Have we seen enough of Lavarnway and Iggy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Have we seen enough of Lavarnway and Iggy?

There has been a lot of disagreement on these boards over these 2 players. Perhaps more than any other AAA players to date.
    Do you think we have seen enough of Lavarnway defensively to agree he is not a major league catcher? I still see stiffness and awkwardness in his defensive game. I also feel an uncomfortable ness with the pitchers throwing to him. Can he further improve? Will he ever be major league average? I still have my doubts. 
    Granteded, his offense has been non existent, but that still could come. But does anyone have confidence that with Lavarnway starting next year as the #1 catcher?

What to make of Iggy? His defense is very evident. He is superb. How much is superb worth over steady if Iggy's offense is awful? Will the Sox team in the next year or two be constructed to win games 2-1, or will they continue to try and lead the league in runs scored? I can live with either Iggy or Avilles for the next year while Boegarts or Marrero are ready. Does Iggy have any trade value? Does Avilles? 
    I happen to think that Marrero is the future SS, can Boegarts play another position? Or what is he worth in a trade to upgrade pitching?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Have we seen enough of Lavarnway and Iggy?

You still see stiffness and awkwardness. Really??? 
    You feel an uncomfortable ness with pitchers throwing to him. Really???
    How do these feelings manifest themselves.
    I see Lavarnway as possibly a left fielder who'll bat maybe .270-.280 with decent power. He was an outfielder prior to being asked to catch.
    I don't see Iggy ever being any thing other than a fringe player, maybe.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

Hilarious - these "experts" remind me of the football fans who in all seriousness claim to know who the best offensive linemen are. Really keepin' an eye on that blocking technique, are ya?

And, for the record: let the young guys play. Or are you waiting for a late run at the playoffs?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

First off. Anyone who wants to write a prospect off after 1 month in the bigs has no idea what they are talking about. That would mean guys like Pedey and many others would have been given up on. And that is just position players. Catchers are a whole different story. Their developmant time is much longer as there is a lot more to it than a regular position player or pitcher. Its more physically demanding, they have a lot more work to do with their pitchers and knowing all the hitters around the league and on and on...Oh, and then theres their own offense, which is usually last on that list because as we all know catching is a defense FIRST position.

Now, although Lav hasnt looked that great behind the plate, he should keep getting time there. I dont think making him the #1 catcher in the organization next year is even a consideration at this point, although I wouldnt write the kid off just yet. Hes only 24 and should still improve some once he learns how to move that big 6'4 frame of his around a little better behind the plate and handle the staff a bit better. I would guess that his offensive numbers have suffered this year due to all the time spent on defense and taking care of his pitching staff. We all know the kid can rake, so I woulkdnt worry about that. He needs to improve that defense in order to prove the scouts wrong who say, at best, hes a BU catcher/1b/DH type.I would go with Salty starting next year and give Lav more time in AAA to work on that defense. By the end of 2013 I think you will know where you stand on both catchers.

As far as Iggy goes...He 22 and relied completely on his defense to get him here. Its not easy to hit MLB pitching. Hes played at an advanced level for his age at every level. His only 22! He was starting to show signs of turning the corner offensively in AAA when he was called up. I would also give him another year in AAA to see if he can indeed turn that offensive corner. Now, is he going to be a 280-300 hitter? probably not. But if he can maintain 240-260ish, which is very possible, with a 320 OBP, that would be easier to deal with considering hes a perenial GG at SS. Ad with Lavarnway, one more year in AAA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

First off. Anyone who wants to write a prospect off after 1 month in the bigs has no idea what they are talking about. That would mean guys like Pedey and many others would have been given up on. And that is just position players. Catchers are a whole different story. Their developmant time is much longer as there is a lot more to it than a regular position player or pitcher. Its more physically demanding, they have a lot more work to do with their pitchers and knowing all the hitters around the league and on and on...Oh, and then theres their own offense, which is usually last on that list because as we all know catching is a defense FIRST position.

Now, although Lav hasnt looked that great behind the plate, he should keep getting time there. I dont think making him the #1 catcher in the organization next year is even a consideration at this point, although I wouldnt write the kid off just yet. Hes only 24 and should still improve some once he learns how to move that big 6'4 frame of his around a little better behind the plate and handle the staff a bit better. I would guess that his offensive numbers have suffered this year due to all the time spent on defense and taking care of his pitching staff. We all know the kid can rake, so I woulkdnt worry about that. He needs to improve that defense in order to prove the scouts wrong who say, at best, hes a BU catcher/1b/DH type.I would go with Salty starting next year and give Lav more time in AAA to work on that defense. By the end of 2013 I think you will know where you stand on both catchers.

