Have to love Youk

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Have to love Youk

I could not agree more...I was floored when I heard Youk was playing today..I was sure after the way he got beat up that he would take the day off...but clearly he is a lot tougher. I guess bursitis ( and in the hip no less) doesn't bother him quite the way it bothers Ortiz..added to that he's playing with a hernia which people tell me is incredibly painful.. He is more of a leader..funny..all the radio guys were speculating that Ortiz looked fine in warmups..no discomfort. I don't think he did himself any favors last night or today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

But Dannycater and his followers think that everyone should play hurt and that the FO and Tito should play hurt players no matter what? The oldtimers say that the medical staff and Tito are pampering those who are being rested and kept out due to injuries.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

I don't think we should judge someone else's level of pain, unless we are walking in their shoes. Pink hat fans, gotta love them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

JackBU is the fly on the wall in the dugout, clubhouse, and executive offices. Listen to him carefully and you will know everything that goes on behind closed doors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Have to love Youk:
    Here is a guy who moved over to third with not one complaint.  Sure he played the position at times during other seasons, but there is a big difference to jumping across the the diamond to a new position full time. Here he is playing injured and the pain is obvious.  I wonder how he feels about big sloppy sitting out two games because of back spasms? I think we have our new dh next year and his name is Youk. 
    Posted by jackbu

Agreed. Last week, in a post defending Petey, I said he was the only Sox player who gives you 100% every day, but I think I should have included Youk in that category. I generally really like it when guys give it their all, play hurt, but I suppose at some point you could be hurting the team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

last nights post game NESN replayed youks interview pre game. said the doctors told him he can not make his injury worse by playing, he will play when and if he can, with days off as needed, sugery after the season.  It seems to me back issues would/could be made worse by batting/swinging.  gotta love youk, being critical of papi  is unfounded. playing hurt isn't going to help anybody, may hurt everybody, in the long run

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Have to love Youk:
    Here is a guy who moved over to third with not one complaint.  Sure he played the position at times during other seasons, but there is a big difference to jumping across the the diamond to a new position full time. Here he is playing injured and the pain is obvious.  I wonder how he feels about big sloppy sitting out two games because of back spasms? I think we have our new dh next year and his name is Youk. 
    Posted by jackbu

What a load of ....

First, Youk wanted to move back to 3B. He always thought of himself as a 3B anyway, so he was hardly sacrificing anything.

So he's playing hurt. Maybe he shouldn't. He hit .209 with 2 HR, 4 RBIs in August in 12 games -- don't forget he did go on the DL or are you ignoring that fact because it doesn't fit your thesis. And he's batting .181 with 0 HR and 2 RBIs in nine games in September. So since the end of July, he's played 20 games, batting about .200 with 2 HR and 6 RBIs. Maybe he should go on the DL. He's hardly helping the team playing hurt.

It's great when guys gut it out if they can produce at somehwat of a respectable level. But as bad as he's been, he's not doing the Red Sox any favors by playing.

As for next year, I'll take Ortiz. Keep Youk at 3B. Ortiz has been outproducing Youk even when Youk was healthy. And this is at least the third year in a row that Youk has been on the DL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They really should be DHing Youk when Papi is out. Play Lowrie at 3rd.
    The less stress on Youk when the DH spot is available, the better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Youk needs to start hitting otherwise play Lowrie or Aviles. Like I said, I admire the guy for trying to gut it out, but if he's just batting just .200 the rest of the way, he's not helping. 

As it is, if Ortiz is back in the lineup, he needs to be batting cleanup in front of Youk, regardless of who's pitching.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Nobody will deny that Youk is from the old school and that deserves a cheer!  However his bottom line does not match his grit and just maybe he should take a seat and let Lowrie in there at 3rd - it would be very hard for him to not to improve on what Youk has done lately for the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I respect Youk as much as the next guy butis it not frusterating how often this guy gets hurt and it will not be very frusterating when he goes down again with like 5 games left.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

In Response to Re: Have to love Youk:
    In Response to Have to love Youk : What a load of .... First, Youk wanted to move back to 3B. He always thought of himself as a 3B anyway, so he was hardly sacrificing anything. So he's playing hurt. Maybe he shouldn't. He hit .209 with 2 HR, 4 RBIs in August in 12 games -- don't forget he did go on the DL or are you ignoring that fact because it doesn't fit your thesis. And he's batting .181 with 0 HR and 2 RBIs in nine games in September. So since the end of July, he's played 20 games, batting about .200 with 2 HR and 6 RBIs. Maybe he should go on the DL. He's hardly helping the team playing hurt. It's great when guys gut it out if they can produce at somehwat of a respectable level. But as bad as he's been, he's not doing the Red Sox any favors by playing. As for next year, I'll take Ortiz. Keep Youk at 3B. Ortiz has been outproducing Youk even when Youk was healthy. And this is at least the third year in a row that Youk has been on the DL.
    Posted by royf19

Now this comment I agree with. Have the rest of you been watching the same games I have. Yuk has quickly become the strike out king of the team. He needs to sit and heal and put someone else at 3rd who can put the bat on the ball. My suggestion for now would be Aviles who I believe is hitting over 300 since joining the Red Sox and has had some clutch hits as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Youk needs to start hitting otherwise play Lowrie or Aviles. Like I said, I admire the guy for trying to gut it out, but if he's just batting just .200 the rest of the way, he's not helping.  As it is, if Ortiz is back in the lineup,he needs to be batting cleanup in front of Youk, regardless of who's pitching.
    Posted by royf19

This will go against Tito's L-R-L philosophy.
    It goes to show Youk's importance in the line-up. And I think the FO will somehow address the fact he may no longer be durable...not that he ever really was.

The need for a RH bat hitting clean-up if he can no longer cut it in the field becomes mandatory.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I am a big Youk fan but to some extent perception with fans becomes a reality.

Player A won't play with a hangnail - JD Drew

Player B is a dirt dog the guts it out all the time...

Reality from 2007 -2010 Youk played in 9 more games than JD Drew.

Just saying...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

It's the ghost of September past, I swear I saw Mike Lowell playing third the other night. Can't move, can't run, can't hit, but hey, the fans just adore him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What was it that Ortiz referred to himslef as recently? Something about "lean machine, or strong as an ox," I don't recall specifically.

While the "beast" is having back spasms, Youk is showing us why he is who he is, an awesome ball player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I am a big Youk fan but to some extent perception with fans becomes a reality. Player A won't play with a hangnail - JD Drew Player B is a dirt dog the guts it out all the time... Reality from 2007 -2010 Youk played in 9 more games than JD Drew. Just saying...
    Posted by fivekatz

And in those "Nine More Games" he has 15 more Hrs, almost 100 more RBIs, Two Allstar Appearances, Two top 6 Mvp award finishes, and a Gold Glove Award so I totally understand the reason he gets a pass from the fans... He's Earned it !! Just Saying !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Wow comparing Youk to Drew is a sad state!  Youk has indeed earned a free pass for any slump or injury he incurrs. You want to compare Youk to Drew fivekatz?

Same for Pedroia, he is entitled to a bad stretch or even a bad season... Drew is no Pedroia, and he certainly is no Mr. Youk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

And here we have the same people, who were all over Mike Lowell saying he was so terrible, praising Youk for playing hurt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

anybody here ever had back spasms?? i have and i can tell you it is the most debilitating injury i've ever had, extremely painful to take a deep breath nevermind play baseball so the two idiots that started this thread pleeze shut it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--crawful. Show the--crawful's posts

with all the injuries on the SOX again, it will be a blessing that they won't have to extend the season into the playoffs.
    this will give these hard-nosed ballplayers more time to heal and prepare themselves for next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

How can the machine, the "beast" be suffering from them then? He said he is a monster just two weeks ago, how debilitating is it? Or are you just generalizing the affect?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

As often happens on BDC it seems the "personality factors" blurred another point about two players.

I was not talking about productivity when I brought up Drew. Rather that perception of players and in the context of this converstaion their durability doesn't match up always with realities.

I was strictly dealing with this general belief that Youk is a horse and Drew a fragile player that bugs out of games for a hangnail. Not RBI, not HR, not visible demeanor.

Sections
Shortcuts