Hello Prince, adios Papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

Hello Prince, adios Papi

Why not?  He can DH and more than the Big Yesterday" actually play first.  You get him for a stretch of years in his "prime" (praying he can keep the weight under control) and you don't have to do the PR disaster that Ortiz will turn into.  They will either blow the 16 mill on him this season (he'll win arbitration) or go 25/26 over two because we have to keep Papi happy.  Go with functional "youth", you will have to eventually.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Hello Prince, adios Papi

In Response to Hello Prince, adios Papi:
    Why not?  He can DH and more than the Big Yesterday" actually play first.  You get him for a stretch of years in his "prime" (praying he can keep the weight under control) and you don't have to do the PR disaster that Ortiz will turn into.  They will either blow the 16 mill on him this season (he'll win arbitration) or go 25/26 over two because we have to keep Papi happy.  Go with functional "youth", you will have to eventually.
    Posted by ccfss

Hello there !!! Does he want to DH? Think before you post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

and what will happen to big papi this year if you sign prince?  you wont be able to trade him..not with that salary he is going to get for arbitration.  plus he is a 10-5 player so he probably won't accept a trade anywhere either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That he can play 1st is meaningless, and even if it wasn't, it's still wrong.

It's meaningless because we have the best 1B in BB already.

It's wrong, because Fielder can't play 1st.  He might be better than Dunn and Howard, but that's about it.

And even if he could play 1st, Papi has a better OPS over the past two years.  Why pay more money for a weaker player?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

In Response to Re: Hello Prince, adios Papi:
    That he can play 1st is meaningless, and even if it wasn't, it's still wrong. It's meaningless because we have the best 1B in BB already. It's wrong, because Fielder can't play 1st.  He might be better than Dunn and Howard, but that's about it. And even if he could play 1st, Papi has a better OPS over the past two years.  Why pay more money for a weaker player?
    Posted by Joebreidey

He'd be playing first only as a back up in case of injury or if you'd want to give Gonzalez a rest.  Ortiz is old is the other issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Hello Prince, adios Papi : He'd be playing first only as a back up in case of injury or if you'd want to give Gonzalez a rest.  Ortiz is old is the other issue.
    Posted by ccfss

Age is more of an issue with Fielder.  Papi is healthy, and likely to be healthy for the next 9 months.  Fielder is healthy, but less likely to be so over the next 6-7 years.  There's no reason to expect much of a difference between the two next year.  It makes no sense to me to pay $10M more for Fielder for marginally more production, even if he'd sign a one-year deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

In Response to Re: Hello Prince, adios Papi : Age is more of an issue with Fielder.  Papi is healthy, and likely to be healthy for the next 9 months.  Fielder is healthy, but less likely to be so over the next 6-7 years.  There's no reason to expect much of a difference between the two next year.  It makes no sense to me to pay $10M more for Fielder for marginally more production, even if he'd sign a one-year deal.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Understood, and it was only a what the hell type of thing.  The length of a deal  (and no high end free agent is going for only one year) would bother me unless it was front loaded and that is not happening either.  They cannot yet be done with dealing as they are now in a position where they will be using a projected oufielder (Aviles) at short.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

and what will happen to big papi this year if you sign prince?  you wont be able to trade him..not with that salary he is going to get for arbitration.  plus he is a 10-5 player so he probably won't accept a trade anywhere either.
    Posted by eddiewilson

Trading Papi is easy.

Trading Papi and getting somethng for him? Trickier.  But trading him would be extremely easy.

If the Sox want to unload Papi, just call Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski and say "Bummer about Martinez.  But I have the perfect solution for your DH problem, and all I want in return is Brandon Inge."   The biggest problem Cherington would have is stopping Dombrowski from repeatedly kissing him.

Well, that and the other problem - Brandon Inge.  While Inge would help shore up the left side infield defense and let Youkilis move to DH, and these are good things.  Still, its hard to justify calling a team better when you replace one of the all time greats for walk off hits in Ortiz with someone like Inge, who is likely to produce fewer hits than "The Baja Men."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I would disagree that trading Ortiz is easy unless the RS eat most  of his contract, even to the tigers.  Arbitration is going to make his contract untradeable.  That and the 10-5 as I see it will kill any deal.  But hey you never know.....stranger things have happened.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortuee. Show Ortuee's posts

yes, with Scutaro gone we can move Gonzalez to ss and sign Fielder and install him at first base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I believe Fielder has played in all 162 games the last three years... let me check (pause for Google search and skimming www.baseball-reference.com)...

tick-tock...... ok!

Nearly correct, Fielder has only missed one single season game in the last three years; in fact he has missed only thirteen regular season games in six seasons. 

Anyone here want to bet that The Prince wants to sit on the pine 98% of every game?  Not I. I would be dumbfounded if he wanted to be a full-time or even a part-time DH.

* I cannot listen to talk of dumping AGon either. He is a tremendous asset to this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Forget Fielder. Why would anyone want to add a 1B when we have a great one, or an overpaid contract, or a player who will probably have a similarly frustrating later years of his career? What's the desire? Lateral movement and inflated budgets?

All I care about is Adios Henry and Co.! Go count your beans elsewhere you money-grubbing wh0res.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Forget Fielder. Why would anyone want to add a 1B when we have a great one, or an overpaid contract, or a player who will probably have a similarly frustrating later years of his career? What's the desire? Lateral movement and inflated budgets? All I care about is Adios Henry and Co.! Go count your beans elsewhere you money-grubbing wh0res.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Seriously, man, that's not right.  Sure they charge high ticket prices and all that, but I'm pretty sure no team in baseball is putting a higher % of their revenues back into payroll.  Do you really think another owner is going to come along and be more generous?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

I have to say I was surprised how good he is defensively. A guy with this body would not expect him to be that good but he is. Three things need to happen in order for Prince to be on Sox radar. 1) He should open to play 3rd base and I think he can play 3rd base well. 2) Agree to $10-15MM contract per year, lower end is better. 3) Sox need to find takers for Youk. If these are acheivable then it would be a great move that would benefit both the parties; he will be on a team thats contending year after year, Sox will have the most feared 3rd baseman for the next 2-3 years and then a great DH afterwards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have to say I was surprised how good he is defensively. A guy with this body would not expect him to be that good but he is. Three things need to happen in order for Prince to be on Sox radar. 1) He should open to play 3rd base and I think he can play 3rd base well. 2) Agree to $10-15MM contract per year, lower end is better. 3) Sox need to find takers for Youk. If these are acheivable then it would be a great move that would benefit both the parties; he will be on a team thats contending year after year, Sox will have the most feared 3rd baseman for the next 2-3 years and then a great DH afterwards.
    Posted by lhtak

Did a lot of partying last night I see Tongue out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Joe Breidey on Papi vs. Prince Fielder: "Why pay more money for a weaker player?"
    Oh, my.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

I think everyone should discourage these bull sh*t posts by not posting on them. When everyone adds their commentary, they just fuel these people!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Well, yeah, Ben is ready to open the bank for Prince so that the team can go 60 million over the Luxury Tax. Yup, makes sense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Hello Prince, adios Papi : Seriously, man, that's not right.  Sure they charge high ticket prices and all that, but I'm pretty sure no team in baseball is putting a higher % of their revenues back into payroll.  Do you really think another owner is going to come along and be more generous?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Well, the Rangers are reportedly going to be operating at a deficit until their new T deal kicks in in 2015.  Not sure if that's a cash flow deficit or an accounting deficit from the Darvish posting fee, but I see your point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I would disagree that trading Ortiz is easy unless the RS eat most  of his contract, even to the tigers.  Arbitration is going to make his contract untradeable.  That and the 10-5 as I see it will kill any deal.  But hey you never know.....stranger things have happened.
    Posted by never1954

If they pay VMart $12.5M to DH, why would they have an issue paying Papi $13M or so to DH?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My gripe is why does anyone care now about nickel-diming Ortiz when Lackey, CC and Beckett got keys to the executive washroom. Again, it's amazing how money is blindly thrown aside, only to find the ownership now use the frugal approach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

My gripe is why does anyone care now about nickel-diming Ortiz when Lackey, CC and Beckett got keys to the executive washroom. Again, it's amazing how money is blindly thrown aside, only to find the ownership now use the frugal approach.
    Posted by dannycater

Lackey's deal looks terrible, in hindsight, but at the time it was made, it looked like a pretty good deal, albeit one year too long.  I don't understand why/how Beckett even gets thrown into these discussions about overpriced contracts.

Crawford's contract is a different story, but I can't say that I was upset when I heard he was coming to the Red Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts