Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?:
    [QUOTE]If you try hard enough , you can find a reason not to like any player . Or anyone in general , for that matter.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Sure, that cuts both ways.

Do you to like Backett because he's the best money pitcher in BB, or dislike him because he has an ego?

Like CC because he works hard or dislike him because he hasn't delivered?

Like Youk for his good eye or dislike him that he'll argue balls and strikes?

Like Gonzo for being a great player or dislike him because he is religious?

I'm not sure I can think of a reason to dislike any of the others.  This is just an excuse for people to whine.

Really, if it is that insufferable to watch the RS, save yourself time and heartache and devote your time to something else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : I think the bartender knew I was a Yankee fan and sent some tainted wings our way.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Were you guys there yesterday?  I was walking around and even made myself a name tag.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Were you guys there yesterday?  I was walking around and even made myself a name tag.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

dammit.  you serious?  was really hoping to meet you.  Yeah, we were there.  Guess we should have done a better job at meet-up logistics.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

You have to work very hard not to like Papi, Ellsbury, Youk, Pedroia, etc. I can't think of anyone on the current team I truly dislike (Lackey, if he counts, might be the closest thing)...I don't want or expect a team of perfect human beings devoid of personality flaws.

While it's not exactly the 03-04 crew, I think this should be a fun group of guys to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Were you guys there yesterday?  I was walking around and even made myself a name tag.

We were there - did not notice a name tag. We were at the far end of the bar at the small barstool table. I was the only one in the bar wearing a black leather Motorcycle jacket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

[QUOTE]So much hate.... so easy to get angry. Must be tough on the kids knowing their "role model" is a mouthy old coot who just as soon punch the ump or ref rather than simply debate. You will make the news someday and it won't be a good thing.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

Hey Taco, Why do you avoid my questions?  I asked you twice. I understand you dont have a good answer so please just shutup and dont respond unless you get some sack and tell me why you post 23 times a day and have your nic for only a few days. Thanks Frijole.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]Sorry JB, was also looking forward to meeting you, should have been more observant..you had to have walked past us several times...Jess and Space, pleasure was mine, you boys rock...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Sorry JB, was also looking forward to meeting you, should have been more observant..you had to have walked past us several times...Jess and Space, pleasure was mine, you boys rock...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Likewise my friend.  Maybe we can get it right with Joe B. for Sox-Yanks series.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : dammit.  you serious?  was really hoping to meet you.  Yeah, we were there.  Guess we should have done a better job at meet-up logistics.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I got there about ten minutes late and was shocked to see they were in the 2nd.  You don't often have 14-pitch innings.

But as soon as I got there, I knew we had a logistics issue.  Excuse me barkeep, I'm looking for people that I've never seen before.  And I had the good sense to look for the folks not wearing RS shirts for Jesse or anyone else.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Likewise my friend.  Maybe we can get it right with Joe B. for Sox-Yanks series.

Good idea.  No reason not to meet for a RS/EE game.  Preferrably one at Fenway since I go to 4-5 of the RS games at the stadium.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Good idea.  No reason not to meet for a RS/EE game.  Preferrably one at Fenway since I go to 4-5 of the RS games at the stadium.

What you really ought to do is lock-up a seat for a space-brotha at the next game at the House that NYC Taxes Built.  I have cash, and I promise not to get kicked out again. Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : What you really ought to do is lock-up a seat for a space-brotha at the next game at the House that NYC Taxes Built.  I have cash, and I promise not to get kicked out again. 

PLEASE elaborate!

Also, thanks for taking over the thread, it went of the rails.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : Hey Taco, Why do you avoid my questions?  I asked you twice. I understand you dont have a good answer so please just shutup and dont respond unless you get some sack and tell me why you post 23 times a day and have your nic for only a few days. Thanks Frijole.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

"get some sack"?  lol. Yes I am scared to battle you over the Internet. You are so very threatening, my real concern is that you would take the anger out on your little worshippers (the kids).

23 times a day, 5 times a day... doesn't matter. I am good for about 3,000 posts in a year.  8.21 a day. This puts me in the top 20% of the Red Sox forums, for better or worse.

This is post #1 on the day so lets see how close I can get to 23.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

and to think I got hammered for starting this, on opening day no less.

Anyone care to amend their thoughts?

I still don't see many players who I truly LIKE on this team. Plenty of good players (though not playing like it), but what personalities? What PEOPLE?

I still stand by Lester. Pedroia is ok. The rest I don't like, are too young or too new to have a terribly big opinion of.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]and to think I got hammered for starting this, on opening day no less. Anyone care to amend their thoughts? I still don't see many players who I truly LIKE on this team. Plenty of good players (though not playing like it), but what personalities? What PEOPLE? I still stand by Lester. Pedroia is ok. The rest I don't like, are too young or too new to have a terribly big opinion of.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

OK, I'm your Huckleberry:

Pedroia - No need to elaborate
    Lester - Humble guy, fine pitcher, great story
    Aviles - OK, might not be a pur SS, but that is neither here nor there in terms of likeability.  This guy is a hard-nosed player, humble, has worked hard to get a starting job, hustles, does whatever is asked, whats not to like
    Youk- Sure I know many hate him.  But to me he is the heart of the latter day Sox, a dirty gritty ugly old-school guy.  I stick by him even as he struggles
    Ortiz - Sure, a bit of a prima donna, but Papi was the savior, the man that lifted the long suffering franchise and fans on his his shoulders, banished the ghost and brought us to the promised land.  To boot, he is a sweet, fun, guy and in the pantheon of all-time Sox greats.  I forgive him his petulant whines as easy as i am a sucker for his Papi smile.
    Ross - Loved him for years.  Serious gamer.  Fun loving, hard-nosed, pure baseball, reveals full stocking under pant at knee, wrestles steer, my kinda guy
    Aceves - I don't think I need to elaborate on Alfredo.  
    Ellsbury - What can I say (Softy), pure stardust, love the kids game, reverse pivot and all
    Crawford - Horrible year last year, but if I loved (and hated) his electric game with TB, I see no reason to about face now, just because he struggled after getting a huge contract.  The guy is humble and works his butt off.
    Bard- Might not turn out to be a great starter, but I like his attitude and his commitment.  
    McDonald - Career minor leaguer finds his place in Boston with hustle and heart.  And yet, after all the whining about big money divas, people still b**h about this guy.  go figure.  Saw him in ST.  Every game he was talking to fans, kids, signing autos, laughing.  Love this guy.
    Gonzalez - What can I say.  i don't care about the Gods Will stuff.  I don;t care that he is quiet and unassuming.  I don't care that he sleeps on bags of Benjamins.  His low-key relaxed approach at plate and in the field, and his classis sweet swing make me love him.  because I love baseball.
    Atchison - Fake birth certificate.  Dude has to be in his early 50s.  But, I love his quiet grizzled journeyman toughness.
    Beckett - hehe.  What can i say.  His flaws are his strengths.  Always loved the guy since the orginal shush moment at Yankee stadium.  Brash, cocky, arrogant.  I know it is en vogue in the Nation to hate him.  I love me some Josh Beckett.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team? : OK, I'm your Huckleberry: Pedroia - No need to elaborate Lester - Humble guy, fine pitcher, great story Aviles - OK, might not be a pur SS, but that is neither here nor there in terms of likeability.  This guy is a hard-nosed player, humble, has worked hard to get a starting job, hustles, does whatever is asked, whats not to like Youk - Sure I know many hate him.  But to me he is the heart of the latter day Sox, a dirty gritty ugly old-school guy.  I stick by him even as he struggles Ortiz - Sure, a bit of a prima donna, but Papi was the savior, the man that lifted the long suffering franchise and fans on his his shoulders, banished the ghost and brought us to the promised land.  To boot, he is a sweet, fun, guy and in the pantheon of all-time Sox greats.  I forgive him his petulant whines as easy as i am a sucker for his Papi smile. Ross - Loved him for years.  Serious gamer.  Fun loving, hard-nosed, pure baseball, reveals full stocking under pant at knee, wrestles steer, my kinda guy Aceves - I don't think I need to elaborate on Alfredo.   Ellsbury - What can I say (Softy), pure stardust, love the kids game, reverse pivot and all Crawford - Horrible year last year, but if I loved (and hated) his electric game with TB, I see no reason to about face now, just because he struggled after getting a huge contract.  The guy is humble and works his butt off. Bard - Might not turn out to be a great starter, but I like his attitude and his commitment.   McDonald - Career minor leaguer finds his place in Boston with hustle and heart.  And yet, after all the whining about big money divas, people still b**h about this guy.  go figure.  Saw him in ST.  Every game he was talking to fans, kids, signing autos, laughing.  Love this guy. Gonzalez - What can I say.  i don't care about the Gods Will stuff.  I don;t care that he is quiet and unassuming.  I don't care that he sleeps on bags of Benjamins.  His low-key relaxed approach at plate and in the field, and his classis sweet swing make me love him.  because I love baseball. Atchison - Fake birth certificate.  Dude has to be in his early 50s.  But, I love his quiet grizzled journeyman toughness. Beckett - hehe.  What can i say.  His flaws are his strengths.  Always loved the guy since the orginal shush moment at Yankee stadium.  Brash, cocky, arrogant.  I know it is en vogue in the Nation to hate him.  I love me some Josh Beckett.
    Very well stated. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Despite the "Doom and Gloom" predictability of Ma6dragon9, this thread had many excellent posts by:
    S-5
    Spaceman
    Expitch
    JoeBreidy
    Coachzap
    Flapjack
    Yaso
    Roy
    CTSoxFan

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ellsbury
    Pedey
    Ortiz
    Youk
    Aviles
    Doubrant
    Bard
    Buck
    Aceves
    Morales

Less than half.

The 2003 team only Giambi was a bum

2004 - everyone

2007 - everyone but David Jonathan

Today, less than half the team

Plus Crawford, Beckett, and Jenks are all despicable

Sad Sad Sad

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

What on EARTH is despicable about Carl Crawford?  Is there a wife-beating arrest I don't know of?

I get the drift of the OP, and some of the (knee-jerk) responses, and choose to look at it this way: where's the charisma?

When players don't have a ton of exposure, sometimes you don't know how "likable" (or charismatic) they may be.  Who'd have guessed Kevin Millar was so much fun when he was a journeyman OF?

That said, I do find the current squad a tad dour compared to the days of the "Idiots," and think that much of that was by design (particularly think Epstein didn't care for those who, well, enjoyed a Derek Lowe lifestyle).

As an example, I both dislike Manny Ramirez (hit his wife; steroid cheat; all 'round jerk) and recognize his charisma (undeniable obvious love of the game; the high-five of the fan between catch and throw; etc.).  With Manny, I wound up disliking him more than I enjoyed the charisma.

The 2012 Sox have some real ugly jerks on the DL (Lackey; Jenks), and a few guys who you can't help but root for (Lester, Ross, Pedroia, Aviles, MacDonald come to mind).

The real differentiator for me is the dudes in-between: your Ellsburies, Becketts, Bards, Gonzalezes ... they just don't do it for me the way that, say, Mike Lowell or Pokey Reese did.  Those guys weren't superstars but managed to connect with fans via the media, or simply by showing exuberance in their play.

Current crop leaves me a bit cold.

And let's not even go into Beckett and Youseless - I would actually pay handsomely to watch streamed video of the two of them stranded on a desert island together.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He can't get on base

He refuses to hit the cut off man

He can't catch a cold in the OF including blowing the final play of the season (even Timmy Lupis got lucky once)

His entire attitude towards his failure including where he bats in the order and his "go talk to the Captain" statement

