Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE!

In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE!:
    [QUOTE]We all know that the players are primarily to blame!   The players are totally to blame, and have the stolen money for zero consideration to prove it.  Youk wasn't the problem, but despite attempts to do so, his contract was too short to have any stature to force player leadership to demand individual player accountability to show up for work and respect the game by playing professional baseball. Valentine will need to take the cry baby fan and media abuse, as he finishes the necessary job of cleaning out the stalls of abject failure players in team leadership positions. Anyone who doesn't know who they are is a mental midget.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    I couldn't agree more. As long as there are guaranteed contracts in MLB, the players will get away with the attitudes they boldly demonstrate. Anyone who thought BV was going to come in and change the mindset of these players in one season has been living in a dream world. These guys are still under the spell of playing for Tito, and it was Tito who got shafted by the same players who are giving it to Bobby Valentine now. The only differnece is that BV isn't taking it, but is telling them things they don't want to hear. He's not sugar coating it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Fans are never consulted about managerial changes, so the OP is nonsense.

There are zero managers available today who could fix the rotation right now or bring back Ortiz and Middlebrooks before they are well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Food for thought:

RS hats @ 25.00 ea - if just 300,000 fans bought one, grand total is: $7,500,000.00 - assume the standard licensing fee of 20%, that's $1,500,000.00 to the Sox. 

T-shirts @ 30.00 ea - x 300,000 = $9,000,000.00 x 20% =$1,800,000.00.

Let's have an average price of $151.00 per seat at Fenway $151.00 x 39,928 = $6,029,128.00 per home game x 82 home games for a whooping annual total of $494,388,496.00.

Now, let's take a look at the sponsors: in 2007, for ONE half-inning..for ONE game, the cost for an ad behind home plate is $300,000.00.  If you have just 1 company advertise there, that's 18 half innings at $300,000.00 per half inning for  82 home games for a grand total of $442,800,000.00.   In order to be able to afford that kind of avert space, companies like WB Mason, Hood, DD, Papa Ginos - have got to be raking in at least 4 x that amount.  The ONLY way they will stop spending scratch on that kind of adverts is if you can convince all of New England to stop buying EVERYTHING any company that advertises on NESN, at Fenway, and anywhere else that might be connected with the Sox. 

Even if 100 people....or even 1,000 people, stopped buying merch and tix and didn't purchase anything from any company that sponsored the Sox it would be little more than a drop in the bucket and will barely be noticed by anyone. 

There are about 620,000 people who live in Boston.  6,497,967 people live in MAss.  And probably at least 300,000 who, like me, don't live there but support the boys.  

I understand the rally cry of "DON'T BUY MERCH!!" but even if everyone on this board stopped it wouldn't even be noticed in the wallets of those that be.  

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, sorry - just trying to look at things from a logical standpoint.   

Feel free to counterpoint. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

More importantly...where did my avi go? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : I couldn't agree more. As long as there are guaranteed contracts in MLB, the players will get away with the attitudes they boldly demonstrate. Anyone who thought BV was going to come in and change the mindset of these players in one season has been living in a dream world. These guys are still under the spell of playing for Tito, and it was Tito who got shafted by the same players who are giving it to Bobby Valentine now. The only differnece is that BV isn't taking it, but is telling them things they don't want to hear. He's not sugar coating it.
    Posted by soxfanwest[/QUOTE]

Most on here fully accept that the players are 90% of the problem.  Bobby V. was brought in ostensibly to improve the clubhouse culture.  He's arguably added to making it worse. 

I understand why Softy fails to grasp this simple concept, but I'm not quite sure why you, & those like you (good RS fans) keep ignoring what we're saying.

Giving the players 90% of the blame is not mutually exclusive of giving BV a share.  While I would love to trade many of these players, we simply would be giving them away, & subsidising their contracts 75+% at this point in the season.  There are a few, like LACKEY, who should simply be let go despite this fact.  STILL....  Bobby V. has made too many mistakes.  He has been an abject failure.  He has brought on much of the controversy with his mouth.  Nobody is following his leadership!  The coaches won't even talk to him. He is a very sad joke, just like Softy!  :)  The most important reason to can BV is, that he's the only person who can go immediately, with the possibility of spurring a modest "run."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Fans are never consulted about managerial changes, so the OP is nonsense. There are zero managers available today who could fix the rotation right now or bring back Ortiz and Middlebrooks before they are well. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I think the outcry by fans against Grady Little had a good deal to do with his firing?

Clearly, I'm pi$$in in the wind, but it certainly helps to vent by making the case publicly.  The players suck, but that does not mean bobby v. shouldn't go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Help fight the Balkanization of the U.S. and RS Nation!  We must all unify under the agreement that Softy is a complete and utter D-"baggie"!   :) 

Fight the urge to agree with him, even when he makes the occasional accidental correct statement.  Don't marginalize yourself by agreeing with a minor point he stumbles apon.  Join the movement.  United we stand, dividers will fall  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

To restate the point of this OP.....

It's too late for ownership & mgnt to "stand by their man."  They never did all season long, & the dysfunction has been allowed to spiral WAY OUT OF CONTROL.  Ownership & mgmt. are now taking a stand for their manager, and against what most fans see as a no brainer.  Bobby V. was never given the backing to LEAD this team to some type of run.  Time has run out!  There is one last shot to unify this team, & make a most likely too late run, but perhaps a run none the less.  The players are 90% to blame, but bobby v. has been a pathetic joke who doesn't stand a chance of spurring on a run.  He is absolutely hanging on to a LAME DUCK term in office.  He's gone after the season.  What could it hurt to cut bait, & fish with a new set?  It simply feels like they are taking a de facto stand against the "mean fans & Boston media?"  Well, I'm taking a stand against ownership.

Sure, it's pi$$in in the wind, but fans should not support this ownership with purchases until a change is made.  Of course we still watch the games, as the Red Sox were OUR TEAM long before it legally became Henry & Co.'s.  Me personally?  I don't go to another game at Fenway, & I don't buy a single piece of merchandise, until they clean house.  Start with bobby v., as he is the easiest short term potential fix!  He deserves to go anyway.  YOU?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Most on here fully accept that the players are 90% of the problem.  Bobby V. was brought in ostensibly to improve the clubhouse culture.  He's arguably added to making it worse.  I understand why Softy fails to grasp this simple concept, but I'm not quite sure why you, & those like you (good RS fans) keep ignoring what we're saying. Giving the players 90% of the blame is not mutually exclusive of giving BV a share.  While I would love to trade many of these players, we simply would be giving them away, & subsidising their contracts 75+% at this point in the season.  There are a few, like LACKEY, who should simply be let go despite this fact.  STILL....  Bobby V. has made too many mistakes.  He has been an abject failure.  He has brought on much of the controversy with his mouth.  Nobody is following his leadership!  The coaches won't even talk to him. He is a very sad joke, just like Softy!  :)  The most important reason to can BV is, that he's the only person who can go immediately, with the possibility of spurring a modest "run."
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Good point, but also keep one thing in mind BV was never allowed his own coaching staff. When was the last time a newly hired mananger had no say in his staff.That in itself creates internal problems.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bobby V. fan by any means, the guy has always had a high opinion of himself,  but there are times when a person deserves the benefit of the doubt. I just think this is one of those times. After all, he tryed to tell ownership that Bard wasn't ready to be a starter and that got him no where. Obviously he had to have seen something in spring training to come to that conclusion. Your right, it's not wise to have a fire sale when the only one who's getting burned is your own organization.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Good point, but also keep one thing in mind BV was never allowed his own coaching staff. When was the last time a newly hired mananger had no say in his staff.That in itself creates internal problems.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bobby V. fan by any means, the guy has always had a high opinion of himself,  but there are times when a person deserves the benefit of the doubt. I just think this is one of those times. After all, he tryed to tell ownership that Bard wasn't ready to be a starter and that got him no where. Obviously he had to have seen something in spring training to come to that conclusion. Your right, it's not wise to have a fire sale when the only one who's getting burned is your own organization.

Where out west soxfanwest?

100 degrees plus here in Oregon !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Where out west soxfanwest? 100 degrees plus here in Oregon !

Socal, about 30 minutes from the Big A

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Socal, about 30 minutes from the Big A

We WERE planning to head down south for the Oakland series.  Not now!  Very sad!

