Headed to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Headed to Boston

Wherever we go, NY, SF, Rome, Paris, Barcelona etc., I recommend a Hop On and Off Bus. Go on the whole trip as a reconnaissance & then again picking spots where you wish to get off & then on again---much cheaper than taking taxis.

I write this having lived in the SF Bay area for 40+ years but 1st 21 are in Maine & military called me away. Still come to New England once per year as have family in Portland, Portsmouth & Newburyport(someone mentioned that town & great seafood restaurants & bay views).

Someone also mentioned the Freedom Trail---Look it up on Google   On it you'll see Boston Common,  Ben Franklin statue,  site of Boston Massacre,  Paul Revere's House,  The Old North Church,  the USS Constitution,  the Bunker Hill Monument etc. and more.  Boston is a great walking city and one neighborhood you might wish to see is Beacon Hill with narrow, tree shaded streets lined with old brownstones and townhouses.  Always, one of our favorites is the Union Oysterhouse, Boston’s oldest restaurant, touristy but still VG.  I still have a T-Shirt, " Eat Oysters, Love Longer". http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/  .

If you need some Carbs after the walk, the NorthEnd Italian section on Hanover St has a plethora of pasta/pizza & garlicky places !!!

If you make a trip to SF, a great walking town too and quaint like Boston as we are the West Coast Bay Area, I will give you an itinerary.

SF Giant(AT& T) park downtown like Fenway is awesome !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

I would like to thank everyone who responded I got some great ideas on how to make this the best experience I can ...... THANK YOU !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Update.........tickets have been purchased !!!!!!!

We will be going to the June 25 26 27 games ......Tuesday and Wednesday against the Rockies and Thurs against the blue jays ........

Tuesday we got loge box 102 row BB.......... Wednesday right field box 8 row A ....Thursday Green Monster M7 row 1!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited I cant wait for his birthday to tell him its killing me to not be able to talk about it !!!!

On a side note anybody know anything about the howardjohnson right across the street from fenway? ........Rooms available just wondering if its clean ....safe?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Also anybody got any cool ideas on telling my son for his birthday ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to rsinsider's comment:

Have Big Papi or his favorite player give him a call.  I know it's a longshot, but what the heck?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Have Big Papi or his favorite player give him a call.  I know it's a longshot, but what the heck?  

The Sheriff had a good idea here.Another idea is to make up a big sign for him to bring to the game saying"This is my first game at Fenway" and give it to him for his birthday.That also might get him a free hot dog from Remy and/or some TV face time.You have some great tickets for all 3 games and you'll be very visable to the cameras.You may want to Tivo the games if you have Tivo as well. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

The Sheriff had a good idea here.Another idea is to make up a big sign for him to bring to the game saying"This is my first game at Fenway" and give it to him for his birthday.That also might get him a free hot dog from Remy and/or some TV face time.You have some great tickets for all 3 games and you'll be very visable to the cameras.You may want to Tivo the games if you have Tivo as well. 

That's an excellent idea.

Record the game, in case he get's TV time and he's have something to watch and laugh about for years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would look to stay in Copley Square....there are a few Hotels there, the Marriott is nice, prob be around 300 a night. Copley Sq is about 1.3 miles to Fenway so you can walk to the games.....it is also right near Prudential Center, which has good restaurants and is also where you will get the Duck Tour that someone mentioned. Also walking distance to Newbury street....which is a nice place to strol with high end shops...especialy for your wife is she is coming with you. Make sure to do the Freedom trail walk....starting over near Boston Commons.....there are some guides that do the part of the walk and tell you all the history...I think your 9 year old will love it.....takes you to the Old North Church....Paul Reveres house.....the State House....Faneuil Hall...and through Little Italy. As an out of towner who travels alot, Boston is one of my favorite towns, not just for the Sox but because of the history and the people....make sure to stop in an Irish Pub for lunch too....part of the Boston experience.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

When they send the tickets, insider, the envelope won't say Boston Red Sox, on the return address, just 4 Yawkey Way, Boston, MA. Tell him something came for him in the mail. When he open it, say Happy Birthday, is it OK if I come with you?

When you're walking around the outside of the park, look for the statues of Ted Williams and  the Teammates

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

If you have time, take the train to Salem and go to Harrison's Comics - appealing to kids of all ages. Bring your wallet, there are many things to delight the eyes - from comics to plush to figures that range from $Yikes-you-wished-I-loved-you-that-much! to $Ah-much-more-reasonable.  They carry Marvel/DC stuff, but they also carry manga as well as video game/movie/tv show/nostalgic memorabilia.   I usually troll the North Shore when I'm there - that's where all my Friends-n-Family are.  I know of lots of good pubs...but that will have to wait about 12 more years...

Cambridge is always a great place to spend a day...specially Harvard Square.

Deff take the Fenway tour - my daughter and I have taken it several times. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Yoshimi25's comment:

If you have time, take the train to Salem and go to Harrison's Comics - appealing to kids of all ages. Bring your wallet, there are many things to delight the eyes - from comics to plush to figures that range from $Yikes-you-wished-I-loved-you-that-much! to $Ah-much-more-reasonable.  They carry Marvel/DC stuff, but they also carry manga as well as video game/movie/tv show/nostalgic memorabilia.   I usually troll the North Shore when I'm there - that's where all my Friends-n-Family are.  I know of lots of good pubs...but that will have to wait about 12 more years...

Cambridge is always a great place to spend a day...specially Harvard Square.

Deff take the Fenway tour - my daughter and I have taken it several times. 

Comics? Who likes that?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

I would like to thank everyone who responded I got some great ideas on how to make this the best experience I can ...... THANK YOU !!!

Try Howard Johnsons 1 block from Fenway

Prices: $106 per night

Address: 1271 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02215

Phone:(617) 267-8300

Transit: Yawkey

Hotel class: 2 stars

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Update.........tickets have been purchased !!!!!!!

We will be going to the June 25 26 27 games ......Tuesday and Wednesday against the Rockies and Thurs against the blue jays ........

Tuesday we got loge box 102 row BB.......... Wednesday right field box 8 row A ....Thursday Green Monster M7 row 1!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited I cant wait for his birthday to tell him its killing me to not be able to talk about it !!!!

On a side note anybody know anything about the howardjohnson right across the street from fenway? ........Rooms available just wondering if its clean ....safe?

Hey again Insider.  You got some great seats!  I have stayed at the Howard Johnson's that is right across the street.  It isn't great.  The best thing it has going for it is you are next to the ballpark, but other than that, it is outdated and nothing special.  As i mentioned before, the Back Bay Hilton and the Sheraton Boston are both much nicer, and they are a great 15 min. walk to Fenway through a cool neighborhood.  They both are more of the highrise type, and the views on the upper floors are simply awesome.  Sice you are coming all the way from the west coast, I'm sure around $250 per night won't be that big of a deal.  They are both also close to Copley Square, Prudential Center shops, Newbury Street and all the other stuff in the Back Bay.  Check them out.  You won't be dissapointed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

So after hours of delays at the airports we finally made it yesterday to Boston !!!! Walking into fenway for the first time was EVERYTHING I expected and more !!! What a game !! My son and I are in heaven !!! Sox in first and 3 games at fenway!!!! The seats last night were great and they are only getting better !!! Love the city love our hotel and we love our sox !!!! I can't believe we are here !!!
    Wear your hat with pride or take it off!!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Anybody going to the game tonight ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

So after hours of delays at the airports we finally made it yesterday to Boston !!!! Walking into fenway for the first time was EVERYTHING I expected and more !!! What a game !! My son and I are in heaven !!! Sox in first and 3 games at fenway!!!! The seats last night were great and they are only getting better !!! Love the city love our hotel and we love our sox !!!! I can't believe we are here !!!

Welcome to Boston RSI!!! Enjoy your stay and soak up all that this city has to offer!!!

Hope you and your son have a great time here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Anybody going to the game tonight ?

I'm going to Friday's Sox/Jays game.

Enjoy your games at Fenway!

You're 1-0, so far!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

This is one of the coolest threads ever! Just saw it for the first time. Enjoy your time a with your son! I'm about 6 hours north of boston in Maine and one of my sons turns 6 on Monday and my wife mentioned sox tickets---- you've set the bar pretty high though:) again, enjoy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Another great game !!!!! 2-0 if this keeps up the sox may want to keep us around !!!! MONSTER tickets tomorrow row 1 section 7 !!!! I'm praying for no rain !!!! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

This is one of the coolest threads ever! Just saw it for the first time. Enjoy your time a with your son! I'm about 6 hours north of boston in Maine and one of my sons turns 6 on Monday and my wife mentioned sox tickets---- you've set the bar pretty high though:) again, enjoy!

Memories are priceless !!!! My son and I will have this forever !!! Go all out its worth every penny !!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

[QUOTE]

I found I first row monster seats for 444 a piece .... 888 $ for the pair ...spendy but I can't go from Cali to Boston and not sit there for 1 game can I ? It looks like the whole trip is going to  be planned around getting first row monster tickets!!

$444 for a front row monster seat; that explains why the SOX can afford to pay a player like DREW 9.5 million smackers. Unbelievable.

[/QUOTE]

The redsox won't see that 888 bought it from stub hub !!! But nice dig at drew who played very well today !!!!! 

How much do you make and are YOU worth it ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Another great game !!!!! 2-0 if this keeps up the sox may want to keep us around !!!! MONSTER tickets tomorrow row 1 section 7 !!!! I'm praying for no rain !!!! 

You sure picked great gm's to go to, I hope you guys are really enjoying the city.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I've been to Boston a few times, so no expert, but I enjoyed a long walk along the revolutionary road, reading all the signs describing the actions that took place in the War for Indepedence.