I find him dispicable - I just can't stand to even look at him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]What on EARTH is despicable about Carl Crawford?  Is there a wife-beating arrest I don't know of? I get the drift of the OP, and some of the (knee-jerk) responses, and choose to look at it this way: where's the charisma? When players don't have a ton of exposure, sometimes you don't know how "likable" (or charismatic) they may be.  Who'd have guessed Kevin Millar was so much fun when he was a journeyman OF? That said, I do find the current squad a tad dour compared to the days of the "Idiots," and think that much of that was by design (particularly think Epstein didn't care for those who, well, enjoyed a Derek Lowe lifestyle). As an example, I both dislike Manny Ramirez (hit his wife; steroid cheat; all 'round jerk) and recognize his charisma (undeniable obvious love of the game; the high-five of the fan between catch and throw; etc.).  With Manny, I wound up disliking him more than I enjoyed the charisma. The 2012 Sox have some real ugly jerks on the DL (Lackey; Jenks), and a few guys who you can't help but root for (Lester, Ross, Pedroia, Aviles, MacDonald come to mind). The real differentiator for me is the dudes in-between: your Ellsburies, Becketts, Bards, Gonzalezes ... they just don't do it for me the way that, say, Mike Lowell or Pokey Reese did.  Those guys weren't superstars but managed to connect with fans via the media, or simply by showing exuberance in their play. Current crop leaves me a bit cold. And let's not even go into Beckett and Youseless - I would actually pay handsomely to watch streamed video of the two of them stranded on a desert island together.
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]

Well there it is. It's like someone took my thoughts, added a little reasoning, finished with some class, and baked at "sensible" for about 2 hours.

Very, very well stated. I guess my overall frustration limited my ability to express myself well. You nailed it though.

Also, above, someone noted it's only about half of the team, I agree whole-heartedly. It's disappointing that it's so few, especially considering some of those "likes" have played less than ten games for the team.

Beckett lost me not last season, but his handling of it in the offseason, and this season.

I've been withdrawing my fandom from Ortiz since his "it's been 2 f . . . ing games!" from a few years ago, culminating with his burst in on the interview, and his remarks at the end of last season talking about how Alfredo shoud be starting, he didn't know why he wasn't. Right or wrong, it was very innapropriate to say at all, but how he said it made it even worse. THEN to talk about how he might play for the Yankees, and he didn't like dealing with all this stuff. I just am disappointed in him, his ego has obviously grown to immense proportions.

Ellsbury, who I was very hard on early with the ribs, and other injury stuff prior to that, then the notebook speech...I've come around on him. He's kept his mouth shut and just played hard. I respect that. I've always enjoyed watching him play.

Aviles/Ross I don't have much of an opinion on yet. I just haven't seen enough of them, though I liked Ross in FL as a player.

Punto I liked in MIN, but again, not much to be said about his time here, and he's a backup, hard to get too excited about him.

Bard and Gonzalez are kind of the same to me. I like both as players, but they lack in the personality department.

Pedroia is Pedroia. Love his play, style of play, and effort. Don't love all the bravado, but that's just me. I did, however, get a kick out of he and Francona's back and forth's, those were classic. I'll miss them.

Youk. Ugh. I always knew he'd end up this way. Many people did. He played with TOO much of an edge. I still contend that the Manny scuffle was Youk's fault, he doesn't know when to chill out. I love the hard nosed play, but could do without the attitiude. Too many Sox players complain about too many dang calls. Just play.

I love Lester. Always have. Always will.

Nobody in the bullpen excites me. Aceves is fine, I respect where he's come from, and what he's done for the team. Can't say I know much else about him...oh, he came from the Yankees, bonus point for that.

Atchison does nothing for me. He's had kind of a cult following since last spring. Personally, I don't really get it.

I like Salty. Can't even really give a good reason beyond so many people DON'T like him, and I've always kind of pulled for him, since his days of splitting time in TEX. I really want to see him excel. There have been a LOT of doubters.

Lackey could go away and make me happy. I don't even care if he went 30-0 for another team, I'd be happy he wasn't here.

Jenks? What a waste of 12 million.

They just don't do it for me. Then add in management and ownership? Yuck. If CHerrington is going to be called the 'GM', at least let him make a decision or two. He didn't want Valentine. He DID want more pitching. But, to his credit (or is it?) he's kept his mouth shut, or said the pro-management thing.

When Wakefield walked off the mound in 2003 having given up a game losing, World Series appearance losing HR to that scrub Boone...I hurt with the team. I truly liked a LOT of those players.I liked Grady Little and his huckish goofiness. This team? I'm cynically laughing at their failures.