I was not one of those two years ago panting about giving the SS job to Lowrie.  

That was a good trade the other day, Lowries value in the end was in what he brought back in exchange.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Have people forgotten what helped the Sox win? : So, is that we we trade the Weilands and Lowries and get the Puntos and Shoppach's? The statement makes no sense. If we want the youngsters via the farm system to be the future then don't trade them away.
    Posted by Alibiike

People have been waiting for Lowrie for 3 years, it's not going to happen here, and he still had some trade value. Melancon is worth FAR MORE to the Sox than those two: a utility IFer and 6/7th starter. But you obviously want to look at the players traded, and not the one traded for. Pure idiocy. Especially when it's a 26 year old top bullpen arm.

Shoppach...umm, did you prefer Varitek? At this point, I didn't. I like him for his intelligence, but as a hitter or fielder, he's a total nothing now. People keep preaching Lav as the backup, but last year was the first time he'd shown ANY ability to actually get behind the plate on a regular basis, and he did it in the minors. To jump him straight into the majors would be an unmitigated disaster behind the plate. Let the farm do their work, read my post.

As for Punto...the guy's going to get about 120 at bats...so you can give that slot to a kid (Iglesias?)who needs regular at bats and limit his progression...OR you sign a capable major league verteran. Hmmmmmm.

You really look at is as trading Lowrie/Weiland for Shoppach/Punto? Don't let the facts get in the way of an irrational rant.

Are the Sox better with:
    Weiland
    Lowrie
    Varitek

Or:
    Melancon
    Punto
    Shoppach

It's really not even close to me. I'll take JUST Melancon over the top 3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Have people forgotten what helped the Sox win? : So, is that we we trade the Weilands and Lowries and get the Puntos and Shoppach's? The statement makes no sense. If we want the youngsters via the farm system to be the future then don't trade them away.
    Posted by Alibiike

Did Boston get Melencon in return?  Melencon is already a proven major league pitcher while Weiland isnt.  Both are close to be the same age.  Meaning there is no difference in age between these two.  For Lowrie, he is going to be 28 years old starting next season with too many history of injuries.  It cost Boston more money to put Lowrie on DL every year and call someone up via minor league or bring a new player via trade like Aviles than having Prunto to be a full time utility player.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Prunto is Prunto, not everyone can be an all*star. Melencon for Lowrie and Weiland may go down as one of Bostons better trades in the last 10 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Prunto is Prunto, not everyone can be an all*star; hopefully when we need him he will not be on the DL like Jed Lowrie. Melencon for Lowrie and Weiland may go down as one of Bostons better trades in the last 10 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

This whole thread is very sensible, I approve of your mindsets. It's far too early to tell what Cherington will be like as a GM, but right now he has shown 1) an ability to act under a plan, in this case being to put a competitive, under the luxury tax team on the field for one year 2) faith in the right players and/or the willingness to not ship out guys coming off a bad year, and 3) the smarts to find a good-fit deal that nobody was expecting.

I will say one thing though...it's a mistake to criticize the opportunity the Sox gave Jed Lowrie just because we have the benefit of hindsight. It's quite clear that what he lacked was health, but that wasn't apparent a few years ago. His talent is still there, and if health hadn't been a problem, I think he would have worked out nicely. As it is, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he put a nice year together next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The more this offseason wears on, the more I like Cherrington.  I would imagine a new GM, still under the massive shadow of theo Epstein, would want to make a statement.  But Ben has shrewdly held back, knowing the market is goofy this year and the level of talent not good beyond the top end of non-pitchers.  Though at quick glance it looks like not much has been done, the roster is slowly but surely being solidified in a nice way.  Melancon was a sneaky awesome deal for a young arm coming in to his own.  meanwhile, after not wasting money on papelbon, he (they) has (have) waited out the closer market, and now it looks like a guy like Madson could come cheap if they want him.  You gotta know when to hold 'em.  Punto and Aviles, assuming one is not a chip in a bigger move to come, are spark plugs as utility guys.  They wanted Papi, and they got him, surely based on the respect of the arbitration offer.  We could argue whether Papi is worth the money this year (I think he is), but, the club obviously does, and they got their man.  

Now, just gotta see about a starting pitcher.  No easy task given what is out there.  But, given this rock and hard place, maybe the developing strategy is:  3 strong starters are in place:  between Bard, Matsuzaka, Aceves and (plug in AAA breakout here), there is the back end.  And, though the ro could be stronger, just build one heck of a pen behind it.  

Dunno.

But, I am liking how Cherrington has slowly, methodically, and smartly gone about this weird off-season, even in the face of a rabid fan base/press calling for Yankee-like throwing of money no matter what at the problem.

