Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

I'm not saying everyone is unlikeable, not even close. But who, as people/athletes, do you really root for as a person, and not just because he's a member of the Sox?

I'll offer the ONE I do root for:

Lester - Home grown. Talented. Humble and accountable (the only person that I'm aware of who reached out to tito and apologized)

Beckett? Texas tough guy? Totally unaccountable. Kind of a prima donna (THREE docs visits for a thumb that's fine? really? THREE!). Definitely a blowhard, though that IS sometimes a positive for a SP, given everything else, I'm not a big fan

Youkillis? Sure, plays hard, but ALWAYS looks mad about something and does not conduct himself, on the field, ina very 'professional' manner with all his complaining and swearing.

Ortiz? I don't find it likeable when he complains about EVERY F R E A K I N G CALLED STRIKE AGAINST HIM! Breaking in on interviews because of one lousy RBI (way to be a TEAM player).

Ellsbury? Fairly quiet...ly counting the days to his payday. Exciting to watch, sure, but he looks like a mercenary to me...only here because he's paid to be, nothing that he seems attached to about Boston or the Sox.

Pedroia? You could definitely make a case for him, but his classic Napoleonic complex wears on me. He ALWAYS has some snide remark, wise a s s thing to say. Once in a while, S H U T U P! Seriously, everyone knows he's a good player, scholarship to a TOP baseball school, ROY, MVP, all star selections...let the chip go, people acknowledge you.

Who else is there? A SS either in the minors or a guy who likely won't be here next year?

OH, I FORGOT ONE! Saltalamacchia. I really like his kid. He plays hard, puts in the work he needs to and plays the right way. Also, I like him more because so many people want to run a 26 YEAR OLD out of town for not being good enough, fast enough. I like Salty.

Do people even have an opinion about Melancon or Bailey? Bard, perhaps. Aceves? Not sure why anyone would, he's a middle relief guy, though he did very well for them last year.

My point is...this team really has no, or very few people to 'root' for. The "Nation" will forever root for the Sox, but who, individually?

Manny, however it turned out, was must see TV for most of his time here. happy, jovial, engaging.

Ortiz USED to be the same. Then he started to play bad, and got p i s s e d that anyone dare question"Big Papi". He hasn't really been the same teddy bearish guy since Pedro, and then Manny left.

People rooted for Pedro, Damon, even someone like Millar and Nixon have garnered passionate followings in Boston.

Varitek was a highly respected and liked player/captain.

Many, many people rooted for Tito! (though just as many rooted against haha)

Wakefield had a loyal following for a long time, waning only at the bitter, overused end.

Nomar was treated like a GOD.

Now...who?

THe last i can remember was the bullpen band...that was a group of fun loving, performing, dedicated group who was fun to watch, and easy to root for. Rememeber the Papelbon/Del Carmen "Blame it on the Rain" video? Awesome stuff. Who would do that now? I can't think of anyone. Depressing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

First of all, how can you not like Big Papi? Not only is he the greatest postseason hitting God the Red Sox have ever had, But he always has something funny to say. And how about Pedey? How can you not love a guy who's 5'6" and hits 20+ jacks a year? And that's not even to mention the best first baseman in the AL, even with Albert and Prince over here now. I can find a lot of people to cheer for on this team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If you don't love Pedey, you don't love the Red Sox and you don't love baseball.

Kind of hard not to like a 20 something who is a cancer survivor.

Kind of hard not to like the guy who put the Red Sox on his back and carried them back from 0-3.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

Feel fre to root for the Yankees. They have plenty of great guys there ..... Not

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ah, Gonzalez. Totally flaked on him. I like him as a player, but rooting for him as a person? And his "it's all in God's plan and out of my hands" mentality? Ehhhh.

I touched on Lester, one of two I do actually root for.

I commented on Pedey, if you don't want to bother to read the post, don't bother writing an uninformed response. Ditto for Papi, I commented on many threads the past 2 years stating exactly as I did above many, many times.

How about giving me reasons TO like them other than "if you don't like player x, then you don't like baseball". Really? Because you said so? so your opinion is better than mine obviously. Very interesting take.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I like Pedey, Ross, Youk, Lester,  Ells, amd Crazy Aceves to close games.  And you got to love the big lefties who can crush the ball  Papi and Gonzo.   Come on whats not to like, I no we have our share of primadonas like Beckett but they r not the whole team just a minor distraction.  Bobby V will see to that....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

My best example is Wade Boggs. He was a fantastic player. But also an alcoholic, sex addict, and incredibly selfish. As a player, sure, plenty of people rooted for him. As a person? That's the distinction I'm making. There are plenty of good, talented players on this team. But how many of them are truly likeable people? For me, it's hard to root for a team when I don't really like the p;layers as people. Hence, I don't like the NBA as a whole.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves
    Pedey
    Ross
    Morales
    Lester
    Aviles
    Lava
    Iggy
    Buch

(Not in any particular order)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lots of likable players IMO.  I'm in the minority I guess because I like Beckett.  Mainly because of his clutch performances in 2003 and 2007 and when he's on his game, he's one of the best pitchers in baseball.  And I really like Buchholz.  I would love to see him have a good season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Who isnt??Undecided 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?:
    [QUOTE]Who isnt??  
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]Hey J-Bay, you ready for some baseball?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]If you don't love Pedey, you don't love the Red Sox and you don't love baseball. Kind of hard not to like a 20 something who is a cancer survivor. Kind of hard not to like the guy who put the Red Sox on his back and carried them back from 0-3.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

The OP must not like anyone in his life if he's going to nitpick every little flaw another person might have. He's ripping Ortiz because of complaining about called strikes (a very common occurance in baseball) and for that interview thing last year. Geez -- heaven forbid that ballplayers aren't perfect and just might have a few flaws.

