Here's a trade idea that could actually work

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's a trade idea that could actually work

A few people have been on the board the last few days talking about getting King Felix with totally unrealistic trades, but how about this? Lowrie is knocking the cover off the ball right now, and he could be an above average defensive 3B. So my proposal is this. Youk and some other pieces for the King. I fully expect to see a lynch mob coming for me for even having the audacity to put the idea out there, but I think we have to find a place to play Lowrie. I also think Iglesias is ready to play SS in the bigs. He seems to have found his bat between Arizona, ST and now Pawtucket. So we offer Seattle Youk, Dice, Scut and some minor leaguers. Say Reddick, Kalish and Anderson or something like that. Come on all you armchair GMs, shoot this idea down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: Here's a trade idea that could actually work

Carnie I once wrote a thread proposing a deal to get King Felix and everyone called me a dingbat. I agree with you; fully endorse the trade. We would have a starting rotation of Lester/Buchholz/ King Felix all in their prime and our no.4 would be Beckett. WOW!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

You have to give up something to get something. Youk is real popular player so fans will hate it. But the idea is are you better with that trade?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Here's a trade idea that could actually work:
    [QUOTE]Carnie I once wrote a thread proposing a deal to get King Felix and everyone called me a dingbat. I agree with you; fully endorse the trade. We would have a starting rotation of Lester/Buchholz/ King Felix all in their prime and our no.4 would be Beckett. WOW!
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]Given today's performance Beckett might slot at number two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

You are reacting like a woman. Lowrie has never put up big numbers v. RHP. In addition, the Mariners won't want to pay a dime for DiceK and Scutaro.

You also don't have a SS, if Lowrie becomes the Red Sox slugging third baseman. Bring up Iglesias, and back him up with ?

You Lowrie swooner take a short LF monster homer and start going into a stead drool. Look at Lowrie's total package and career numbers, including his numbers v. RHP in 2010. Look at him defensively, and look at him if he starts playing everyday and wears down some and other teams finally get the book on him. A lot of players in low stress under the radar roles start looking like Babe Ruth to the pipe dreaming eye.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Realistic?  You have to be kidding. Youk on the downside of his career plus pieces for arguably the best pitcher in the game?

Take the top five prospects in the system.  Let the mariners take their choice of any three.  Then add Pedroia, Buchholz, Ellsbury, and Lowrie and let the Mariners take any two. Now its entirely likely that they won't hang up on you when you call and ask for king Felix.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'd throw in Ells, because I think JC Linares could could play CF at Fenway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to Here's a trade idea that could actually work:
    [QUOTE]A few people have been on the board the last few days talking about getting King Felix with totally unrealistic trades, but how about this? Lowrie is knocking the cover off the ball right now, and he could be an above average defensive 3B. So my proposal is this. Youk and some other pieces for the King. I fully expect to see a lynch mob coming for me for even having the audacity to put the idea out there, but I think we have to find a place to play Lowrie. I also think Iglesias is ready to play SS in the bigs. He seems to have found his bat between Arizona, ST and now Pawtucket. So we offer Seattle Youk, Dice, Scut and some minor leaguers. Say Reddick, Kalish and Anderson or something like that. Come on all you armchair GMs, shoot this idea down.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Seattle will want *prospects*, not high dollar veteran contracts.  And the minor leaguers you cite are not high end prospects.

Other than that, I don't know why Seattle wouldn't jump at that over, say Montero on the Janqueez and a couple of other low dollar, high up side prospects.  Nice to dream though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Carnie, if nothing else, you are entertaining. Not a thing wrong with that, as that's what this place is for. You are out to lunch, though;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Stop with the King Felix stuff, its not going to happen at the very earliest trade deadline. I was one of the people who was getting killed this off season when I suggested that M's would be wise to trade him [could do for M's what Hershel Walker did for Cowboys] rebuild the franchise. Lets face they could get a King's ransom for him, no pun intended. But M's would be wise to wait for deadline to drive up asking price. Just think what Yanks will be willing to offer by then when AJ gets past his good month of April and starts pitching like he did last summer? and maybe Hughes will get his fastball up to 90 mph by then. As RS fan we have our own problems Lackey and Matsuzaka, we need at least one to get it turned around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It would be something more like Ellsbury, Lowrie and our 2 best pitching prospects plus we'd have to take Chone Figgins off their hands.

Do not mess w/ Youk!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk's OPS has increased every single season of his hole MLB career (6 straight yeas).  I wouln't say he is declining...yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Youk's OPS has increased every single season of his hole MLB career (6 straight yeas).  I wouln't say he is declining...yet.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Exactly. Youk is a superstar, but if you want the king...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=5985e72b3752e4749926885db1b45be4&plckUserId=5985e72b3752e4749926885db1b45be4" target="_parent">

accland

Youk is on the downside of his career at 32 !! Glad your not in the front office. At 32 including this year Youk could play well into his 30s, for another 3-5 years. A better way to look at it is, Youk is in his prime years.  

I'm 62, so i guess I must have one foot in the grave by your standards.

Hetchinspete 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Something more realistic would be working out a deal for Jonathan Sanchez....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Trade away Youk?  Wow, we might as well lift the economic embargo on Cuba and then ruin the tourism industry in Florida.

Trading away Youk would be a national disaster. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Trade away Youk?  Wow, we might as well lift the economic embargo on Cuba and then ruin the tourism industry in Florida. Trading away Youk would be a national disaster. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]Well, we have a couple of Cubans in Pawtucket who could help our team real soon...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

H-Pete, not to quibble but 28-32 has long been considered the prime years of a player.  It can and often does extend beyond 32 but the decline after this period is certain. How has Youk's durability been over the past few years?
    To trade a twenty something superstar for a guy at the end of his prime or in the twilight of his career will not sell a lot of tickets in Seattle. Youk is the missing piece for a contender or near contender, but hardly the start for a building team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaycoach. Show jaycoach's posts

H-Pete, not to quibble but 28-32 has long been considered the prime years of a player.  It can and often does extend beyond 32 but the decline after this period is certain. How has Youk's durability been over the past few years? To trade a twenty something superstar for a guy at the end of his prime or in the twilight of his career will not sell a lot of tickets in Seattle. Youk is the missing piece for a contender or near contender, but hardly the start for a building team.
    Posted by accland

Actually, his durability for the last few years has been quite good unless you believe that his thumb injury last year was caused by getting old (somewhat dubious proposition).  Over the four years before that, he averaged about 142 games per season.  Even counting the injury year, the five year average is still 135 games and his OPS has even been increasing!  It may be that Youk will suddenly "get old" and shoot past his prime, but there is no evidence for that yet.  Players today can still be excellent beyond 32 and continue at a high level for several years after that.  Let's not trade Youk too soon.  Remember, even the great pitchers are susceptible to career-ending injuries (arm problems) without warning. (Pedro?)  That is usually not the case for excellent hitters.  Usually their production falls off much more slowly and they retain their value longer.  (Clemens and sterioids notwithstanding)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Carnie, I doubt the Mariners are even considering trading Hernanadez...what they're trying to do is build a squad around him...If they were to trade him it would take more than we'd be willing to offer to get him and frankly we don't have the right chips anyways. "Young impact lefthanded hitters" Seattle Moving forward Needs: a couple of middle of the order impact lefthanded bats. They have two young guys in Smoak and Ackerly that fit that discriptions...This is the year for them to find out what they have in both and if one or both make the jump and are impact hitters, then the Mariners will turn thier attention to building the complimentary pieces to fill out the lineup around them...Youk is 32 and has 3 or 4 preojectable productive years left and would be a great fit in the middle of any lineup...Just not sure the Mariners would gain much if they traded away arguably the best pitcher in the game... Lowrie is a good colpimentary player and woud add value but the Mariners have a couple of top tier SS prospects and Ells is another that has value but they're pretty happy with thier current leadoff hitter and Guiterez is the best defensive center fielder in the game...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]Good to see you back Beantowne. You're probably right, the Mariners are very unlikely to move the king, but if they did the discussion would very likely have to start with someone like Youk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

So we offer Seattle Youk, Dice, Scut and some minor leaguers. Say Reddick, Kalish and Anderson or something like that.

The question is, how does this improve Seattle?  Besides trading their most popular player, he is also one of the best players in BB.

How would you feel if the NYY offer Teixeira, Burnett, Jeter for Lester?  Your offer isn't quite so bad, but Seattle would be paying $27M for those three players.  If they wanted a 3B that badly, they could've signed Beltre for a whole lot less and kept Felix.

If you want Felix, you'd have to offer a lot a really good prospects.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm just saying if you want to talk about bringing in Felix Hernandez, you have to begin the discussion with an established superstar.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Seattle is just waiting to acquire a 32 year old first baseman who is a streaky hitter and is about a year away from being on the hard downside of his career.  A Japanese pitcher making 8.5million a year who can't get anybody out and blow out your bullpen every 5 days and then to top it off a bunch of second tier minor leaguers for one of the best pitchers in baseball.  Pitching being what it is and young pitching being what it is and cheaper young pitching under your control being what it is, and having to then sign that pitcher to an extension, think 7 years at $180 to $200 million, the Red Sox simply put do not have what it would take to acquire King Felix.  This is one Rodeo the Red Sox will have to sit out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I think JoeBreidy is on to something.  Though I woudln't trade Youk.

Lowrie, Dice, and Reddick for King Felix.  Then the M's flip Lowrie to the Rangers for a prospect. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ellsbury, Lowrie, and the Sox 2 best starting pitching propsects would get it done, assuming we had 2 of the top pitching propsects in baseball.  We don't.  So it'd be very hard.  Plus, we'd have to take Chone Figgins off their hands. 

A more realistic trade would be something like Lowrie, Doubrant, and Lars Anderson to the Giants for Jonathan Sanchez.

Sections
Shortcuts