Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Heal strain and Big Papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

Heal strain and Big Papi

I just read a post where Ortiz's heel injury and healing was compared to an 80 y/o and by her pass surgery. You can't compare one persons healing process to anothers.

How is it that any of us know Ortiz's pain and healing process. The only one that knows this is Ortiz himself and his doctors, that can make a prognosis... but will never know the exact pain. Perhaps Ortiz chose no surgery because it would put him back even further....all the power to him if he thinks he can over come it without surgery.

If you have back pain, and I have back pain..... is it all the same? NO it isn't. No injury is the same and to lump Big Papi's in with any others is ridiculous.

It's nice to know there are so many doctors here in the forum... I now know where to come for my medical advice. (insert eye roll)

Ryan Howard had this to offer in an Herald article on Ortiz's injury:

Ryan Howard ruptured his Achilles tendon on the final at-bat of the 2011 NL Division Series, requiring surgery and causing the Philadelphia Phillies first baseman to miss the first half of last season.

But in some ways, he feels more fortunate than David Ortiz.

In the eight months since Ortiz suffered a mild tear of his right Achilles, he has encountered multiple setbacks, including inflammation in both heels that will prevent him from starting the season on time. Along the way, the Red Sox slugger has contacted several athletes who have dealt with similar injuries, including retired NBA star Shaquille O’Neal and Howard.

“I told him, ‘Take your time,’ ” Howard said yesterday before the Phillies faced the Red Sox. “I know it sucks, but it’s one of those injuries where it’s tricky. It takes a little bit longer than you would like. The first thing I said is, ‘Stay positive.’ ”

Howard noted one important distinction between his rehabilitation and the protracted process being faced by Ortiz. Because Howard underwent surgery, his Achilles was repaired. As Ortiz attempts to come back, he’s also trying not to avoid making his injury worse.

“I don’t know what might be tougher,” Howard said. “Mine hit that end point and, boom. But it was fixed, and now it’s rehabbed and it’s better. His is more of a continuous process. It’s like that continuous nagging to where you don’t know if it’s going to get worse. You’ve got to take your time.”

For Howard, progress was slow and incremental. At first, he wore a walking boot, later advancing to a modified shoe. For a while, he kept pads in his shoes to ease the pounding when he tried to run. Then, finally, he was able to go back to normal.

Even then, Howard had to train his mind to realize he wouldn’t reinjure himself. Like Ortiz, he is a big man, and when he runs, the 240-pound slugger puts extra strain on his legs.

“It may feel good to you to think you can play on it, but one move or if you feel a little bit of something in there, it’s going to hit you mentally,” Howard said. “That’s going to be the last thing to come where you feel 100 percent secure that there’s nothing wrong with it. That’s the mindset he’s got to have.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/03/ryan_howard_in_touch_with_david_ortiz_pain

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

Re: Heal strain and Big Papi

* for the spelling cops.... I incorrectly typed heel..... I know this is what most small minded readers will take from this post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

All of the doctors must be on lunch break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

and O'Neil was another bad signing. 

Bottom line, Ortiz sat out 71 games last season and bloggers like me, knew he would sit out more this season with the same problem.  Sorry that I called it oldie, I know it must burn you real bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

and O'Neil was another bad signing. 

Bottom line, Ortiz sat out 71 games last season and bloggers like me, knew he would sit out more this season with the same problem.  Sorry that I called it oldie, I know it must burn you real bad.

wait for it......wait for it.......

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

When David Ortiz was an infant his mother grabbed him by the heels and immersed him into a river in the Dominican Republic in an effort to render David to be impervious to failure and make him immortal. David was well on his way to being the best clutch hitter and DH in Red Sox history until an enemy wearing pinstripes shot him in the achillies with an arrow. What a shame.

Huh?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

When David Ortiz was an infant his mother grabbed him by the heels and immersed him into a river in the Dominican Republic in an effort to render David to be impervious to failure and make him immortal. David was well on his way to being the best clutch hitter and DH in Red Sox history until an enemy wearing pinstripes shot him in the achillies with an arrow. What a shame.

Huh?

He's referring the the Greek hero, Achilles.

Get it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Huh?

Get it?

Yep....I got it....but if it will help:

Ha..........Ha............Ha..............Ha............ha

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Huh?

Get it?

LOL

It was pretty bad...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

Huh?

Get it?

Better yet......

GONG!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Huh?

Get it?

Better yet......

GONG!

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

Update:

Progress for David Ortiz has been painfully slow, so far this year, and after a big step back a couple weeks back, any step forward is going to look minor in comparison. So keep that in mind when reading the following Pete Abraham tweet:

David Ortiz will hit on the field today and do some agility work. "Solid progress" Farrell says.

It's not exactly fantastic news, but it means that Ortiz is moving in the right direction, at the very least. He's not going to be ready for opening day--that ship has long since sailed--but so long as he keeps taking these steps forward, then he'll be back in the lineup before too long.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

How many Ortiz threads is this for you oldie/ms?

Shaq is a bad example and anyone who listens to his advice is lazy.  Shaq once said, he got hurt on company time and will heal on company time.  Do you remember how long it took him to recover his last season with the celtics? that's right, he never recovered.  Ainge believed that Shaq would be back for the playoffs and traded Perkins.

I got that one right too and blogged that O'Neil would never be back for the playoffs.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I would like it if the sox don't make this mistake again.  As far as being right and wrong, if my 71 game thread blew up in my face, ms would be reminding me every day.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It surprises me that the term 'plantar fasciitis' hasn't come up.

Maybe it's not what he has, but if it is, it takes months and months to heal up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ms_obstinate. Show ms_obstinate's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

How many Ortiz threads is this for you oldie/ms?

Shaq is a bad example and anyone who listens to his advice is lazy.  Shaq once said, he got hurt on company time and will heal on company time.  Do you remember how long it took him to recover his last season with the celtics? that's right, he never recovered.  Ainge believed that Shaq would be back for the playoffs and traded Perkins.

I got that one right too and blogged that O'Neil would never be back for the playoffs.

Nobody is concerned about you being right or wrong. What the problem is here is that there is a crack in the spinning LP vinyl record and it keeps skipping and thus repeating the same notes over and over again. It is very annoying.

All Sox fans are concerned about Papi's injury and hope that he returns as soon as possible. Now, what is the issue here? Fill me in.

I told the forum already.... Ortiz wouldn't sign his balls! He has been mad about Ortiz ever since.

Sections
Shortcuts