Help us Japan, you are our only hope...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Help us Japan, you are our only hope...

Much to the chagrin of Dustin Pedroia, perhaps only the Japanese way can save the pitching staff:  the much-maligned Daisuke Matsuzaka already in rehab starts (tonight), due back by the third or fourth week in May.  All reports are of long-lost fastball life and top form.  This club needs 2007-2008 Dice-K.  If they get it, maybe there is hope afterall.  And, it will allow for Valentine to keep Bard in his correct place at the backend of the bullpen, which already may be much bolstered by the arrival and emergence of crafty, competitor Junichi Tazawa.  Dusty may not appreciate how things are done over there, but Junichi and Dice just may.  Here's hoping.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope...

Can DiceK serve as an elite RH bat, between AGon and Ortiz?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When are these people going to learn?

Daisuke's problems have never been about arm strength or "throwing the ball well."

He has problems with location, he has never learned to vary his pitches and location. The guy throws everything but the kitchen sink but when he throws it in the zone, he gets whalloped. When he doesn't throw it in the zone he walks the bases loaded.

If you are holding out hope of a "new Daisuke" ...forget it.

The solution for this guy is a new venue. A ballclub with less pressure.

He suffers from the Kevin Pavano syndrome. He cannot pitch for a high profile team. He cannot handle the pressure. If somebody in Kansas City wanted to take a chance on him, we might get at least a backup shortstop or a 4th outfielder for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Carl Pavano?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

In response to "Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope...":
    Carl Pavano? Posted by jgallag1
    No his brother, kevin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Is "Kevin Pavano Syndrome" a disorder in which people don't know your first name?  Or maybe I don't know Kevin, just his bro Carl....

I think it is unfortunate that Bard is now getting sent back to the pen.  He was very very good on Monday against TB and showed in that start that, long term, his greatest potential value to the Red Sox is in a starting role.

I understand the need to move him back to the bullpen but I just don't think it serves the Red Sox or Bard the best in the long term. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

DiceK pitched well for the Red Sox in 2007 and 2008.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope...:
    When are these people going to learn? Daisuke's problems have never been about arm strength or "throwing the ball well." He has problems with location, he has never learned to vary his pitches and location. The guy throws everything but the kitchen sink but when he throws it in the zone, he gets whalloped. When he doesn't throw it in the zone he walks the bases loaded. If you are holding out hope of a "new Daisuke" ...forget it. The solution for this guy is a new venue. A ballclub with less pressure. He suffers from the Kevin Pavano syndrome. He cannot pitch for a high profile team. He cannot handle the pressure. If somebody in Kansas City wanted to take a chance on him, we might get at least a backup shortstop or a 4th outfielder for him.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

But, Zil, he already has pitched well in Boston.  He was a solid starter on a championship club, and was pretty darn good in 2008.  And, after a miserable start to 2009 and subsequent summer banishment to Ft. Meyers, Dice came back that September and pitched the best he had to date.  2010 was poor, and 2011 lost to injury.  and, no, he has never shown the ability/willingness to attack the strike zone. So, he is by no means a saving grace (there was intended humor in my OP in that regard), but it is an overstatement to say he can;t pitch in Boston.  He already has.  I do hold out hope for Matsuzaka.  He is at a critical juncture in his career, and seems to be commited and on board.  I say he breaks through and, assuming he stays healthy, pitches like he is pitching for his career.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Is "Kevin Pavano Syndrome" a disorder in which people don't know your first name?  Or maybe I don't know Kevin, just his bro Carl.... I think it is unfortunate that Bard is now getting sent back to the pen.  He was very very good on Monday against TB and showed in that start that, long term, his greatest potential value to the Red Sox is in a starting role. I understand the need to move him back to the bullpen but I just don't think it serves the Red Sox or Bard the best in the long term. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Do you guys really think Zilla doesn't know Pavano's first name?  I think he's referring to a Kevin Brown/ Carl Pavano hybrid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : Do you guys really think Zilla doesn't know Pavano's first name?  I think he's referring to a Kevin Brown/ Carl Pavano hybrid.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident

Carvin Browvano.

Edjulio Rentalugo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Help us Japan, you are our only hope...:
    Much to the chagrin of Dustin Pedroia, perhaps only the Japanese way can save the pitching staff:  the much-maligned Daisuke Matsuzaka already in rehab starts (tonight), due back by the third or fourth week in May.  All reports are of long-lost fastball life and top form.  This club needs 2007-2008 Dice-K.  If they get it, maybe there is hope afterall.  And, it will allow for Valentine to keep Bard in his correct place at the backend of the bullpen, which already may be much bolstered by the arrival and emergence of crafty, competitor Junichi Tazawa.  Dusty may not appreciate how things are done over there, but Junichi and Dice just may.  Here's hoping.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

You are really & I mean really reaching if you think Dice K & Tazawa are going to save the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Help us Japan, you are our only hope...:
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I'm for bringing back Okijima, and giving him another shot as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : You are really & I mean really reaching if you think Dice K & Tazawa are going to save the season.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Haha.  I wrote the OP with intended undertone of humor, though I do think Matsuzaka may be an important piece in the turn around of this club (of course, if Cook comes up and pitches as good as it looks like he might, then Dice is only a factor as insurance).  And of course we can't get high on one brief outing from Taz.  But I have been interested in seeing what he could do since his first cup o' coffee a few years back.  Glad he has the shot.  

Though the hyperbole of calling these two potential saviors is a bit much, I do think their respective potential roles in this year's story are very intriguing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : Haha.  I wrote the OP with intended undertone of humor, though I do think Matsuzaka may be an important piece in the turn around of this club (of course, if Cook comes up and pitches as good as it looks like he might, then Dice is only a factor as insurance).  And of course we can't get high on one brief outing from Taz.  But I have been interested in seeing what he could do since his first cup o' coffee a few years back.  Glad he has the shot.   Though the hyperbole of calling these two potential saviors is a bit much, I do think their respective potential roles in this year's story are very intriguing.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    For all it was partially tongue and cheek on your part Space, Dice K is a factor.

Deterioration of the elbow can also be an issue for command and not just velocity. 

I happen to think the chances of Dice K being effective in AL is higher than that of Cook, he will get his shot given the pitching issues the team has.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : Haha.  I wrote the OP with intended undertone of humor, though I do think Matsuzaka may be an important piece in the turn around of this club (of course, if Cook comes up and pitches as good as it looks like he might, then Dice is only a factor as insurance).  And of course we can't get high on one brief outing from Taz.  But I have been interested in seeing what he could do since his first cup o' coffee a few years back.  Glad he has the shot.   Though the hyperbole of calling these two potential saviors is a bit much, I do think their respective potential roles in this year's story are very intriguing.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

True that, I guess they can use all the help they can get.  I just have visions of seeing the same old Dice k - 5 innings, 100 pitches, 4-5 runs. I just realized that might be better than what they are getting now! Lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : True that, I guess they can use all the help they can get.  I just have visions of seeing the same old Dice k - 5 innings, 100 pitches, 4-5 runs. I just realized that might be better than what they are getting now! Lol
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

sad but true jp.  Good point.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : Do you guys really think Zilla doesn't know Pavano's first name?  I think he's referring to a Kevin Brown/ Carl Pavano hybrid.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident

Sorry about the typo....but actually it's kind of funny to think of a Carl Pavano - Kevin Brown hybrid.

Subconsciously, I guess that's where my mind was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Help us Japan, you are our only hope... : But, Zil, he already has pitched well in Boston.  He was a solid starter on a championship club, and was pretty darn good in 2008.  And, after a miserable start to 2009 and subsequent summer banishment to Ft. Meyers, Dice came back that September and pitched the best he had to date.  2010 was poor, and 2011 lost to injury.  and, no, he has never shown the ability/willingness to attack the strike zone. So, he is by no means a saving grace (there was intended humor in my OP in that regard), but it is an overstatement to say he can;t pitch in Boston.  He already has.  I do hold out hope for Matsuzaka.  He is at a critical juncture in his career, and seems to be commited and on board.  I say he breaks through and, assuming he stays healthy, pitches like he is pitching for his career.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Yes, they got one DECENT season out of him.

He wasn't brought here ( at a huge expense mind you), to have one good season every 5 years.

He was compared to Pedro Martinez before he landed.

I would have been happy with Pedro Bourbon

But. he hasn't even been as good as Pedro Astacio.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I swear the umps constantly Squeeze japanease pitchers. Its happened with Dice and its happening with Yu Darvish. There constantly around the plate and the ump just wont give either of em the close call. But yet if it were Tom glavine or Maddux they'd get the same call in a heart beat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

When Dice gets back, he may be the Ace on this staff...

Sections
Shortcuts