Henry Owens - whudya think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Henry Owens - whudya think?

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

Thanks for the education!!  Carnie, Boom, you guys are just too smart for me!

Union Falls, trust me when I tell you that I know the dynamics of a curve ball etc.  It's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about NATURAL movement of a pitch...

Earlier, I asked why some pitchers with velocity or not, may or may not have 'movement' on their pitches.

Have you had the opportunity to experience this? If not, it really does exist.  Again, I'm NOT talking curves, sliders or other intentional breaking pitches.

Bill Lee actually had a pretty interesting theory that a lefthander's pitch had more movement because it was spining the wrong way. :-)

i never got all the myths on lefties in baseball... for example, that left handed hitters cant hit LHP better than right handed hitters can hit RHP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Union Falls, trust me when I tell you that I know the dynamics of a curve ball etc.  It's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about NATURAL movement of a pitch...

Earlier, I asked why some pitchers with velocity or not, may or may not have 'movement' on their pitches.

Have you had the opportunity to experience this? If not, it really does exist.  Again, I'm NOT talking curves, sliders or other intentional breaking pitches.

Bill Lee actually had a pretty interesting theory that a lefthander's pitch had more movement because it was spining the wrong way. :-)

i never got all the myths on lefties in baseball... for example, that left handed hitters cant hit LHP better than right handed hitters can hit RHP.

Well I can understand it in that RH hitters see RH pitchers a lot more than LH hitters see LH pitchers. Son in that regard, it makes sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yes I think it's just a function of seeing pitches.  Which speaks volumes on the idea of development, a lot of it is seeing pitches.  The more you see the more likely you are to be able to make adjustments. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Hey,  I'm lefty, now I know the answer to my 'heavy' ball...LOL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Me too, and my coaches always said I had no more idea where my throws would wind up than they did. I could throw hard though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Me too, and my coaches always said I had no more idea where my throws would wind up than they did. I could throw hard though.

that makes 3 of us :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Movement, or ball flight, like Softlaw likes to call it, is a very interesting phenomena.  I know that a sinker will sink more when not overthrown.  Actually, many sinker ball pitchers prefer a slightly tired arm to be most effective.

On the other hand, some pitchers have tremendous movement and high velocity, whereas others with high velocity are as straight as an arrow.

Why do some pitchers have more movement than others? 

When I was pitching, a lot of catchers told me I threw a 'heavy' ball.  Why?  I have no idea.

It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done about this. 

With the knowledge of so many great posters out there, I'm sure someone has read something about it.

Amp, Having caught for a few years and my dad being a pitcher, I felt I learned a little about this. My dad threw a palm ball, it was very heavy and had very late break. i believe the reason was that it was thrown so hard that the break was late. It was difficult to pick up the rotation of the ball. I believe when it started to break it actually picked up speed and made the ball feel very heavy when caught or when hit by a bat. It is easy to get fooled by the tight, slow rotation that actually hides the speed of the pitch. Unlike a guy who throws darts at 100 you can sense the speed as there is less rotation on the ball. A guy who creates high spin, has to throw the ball slower to be able to get that type of action on the ball. The spin at slower speeds is easier to pick up, but possibly harder to hit as it breaks harder and is actually slower than it appears. the spin makes it look faster.

Wow I confused my self!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Movement, or ball flight, like Softlaw likes to call it, is a very interesting phenomena.  I know that a sinker will sink more when not overthrown.  Actually, many sinker ball pitchers prefer a slightly tired arm to be most effective.

On the other hand, some pitchers have tremendous movement and high velocity, whereas others with high velocity are as straight as an arrow.

Why do some pitchers have more movement than others? 

When I was pitching, a lot of catchers told me I threw a 'heavy' ball.  Why?  I have no idea.

It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done about this. 

With the knowledge of so many great posters out there, I'm sure someone has read something about it.

Amp, Having caught for a few years and my dad being a pitcher, I felt I learned a little about this. My dad threw a palm ball, it was very heavy and had very late break. i believe the reason was that it was thrown so hard that the break was late. It was difficult to pick up the rotation of the ball. I believe when it started to break it actually picked up speed and made the ball feel very heavy when caught or when hit by a bat. It is easy to get fooled by the tight, slow rotation that actually hides the speed of the pitch. Unlike a guy who throws darts at 100 you can sense the speed as there is less rotation on the ball. A guy who creates high spin, has to throw the ball slower to be able to get that type of action on the ball. The spin at slower speeds is easier to pick up, but possibly harder to hit as it breaks harder and is actually slower than it appears. the spin makes it look faster.

Wow I confused my self!

Thanks for the info..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lee was absolutely brilliant. Don't we all miss that guy! FUNNY!

Sections
Shortcuts