Here's What's Next...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Here's What's Next...

In Response to Re: Here's What's Next...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : In time my friend.  As has already been said, there's not much out there this off season.  I hope they go slow.  Really do their homework, & go after those second teir guys who might me available.
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Yes and a couple of trageted trades.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade Padilla on waivers if possible. Trade Ross as well. Stockpile prospects.

I'd use the rest of the season to gain knowledge on these players:

C Salty (test his endurance)
    DH/C Lava (see if he can hit and worry about his defense later)
    1B Gomez (can he be in the 2013 mix?)
    2B Pedey  (give Ciriaco a few games here)
    3B Ciriaco (give Aviles some time here to ready him for a '13 utility role.)
    SS Iggy (time to give him a 6 week look)
    LF Nava & Linares (September call-up)
    CF Ellsbury (Find his groove or prove he is still good to maybe trade him.)
    RF Pods & Linares or Kalish

SP Buchholtz (keep the groove)
    SP Lester (find the groove)
    SP Morales (can he be a quality starter?)
    SP Mortensen
    SP Tazawa or Stewart

CL Bailey
    RP Breslow
    RP Aceves
    RP Doubront (he's started enough and needs to limit his IP to 135ish)
    RP Miller
    RP Melancon
    RP Beato/Carpenter/Bard/Wilson

Maybe have a look at Bradley, Bogaerts, Brentz and Travis Shaw.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Great, Bourne for RF!
    Another pop gun left hitter.
    Any more wonderful ideas?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's over .350 in OBP and leads the leagu in SBs.

I'm not a huge Bourn fan, but he might be a lower cost option who can slide to CF when we trade Ells or he walks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Why not trade Ellsbury for pitching, and sign Bourn? Sounds like they have the same skill set, except for power. Didn't the Sox already try that with Carl Crawford? You don't need two speed guys in Fenway Park. They don't play small ball.
    Isn't Bourn a Boras client?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Why not trade Ellsbury for pitching, and sign Bourn? Sounds like they have the same skill set, except for power. Didn't the Sox already try that with Carl Crawford? You don't need two speed guys in Fenway Park. They don't play small ball. Isn't Bourn a Boras client?
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]Good idea. I think the Reds want Ellsbury.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They rid themselves of 2 underperforming prima-donnas and one guy, although a solid hitter, just never seemed to fit here. Most thought, including him(trotter), they would have to eat about a combined 50-60mm to rid themselves of CC and beckett. They do it for 12mm AND get back 2 solid pitching prospects, 2 might happen position players and a filler 1b for the remainder of 2012, and he calls it chapter 11...Lol...Thats rich...
    Maybe you should know what chapter 11 is before you accuse a BILLIONAIRE of it after writing a check for only 12mm...here ya go champ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_11,_Title_11,_United_States_Code

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Padilla on waivers if possible. Trade Ross as well. Stockpile prospects. I'd use the rest of the season to gain knowledge on these players: C Salty (test his endurance) DH/C Lava (see if he can hit and worry about his defense later) 1B Gomez (can he be in the 2013 mix?) 2B Pedey  (give Ciriaco a few games here) 3B Ciriaco (give Aviles some time here to ready him for a '13 utility role.) SS Iggy (time to give him a 6 week look) LF Nava & Linares (September call-up) CF Ellsbury (Find his groove or prove he is still good to maybe trade him.) RF Pods & Linares or Kalish SP Buchholtz (keep the groove) SP Lester (find the groove) SP Morales (can he be a quality starter?) SP Mortensen SP Tazawa or Stewart CL Bailey RP Breslow RP Aceves RP Doubront (he's started enough and needs to limit his IP to 135ish) RP Miller RP Melancon RP Beato/Carpenter/Bard/Wilson Maybe have a look at Bradley, Bogaerts, Brentz and Travis Shaw.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

absolutely on all of the above. ells, can an offer work or trade him to get max we can form him. we dont need him next year if he wont stay. move to the future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : Slom, know when to hold an argument & when to fold.  You're way out there on this.  The only point you are close to having is that losing A-Gon hurts!!!  On that you are correct.  The rest of your argument simply doesn't wash!!!  We would still have Craw & Beckett taking up critical spots! No offense.  I respect your opinions!  You're just too far afield!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

The only thing I feel hurt about losing A-Gone, is the prospects we gave-up when we traded for him. Come guys, our rookie 3rd Baseman out HR'd him (technically)!!! Where was the power the other way we were guaranteed he'd have? AND I gave him a free pass last year on that subject. "A swing built for Fenway" my as$.

I'm happy about this Atom-bomb trade.

He was a theory proved wrong and I'm glad he's gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Padilla on waivers if possible. Trade Ross as well. Stockpile prospects. I'd use the rest of the season to gain knowledge on these players: C Salty (test his endurance) DH/C Lava (see if he can hit and worry about his defense later) 1B Gomez (can he be in the 2013 mix?) 2B Pedey  (give Ciriaco a few games here) 3B Ciriaco (give Aviles some time here to ready him for a '13 utility role.) SS Iggy (time to give him a 6 week look) LF Nava & Linares (September call-up) CF Ellsbury (Find his groove or prove he is still good to maybe trade him.) RF Pods & Linares or Kalish SP Buchholtz (keep the groove) SP Lester (find the groove) SP Morales (can he be a quality starter?) SP Mortensen SP Tazawa or Stewart CL Bailey RP Breslow RP Aceves RP Doubront (he's started enough and needs to limit his IP to 135ish) RP Miller RP Melancon RP Beato/Carpenter/Bard/Wilson Maybe have a look at Bradley, Bogaerts, Brentz and Travis Shaw.

Only good thing about the record setting DL roster this year, is that we've already had a head-start on gaining such knowledge. But I do agree.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only thing I feel hurt about losing A-Gone, is the prospects we gave-up when we traded for him. Come guys, our rookie 3rd Baseman out HR'd him (technically)!!! Where was the power the other way we were guaranteed he'd have? AND I gave him a free pass last year on that subject. "A swing built for Fenway" my as$.

I'm happy about this Atom-bomb trade.

He was a theory proved wrong and I'm glad he's gone.

I'd love to have Rizzo now, but then we'd still have CC & Josh as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : The only thing I feel hurt about losing A-Gone, is the prospects we gave-up when we traded for him. Come guys, our rookie 3rd Baseman out HR'd him (technically)!!! Where was the power the other way we were guaranteed he'd have? AND I gave him a free pass last year on that subject. "A swing built for Fenway" my as$. I'm happy about this Atom-bomb trade. He was a theory proved wrong and I'm glad he's gone.
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.  Kinda stinks to have given up Kelly and Rizzo (who could be playign 1B now) but then again there are likely dozens of scenarios of how things could of played out if we didn't make that trade.

In then end you have to give something to get something.  And if you value the payroll flexibility the Sox got from this trade + plus the prospects then it was well worth it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]The only thing I feel hurt about losing A-Gone, is the prospects we gave-up when we traded for him. Come guys, our rookie 3rd Baseman out HR'd him (technically)!!! Where was the power the other way we were guaranteed he'd have? AND I gave him a free pass last year on that subject. "A swing built for Fenway" my as$. I'm happy about this Atom-bomb trade. He was a theory proved wrong and I'm glad he's gone. I'd love to have Rizzo now, but then we'd still have CC & Josh as well.

I don't have any delusions about Loney being the next Lowell, but he is only 28. Things happen as often as other things don't.  

As far as this year goes... Can Bobby trade places with Terry one more time just to see what happens? LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : I was thinking the same thing.  Kinda stinks to have given up Kelly and Rizzo (who could be playign 1B now) but then again there are likely dozens of scenarios of how things could of played out if we didn't make that trade. In then end you have to give something to get something.  And if you value the payroll flexibility the Sox got from this trade + plus the prospects then it was well worth it. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : I was thinking the same thing.  Kinda stinks to have given up Kelly and Rizzo (who could be playign 1B now) but then again there are likely dozens of scenarios of how things could of played out if we didn't make that trade. In then end you have to give something to get something.  And if you value the payroll flexibility the Sox got from this trade + plus the prospects then it was well worth it. 

I don't want to trash the guy either. He's a great hitter. But his #'s are equivalent to the #'s I want out of my 3rd baseman. That's all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... :  Kinda stinks to have given up Kelly and Rizzo (who could be playign 1B now) but then again there are likely dozens of scenarios of how things could of played out if we didn't make that trade. Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Not to mention trading Youk. Makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Whatever. We're starting to go in the right direction again. Lessons learned. I hope. I don't even care about the post-season. I just want to be able to LIKE this team again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : I just don't understand the cheering for dollars, Tom.  I love our prospects too, but if you're going to trade AGon, do it straight up - we could have had half the LA farm system, held on to two bad contracts (one that expires in 2014) and still had $60M to spend on improvements.  That's not what I wanted, but I'd rather have a bunch of new prospects to be excited about than a bunch of new dollars to spend on talent that doesn't exist.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Let's put it in terms that people who aren't armchair GMs understand....NOT MY MONEY. TRADED BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER ON TEAM. TEAM ATMOSPHERE STILL TOXIC. BV STILL MANAGER. BC STILL GM. FRONT OFFICE STILL GETTING ACCOLADES FOR BLOWING UP CURRENT TEAM WITH BLOCKBUSTER TO GET OUT OF BAD CONTRACTS THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN THE FIRST PLACE. AND THIS IS FROM AN ARMCHAIR GM     ON SIGNING DAY OF CC  ON NEWS THAT BECKETT GOT A 50 MIL EXTENSION WHEN HE WAS PITCHING LIKE CRAP ..... THE FO READS THIS FORUM, OTHER FORUMS, JUST LIKE THEY HAVE PEOPLE MONITORING TV RATINGS, FANS WHO ACTUALLY ARE IN THE BALLPARK...NOT GOING TO CELEBRATE A TEAM THAT GOT RID OF YOUKILIS WITH NO RETURN, AGON WITH LITTLE RETURN, KNOWING THAT ORTIZ COULD BE PERMANANTLY DAMAGED GOODS, MIDDLEBROOKS OUT FOR THE YEAR AFTER 2 INJURIES IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON, AND ELLSBURY BASICALLY A LAME-DUCK CF ABOUT TO LEAVE TOWN SOON. THE TEAM IS NOT GOING TO SUDDENLY BRING IN THE BIG BOYS NEXT SEASON--EVEN HAMILTON WOULD BE A TERRIBLE CHOICE AND HIS WIFE WOULD NIX ANY IDEA OF PLAYING IN TOXIC, MEDIA CRAZED BOSTON....IF I WANTED TO WATCH PAWTUCKET, I WOULD GO THERE TO WATCH THEM, NOT FORCE ME TO WATCH THEM AT THE MLB LEVEL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Lower your voice.
    Middlebrooks was hit by a pitch. Got it. Nothing to do with his being fragile.
    They will rebuild quickly with the money saved.
    End of story.
    Take a pill and calm, down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Lower your voice. Middlebrooks was hit by a pitch. Got it. Nothing to do with his being fragile. They will rebuild quickly with the money saved. End of story. Take a pill and calm, down.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Rebuild with the same evaluators that produced Lackey, CC in the first place. Same guys--only Epstein officially out of the FO. LL still the one okaying anything, the guy who selected BV to help create the toxic atmosphere to begin with. Aceves gets suspended, not surprising...another vote of confidenc for BV, the great handler of his players...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

dcater there is a strong possibility BV will be fired at the end of the season... why harp on him? Chill, chill. Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree with most of them Moon, but I think a few are much more important than others......we need to get Bard back up here and get some confidence back.....low pressure situations where we tell him to throw gas. Lavarnway needs to play everyday, Iggy needs to play everyday.... Bailey needs to close. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

WEEI columnist Kirk Minihane calls for the trade of Dustin Pedroia:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2012/08/27/red-sox-need-trade-dustin-pedroia

Pedroia at No. 34 was the only Red Sox player to appear on the list of Top 50 trade values prepared in July by FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-trade-value-35-31/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Maybe they could get Rizzo back - Doubront, De La Rosa / Barnes & Jerry Sands?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]WEEI columnist Kirk Minihane calls for the trade of Dustin Pedroia: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2012/08/27/red-sox-need-trade-dustin-pedroia Pedroia at No. 34 was the only Red Sox player to appear on the list of Top 50 trade values prepared in July by FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-trade-value-35-31/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Agree with everything he says about trading Pedroia, especially with his all out play and all out swing.  But this off-season is the time to do it.  Ciriaco can take over at 2nd and Iglesias can try and beat out Aviles for SS in ST.  Meanwhile, the Sox should get a good middle of the rotation starter for Pedroia, perhaps with only a year left on his contract.  Matt Garza or someone of that ilk.  To me that would improve the team more than keeping Pedroia and seeing how Aviles, Iglesias and Ciriaco all fit.