Henry Owens, Blake Swihart rank 9th ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Henry Owens, Blake Swihart rank 9th ...

... among lefthanded pitching prospects and catching prospects, respectively, according to Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130122&content_id=41085998&c_id

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41111110&c_id

I am somewhat surprised that Matt Barnes did not rank among the Top 10 righthanded pitching prospects:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130119&content_id=41037368&c_id

MLB.com will release Top 10 prospects lists for other positions in the upcoming days. I would expect Xander Bogaerts to be near the top of the shortstop rankings on Thursday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Henry Owens, Blake Swihart rank 9th ...

Thanks, hill. You must be pumped about all the top pitching prospects on the M's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Hillman,

I am hearing from friends that they think Paxton has more upside than Hultzen. Also feel Owens is ranked too high at this time (SSS)

Same with Swihart....weak catchers group in general...but Swihart has a very SSS.... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Thanks, hill. You must be pumped about all the top pitching prospects on the M's.

Seattle has the second-ranked prospect on each of the three MLB.com position lists released to date (righthanded pitcher, lefthanded pitcher and catcher) plus the fifth-ranked lefthander.

However, prospects can be unpreditable ... the Mariner roster is filled with former ranked prospects in Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Felix Hernandez, Michael Saunders, Franklin Gutierrez, Carlos Triunfel and Jason Bay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I am somewhat surprised that Matt Barnes did not rank among the Top 10 righthanded pitching prospects:

I would rank Barnes 12th among righties, ahead of Syndergaard, but behind the other 9, plus Trevor Rosenthal and Kevin Gausman. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Also feel Owens is ranked too high at this time (SSS)

Same with Swihart....weak catchers group in general...but Swihart has a very SSS.... 

[QUOTE]

I agree with you on Owens. Way too high. On the other hand, catching is very weak and I actually have Swihart higher then they do. I put Swihart 5th, just behind their top 4. Swihart and the others below him however would still not be top 100 prospects. Like we said, weak crop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Seattle has the second-ranked prospect on each of the three MLB.com position lists released to date (righthanded pitcher, lefthanded pitcher and catcher) plus the fifth-ranked lefthander.

However, prospects can be unpreditable ... the Mariner roster is filled for former ranked prospects in Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Felix Hernandez, Michael Saunders, Franklin Gutierrez, Carlos Triunfel and Jason Bay.

Better to have higher ranked prospects than not. I think you have some keepers there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Swihart is better than he looks according to the numbers. The guy is an excellent athlete. Owens is just extremely toolsy. He is a potential #1 or 2. He has the stuff to be a top flight starter but he has to put it all together. I'd still take Barnes over him but this shows how highly his tools are regarded.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Swihart is better than he looks according to the numbers. The guy is an excellent athlete. Owens is just extremely toolsy. He is a potential #1 or 2. He has the stuff to be a top flight starter but he has to put it all together. I'd still take Barnes over him but this shows how highly his tools are regarded.

I have often held the view that Sox fans and myself included have over-rated the Sox farm, but I actually think our fram is better than national services are rating us. Some of our recent deep draftees have not kicked in yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Over the next couple years I would almost expect to see a good amount of Sox names in the top 100.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts came in fourth in the shortstop prospect rankings released Thursday by Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41116172&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts came in fifth in the shortstop prospect rankings released Thursday by Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130123&content_id=41116172&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

actually, 4th Hill

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder where Iggy, Marrero, Lin and Vinicio would place in the top 100 SS prospects.

(Iggy was 3rd in 2011)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

actually, 4th Hill

Oops ... thanks for the correction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

actually, 4th Hill

Oops ... thanks for the correction.

:)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree with you on Owens. Way too high. On the other hand, catching is very weak and I actually have Swihart higher then they do. I put Swihart 5th, just behind their top 4. Swihart and the others below him however would still not be top 100 prospects. Like we said, weak crop.

I think the ranking is accurate.  There are certainly things to like about Swihart: switch hitter, fluid mechanics at the plate, fluid mechanics behind the plate, athletic.  There are; however, flaws: strength, size (unless he bulks up, he will have trouble making zippy throws, and will not hit for power).

One thing that helps Swihart from a ranking prespective is the fact that many former top catching prospects have either been moved off the position (e.g. Wil Myers) or have lost prospect eligibility (Lucroy / Rosario).

Side note: Rosario is a beast.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think the ranking is accurate.  There are certainly things to like about Swihart: switch hitter, fluid mechanics at the plate, fluid mechanics behind the plate, athletic.  There are; however, flaws: strength, size (unless he bulks up, he will have trouble making zippy throws, and will not hit for power).

One thing that helps Swihart from a ranking prespective is the fact that many former top catching prospects have either been moved off the position (e.g. Wil Myers) or have lost prospect eligibility (Lucroy / Rosario).

Swihart has had excellent success throwing out runners though so far. An excellent release time in particular as I understand it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Owens.  He had a K/9 of 11.5 in A last year!  He's also a 6'7 lefty.  His fastball has great movement, and he hides the ball well.  If he can add a couple of MPH to his fastaball, he has the ceiling of a #2 pitcher.

I would advance him to AA or at least A+ despite the high ERA in A ball.  The potential is certainly there.  I hope he's chubby right now.  People like players to stay lean in the offseason; however, when putting on weight, its very useful to consume a high fat diet.

You can always cut the fat once you've added the muscle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Swihart has had excellent success throwing out runners though so far. An excellent release time in particular as I understand it.

An excellent release time as well as a very quick "standup from crouch".  I am still concerned about his size however.  Catcher is a high impact position and size does help.  My favorite catchers: Tek, Bengie M, Yadi, all have size.  If Swihart can add muscle while maintaining his agility/athleticism/quickness (like Middlebrooks did), I think this will only help him.

Even Buster Posey is 220.  My comment about wanting Owens to eat a high fat diet and come into camp a little chubby extends to Swihart too.  Boegarts too.  I think staying lean is overrated.  People underestimate the benefits of a high fat diet.  An offseason workout should be this (for a developing body): From October - February: consume a high fat diet and lift to add mass.  Ton of protein, lift to put on weight at the gym (few reps, heavy weights).  March/April: cut the fat.  Eat a very low fat diet and focus on tone at the gym (many reps, light weight).

Of course, the most important variable is TIME AT THE GYM!!!!  PUT IN THE WORK KID!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

My comment about wanting Owens to eat a high fat diet and come into camp a little chubby extends to Swihart too.  Boegarts too. 

Even though I agree that both Swihart and Owens need to get bigger and have no problem with your diet suggestions, I see their lack of "bulk" now to be a positive. It means they have power upside. Same with Bogaerts. And since they are all 20, the weight will very likely come.

So yes, Swihart needs to get bigger. But that makes him an even more impressive prospect. Not a negative for rating him.

My biggest concern with Swihart is his lack of patience. Had this problem as an amateur aswell. But all those catchers 5 and down  had numerous questions.

As for Owens, its his command and control I am concerned about. Along with a bit of velocity short coming. He often sits at about 90. Maybe the bulking up will improve the velocity though.  Also, he isn't as young as some might think. Already closing in on 21.  You are correct in saying his deceptiveness is his strength.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's nice to see some of the lower level prospects getting some props. I think we will be seeing many more next winter with the deep mostly high school level players drafted over the last 2 years.

Sections
Shortcuts