Have we seen enough of Lavarnway and Iggy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Have we seen enough of Lavarnway and Iggy?

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hehe ... you don't mean he can actually play?

I love how so many are always so negative ... not meaning you, but the ones you are issuing an invite to answer Lava's accomplishments to date.

Sorry dude, Lavarnway is sooo yesterday.  Sure he hit a HR with 4 RBIs, but he went 0-4 today.  Must be DFAd.

[/QUOTE]

Too good, Joe.   :o)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lavarnway looks to have good potential. Salty is the one who will never cut it behind the plate.

Anyone saying "I can live with Aviles" doesn't have any credibility. Aviles is a AAA bat and a double A glove. Iggy is a MLB glove and a AAA bat. Ciriaco and Iglesias are clearly the two value and fit middle infielders with Pedroia for 2013. Whether incompetent management knows that or not, we'll see.

[/QUOTE]

As I've said on other posts, it isn't the value you get from each player, it is the value per $ spent.  If you get mediocre play from Iggy and Lav, but do so at minimum wage, that is a lot of value that can be spent elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

CAtcher is a position of depth for the Sox, and certainly one could be dealt,

I would expect, for reasons related to service time and salary, Lavarnway would bring back more in a trade.  Obviosuly, see what you cna get for both of them and then pull he trigger on one...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Lava Is Not Mlb Material Yet, Salty Needs To Stay......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First off. Anyone who wants to write a prospect off after 1 month in the bigs has no idea what they are talking about. That would mean guys like Pedey and many others would have been given up on. And that is just position players. Catchers are a whole different story. Their developmant time is much longer as there is a lot more to it than a regular position player or pitcher. Its more physically demanding, they have a lot more work to do with their pitchers and knowing all the hitters around the league and on and on...Oh, and then theres their own offense, which is usually last on that list because as we all know catching is a defense FIRST position.

Now, although Lav hasnt looked that great behind the plate, he should keep getting time there. I dont think making him the #1 catcher in the organization next year is even a consideration at this point, although I wouldnt write the kid off just yet. Hes only 24 and should still improve some once he learns how to move that big 6'4 frame of his around a little better behind the plate and handle the staff a bit better. I would guess that his offensive numbers have suffered this year due to all the time spent on defense and taking care of his pitching staff. We all know the kid can rake, so I woulkdnt worry about that. He needs to improve that defense in order to prove the scouts wrong who say, at best, hes a BU catcher/1b/DH type.I would go with Salty starting next year and give Lav more time in AAA to work on that defense. By the end of 2013 I think you will know where you stand on both catchers.

As far as Iggy goes...He 22 and relied completely on his defense to get him here. Its not easy to hit MLB pitching. Hes played at an advanced level for his age at every level. His only 22! He was starting to show signs of turning the corner offensively in AAA when he was called up. I would also give him another year in AAA to see if he can indeed turn that offensive corner. Now, is he going to be a 280-300 hitter? probably not. But if he can maintain 240-260ish, which is very possible, with a 320 OBP, that would be easier to deal with considering hes a perenial GG at SS. Ad with Lavarnway, one more year in AAA.

[/QUOTE]

Very good post, Southpaw

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Yaz

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lava Is Not Mlb Material Yet, Salty Needs To Stay......

[/QUOTE]

I agree tha Salty should stay for at least his final arb year befor a decision is made. hes made great strides defensivly and working with the pitchers. He NEEDS to get that OBP around 320 and cut down on the K's a little. One more year of development from Lav and 1 more year of Salty as the main guy behind the plate in 2013 should be enough to give you your answer for the future. Catcher is NOT a position of need so we can do this for another year.

We also have Swihart, Vasquez, Butler who are behind lavarnway on the depth chart...

Sections
Shortcuts