Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?

In Response to Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?:
    I'm not saying everyone is unlikeable, not even close. But who, as people/athletes, do you really root for as a person, and not just because he's a member of the Sox? I'll offer the ONE I do root for: Lester - Home grown. Talented. Humble and accountable (the only person that I'm aware of who reached out to tito and apologized) Beckett? Texas tough guy? Totally unaccountable. Kind of a prima donna (THREE docs visits for a thumb that's fine? really? THREE!). Definitely a blowhard, though that IS sometimes a positive for a SP, given everything else, I'm not a big fan Youkillis? Sure, plays hard, but ALWAYS looks mad about something and does not conduct himself, on the field, ina very 'professional' manner with all his complaining and swearing. Ortiz? I don't find it likeable when he complains about EVERY F R E A K I N G CALLED STRIKE AGAINST HIM! Breaking in on interviews because of one lousy RBI (way to be a TEAM player). Ellsbury? Fairly quiet...ly counting the days to his payday. Exciting to watch, sure, but he looks like a mercenary to me...only here because he's paid to be, nothing that he seems attached to about Boston or the Sox. Pedroia? You could definitely make a case for him, but his classic Napoleonic complex wears on me. He ALWAYS has some snide remark, wise a s s thing to say. Once in a while, S H U T U P! Seriously, everyone knows he's a good player, scholarship to a TOP baseball school, ROY, MVP, all star selections...let the chip go, people acknowledge you. Who else is there? A SS either in the minors or a guy who likely won't be here next year? OH, I FORGOT ONE! Saltalamacchia. I really like his kid. He plays hard, puts in the work he needs to and plays the right way. Also, I like him more because so many people want to run a 26 YEAR OLD out of town for not being good enough, fast enough. I like Salty. Do people even have an opinion about Melancon or Bailey? Bard, perhaps. Aceves? Not sure why anyone would, he's a middle relief guy, though he did very well for them last year. My point is...this team really has no, or very few people to 'root' for. The "Nation" will forever root for the Sox, but who, individually? Manny, however it turned out, was must see TV for most of his time here. happy, jovial, engaging. Ortiz USED to be the same. Then he started to play bad, and got p i s s e d that anyone dare question"Big Papi". He hasn't really been the same teddy bearish guy since Pedro, and then Manny left. People rooted for Pedro, Damon, even someone like Millar and Nixon have garnered passionate followings in Boston. Varitek was a highly respected and liked player/captain. Many, many people rooted for Tito! (though just as many rooted against haha) Wakefield had a loyal following for a long time, waning only at the bitter, overused end. Nomar was treated like a GOD. Now...who? THe last i can remember was the bullpen band...that was a group of fun loving, performing, dedicated group who was fun to watch, and easy to root for. Rememeber the Papelbon/Del Carmen "Blame it on the Rain" video? Awesome stuff. Who would do that now? I can't think of anyone. Depressing.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Your post is way too long for a dude who finds his team's players to be less than likeable. My suggestion for YOUR apparent dilemma?

Learn how to score a ballgame...

...you'll become more interested in results than personalities or try following another game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?:
    I'm not saying everyone is unlikeable, not even close. But who, as people/athletes, do you really root for as a person, and not just because he's a member of the Sox? I'll offer the ONE I do root for:

Son, it must be hard to please you.

Lester - Home grown. Talented. Humble and accountable (the only person that I'm aware of who reached out to tito and apologized)

Dead on here.  Can't miss the mark with this scrapper.  Significant phrase is "that you know of."  Man of honor.

Beckett? Texas tough guy? Totally unaccountable. Kind of a prima donna (THREE docs visits for a thumb that's fine? really? THREE!).

Um,  if you wanted to make sure and your livelihood depended on it?  Took my wife to six different doctors over a three years period.  She was in great pain, but 5 of the 6 didn't believe fybromialgia was a real illness.  $30,000 later, guess what? (Early 80's)

Definitely a blowhard, though that IS sometimes a positive for a SP, given everything else, I'm not a big fan

Youkillis? Sure, plays hard, but ALWAYS looks mad about something and does not conduct himself, on the field, ina very 'professional' manner with all his complaining and swearing.