You got to know when to hold 'em.  Know when to fold 'em.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In 04, sure there were Pedro, Manny, Ortiz, Schilling. But that roster was  filled out with the likes of: Mueller, Millar, Bellhorn, Embree, Timlin, Dinardo, Daubach, Mientkiewicz, Kapler, Roberts.

In 07, there were a few remaining stars, but were bouyed by youngsters like: Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Papelbon, Okajima.

But now? Fans ridicule the signing of Punto. Just like they laughed at, and mispronounced Millar and Mueller.

And fans want to ship 3 high level prospects for Gio Gonzalez. Imagine if the Sox had done the Johan Santana deal? They'd be without at least Lester or Ellsbury AND more good prospects and fans would be griping about the 23mil a year guy who hasn't stayed healthy in a few years.

Successful teams need to find decent players at lower salaries, and let their young players progress through the system. NOT overpay for free agents and empty the farm system for a marginal front line pitcher.

Besides, LAA already won the offseason Championship rallying late in the series over Miami.

Lester, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury...these guys are going to do what they've been doing. What we need is to find players in the Millar/Mueller/Timlin/Roberts/Embree mold. Not players in the JD Drew/Renteria/Lackey/Lugo mold, overpaid, unneeded commodities.

Sox spend to much money as it is. They need to let some of this garbage money reduce, get past the point of paying players to play for other teams, let the youngsters progress, let the farm system do the good job they've been doing, and go forward from there.

Nice post, but I would like to mention a few things:

1) We had previously signed Manny to the 2nd biggest contract of alltime. I'm not sure we win any rings without him (even at $20M/yr).

2) Do we win without Damon, another high priced FA signing by Dan D.?

3) We previously had traded two great young arms for Pedro (Pavano and Tony Armas Jr.)

4) Theo traded some top prospects for Schilling (Fossum, Lyon, and de la Rosa.

5) Theo signed Keith Foulke to close to a record contract for a closer at that time. 

6) We also traded some other prospects for some pieces to the 2004 puzzle:
      Phil Dumatrait & Tyler Pelland for Scott Williamson
      David Pauley, Jay Payton, & Ramon vazquez for Dave Roberts

7) We also added these pieces to the 2007 puzzle as FA signings or trading away good prospects for key players:
      Signed Julio Lugo for way too much money
      Signed JD Drew to $14M/yr x 5
      Traded HanRam, Anibal Sanchez and 2 other kids for Beckett & Lowell 
      Traded Andy Marte, G. Moto, and Shoppach for Coco Crisp & David Riske
      Outlandishly outbid the world for Dice-K

The history of our rings is dependent on our costly FA signings (they just happened to work out better back then) and several prospects traded for key components of each winning season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Let's face is, Lowire and Weiland flat out pipe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

couldnt agree more with the original post

we need some hard nosed, gutsy, durable, committed ball players, and some hungry youth, not more over paid over pampered multi millionaire show ponies past their prime.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

It seems that everyone flocks to threads that are started by Alibi Ike. Is it because everyone agees with him. Is it because he is reasonable, logical, and astute on all things Red Sox? Is it because he is optimistic, loyal, hopeful, and patient with his Red Sox? Is it because he thinks all things over carefully and intensively before he commits himself on his wel-thought out deep opinions.? I am curious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It wasnt started by alibi ike Utica...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In 04, sure there were Pedro, Manny, Ortiz, Schilling. But that roster was  filled out with the likes of: Mueller, Millar, Bellhorn, Embree, Timlin, Dinardo, Daubach, Mientkiewicz, Kapler, Roberts. In 07, there were a few remaining stars, but were bouyed by youngsters like: Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Papelbon, Okajima. But now? Fans ridicule the signing of Punto. Just like they laughed at, and mispronounced Millar and Mueller. And fans want to ship 3 high level prospects for Gio Gonzalez. Imagine if the Sox had done the Johan Santana deal? They'd be without at least Lester or Ellsbury AND more good prospects and fans would be griping about the 23mil a year guy who hasn't stayed healthy in a few years. Successful teams need to find decent players at lower salaries, and let their young players progress through the system. NOT overpay for free agents and empty the farm system for a marginal front line pitcher. Besides, LAA already won the offseason Championship rallying late in the series over Miami. Lester, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury...these guys are going to do what they've been doing. What we need is to find players in the Millar/Mueller/Timlin/Roberts/Embree mold. Not players in the JD Drew/Renteria/Lackey/Lugo mold, overpaid, unneeded commodities. Sox spend to much money as it is. They need to let some of this garbage money reduce, get past the point of paying players to play for other teams, let the youngsters progress, let the farm system do the good job they've been doing, and go forward from there. Nice post, but I would like to mention a few things: 1) We had previously signed Manny to the 2nd biggest contract of alltime. I'm not sure we win any rings without him (even at $20M/yr). 2) Do we win without Damon, another high priced FA signing by Dan D.? 3) We previously had traded two great young arms for Pedro (Pavano and Tony Armas Jr.) 4) Theo traded some top prospects for Schilling (Fossum, Lyon, and de la Rosa. 5) Theo signed Keith Foulke to close to a record contract for a closer at that time.  6) We also traded some other prospects for some pieces to the 2004 puzzle:   Phil Dumatrait & Tyler Pelland for Scott Williamson   David Pauley, Jay Payton, & Ramon vazquez for Dave Roberts 7) We also added these pieces to the 2007 puzzle as FA signings or trading away good prospects for key players:   Signed Julio Lugo for way too much money   Signed JD Drew to $14M/yr x 5   Traded HanRam, Anibal Sanchez and 2 other kids for Beckett & Lowell    Traded Andy Marte, G. Moto, and Shoppach for Coco Crisp & David Riske   Outlandishly outbid the world for Dice-K The history of our rings is dependent on our costly FA signings (they just happened to work out better back then) and several prospects traded for key components of each winning season.
    Posted by moonslav59

Dave Roberts was acquired for caeer minor leaguer Henri Stanley.

Acquiring Jay Payton (with Pauley and Vazquez) was the deal that got Roberts OUT of Boston after the World Series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Assuming that Bard is going into the rotation, our BP consisted of Aceves, Albers, and Morales, before the trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

As it stands now, the rotation is Beckett / Lester / Buchholz / Aceves / Bard

The bullpen is Melancon / Jenks / Albers / Morales / Bowden / Doubront / Atchison.

I don't like either one.  I'd prefer to have one of Bard/Aceves in the rotation, since I don't think either has the durability to last a full season.  The only bright side is if all things go well, only one of them has to.  The other might be replaced by Daisuke at the AS break.

The bullpen still looks weak, although I might have forgotten someone.  Bowden and Doubront are both out of options, but not all that inspiring. It is very possible the Sox still add one of Madson, Cordero or Lidge, since there are not many teams left looking for the closing jobs each of them wants.  It might even be just us and Cincy, leaving 3 pitchers for 2 teams.  and they might simply go with Chapman

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Not players in the JD Drew/Renteria/Lackey/Lugo (9M) mold, overpaid, unneeded commodities

Lugo was wire to wire starting SS on 2007 title team.

No 2007 title without Drew's heroics.

You have the right idea, but you overstate it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dave Roberts was acquired for caeer minor leaguer Henri Stanley.

Acquiring Jay Payton (with Pauley and Vazquez) was the deal that got Roberts OUT of Boston after the World Series.

I stand corrected. Thanks notin!

As it stands now, the rotation is Beckett / Lester / Buchholz / Aceves / Bard

The bullpen is Melancon / Jenks / Albers / Morales / Bowden / Doubront / Atchison.

I don't like either one.  I'd prefer to have one of Bard/Aceves in the rotation, since I don't think either has the durability to last a full season.  The only bright side is if all things go well, only one of them has to.  The other might be replaced by Daisuke at the AS break.

The bullpen still looks weak, although I might have forgotten someone.  Bowden and Doubront are both out of options, but not all that inspiring. It is very possible the Sox still add one of Madson, Cordero or Lidge, since there are not many teams left looking for the closing jobs each of them wants.  It might even be just us and Cincy, leaving 3 pitchers for 2 teams.  and they might simply go with Chapman.

Nice take, notin. Perhaps the Sox are waiting for the firesale late in the signing window.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not players in the JD Drew/Renteria/Lackey/Lugo (9M) mold, overpaid, unneeded commodities Lugo was wire to wire starting SS on 2007 title team. No 2007 title without Drew's heroics. You have the right idea, but you overstate it.
    Posted by hankwilliams

Exact softy words, but you choose to continue the lies and deceptions about your past.  We all understand why. With a past like softy's, it's understandable you'd want to change identities, but the warped part of your whole twisted little world, is that you spout the same nonsense softy used, so what's the purpose of pretending you aren't him?

That's a rhetorical question. 

No need to circle-jerk drivel of a specious nature ad nauseum to dim bulbs and union slackers, commies, pinkos, & infidels somewhere neaar their median average.

I mean, what two fools would use an incredibly moronic term like "median average" and also happen to hold the same positions on every single baseball and political issue under the sun? What two fools would continue using the term over and over agin, rather than admit, they have no clue.

Don't answer, please.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Nice post, but I would like to mention a few things: 1) We had previously signed Manny to the 2nd biggest contract of alltime. I'm not sure we win any rings without him (even at $20M/yr). 2) Do we win without Damon, another high priced FA signing by Dan D.? 3) We previously had traded two great young arms for Pedro (Pavano and Tony Armas Jr.) 4) Theo traded some top prospects for Schilling (Fossum, Lyon, and de la Rosa. 5) Theo signed Keith Foulke to close to a record contract for a closer at that time.  6) We also traded some other prospects for some pieces to the 2004 puzzle:   Phil Dumatrait & Tyler Pelland for Scott Williamson   David Pauley, Jay Payton, & Ramon vazquez for Dave Roberts 7) We also added these pieces to the 2007 puzzle as FA signings or trading away good prospects for key players:   Signed Julio Lugo for way too much money   Signed JD Drew to $14M/yr x 5   Traded HanRam, Anibal Sanchez and 2 other kids for Beckett & Lowell    Traded Andy Marte, G. Moto, and Shoppach for Coco Crisp & David Riske   Outlandishly outbid the world for Dice-K The history of our rings is dependent on our costly FA signings (they just happened to work out better back then) and several prospects traded for key components of each winning season.
    Posted by moonslav59

Fair points, however:

Trading for Pedro was a good move. He was an elite pitcher coming into his prime, you pay to get those guys. Pedro = Felix on today's market, what they got for Pedro is about half of what it would take to get Felix now. All told, excellent trade. I'm not against ever making trtades, but you must pick and choose, and going after an undeniably elite player is a risk, and cost worth taking/paying.

Manny got a record deal at the time, agreed. But, again, we're talking about an established, elite player coming into his prime. Not Crawford at 30, or Ortiz at 36, or an oft-injured Drew that everyone thought was overpaid. All told, that contract, however ridiculous for us "real" people was actually fairly good value. They paid what the market set, they didn't SET the market (ala Drew) or meet an EXTREMELY inflated one (ala Crawford).

Schilling - Again, a proven commodity. Older when they got him, but they got him for 2 reason: to beat the Yankees, and to win in the playoffs. He excelled in both categories. I think they identified a true need, and went and filled it with the best piece they could fill it with.

I'm not against trading OR free agent signing, I just feel like the Sox have been spinning out of control for a few years, and really need to reign it back in and make intelligent choices, not "I have the most money" choices. Not "I better react to all this negative fan attention" choices. And DEFINITELY NOT "I've loved this player for YEARS!" choices.

I agree about the history of the last 2 rings...but it's left me asking he question "was it worth it". I am not of the Al Davis "just WIN BABY!" mindset. It should mean something more than you paid the most money, or went out and aqcuired the most valuable players.

To steal from "Moneyball", After getting a record offer to come to the Sox, he (Beane) turned it down and talked about how winning is one thing...but doing it in Oakland, with a small payroll, and beating the 9 figure beasts in the East would mean something FAR more, and would change the game of baseball. That's taking it to an extreme, but I was fine in the early 2000s when the Yanks were getting up towards 200mil, and the Sox were around 120, and around the 6th highest payroll in baseball. It made winning more meaningful and exciting. Now? Winning is an expectation, some fans take it as their "right" that this team WILL win. That's not fun. At least for me it's not. The rabid fandom of this team was built on tradition, now it's being built on money. If winning means needing the second, or highest payroll in baseball, then I don't care about winning.

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Not players in the JD Drew/Renteria/Lackey/Lugo (9M) mold, overpaid, unneeded commodities Lugo was wire to wire starting SS on 2007 title team. No 2007 title without Drew's heroics. You have the right idea, but you overstate it.
    Posted by hankwilliams

I am SO SICK of people spouting this nonsense.

Sox played 14 postseason games. He had 11 RBI. Seems good. Except he had a total of 7 in 2 games that ended a combined 25-3!!!! That famous Grand Slam everyone loved so much? The final was 12-2! Sure his HR came in the first, which CLeveland responded to scoring 1 in the top of the 2nd, before giving up 6 MORE in the 3rd. He had 2 RBI and 3 Ks through the World Series. HOW WAS HE THE DIFFERENCE MAKER!?!?!?! He had a total of 4 EXTRA BASE HITS THROUGH THE ENTIRE 14 GAME PLAYOFFS!

He hit in blowouts, when EVERYONE hit. Even if you remove his existence from the series, and assume zeroes across the board for his replacement, the Sox still end up World Series Champs over Colorado.

He had one good month in his 5 f u c k i n g years in Boston. He was a bum. He wasn't worth half what they paid him. Please let this be the last time anyone disgraces this board with praise of Drew!

Sections
Shortcuts