Henry Owens - whudya think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Henry Owens - whudya think?

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Check him out on YouTube--there are several pieces on him.

Henry Owens YouTube.

Gives you an idea of his mound presence when he was in HS, College  and the pros.

I don't think he went to college.

Carnie, thanks for picking up on my incorrect statement--Henry Owens did not go to college.

He was someone I was watching on the Sox minor league site fairly regularly. He seems like a prospect-he got peoples attention with his recent outing, that's for sure.

It appears the Sox starting pitching drought may be over: Webster, RDLR, Barnes, Ranaudo, Workman, Owens, Wright, Johnson and Britton. We can always use more...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Tall high school LH RS drafted out of Calif. Hides ball really well, hitters have a very difficult time picking up the ball. Definately swing and miss stuff. Potential top of the rotation starter, probably not til 2015 though. Have to like the RS farm system, while everyone was impressed w/ how many guys the RS placed on many top 100 prospect lists last yr, good possiblity that there will be even more added this year, with guys like Owens, Swihart, Cecchini, and Buttrey all having a good chance of being added next year. Lets not forget RS have the #7 overall pick in this yrs draft as well. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, as far as last yr was concerned.

And this was the main reason why BC didn't go out and over pay for a guy like Sanchez when we have a few potential starters coming through the system the next few years...Webster/RDLR/Barnes/Workman/Owens/Ranaudo/Johnson/Light/Buttrey/Britton/Ramirez/Callahan...Now, of course they all wont do well. But I would be willing to bet that enough of them will to fill the rotation with what we have already...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Tall high school LH RS drafted out of Calif. Hides ball really well, hitters have a very difficult time picking up the ball. Definately swing and miss stuff. Potential top of the rotation starter, probably not til 2015 though. Have to like the RS farm system, while everyone was impressed w/ how many guys the RS placed on many top 100 prospect lists last yr, good possiblity that there will be even more added this year, with guys like Owens, Swihart, Cecchini, and Buttrey all having a good chance of being added next year. Lets not forget RS have the #7 overall pick in this yrs draft as well. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, as far as last yr was concerned.

And this was the main reason the BC didn't go out and over pay for a guy like Sanchez when we have a few potential starters coming through the system the next few years...Webster/RDLR/Barnes/Workman/Owens/Ranaudo/Johnson/Light/Buttrey/Britton...Now, of course they all wont do well. But I would be willing to bet that enough of them will to fill the rotation with what we have already...

exactly. some might call what BC did this offseason "playing it halfway" but when these 1-3 yer deals run out we will have a fantastic picture of our farm system. who are studs and who are busts. then we can use that dumptruck load of cash coming off the books to bolster THAT team and be serious ring contenders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

And this was the main reason the BC didn't go out and over pay for a guy like Sanchez when we have a few potential starters coming through the system the next few years...Webster/RDLR/Barnes/Workman/Owens/Ranaudo/Johnson/Light/Buttrey/Britton...Now, of course they all wont do well. But I would be willing to bet that enough of them will to fill the rotation with what we have already...

exactly. some might call what BC did this offseason "playing it halfway" but when these 1-3 yer deals run out we will have a fantastic picture of our farm system. who are studs and who are busts. then we can use that dumptruck load of cash coming off the books to bolster THAT team and be serious ring contenders.

Sometimes not making a move IS preparing for the future. Ive added a couple more names to my list of pitchers who could be making some noise within the next 3-4 years.

Im still hoping that they pick a legit power bat with the #7 pick. They are always all gone by the time the Sox usually pick, so I think they should jump on one if one is available. Hint: Kris Bryant

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Is anyone besides me wondering what the hell ballflight control is?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I guess Im just getting used to it to where its almost expected...Its a new language called softeneese

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Sometimes not making a move IS preparing for the future. Ive added a couple more names to my list of pitchers who could be making some noise within the next 3-4 years.

Im still hoping that they pick a legit power bat with the #7 pick. They are always all gone by the time the Sox usually pick, so I think they should jump on one if one is available. Hint: Kris Bryant

Heard Bryants name mentioned. I just hope they get someone who makes an impact, RS won't have many oportunities to draft this high have to make it count. Count me as one who supported Ben's moves this offseason given what wasn't available on FA mkt. 1-3 yr deals for high character guys who will help team this year and give RS prospects time to develope. Heard too many people wanting RS to make play for the A.Sanchez/J.Hamilton/Greinke type of signings, just think thats what got us where we are in the first place. I enjoyed it in mid 2000's when the Lesters/Pedroia/Paps/Ellsbury/Youk/Delcarmen/Murphy/etc... were all making there way to MLB, hopefully we're about to enjoy another period like that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I'd like to point out to that 111SoxFan111 has long advocated ball flight path control as well as pitch location strike zone control.  As outlined supra these requirements are manifest and arguments to the contrary are specious and lack word selection zone control.  Owens is not a value fit profile for ....

I picture Softy as the Bob Uecker character from Major league except he has delusions of grandeur and is trying to learn English with nothing but a word a day calendar and a thesaurus.  Jack Daniels optional.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Good question.. But, I can assure you that John Daly's ball flight was a heck of a lot longer than Wood's.  And, Daly's only enhancement was beer..LOL

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Movement, or ball flight, like Softlaw likes to call it, is a very interesting phenomena.  I know that a sinker will sink more when not overthrown.  Actually, many sinker ball pitchers prefer a slightly tired arm to be most effective.

On the other hand, some pitchers have tremendous movement and high velocity, whereas others with high velocity are as straight as an arrow.

Why do some pitchers have more movement than others? 

When I was pitching, a lot of catchers told me I threw a 'heavy' ball.  Why?  I have no idea.

It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done about this. 

With the knowledge of so many great posters out there, I'm sure someone has read something about it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Good one, Amp! LOL!

Back when I was a stud, I was considered a long ball hitter.  Well, I put my tail between my legs when I  saw Daly in Portland at the Fred Meyer tournament.. it was unbelievable!!  His ball took off from the driver at about a 45 degree angle and just went out of sight. I always knew he hit a long ball, but to actually see it was incredible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Movement, or ball flight, like Softlaw likes to call it, is a very interesting phenomena.  I know that a sinker will sink more when not overthrown.  Actually, many sinker ball pitchers prefer a slightly tired arm to be most effective.

On the other hand, some pitchers have tremendous movement and high velocity, whereas others with high velocity are as straight as an arrow.

When I was pitching, a lot of catchers told me I threw a 'heavy' ball.  Why?  I have no idea.

With the knowledge of so many great posters out there, I'm sure someone has read something about it.

The spin or rotation on the baseball must create a Bernouli effect which causes a vacuum to form on one side of the ball and the ball will tend to go towards that vacuum  which is the path of least resistance.  Hockey pucks and soccer balls can also change direction due to the same factors.

Interesting idea.

I'm not a physicist by a longshot, but doesn't the Bernoulli effect involve fluid?  I might be totally wrong here...I haven't a clue.

It still is interesting why some pitchers have more movemet than others.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The spin or rotation on the baseball must create a Bernouli effect which causes a vacuum to form on one side of the ball and the ball will tend to go towards that vacuum  which is the path of least resistance.  Hockey pucks and soccer balls can also change direction due to the same factors.

Interesting idea.

I'm not a physicist by a longshot, but doesn't the Bernoulli effect involve fluid?  I might be totally wrong here...I haven't a clue.

Amp, you pharmacy expert you! Air has a viscosity also and Bernoulli effect and coanda effect are both factors. See our "Aerodynamics of a Boomerang" section here:

http://www.boomerangs.com/aerodynamics.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Interesting idea.

Air is a fluid from a dynamical standpoint.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thanks for the education!!  Carnie, Boom, you guys are just too smart for me!

Union Falls, trust me when I tell you that I know the dynamics of a curve ball etc.  It's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about NATURAL movement of a pitch...

Earlier, I asked why some pitchers with velocity or not, may or may not have 'movement' on their pitches.

Have you had the opportunity to experience this? If not, it really does exist.  Again, I'm NOT talking curves, sliders or other intentional breaking pitches.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Interesting idea.

Amp, you pharmacy expert you! Air has a viscosity also and Bernoulli effect and coanda effect are both factors. See our "Aerodynamics of a Boomerang" section here:

http://www.boomerangs.com/aerodynamics.html

Boomer, I finally officially retired.  I'm trying my best to forget everything!!

Acutally, my biggest problem now is to know what day of the week it is!!...all the days are the same.  Next on the unimportant list are clocks....they just don't matter anymore...LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

although ball flight is a golf term, I understand what the use of the name represents here.

Heres a link to a PDF download tht is a pretty good read on the subject

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CHoQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.87.1553%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&ei=YfdTUaCELYTj4AO9xQE&usg=AFQjCNF9G7MMKcOQYRnzO9e67OQshrObgw

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Thanks for the education!!  Carnie, Boom, you guys are just too smart for me!

Union Falls, trust me when I tell you that I know the dynamics of a curve ball etc.  It's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about NATURAL movement of a pitch...

Earlier, I asked why some pitchers with velocity or not, may or may not have 'movement' on their pitches.

Have you had the opportunity to experience this? If not, it really does exist.  Again, I'm NOT talking curves, sliders or other intentional breaking pitches.

Bill Lee actually had a pretty interesting theory that a lefthander's pitch had more movement because it was spining the wrong way. :-)

Sections
Shortcuts