As far as Iggy goes...He 22 and relied completely on his defense to get him here. Its not easy to hit MLB pitching. Hes played at an advanced level for his age at every level. His only 22! He was starting to show signs of turning the corner offensively in AAA when he was called up. I would also give him another year in AAA to see if he can indeed turn that offensive corner. Now, is he going to be a 280-300 hitter? probably not. But if he can maintain 240-260ish, which is very possible, with a 320 OBP, that would be easier to deal with considering hes a perenial GG at SS. Ad with Lavarnway, one more year in AAA.

Amazing! We have guys like Podsednik, Aviles, Ross, and Saltatalamacchia starting for the Red Sox, and you think Iglesias and Lavarnway need more time at AAA? That is too funny!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Brickbat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

Hilarious - these "experts" remind me of the football fans who in all seriousness claim to know who the best offensive linemen are. Really keepin' an eye on that blocking technique, are ya?

And, for the record: let the young guys play. Or are you waiting for a late run at the playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

Those two, plus Kalish, should play everyday.  Heck, they should play under an assumed name in Pawtuckett and for us at night.  These guys need reps every, single day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

At this point let whoever seems the hungriest play. It's like a high school football game blowout. Put in all the kids who might not be quite good enough to start but bust their humps in practice. You might be surprised at the results you wind up with. It could win a couple of positional battles. It could produce a few more wins. It could even make the starters play a little bit harder themselves.

As for the future, I see Lavarnway being an everyday player at C, 1B, DH or LF depending on how the rest of the team turns out. Iggy will have a tougher time. You have a bunch of middle of the road talent at SS right now with Aviles (a good player who should have been traded at a high value) and Ciriaco. And you have Xander waiting in the wings. He's projected as maybe a 3B instead, but Middlebrooks has that all tied up for quite a while. Iggy may never turn into a great hitter, but he'll be a good utility guy if nothing else. And if he CAN become a major league capable hitter, then the only way to use his trade value is to play him...might as well do that in the midst of a lost season.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

My opinion with Lavarnway is I feel he has reached his ceiling as a catcher, and he is currently below average. Part of watching young players is projecting probability and ceiling. I have watched Lavarnway for 2.5 seasons between 3 levels. 

Piggy IMO has been passed in the org by Bogarts and Marrero. Unless traded or position change, both players IMO have a greater probability at SS in th major leagues than Iggy. It would not suprise me to see Marrero starting at SS in June, with Iggy and Bogarts in different orgs next season

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox number one draft pick , Deven Marrero , hit .268 with two homers and nine errors in 71 games at shortstop in Rookie League  Lowell this year.   He shows potential , but certainly nothing to rave about.   He is the same age ( 22 ) as Iglesias.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox number one draft pick , Deven Marrero , hit .268 with two homers and nine errors in 71 games at shortstop in Rookie League  Lowell this year.   He shows potential , but certainly nothing to rave about.   He is the same age ( 22 ) as Iglesias.  

Iggy has dropped to the number 11 prospect in the Red Sox system.  Marrero is 12. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Salty left game with back spasms, so yes we will probably see more of Lavarnway. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Iggy has dropped to the number 11 prospect in the Red Sox system.  Marrero is 12. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

[/QUOTE]

The only difference between the two right now is that Merraro is not with the team.  If Merrero was with the RS, and Iggy in the minors, the posters would be screaming to get rid of Marrero.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Both these guys, and Kalish need a lot of playing tme for the rest of the season.  They'll be that much better for it next year.

Iglesias has come a long way with the bat, but our lineup is no longer positioned to absorb a learning curve in the 9-hole.  Aviles and his .286 OBP needs to be replaced - he's been better than I expected defensively, but not good enough to be a liability at the plate.  I'd suggest letting the spring training battle start now - Iglesias or Ivan de Jesus.  Whoever wins the job starts in 2013, and the other goes to Pawtucket.

Lavarnway was voted IL league defensive catcher of the year.  That's got to account for something.  he caught more games this year than at any point in his career, and now in September it might be taking its toll.  I think a 50/50 split with Lavarnway and Salty would be good for both men.  Maybe you bring in a third C like Mike Napoli or Victor Martinez (who might come pretty cheap, especially if the Tigers miss the post-season) and you have a 3-man C/1B rotation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bump past the idiot

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who is writing off o prospect after 1 month? I have seen Iggy atPortland, Pawtucket and now Boston. That's over 2 years, minus time lost due to injury. Not 1 month. 

Of course I don't care about the errors at the moment. Iggy is a fielding wizard. But I wrote BDC over 1 year ago about his arm and how he needs to clean up his "lazy" throws. I have also seen very minimal plate discipline improvement. He is still making the same mistakes at bat that he made in Portland

Iggys glove still makes him adesirable prospect. I wonder if a player like Iggy has more value with a team like the Giants, pitching based, playing for one run, and in need of SS defense. Iggy is passed, or will be passed by Marrero and Boegarts anyways, and Aviles can hold down the position until they are ready. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Iggy---Brendan Ryanesque. Like the Giants-the M's are built around pitching and defense.

I don't see the Sox keeping a player because of his glove and limited positional flexibility--and no bat. If he could really improve his skill as a bunter--he would be valuable moving runners along--that doesn't seem to be in his game--limited sample size for me seeing him too. He is more of a NL player, similar to a younger Nick Punto.

Lavarnway--is a guy I've  grown attached to; I want to see him do well. I want him to be another Fisk. I want to see him in Boston--not Oakland or the Dodgers--but in Boston. I was hoping the Sox would trade for Kurt Suzuki but he went to the Nats. In my estimation we need an experienced catcher--perhaps Lavanway--or someone else could get us that guy in trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who is writing off o prospect after 1 month? I have seen Iggy atPortland, Pawtucket and now Boston. That's over 2 years, minus time lost due to injury. Not 1 month. 

Of course I don't care about the errors at the moment. Iggy is a fielding wizard. But I wrote BDC over 1 year ago about his arm and how he needs to clean up his "lazy" throws. I have also seen very minimal plate discipline improvement. He is still making the same mistakes at bat that he made in Portland

Iggys glove still makes him adesirable prospect. I wonder if a player like Iggy has more value with a team like the Giants, pitching based, playing for one run, and in need of SS defense. Iggy is passed, or will be passed by Marrero and Boegarts anyways, and Aviles can hold down the position until they are ready. 

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right that a guy like Iggy would have more value to another team. We have two more, IMO, better all-around SS in our system in Bogaerts and Marrerothat would fit this team better.

I do believe that Iggy WILL turn that corner offensivley...I also think he will never be a .280 hitter with a high OBP. Ive noticed a bit more patience at the plate and some better swings from Iggy. Nothing signifigant, but some slight progress.

I think at some point Iggy will be in a trade. Lave still needs work, but is improving great for a guy that has only caught for about 4 years or so.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to greatestNYY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The rumors surrounding John Farrell and the Red Sox won’t go away, especially now that Farrell’s Blue Jays are visiting Boston, where he coached until 2010. Farrell is the top choiceof Red Sox officials to replace Bobby Valentine as the team’s manager in 2013, but he isn’t the only American League manager the Red Sox are considering. The Red Sox will turn to Angels manager Mike Scioscia if the Angels fire Scioscia and Farrell isn’t available, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

The Red Sox are expected to fire Valentine soon after the regular season ends, Nightengale writes. By that point the availability of Farrell, who’s under contract for 2013, and Scioscia, who’s under contract through 2018, should be more clear. Red Sox president Larry Lucchino told Nightengale the team hasn’t made a decision about Valentine’s future in Boston. "We'll re-evaluate it at the end of the season," Lucchino said.

[/QUOTE]

And not a single word on either Iggy or Lava ...

Say what?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very good post, Southpaw

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Amazing! We have guys like Podsednik, Aviles, Ross, and Saltatalamacchia starting for the Red Sox, and you think Iglesias and Lavarnway need more time at AAA? That is too funny!

[/QUOTE]

I could see maybe Iggy playing SS in 2013. But We have one more year of Salty and need to find out next year about his stamina and if he can get his OBP up...Overall he ranks well in offense compared to other MLB catchers. His defense has improved greatly since the end of April, although some here arent smart enough to notice. Lav also demonstrated stamina issues this year along with needing more work on defense and should be in AAA to get as many games behind the plate as he can.

If they decide that Salty isnt the man, they can move him at the deadline and bring Lav back up. They could also platoon the 2 of them, but that would only give one of the catchers, probably salty, the majority of the AB's. BOTH need to get as many AB's and as much time behind the dish as they can...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both these guys, and Kalish need a lot of playing tme for the rest of the season.  They'll be that much better for it next year.

Iglesias has come a long way with the bat, but our lineup is no longer positioned to absorb a learning curve in the 9-hole.  Aviles and his .286 OBP needs to be replaced - he's been better than I expected defensively, but not good enough to be a liability at the plate.  I'd suggest letting the spring training battle start now - Iglesias or Ivan de Jesus.  Whoever wins the job starts in 2013, and the other goes to Pawtucket.

Lavarnway was voted IL league defensive catcher of the year.  That's got to account for something.  he caught more games this year than at any point in his career, and now in September it might be taking its toll.  I think a 50/50 split with Lavarnway and Salty would be good for both men.  Maybe you bring in a third C like Mike Napoli or Victor Martinez (who might come pretty cheap, especially if the Tigers miss the post-season) and you have a 3-man C/1B rotation.

[/QUOTE]

Hehe ... you don't mean he can actually play?

I love how so many are always so negative ... not meaning you, but the ones you are issuing an invite to answer Lava's accomplishments to date.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hehe ... you don't mean he can actually play?

I love how so many are always so negative ... not meaning you, but the ones you are issuing an invite to answer Lava's accomplishments to date.

Sorry dude, Lavarnway is sooo yesterday.  Sure he hit a HR with 4 RBIs, but he went 0-4 today.  Must be DFAd.

Sections
Shortcuts