Henry Owens - whudya think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Henry Owens - whudya think?

• When Ryan Dempster was pitching i a minor league intrasquad game on Sunday, 20-year-old lefty Henry Owens was on an adjacent field doing what looked like magic tricks with his pitches.

Owens struck out 13 of the 15 batters he faced and was throwing 92-95 miles per hour. Check out what Alex Speier of WEEI wrote about Owens' performance.

Having stood there and watched some of what Owens was doing, everything Alex wrote is true even though it sounds unbelievable. Owens looked like a major league All-Star facing Little Leaguers.

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/?p1=SportsNav_Sox_ExtraBases#sthash.ljZbiaV2.dpuf

Thanks to Pete Abraham for calling my attention to Henry.  Admittedly, I don't follow prospects even 10% of what some of you do.  Heck - 1% ....

So this 2nd reference to Henry Owens in a short time awakens some excitemenmt ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Henry Owens - whudya think?

I don't know much about him. Sox prospects lists him as number 32, he is a lefty and can hit 94.

He is just 20 years old.  It will be interesting to keep an eye on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes a kid to keep your eye on the next couple years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

From what I have heard , he has very good stuff , but some control problems. Like a lot of young lefties. Certainly someone to keep an eye on.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Some at soxprospects have considered him as a potential #1 prospect. His stuff is off the charts good. He has tremendous potential but is a work in progress. His strikeout rate was tremendous last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Impressive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I like the fact that he seems to have a great changeup. If he can find control and stay consistently at 93-94 mph with a great changeup, for a lefty, that can be make him dangerous.

Let's see how he develops.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Some at soxprospects have considered him as a potential #1 prospect. His stuff is off the charts good. He has tremendous potential but is a work in progress. His strikeout rate was tremendous last year.

I remember those guys talking about other blue chip possibilities.  While it may be alittle premature they definitely thought the talent was there for Owens, Gecchini, and Swihart.  Actually the only reason why a guy like Brentz is ahead of them is because of how high up he is in the system and is less likely a bust.  But those guys all of higher ceilings.  

If I had to guess, I would have thought of Swihart as the better of those three, but Owens may prove me wrong.  The thing with prospects is you can project their ceilings based on their pure stuff and tools, but no can predict how they will develop.  The fact that Owens looks so good, and has shown improvements from last season is VERY promising. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He had a nice outing!We can't expect that every time,but it's a great sign.Here's a more detailed article about Owen's day:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/03/25/stranger-than-fiction-jaw-dropping-outing-for-red-sox-prospect-henry-owens/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

The important things to consider regarding Owens are his height and weight. He's 6'7" and barely weighs 200 pounds, and that's up 15 pounds from last year! So he is going to get much stronger over the next couple years and if he can harness his control as his velocity increases his potential grows even more. I was there Monday and the place was still buzzing about how he looked the day before. 

And let's never forget that he throws from the right (he's lefthanded) side to get unlimited chances to show he belongs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Super excited.  6'7". 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I kind of think Nolan Ryan had some talent though Softone. MLB level stuff is at least as important as the rest of those factors. What is exciting about Owens is his stuff. He is a potential #1 if he can pull it all together.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Again, one heck of a draft in 2011. Barnes, JBJ, Owens, Swihart...etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When this kid finally fills out he could be up to the high 90's with his velocity. Lets hope for the Sox sake, and the batters, he doesnt have control issues. Tall power LHP scare me a little. They have the most trouble repeating their delivery. If he can, he has all the makings of a #1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....and people were crying about losing VMart and Beltre as free agents.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Tall high school LH RS drafted out of Calif. Hides ball really well, hitters have a very difficult time picking up the ball. Definately swing and miss stuff. Potential top of the rotation starter, probably not til 2015 though. Have to like the RS farm system, while everyone was impressed w/ how many guys the RS placed on many top 100 prospect lists last yr, good possiblity that there will be even more added this year, with guys like Owens, Swihart, Cecchini, and Buttrey all having a good chance of being added next year. Lets not forget RS have the #7 overall pick in this yrs draft as well. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, as far as last yr was concerned.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

....and people were crying about losing VMart and Beltre as free agents.....

Some still are...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

This guy has been flying under the radar big-time but may turn out to be the best of our current crop of pitching prospects.

Our farm looks more exciting now than it has since about 2005-06 when we had Papelbon, Lester, Pedey, Ellsbury, Buchholz, etc. starting to arrive or on the way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Check him out on YouTube--there are several pieces on him.

Henry Owens YouTube.

Gives you an idea of his mound presence when he was in HS, College  and the pros.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Check him out on YouTube--there are several pieces on him.

Henry Owens YouTube.

Gives you an idea of his mound presence when he was in HS, College  and the pros.

I don't think he went to college.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

2013 important year for Owen to step up the ladder. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Competitive professional  (scholarships or compensation") athletics isn't about talent. Most of the players have plenty of talent. And it's not about doing extraordinary athletic feats. It's about making ordinary players at any time during the competition. Only the best have the state of mind and poise to do it.

Pitching performance requires all of the following three during any moment in the competition:

Control of ball location

Control of ball speed

Control of ball flight

If any one of those three is lacking at any moment in the competition, all the talent in the world is worth nothing more than exhibition stories.

Kurt Warner wasn't drafted, becuase there were more talented passers.

Nolan Ryan was a 12th round draft pick.

The question will be whether Owens can become proficient at all 3 facets of pitching at any moment in MLB competition. Poise can't be taught.

WHO   ????????   Maybe we should "RUSH HIM TO  M L B"  !!!!

i'm sure you will be making that ridiculous claim by next season..

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts