Henry Owens - So Far He's Untouchable at Portland

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Henry Owens - So Far He's Untouchable at Portland

Great to see Henry Owens bounced back from his last outing when he walked 7 batters. He had an excellent outing tonight with a 6 inning, 2 hit, 0 run, 1 BB and 6 K effort. 

His ERA is down to 1.09.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Henry Owens - So Far He's Untouchable at Portland

In response to ADG's comment:

Great to see Henry Owens bounced back from his last outing when he walked 7 batters. He had an excellent outing tonight with a 6 inning, 2 hit, 0 run, 1 BB and 6 K effort. 

His ERA is down to 1.09.

As DAD would say........   "SON, lets bring him up" !!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Owens could have the biggest jump on prospect ranking at the end of the season.  I won't be surprised if he's named top 30.  We might have the next "big unit".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Owens could have the biggest jump on prospect ranking at the end of the season.  I won't be surprised if he's named top 30.  We might have the next "big unit".

Can't wait to see him pitching to the next "Carlton Fisk"  !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to seannybboi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Can't wait to see him pitching to the next "Carlton Fisk"  !!!

[/QUOTE]

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I just want you to know that if you expect Lavarway to be the Next Fisk, or even the starting Catcher in Boston.....you're going to be very very very dissapointed.  I don't want to see you dissapointed bill

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've been very happy with Owens success this year, and I don't want to be a donny downer but he might be alittle further away than some here think.

Unless he harnesses his control, he probably isn't anything more than a #5 starter right now.  NOW, he's young and there is every reason to believe that he will polish up his command, but we shouldn't just assume it will come because we've seen time and time and time again Tall Lefty pitchers dominate their way through the minors only to lay eggs when they get to the big leagues because they can't control their stuff. 

But the talent is there, and I would expect a jump in prospect ratings.  He should be a consensus top 50 in baseball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I've been very happy with Owens success this year, and I don't want to be a donny downer but he might be alittle further away than some here think.

Unless he harnesses his control, he probably isn't anything more than a #5 starter right now.  NOW, he's young and there is every reason to believe that he will polish up his command, but we shouldn't just assume it will come because we've seen time and time and time again Tall Lefty pitchers dominate their way through the minors only to lay eggs when they get to the big leagues because they can't control their stuff. 

But the talent is there, and I would expect a jump in prospect ratings.  He should be a consensus top 50 in baseball. 

If Bill thinks he's ready, he's ready!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Dan Butler will be protected before Lavarnway.

Butler, I hope at least gets a call up :

In 80 games

BA---.263

HR---14

RBI-----44

OPS---.833

You can look up Lavarnway---played in 46 PawSox games

BA----.250

HR----3

RBI---23

OPS---.714

Batting .280, in 19 games with the Sox---3 RBI---0 HR---.703 OPS

Obviously Bill if something happened to Salty or Ross--Lava would be there. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Matt Barnes is to be promoted to Pawtucket.  Started the season as the systems top prospect, struggled early on but has really turned it on the last couple months. 

I've always felt Owens and Barnes were kind of tied into each other being both drafted in the first round in 2011.  Barnes being the higher more solid pick and Owens being the higher risk high reward high school arm.  With Mookie Betts picking it up this draft is looking solid

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Have to like what we've seen from Owens this year. During winter I said he was the minor league player I had highest hopes for and has not disappointed. While he still needs more polish, have to love the swing and miss stuff that he has shown to this point. Think potentially a lot higher than a #5 guy, see more of a #2 if he continues on current path [maybe higher?] Next to Boegarts he is the last guy that Ben should consider moving in ANY trade. Have to believe the first 2 names the Marlins would ask for in any trade involving Giancarlo would be Xander and Owens. Also nice to see Barnes finishing strong after a very slow start. The future is bright!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I think Dan Butler will be protected before Lavarnway.

Butler, I hope at least gets a call up :

In 80 games

BA---.263

HR---14

RBI-----44

OPS---.833

You can look up Lavarnway---played in 46 PawSox games

BA----.250

HR----3

RBI---23

OPS---.714

Batting .280, in 19 games with the Sox---3 RBI---0 HR---.703 OPS

Obviously Bill if something happened to Salty or Ross--Lava would be there. 

Mad mac I saw Butler in AA last year and was impressed with his defense.  He threw two runners out stealing and had a hit that evening.  I didn't think he would hit enough to make it to the show but he has done well at AAA.  He might be a Ross type backup and  IMO a better backup than Lavarnway on defensive merit alone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Very good chance he's more than a #5.  I personally feel given his age at least some improvements to his command will come, he also needs to add more stamina.  His late season drop in velocity could potentially be exploited by better hitters, but I'm not too concerned.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yup....good post. He needs A LOT more time down below before  he's ready. Good prospect....but FAR from ready."