Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til...

I didn't look at it closely but what would happen if the Rays and Redsox had the same exact record. A one game playoff like before ( in Redsox history, 1967 )? Would it be head to head tie breakers ( I vaguely remember yes )?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til...

In Response to Re: Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til...:
    I didn't look at it closely but what would happen if the Rays and Redsox had the same exact record. A one game playoff like before ( in Redsox history, 1967 )? Would it be head to head tie breakers ( I vaguely remember yes )?
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

They'd have a 1 game playoff...since the advent of the WC the head to head record only counts as a tie breaker, when both teams have qualified for the post season. In 2005 we tied the Yanks but they were awarded the division based on winning the season series and the Sox were the WC team....

Not sure what you're refering too in 67?..The last time we had a 1 game playoff was 78 with the Yanks...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If Tampa somehow sweeps the Yankees today, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. It would make the Yankees games this weekend meaningful for them, and the Red Sox are starting Wakefield and Lackey, which is quite hilarious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til...:
    We stand the same going into the final 7 games. Good thread Bean . Unfortunately, logic does little to placate the board panics.
    Posted by harness

Hey harness,

I try to stay out of panic mode, although last nights loss stung a bit...Dispite all of the doom we still have the lead in the race. don't look now but the Angels have also closed to within 3 games after last night.

Todays matchups:

Angels vs Toronto
    Haren vs McGowen

Sox vs O's
    Beckett v Hunter

The Rays v Yanks
    Game 1: Shields vs Hughes
    Game 2:  Hellickson vs Sabathia

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If Tampa somehow sweeps the Yankees today, you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. It would make the Yankees games this weekend meaningful for them, and the Red Sox are starting Wakefield and Lackey, which is quite hilarious.
    Posted by ADG

If we win and tampa sweeps we still maintain our 1 game lead in the loss column...

FYI every game is meaniful in the AL east....Once the Yanks clinch the division, they then start looking at setting up the rotation for the post season...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

This can be simplified. Despite losing last night (the 5-7) game, the Red Sox chances of getting to the playoffs improved,  by 1.3%, to 87.1%.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til... : Great data bean, I still believe the Sox will get in.  This team really does remind me of 07 when we struggled much like we are now, got to the playoffs, barely beat the Indians then brought in the kid to replace Coco. We all know what happened after that
    Posted by craze4sox

Not impossible, of course, but given the current state of affairs, these posts get nuttier and nuttier.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Great data, but incomplete - what if the Sox go 4-4 but drop 3 to the Yankees, and the Rays go 8-2?
    Posted by slomag

I find it ironic, that given your prediction for Yankee collapse on Aug 10 was actually the date when the RS started going south. Now I figure the Phillies  shall win the WS; in that eventuality, I'm sure there will be those that shall trump the results this season meant nothing. If the Yankees somehow get to the WS, it would be their 41st pennant, which is nothing to sneeze at and always a source of pride for Yankee fans, as long as I can remember.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Best.Team.Evah. Show Best.Team.Evah's posts

Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Another extremely knowledgeable RS fan who has never heard of google.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Here's a little math with AL East Playoff permutations...It's ain't over til... : I find it ironic, that given your prediction for Yankee collapse on Aug 10 was actually the date when the RS started going south. Now I figure the Phillies  shall win the WS; in that eventuality, I'm sure there will be those that shall trump the results this season meant nothing. If the Yankees somehow get to the WS, it would be their 41st pennant, which is nothing to sneeze at and always a source of pride for Yankee fans, as long as I can remember.
    Posted by nhsteven

Hey NH,

Given what's at stake, for the first time in my life I'm pulling for the Yanks (it feels weird)...

As for the WS I wouldn't be so quick to hand the trophy to the Philly's but they are clearly the odds on favorites in the NL...I still don't think anyone in the AL is the clear favorite...So with that I think the Yanks have as good a chance as any to advance.

In comes down too who plays best that day more often then the other team. With the first team to 11....wins....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

TX may have the best chance in a Philly match-up.

I never saw the Angels as a real threat to TX, but they are right there with the Rays.

As I see it, if Angels/Rays get in, it's because Boston didn't. RedSox PO fate is in their own hands. It's theirs to win or lose.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

wow look at little cutsie pike talking baseball. never ceases to amaze. 2 different threads where he is engaging and being friendly to all. creepy and surprising.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As Ironic as it may be the best thing for this team might be the series coming up against the yankees. This team is flat....they need some type of motivation.....and the crowd in the bronx is going to be crucifying them.....the Yankees will be on cruise control having clinched the division and with best record almost also assured. So far this year the Yankees have brought out the best in this team. A win on Friday and everything would look alot brighter.....despite it all...I still have hope.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

As Ironic as it may be the best thing for this team might be the series coming up against the yankees.

I agree. Very astute.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

As Ironic as it may be the best thing for this team might be the series coming up against the yankees. I agree. Very astute.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

That would depend on who the RS start. If I was making the call Aceves would be there somewhere and Lacky would even need to pack a uniform for the trip.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

As pitiful as Lackey has been, he has done just marginally enough to be 2-1 v. Yankees. 

Sections
Shortcuts