Huh?   Fights for every pitch.  Even uses his body as part of the fight. I can always do without the swearing, dadgummit.

Ortiz? I don't find it likeable when he complains about EVERY F R E A K I N G CALLED STRIKE AGAINST HIM! Breaking in on interviews because of one lousy RBI (way to be a TEAM player).

Love Papi .... so much so my cats now call me Papi.  Complain about each pitch ...REALLY

REALLY?

IN  THIS FAN BASE WE HAVE FANS WHO TALK ABOUT EACH SWING ... SAY HE CAN'T  CATCH UP ANYMORE...

AND IT ISN'T THE ONE RBI, ITS THE ONE THAT MAY MAKE 100 IN THE SEASON ... HOW MANY HERE SAY PAPI'S LOST IT BECASUE HE'S ONE DINGER AWAY FROM 30 OR 1 RBI OR TWO FROM 100????

Ellsbury? Fairly quiet...ly counting the days to his payday. Exciting to watch, sure, but he looks like a mercenary to me...only here because he's paid to be, nothing that he seems attached to about Boston or the Sox.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU KNOW THAT HE'S JUST BIDING HIS TIME?  HE JUST GAVE US ONE OF THE  BEST STATISTCAL YEARS EVER AND  HE'S JUST BIDING HIS TIME??????????

MAN, IT'S HARD TO PLEASE YOU!!!

HE SAYS HE WANTS TO STAY A RED SOX ....

Pedroia? You could definitely make a case for him, but his classic Napoleonic complex wears on me. He ALWAYS has some snide remark, wise a s s thing to say. Once in a while, S H U T U P! Seriously, everyone knows he's a good player, scholarship to a TOP baseball school, ROY, MVP, all star selections...let the chip go, people acknowledge you. Who else is there?

WHAT??????????

WHATT?????????????????

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE ....

A SS either in the minors or a guy who likely won't be here next year? OH, I FORGOT ONE! Saltalamacchia. I really like his kid. He plays hard, puts in the work he needs to and plays the right way. Also, I like him more because so many people want to run a 26 YEAR OLD out of town for not being good enough, fast enough. I like Salty. Do people even have an opinion about Melancon or Bailey? Bard, perhaps. Aceves? Not sure why anyone would, he's a middle relief guy, though he did very well for them last year. My point is...this team really has no, or very few people to 'root' for. The "Nation" will forever root for the Sox, but who, individually? Manny, however it turned out, was must see TV for most of his time here. happy, jovial, engaging. Ortiz USED to be the same. Then he started to play bad, and got p i s s e d that anyone dare question"Big Papi". He hasn't really been the same teddy bearish guy since Pedro, and then Manny left. People rooted for Pedro, Damon, even someone like Millar and Nixon have garnered passionate followings in Boston. Varitek was a highly respected and liked player/captain. Many, many people rooted for Tito! (though just as many rooted against haha) Wakefield had a loyal following for a long time, waning only at the bitter, overused end. Nomar was treated like a GOD. Now...who? THe last i can remember was the bullpen band...that was a group of fun loving, performing, dedicated group who was fun to watch, and easy to root for. Rememeber the Papelbon/Del Carmen "Blame it on the Rain" video? Awesome stuff. Who would do that now? I can't think of anyone. Depressing.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

ma6dragon9, when you mentioned Wade Boggs my head started spinning.  All of the things you said were and probably still are true.  Didn't he eat fried chicken before every game?  I think I remember seeing something about his many pregame superstitions.

Anyway..though that was funny. 

I think the majority of this team has become "likeable"  Many things for many players to prove, lot of chips on a lot of shoulders and you can't not like that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In Response to Re: Help me out....who is LIKEABLE on this team?:
    Who isnt??  
    Posted by J-BAY

Jenks?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I love the personal attacks because I have an unpopular opinion. Classy. I can understand why a player's character would mean little to many of you. Way to prove my point.

Another funny thing...many people mention Pedey...he was the gimmee I left out there. But nobody could outline a reason WHY they like him. Scrappy? Always competitive? Gives FULL effort 100% of the time? No, easier to just nitpick how I must personally be for nitpicking character flaws on this team.

Just worry about on the field? Ok. Go ahead and bring every wife beater, fan scorning player in then, so long as they produce! Right? I wish we had Albert...I mean Joey, Belle once upon a time, that guy could really rake. Milton bradley could have been had many times over the past few years...another good hitter! We DID have Jurassic Carl for a while....people LOVED him when he hit, didn't they? Why waste those latter years on Varitek and his total LACK of production? I mean, especially if a guy like AJ Pierzzzzzzzzz.....whatever, could be had!

For the first 6 years or so, who had much negative to say about Manny? "Manny being Manny" anyone? It got tough to root for him over the last 2 years, sure, but let's avoid revisionist history here. He of the 04 WS MVP. Take it for what it's worth, but it was him, not anyone else.

Ellsbury HAS in fact said he wants to stay here. Go ahead and show me any player in a similar situation who HASN'T said that, and I'll put a little more weight on it.

The TEAM I loved was 04. That was a VERY different Ortiz. They got RID of a good player, malcontent low character guy in Nomar. Other guys it was very easy to root for:

Damon
    Pedro
    Manny
    Millar
    Mueller
    Varitek
    Nixon
    Dave Roberts (came here and happily accepted a fill in/reserve role after being a starter)
    Embree
    Lowe
    Wakefield
    Timlin
    Mirabelli
    Orlando Cabrera (what a pleasant sight after watching Nomar sulk around)
    Daubers (Daubach)
    Kapler
    Ellis Burks, if only because he came full circle.

Other players not easy to root for neccessarily:

Bellhorn (Blowhorn)
    Schilling
    Foulke

See the difference here? People can pick 3 or 4, or 7 or 8 players they like on the current team. That's not good enough. I've been on an island for two years cautioning people against this team reverting back to Sox teams of the 80s that were totally missing character, but ALWAYS had a lot of talent. What did that get them, exactly? "25 players and 25 cabs".

At least ownership is on the side of most of you, they seemingly don't care about mental makeup, and only about stats and what a computer spits out, Crawford being the biggest, most obvious example of this, and the SS position in general. Drew being another, I'll never forget "according to OUR metrics, he's actually worth a tick ABOVE what we're paying him" give me a break.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bobby V has a very warm personality. I will never forget his efforts rigt after the 9-1-1 attacks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Some of my favorites over the years .... many of them Tier II types.... Jeff Frye Darren Bragg Dave Roberts Trot Nixon Brett Saberhagen Mo Vaughn Pedro Martinez Curt Schilling Ellis Burks
    Posted by EnchiladaT

Loved Jeff Frye.

On this year's team how do you not like DMac?  You have to root for a guy like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

I like em all as long as they wear a Red sox Jersey.   I am not trying to be friends with them,  i dont care what they are like in their personal lives,  Just what they do in the uniform.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Unless they beat their wives or kill children I like anyone who wears a Sox uniform. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Sorry but I find you and this stupid thread unlikeable.

Personally,  I like EVERYONE THAT PUTS ON THE RED SOX UNIFORM no matter what they are like--- nothing else matters.

Next Subject!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

I love the personal attacks because I have an unpopular opinion. Classy. I can understand why a player's character would mean little to many of you. Way to prove my point. Another funny thing...many people mention Pedey...he was the gimmee I left out there. But nobody could outline a reason WHY they like him. Scrappy? Always competitive? Gives FULL effort 100% of the time? No, easier to just nitpick how I must personally be for nitpicking character flaws on this team. Just worry about on the field? Ok. Go ahead and bring every wife beater, fan scorning player in then, so long as they produce! Right? I wish we had Albert...I mean Joey, Belle once upon a time, that guy could really rake. Milton bradley could have been had many times over the past few years...another good hitter! We DID have Jurassic Carl for a while....people LOVED him when he hit, didn't they? Why waste those latter years on Varitek and his total LACK of production? I mean, especially if a guy like AJ Pierzzzzzzzzz.....whatever, could be had! For the first 6 years or so, who had much negative to say about Manny? "Manny being Manny" anyone? It got tough to root for him over the last 2 years, sure, but let's avoid revisionist history here. He of the 04 WS MVP. Take it for what it's worth, but it was him, not anyone else. Ellsbury HAS in fact said he wants to stay here. Go ahead and show me any player in a similar situation who HASN'T said that, and I'll put a little more weight on it. The TEAM I loved was 04. That was a VERY different Ortiz. They got RID of a good player, malcontent low character guy in Nomar. Other guys it was very easy to root for: Damon Pedro Manny Millar Mueller Varitek Nixon Dave Roberts (came here and happily accepted a fill in/reserve role after being a starter) Embree Lowe Wakefield Timlin Mirabelli Orlando Cabrera (what a pleasant sight after watching Nomar sulk around) Daubers (Daubach) Kapler Ellis Burks, if only because he came full circle. Other players not easy to root for neccessarily: Bellhorn (Blowhorn) Schilling Foulke See the difference here? People can pick 3 or 4, or 7 or 8 players they like on the current team. That's not good enough. I've been on an island for two years cautioning people against this team reverting back to Sox teams of the 80s that were totally missing character, but ALWAYS had a lot of talent. What did that get them, exactly? "25 players and 25 cabs". At least ownership is on the side of most of you, they seemingly don't care about mental makeup, and only about stats and what a computer spits out, Crawford being the biggest, most obvious example of this, and the SS position in general. Drew being another, I'll never forget "according to OUR metrics, he's actually worth a tick ABOVE what we're paying him" give me a break.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Ellsbury said he wants to stay but idiots like you know exactly what he wants? OK. The guy should leave with fans like you. He just put up possibly the best year ever by a leadoff hitter and you want to question his desire to be here. Laughable really. He goes about his job and keeps his nose clean what more do fools like you want. I think the only thing dumber than your thread is you yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

zap please tell us your not a sports coach for children... you have an awful attitude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

First of all, I usually wait until I actually meet someone before I decided whether or not I like them - one glaring exception being ARod.  But... that having been said, let's see... taking things in order....

Salty.. yeah, I like what this kid brings to the game.  I DO wish he were a 25 year old Veritek but he's not, but he works his butt off trying to get better and I don't think he gets enough credit for what he does.  He seems to belong to the club of, "Don't be the guy who replace the legend.  Be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces the guy who's the legend."  Once we get by the fact that he's not Jason he'll look better to us. 

AGon.  Ok, maybe it's just me and I hate to dump on someone who's got the reputation of sitting at the right hand of God when it comes to baseball, but is anyone other than me sick of watching him almost walk to first base when he hits a ground ball to the infield?  For the kind of money he's making I expect him to 'leg it out'.  I don't expect him to sprint, but I DO expect him to at least make it look like he's trying.  That having been said, I DO like and appreciate everything else about him - although the "God's Plan" think did wear on me a bit. 

Pedey.  Gotta love him.  Nobody puts more into the game than Pedey.  He works hard at the game, he plays hard, and he has NO TOLERANCE for his own mistakes.  (Ever see his reaction when he makes an error?)

Aviles - Underrated.  Works hard at his position and doesn't complain.  What more can you ask for?

Youk.  I don't think I've ever seen a player who plays with as much intensity as Youk does.  He's got to be a poster child for the Type A Personality.  That's got to make him difficult to be around at times but it's also what drives him. 

Crawford. I'll include him because in my mind he's one of the starters.  I find nothing not to like about him.  He handled last year's abysmal season with class in spite of the (justified) criticism he took. I think that says volumes about his character. Yeah, I think he's overpaid, but that's not what this thread is about.

Ellsbury.  My favorite player on the team.  Who's worked any harder than Ells to make himself better??  Sure, he's quiet and allegedly keeps to himself a lot but that may be his personality.  If so, so what?

Sweeney.  I don't know much about him yet but I like what I see.

Papi.  Some of the luster wore off him last year with his behavior.  I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest problems last September was a lack of good team chemistry, and team chemistry is a funny thing in that much of it is determined by W's and L's. The more W's the better the chemistry and the more L's the worse it gets. As far as Ortiz goes I'm not sure what came first - the bad chemistry or the bad attitude. This year will tell that story.

Ross.  I'm throwing him in here because he's going to be an early-season starter and because it looks like he's bringing something to this team that it needs - a certain looseness that's lacking in everyone else.

The pitching staff:
    Beckett.  Anyone who's played the game knows that he's got the fire in his belly.  He's one of those guys whom you LOVE if he's on your team and HATE if he plays for someone else.  I'll take his intensity and drive to be successful anytime.

Lester.  It's been said before in this thread.  He's a cancer survivor with the life's insight that comes with that.  He knows that baseball is just a game and has his perspectives in order.  I find NOTHING not to like about Lester.

Buch.  He's mellowed.  He started out as a kid who was in awe of where he was (Evidence:  He dated a Penthouse Pet of the month!  LOL) but now is realizing that baseball is more than fun and games.  He's getting better all the time with his new-found maturity.

That's as far as I'm going with this except to say that the clubhouse makeup is a fragile thing with everyone having their own personalties.  It's inevitible that some players will form close friendships but the important thing is that they all realize the common goal. I think the intentsity of Youk, the antics of Pedey and the brashness of Beckett are going to be mitigated by what Ross' "looseness" brings to the team. 
    Right now I like the team's chemistry, and I think Valentine is the right guy at the right time to make it work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Really? Today?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

zap please tell us your not a sports coach for children... you have an awful attitude.
    Posted by EnchiladaT

Coached kids for 30 years but Im pretty sure this forum is a different animal. You actually compare forum chatter to real life? Calling a jerk out doesnt equal bad attitude. Do you know me personally? No you dont so you are way off base to even comment on my attitude.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

ma6dragon9 , when you mentioned Wade Boggs my head started spinning.  All of the things you said were and probably still are true.  Didn't he eat fried chicken before every game?  I think I remember seeing something about his many pregame superstitions. Anyway..though that was funny.  I think the majority of this team has become "likeable"  Many things for many players to prove, lot of chips on a lot of shoulders and you can't not like that. 
    Posted by never1954

Boggs ate chicken before almost every game, don't think it was fried all the time.  I seem to recall him saying he really liked lemon chicken, which is definitely not fried.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I like beckett as a player. I dont care what a professional athlete is like in real life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

All you do is cuss posters out.... when you post 6 times a month and 5 of them ae direct attacks then yes you are a bad apple. You probably are the type you yells and screams at the games. Real Hero

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

First of all, I usually wait until I actually meet someone before I decided whether or not I like them - one glaring exception being ARod.  But... that having been said, let's see... taking things in order.... Salty.. yeah, I like what this kid brings to the game.  I DO wish he were a 25 year old Veritek but he's not, but he works his butt off trying to get better and I don't think he gets enough credit for what he does.  He seems to belong to the club of, "Don't be the guy who replace the legend.  Be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces the guy who's the legend."  Once we get by the fact that he's not Jason he'll look better to us.  AGon.  Ok, maybe it's just me and I hate to dump on someone who's got the reputation of sitting at the right hand of God when it comes to baseball, but is anyone other than me sick of watching him almost walk to first base when he hits a ground ball to the infield?  For the kind of money he's making I expect him to 'leg it out'.  I don't expect him to sprint, but I DO expect him to at least make it look like he's trying.  That having been said, I DO like and appreciate everything else about him - although the "God's Plan" think did wear on me a bit.  Pedey.  Gotta love him.  Nobody puts more into the game than Pedey.  He works hard at the game, he plays hard, and he has NO TOLERANCE for his own mistakes.  (Ever see his reaction when he makes an error?) Aviles - Underrated.  Works hard at his position and doesn't complain.  What more can you ask for? Youk.  I don't think I've ever seen a player who plays with as much intensity as Youk does.  He's got to be a poster child for the Type A Personality.  That's got to make him difficult to be around at times but it's also what drives him.  Crawford. I'll include him because in my mind he's one of the starters.  I find nothing not to like about him.  He handled last year's abysmal season with class in spite of the (justified) criticism he took. I think that says volumes about his character. Yeah, I think he's overpaid, but that's not what this thread is about. Ellsbury.  My favorite player on the team.  Who's worked any harder than Ells to make himself better??  Sure, he's quiet and allegedly keeps to himself a lot but that may be his personality.  If so, so what? Sweeney.  I don't know much about him yet but I like what I see. Papi.  Some of the luster wore off him last year with his behavior.  I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest problems last September was a lack of good team chemistry, and team chemistry is a funny thing in that much of it is determined by W's and L's. The more W's the better the chemistry and the more L's the worse it gets. As far as Ortiz goes I'm not sure what came first - the bad chemistry or the bad attitude. This year will tell that story. Ross.  I'm throwing him in here because he's going to be an early-season starter and because it looks like he's bringing something to this team that it needs - a certain looseness that's lacking in everyone else. The pitching staff: Beckett.  Anyone who's played the game knows that he's got the fire in his belly.  He's one of those guys whom you LOVE if he's on your team and HATE if he plays for someone else.  I'll take his intensity and drive to be successful anytime. Lester.  It's been said before in this thread.  He's a cancer survivor with the life's insight that comes with that.  He knows that baseball is just a game and has his perspectives in order.  I find NOTHING not to like about Lester. Buch.  He's mellowed.  He started out as a kid who was in awe of where he was (Evidence:  He dated a Penthouse Pet of the month!  LOL) but now is realizing that baseball is more than fun and games.  He's getting better all the time with his new-found maturity. That's as far as I'm going with this except to say that the clubhouse makeup is a fragile thing with everyone having their own personalties.  It's inevitible that some players will form close friendships but the important thing is that they all realize the common goal. I think the intentsity of Youk, the antics of Pedey and the brashness of Beckett are going to be mitigated by what Ross' "looseness" brings to the team.  Right now I like the team's chemistry, and I think Valentine is the right guy at the right time to make it work.
    Posted by S5

Thank you.

Someone actually took the time to give players, and reasons why you like them, or not so much in some cases.

And thank you to those who can accept an opinion differing from theirs and at least offered up a list of players they like rather than just going on an immature personal attack.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Sorry but I find you and this stupid thread unlikeable. Personally,  I like EVERYONE THAT PUTS ON THE RED SOX UNIFORM no matter what they are like--- nothing else matters. Next Subject!
    Posted by Yaso#7

Ok, now I know where to file you.

I'm shocked at how many people simply root for the laundry...matters little, it seems, what kind of person they are.

I accepted that once upon a time...then I grew up and realized these grown men make absurd amounts of money and should conduct themselves in some sort of professional manner, both on AND off the field.

If they want to accept the money, and adulation, and applause and everything that comes with being a celebrity, ESPECIALLY in a town like Boston, then they can be decent people. If they don't want to be decent people, go work a regular job that is OUT of the public eye, and doesn't rely on FAN SUPPORT TO MAKE A LIVING.

Funny how people didn't "support the laundry" around here when, say, Schilling had some pro-Republican things in a decidedly Democratic state. What happened then? How many of you spoke out about how wrong he was? But that was OFF the field! It shouldn't have mattered! So why in the h e l l did so many fans get outraged over it? Hypocritical much?

Why do people care if Manny visits Vets in a hospital? It's OFF the field!

No, the real problem people have is with me voicing an unpopular opinion.

Give REASONS why you like them, PROVE ME WRONG. Or, heck, read a little, what's the first three words of this thread title again? I WANT people to prove me wrong, show me the light, give me something to feel GOOD about with this team when I see so many flaws. If you're happy with the team, happy with the past 2 seasons, happy with the direction...well, good for you. I'm not.

Take the Sox colored glasses off and let's have a discussion, or is that beyond the capacity of this forum?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It appears that Smelly/Law09 have nothing better to do on opening day than bump old threads.

Thread bump.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I can't believe someone chose this as a topic to kick off the season.
    This team is full of likealbe players.  Maybe the op would prefer a team of perfect robots.
    Ellsbury is quiet and maybe doesn't seem to enjoy the team as much as others, but can you blame him?  He was injured and a majority of the fan base turned on him and thought he was weak.  Then he has a good season and the fans like him again.  That would just make me realize a lot of fans are shallow and phony.
    Disliking Pedroia, that's sad.  I have never heard a bad word about his character.  He acts arrogant, but some of that is an act and it only helps the energy and attitude of the team.
    You're allowed to dislike players because they don't say the exact right thing all the time or they show they're emotions occasionally, that's your problem.  When you start a post on opening day saying the team is unlikeable based on your unreasonable standards you should expect to get harassed about it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pedey, ells, salty, agon....lots of good hard working players.....

lackey/drew gone=likeability factor x3

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Who is LIKEABLE on this team?

#1 Ellsbury. He is a Native American from my home State of Oregon, went to Oregon State, has fought hard against an ungrateful fanbase and the Boston Media, not to mention team members e.g. Tough Guy Youk, to become one of the best leadoff hitters and centerfielders in the game. I root for him always and love his style of play, fast, hits for average, growing power and plays his heart out on defense. So he is not a loud mouth like Youklis, Beckett, Lackey, Pedey and Ortiz. That charactaristic is not important to me whatsoever. And I will say it again. When all the Ellsbury haters look at who is playing centerfield and who is leading off in 2015, each of you will miss Ells a lot.

#2 Pedey. Simply the way he plays the game so hard, giving it all, not to mention the stats make it easy to like Pedey.

#3 Big Papi. Love the dramatics on the field. Love the smile. Love what he has done for the Red Sox so many times in important situations....Gone Papi!!

#4 Lester. His comeback from cancer is a great and heartwarming story. His fessing up like a Man about Chickengate was admirable. I just wish he would finally reach the Ace potential he has.

Many others are okay and I root for all of them of course. Three I root to do well when performing but just do not like their character at all are Lackey, Youklis and Beckett.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Give REASONS why you like them, PROVE ME WRONG. Or, heck, read a little, what's the first three words of this thread title again? I WANT people to prove me wrong, show me the light, give me something to feel GOOD about with this team when I see so many flaws. If you're happy with the team, happy with the past 2 seasons, happy with the direction...well, good for you. I'm not.

Take the Sox colored glasses off and let's have a discussion, or is that beyond the capacity of this forum?

Ok--- You missed my point.

Ellsbury--- love him (probably my favorite)
    Pedey-- gamer-- plays like you are supposed to.
    Agon--- great hitter
    Ortiz--- the past matters--- the future also counts-- shut up and Hit like you can.
    Youk--- man the guy can sweat---(his walk up song should be INXS-- "I need you tonight") don't like him as a 3B--- was better @ 1B.
    Crawford--- was playing hurt more than everyone knows last season.  Contract is too big but he will earn most it these next few years.
    Sweeney-- good D --- decent stick(contact)  no pop.
    Ross--- after all said and done--20 HR's 80 RBI's--- Marco who?
    Salty--- getting better--- long swing-- cares/plays hard.
    Aviles--- underrated-- will give same Defense as Scutaro--- will hit for more pop.
    DMac-- good stick vs Lefties off the Bench.
    Punto-- decent utility/bench player
    Shoppach--- defensive catcher with pop--- mendoza line candidate.

Lester--- awesome pitcher--- even better person
    Beckett--- Love this guy as a pitcher--- gets a bad rap as person
    Buch--- this is his year to step up
    Dubront--- wait and see
    Bard---- torn here--- would like him better as a closer, but I think he could eventually be a good # 3.

Dice K--- Could be huge if he pitches well when he comes back.

Bullpen--- I like them all if they throw strikes and are effective--- if not, find someone else.

Bobby V--- I have an open mind so I am willing to give him a chance before an opinion is formed.   Tito did a nice job while he was here--- but he was AWFUL last year and change was needed.

My original point was simply--- I root for the Sox no matter what.  Not a big fan of these "days of our lives" threads, but I do understand that you were just trying to make conversation.

Sections
Shortcuts