What about Aviles, Shoppach, Ross, Sweeney, Aceves, Bard, etc.?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Hey J-Bay, you ready for some baseball?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I am, Carnie, more than ready. First game thread of the season. The sick feeling I've had since September will finally start to go away. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I have to say that I like most of these guys!!!

3 standouts that I don't like.  Lackey!!!!!!   Dice K!!!!!!!!!!   Beckett!!!

If you don't like the rest of the guys????  Gotta question why you're a Sox fan???

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not saying everyone is unlikeable, not even close. But who, as people/athletes, do you really root for as a person, and not just because he's a member of the Sox? I'll offer the ONE I do root for: Lester - Home grown. Talented. Humble and accountable (the only person that I'm aware of who reached out to tito and apologized) Beckett? Texas tough guy? Totally unaccountable. Kind of a prima donna (THREE docs visits for a thumb that's fine? really? THREE!). Definitely a blowhard, though that IS sometimes a positive for a SP, given everything else, I'm not a big fan Youkillis? Sure, plays hard, but ALWAYS looks mad about something and does not conduct himself, on the field, ina very 'professional' manner with all his complaining and swearing. Ortiz? I don't find it likeable when he complains about EVERY F R E A K I N G CALLED STRIKE AGAINST HIM! Breaking in on interviews because of one lousy RBI (way to be a TEAM player). Ellsbury? Fairly quiet...ly counting the days to his payday. Exciting to watch, sure, but he looks like a mercenary to me...only here because he's paid to be, nothing that he seems attached to about Boston or the Sox. Pedroia? You could definitely make a case for him, but his classic Napoleonic complex wears on me. He ALWAYS has some snide remark, wise a s s thing to say. Once in a while, S H U T U P! Seriously, everyone knows he's a good player, scholarship to a TOP baseball school, ROY, MVP, all star selections...let the chip go, people acknowledge you. Who else is there? A SS either in the minors or a guy who likely won't be here next year? OH, I FORGOT ONE! Saltalamacchia. I really like his kid. He plays hard, puts in the work he needs to and plays the right way. Also, I like him more because so many people want to run a 26 YEAR OLD out of town for not being good enough, fast enough. I like Salty. Do people even have an opinion about Melancon or Bailey? Bard, perhaps. Aceves? Not sure why anyone would, he's a middle relief guy, though he did very well for them last year. My point is...this team really has no, or very few people to 'root' for. The "Nation" will forever root for the Sox, but who, individually? Manny, however it turned out, was must see TV for most of his time here. happy, jovial, engaging. Ortiz USED to be the same. Then he started to play bad, and got p i s s e d that anyone dare question"Big Papi". He hasn't really been the same teddy bearish guy since Pedro, and then Manny left. People rooted for Pedro, Damon, even someone like Millar and Nixon have garnered passionate followings in Boston. Varitek was a highly respected and liked player/captain. Many, many people rooted for Tito! (though just as many rooted against haha) Wakefield had a loyal following for a long time, waning only at the bitter, overused end. Nomar was treated like a GOD. Now...who? THe last i can remember was the bullpen band...that was a group of fun loving, performing, dedicated group who was fun to watch, and easy to root for. Rememeber the Papelbon/Del Carmen "Blame it on the Rain" video? Awesome stuff. Who would do that now? I can't think of anyone. Depressing.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    come on and join me to hockey and the Bruins,where it's almost impossible to find an unlikeable player !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I like the whole team...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

More easy to ask who we don't like becuase I like or love most of the guys on the team.

Negative:

Ortiz
    Beckett
    Lackey

I can understand that some of the others are boring but that does not cause me to think poorly of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]More easy to ask who we don't like becuase I like or love most of the guys on the team. Negative: Ortiz Beckett Lackey I can understand that some of the others are boring but that does not cause me to think poorly of them.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]Big Papi will always get a free drink from me in any bar I ever meet him in just because of what he did in 2004.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Some of my favorites over the years .... many of them Tier II types....

Jeff Frye
    Darren Bragg
    Dave Roberts
    Trot Nixon
    Brett Saberhagen
    Mo Vaughn
    Pedro Martinez
    Curt Schilling
    Ellis Burks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'd add Dewey Evans
    Jim Rice
    Rick Burleson
    Sonny Siebert
    Jim Lonborg
    And Tony C.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Of course, I did not go very far back.....  so many good and great players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Beckett a prima donna? He takes the ball every fifth day save when injured. He works hard on the mound. He gives his best. He makes no excuses when he doesn't pitch well? If someone wants to criticize him for not staying in shape
    ( he had a response to that ) or for misbehaving in the clubhouse, fire away. But a prima donna, far from it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Like (& root for) Pedroia, Papi, Buch, Lester, Ross, Ells (though you're right, he may just be a money guy like paps, he's sort of hard to read but love to watch him play), Crawford, Aceves, Cook, Lava (have nothing against Salty as a person but don't think a lot of him as a player and want Lava to catch), Aviles, Gonzo, Dice, Bard--don't care for Beckett though hope he pitches well (and at least he defended BV against Schill).

Sections
Shortcuts