How 'bout you?  Planning on a road trip?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : We WERE planning to head down south for the Oakland series.  Not now!  Very sad! How 'bout you?  Planning on a road trip?

I was planning on getting back to Fenway this year, but I have no interest in spending all that money on this team right now. I will see them in Anahiem though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i'm hoping they won't be 17 out by the time I see them there too, fanwest

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : I was planning on getting back to Fenway this year, but I have no interest in spending all that money on this team right now. I will see them in Anahiem though.

I flew back in July to see Youk's return.  I went back to celebrate the 100 years.  Not to celebrate this team.  Sure, I rooted for them, but my heart was not in it like other years.  At least I got to honor all the greats who came before so many of these clowns!  Too bad bobby v. wasn't ejected the night I went!

My wife & I are reconsidering a trip to Oakland???  We'll see?  We certainly won't be buying any team / player Jerseys like we normally do.  My wife's usually good for scoring a ball though :)  She's good!  So long as the guys don't see my ugly face around her, she usually comes through.  :)

Have fun in Anaheim :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'd keep BV and get rid of trouble makers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : I flew back in July to see Youk's return.  I went back to celebrate the 100 years.  Not to celebrate this team.  Sure, I rooted for them, but my heart was not in it like other years.  At least I got to honor all the greats who came before so many of these clowns!  Too bad bobby v. wasn't ejected the night I went! My wife & I are reconsidering a trip to Oakland???  We'll see?  We certainly won't be buying any team / player Jerseys like we normally do.  My wife's usually good for scoring a ball though :)  She's good!  So long as the guys don't see my ugly face around her, she usually comes through.  :) Have fun in Anaheim :)

Surely you flew to the Boston area for many other reasons such as being on the coast, going to Maine and eating lobsters and clams, seeing the tourist sights, and seeing family. Can't believe that anyone would make a cross-country trip to watch a ballgame.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Surely you flew to the Boston area for many other reasons such as being on the coast, going to Maine and eating lobsters and clams, seeing the tourist sights, and seeing family. Can't believe that anyone would make a cross-country trip to watch a ballgame.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have, & I do.  BUT!  You are correct.  I went back primarily to spend a few weeks with the family on the Cape.  Do a little bit of traveling, & make a few runs into Boston for a game & hang back in the city.  Still, I certainly didn't need to go in for a game.  Of course, being the 100th year, I really had not choice.  I'll go into Boston again soon, but no more games until changes are made!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Actually, I have, & I do.  BUT!  You are correct.  I went back primarily to spend a few weeks with the family on the Cape.  Do a little bit of traveling, & make a few runs into Boston for a game & hang back in the city.  Still, I certainly didn't need to go in for a game.  Of course, being the 100th year, I really had not choice.  I'll go into Boston again soon, but no more games until changes are made!

Thanks for being leveling with us.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : Thanks for being leveling with us.  
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Always happy to "be leveling!"  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Not even Buch can save bobby's job!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : OOOOOh!  Nice analogy!   That would be a great one, if it made sense.  :) Perhaps it was the alternator that needs replacing.  When constructing metaphors, it is always important to ask one's self, "does this make any f'n sense?  Is this fitting?" It lets the reader know you understand what you're writing about.  :)

The analogy still works.  If the car doesn't start because the alternator is shot, and all you did was to empty the ashtray, the car still wouldn't start.  But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't empty the ashtray.  And that's what most of the BV critics are saying.  Whether you fix the alternator or don't fix the alternator, why not empty the ashtray if it needs emptying?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Henry & LL Take Sides: Bobby V. Stays! Fans Can TAKE A HIKE! : The analogy still works.  If the car doesn't start because the alternator is shot, and all you did was to empty the ashtray, the car still wouldn't start.  But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't empty the ashtray.  And that's what most of the BV critics are saying.  Whether you fix the alternator or don't fix the alternator, why not empty the ashtray if it needs emptying?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Now you're mixing Pike's metaphor.  Pike was confused.  To liken the manager to an ashtray simply doesn't work on the car is a baseball team metaphor.  A manager would be the equivalent of an alternator.  An integral part of the machinery to the proper running of the car / team.  Therefore, emptying the ashtray / ? makes absolutely no sense!

My basic point was to show that Pike is a fool.  That's all.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts