Here's What's Next...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's What's Next...

Other than Papi, we should look to trade all our players who will be Free Agents in 2013 if we can get a worthwhile prospect:

Ross
    Padilla
    Loney
    Cook
    Pods

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Here's What's Next...

Maybe Ben will go bold and trade Ellsbury, Lester and Pedroia for Cueto, Phillips and Billy Hamilton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Only person I see on that list worth anything is Ross, and I heard the Giants want Ross back badly but the Sox want to keep him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the Sox want him back next year and trading him might make him not want to come back.

If you look at his home away splits, you'll see why he would want to return.

Padilla could probably net a promising low minors prospect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Here's What's Next...:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Ben will go bold and trade Ellsbury, Lester and Pedroia for Cueto, Phillips and Billy Hamilton.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Not unless he has is holding Jocketty's cocker spaniel at gunpoint.

If Cherinton is bold, and so far he is, Ellsbury is out the door next.  I would assume at least a mild attempt to sign him would be made, and then send him to either Texas, Atlanta, SF or Washington.

I'm sure they will try and trade Loney.  Good luck with that...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trading Jacoby this winter makes sense, but I suppose he could go waiver wire now. Maybe if we get the team to take Lackey...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : Not unless he has is holding Jocketty's cocker spaniel at gunpoint. If Cherinton is bold, and so far he is, Ellsbury is out the door next.  I would assume at least a mild attempt to sign him would be made, and then send him to either Texas, Atlanta, SF or Washington. I'm sure they will try and trade Loney.  Good luck with that...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    James Loney, who becomes a free agent at the end of the season, would need to clear waivers and be traded before the end of the month to be eligible for the postseason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I think Aviles could get you something decent. Trade him to a team like Arizona who could use a SS with some pop and decent glove.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Trading Jacoby this winter makes sense, but I suppose he could go waiver wire now. Maybe if we get the team to take Lackey...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

brilliant idea after first offering to extend him for a reasonable offer, telling him if he says no hes getting delt to who WE want.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Oh man where will we have any speed or power left on this team? Are we going back to slow-footed players who all hit 15-25 homers a year and pray for the best? That being the same formula this team used through the 70's and 80's.

No thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

With all the talk of the RS farm system...I believe a great deal will depend on how the call ups perform.  Iggy performs...Aviles probably gets shopped.  Etc....I like Cody Ross and think his bat in this line up is a good thing and I think Left is the position he could fill quite easily but does he want to be part of a rebuild?  This team needs to build a pitching staff....without it the rest almost doesn't matter.  This year should be proof of that.  Lot of things for this team to ponder but its nice to have some stability and tons of room to grow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

never1954,

Not only is this year proof that pitching is the key, but there were many, many years in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and somewhat to a lesser extent, the 1980s and 1990s where the same thought was also very true.

Lots of games in those decades were lost with scores similar to last night's 10-9 loss to Kansas City.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe Ben will go bold and trade Ellsbury, Lester and Pedroia for Cueto, Phillips and Billy Hamilton.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

You know I wasn't sure if you were serious about the Cueto talk but you keep repeating yourself.  See if you can follow me along on this one.  Cueto is on the Reds.  He is their best pitcher.  The Reds are going to win the division and have hopes of going deep, if not all the way, through the playoffs.  Why in the world would the Reds trade Cueto for anyone right now including the package you put together? 

I won't even get into the Pedroia for Phillips thing but you may find it interesting to note that Pedey is younger, cheaper, and better.  And in case you haven't noticed but Ellsbury's value is down significantly yet you want to get a team's #1 propsect back in deal where they will lose the guy next year yet have to pay a ton of money in ARB?

But again, the real "genius" is Cueto who is only 25 years old, leads the world in ERA, only makes $6 million a year, and is under team control for THREE more years. 

Meanwhile, your package would cost the Reds about $25 million in incremental salary and of which 2 of those guys don't have much time left on their contracts.  Cueto is currently as untouchable as untouchable can get.

Seriously, it's beyond stupid to suggest such a trade so knock it off if you want to be take seriously. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : You know I wasn't sure if you were serious about the Cueto talk but you keep repeating yourself.  See if you can follow me along on this one.  Cueto is on the Reds.  He is their best pitcher.  The Reds are going to win the division and have hopes of going deep, if not all the way, through the playoffs.  Why in the world would the Reds trade Cueto for anyone right now including the package you put together?  I won't even get into the Pedroia for Phillips thing but you may find it interesting to note that Pedey is younger, cheaper, and better.  And in case you haven't noticed but Ellsbury's value is down significantly yet you want to get a team's #1 propsect back in deal where they will lose the guy next year yet have to pay a ton of money in ARB? But again, the real "genius" is Cueto who is only 25 years old, leads the world in ERA, only makes $6 million a year, and is under team control for THREE more years.  Meanwhile, your package would cost the Reds about $25 million in incremental salary and of which 2 of those guys don't have much time left on their contracts.  Cueto is currently as untouchable as untouchable can get. Seriously, it's beyond stupid to suggest such a trade so knock it off if you want to be take seriously. 
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    ANDREW,

While I fully understand your argument... and I feel the same way many times about trades proposed on this board.....  We need to be sure that we don;t push someone off a ledge when they are just grasping for straws of soemthing that they pray will bring their life back to prominense.
    Many of these trades are proposed by people who have no life other than the Sox and their facebook acct.... YOU want them to accept their SOx going down in a ball of flames without so much as an attempted wimper?  PLEASE realize that these people.... Just want to feel like they can save the Red Sox nation from demise...  Pat them on the proverbial head say "there there" aand let them meander along in their state of shock..... OH and Andrew... many of these propose deals come from people who don'e even realize that the team they desire to pilfer has the same goal as the team of their life... TO WIN!   I used to like the let's give the Mariners 10 hunks of turd.... for King Felix propositions.... I would lokk at many of them and just laugh.... but alas, I understood... people who live in Mommy's basement need to have something to buoy their spirits too...  So please don't push them to hard, Andrew.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : ANDREW, While I fully understand your argument... and I feel the same way many times about trades proposed on this board.....  We need to be sure that we don;t push someone off a ledge when they are just grasping for straws of soemthing that they pray will bring their life back to prominense. Many of these trades are proposed by people who have no life other than the Sox and their facebook acct.... YOU want them to accept their SOx going down in a ball of flames without so much as an attempted wimper?  PLEASE realize that these people.... Just want to feel like they can save the Red Sox nation from demise...  Pat them on the proverbial head say "there there" aand let them meander along in their state of shock..... OH and Andrew... many of these propose deals come from people who don'e even realize that the team they desire to pilfer has the same goal as the team of their life... TO WIN!   I used to like the let's give the Mariners 10 hunks of turd.... for King Felix propositions.... I would lokk at many of them and just laugh.... but alas, I understood... people who live in Mommy's basement need to have something to buoy their spirits too...  So please don't push them to hard, Andrew.
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]

point well taken

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

These trades can easily become addictive. Now , we are hearing suggestions to get rid of virtually everyone. A feeding frenzy of impractical moves.  Just take a deep breath and relax. This deal was all about getting rid of some bad , long term contracts to gain payroll flexibility. That was done.  Ben now needs to take his time and think carefully about how he wants to rebuild this off season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Ells and his Skeletel system made of jello need too go. I'd hate too get stuck paying big money too a player that's going too spend a majority of his career on the DL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I posted this under discussion topic "Justification"....good copy & paste here I think...

Here is the real justification: Even with these departed guys, we were still a subpar under .500 team & not even going to make the wild card. Would Ortiz returning make the difference...don't think so...and he's hurt again. Was the Fairy going to wave her magic wand & change things so we'd suddenly compete in 2013. We had no money to go after anybody to make us better not that what we picked up from LA is the answer either. It just seemed we had no chemistry...no real clutch hitting, pitching and hitting were erratic, pitch well, no runs, hit well, lousy pitching etc. So, a change, drastic yes, but it needed be made & we might even clean house some more. Last night was another example of our team's misfortune...9 runs 20 hits and KC gets 10 runs with 6 fewer hits, 14 ! Sort of story of our season. I say kick the can down the road & build ala Tampa Bay with young, injury free, energetic, enthusiatic non costly prospects.

So, instead of watching MLB stars for a few years, like in football, I enjoy watching college teams/ players. Heck, I've enjoyed watching the Little League World Series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Only person I see on that list worth anything is Ross, and I heard the Giants want Ross back badly but the Sox want to keep him.
    Posted by JohnnyLefty[/QUOTE]

Ross was a great signing for the Red Sox and I would be disppointed if they didn't resign him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Ells and his Skeletel system made of jello need too go. I'd hate too get stuck paying big money too a player that's going too spend a majority of his career on the DL.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I'd try and lock up Ellsbury w/ the same deal Boras got for Drew

5 years/70 million including covering his ARB year (14 million will be much more than he'd get in ARB)

Otherwise, it would be best to see what the market bears and what it would take to keep him and then decide if the price is right or not......but under no circumstances would I go over 100 million on him...none......

You could try and extend Ross for 3/20

Ortiz for 2/35

and some of the relievers in the 2/5 range

all take-it-or leave it deals, I want to know NOW so I can move on w/ my planning - maybe move a couple of guys this week if they refuse your offer....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Where will we get speed from?
    Yes, we lost that speedster, Adrian Gonzalez.
    So, do tell, what speed did the Sox have in 2004?
    Crisp, and later Ellsbury in 2007, but the Sox never play small ball, anyway.
    Bradley is plenty fast, as the heir to Ellsbury.
    Ross needs to be LF and nothing else. He doesn't have the range for RF, as he proved last night.
    I think trades, not free agents are the answer.
    Getting a right handed power hitting RF in important. Theo's love affair with all things left handed, since 2008 hasn't helped at Fenway.
    If the DBacks are serious about trading Upton, that should be explored. Plus, the DBacks have some other parts that may fit in here, like Montiero the catcher.
    Trading Ellsbury is key. Not giving him away, but packaging him wisely with prospects.
    The farm system just got deeper, with the Dodgers' trade.
    A bold move would involve trading Pedroia, who'd bring back the most value.
    From what I've read, DeJesus is ready to be a full time 2nd baseman.
    I'd keep Lester. He can be salvaged.
    Maybe explore trading Lackey for Wells. Wells used to be a pretty good player. He's not ancient. Maybe Fenway would revive him?
    Justin Morneau is 31 years old, and the Twins had him on the block. Could be a cheap salary dump trade for the Twins. He's still got a live bat, after finally recovering from his post concussion syndrome. Good glove, too.
    Re-sign Papi. Bats like his are rare.
    Can anyone tell me why they ever traded Bronson Arroyo for a flop? He loved it here, and is a durable back of the rotation starter. Possible trade target?
    Just some random ideas. This will be a fascinating off season.
    Please stop the King Felix threads. Not happening.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : Ross was a great signing for the Red Sox and I would be disppointed if they didn't resign him. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

There is nearly no one on this roster I would not trade for a good pitching prospect. I really don't care much about hitting right now. We are SECOND in the AL in runs scored; we are ELEVENTH in ERA. And we are in fourth place, out of the playoff hunt, with a losing record. In two of the last three games we scored 13 and 9 runs-and lost. Until the pitching gets fixed we will be going nowhere. Thats the ONLY priority.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

That runs scored stat is the most decieving stat in baseball. The team averages .240 in late and close at bats. The current Sox hitters are frontrunners.
    Pitching IS a priority, but not the only priority. No team wins just on pitching.
    Otherwise, Halliday, Lee and Hamels would be WS winners every year.
    Tampa Bay has great pitching, but a paltry offense is hurting their chances.
    You need balance in all sports. Baseball is no exception.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : There is nearly no one on this roster I would not trade for a good pitching prospect. I really don't care much about hitting right now. We are SECOND in the AL in runs scored; we are ELEVENTH in ERA. And we are in fourth place, out of the playoff hunt, with a losing record. In two of the last three games we scored 13 and 9 runs-and lost. Until the pitching gets fixed we will be going nowhere. Thats the ONLY priority.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Agree about pitching:
    It just seems we have no chemistry or good luck...no real clutch hitting, pitching and hitting were erratic, pitch well, no runs, hit well, lousy pitching etc.  We might even clean house some more.  Last night was another example of our team's misfortune...9 runs 20 hits and KC gets 10 runs with 6 fewer hits, 14 ! Sort of story of our season. I say kick the can down the road & build ala Tampa Bay with young, injury free, energetic, enthusiatic non costly prospects, priority pitchers but hitters too.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts