Here's What's Next...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Here's What's Next...

slomag, we are thinking on the same lines.  See my "What would it take?" thread.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Here's What's Next...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : Agree with everything he says about trading Pedroia, especially with his all out play and all out swing.  But this off-season is the time to do it.  Ciriaco can take over at 2nd and Iglesias can try and beat out Aviles for SS in ST.  Meanwhile, the Sox should get a good middle of the rotation starter for Pedroia, perhaps with only a year left on his contract.  Matt Garza or someone of that ilk.  To me that would improve the team more than keeping Pedroia and seeing how Aviles, Iglesias and Ciriaco all fit.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

i am totally against trading away our offense now. without a-gon and the possibility of ortiz not coming back we need all the offense we can get. keep pedey, keep ells and try to resign him, resign ross, get another power OF'er (unless kalish steps up), platoon salty/lava, ciriaco at SS, sign swisher to play 1st or OF and make mauro gomez play 1st (unless we can aquire someone)

then trade for a top of the rotation guy and make a bid on greinke (but dont break the bank)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pedey is still a bargain at:
    13:$10M, 14:$10M, 15:$11M club option ($0.5M buyout)
    Also, his luxury tax hit is about $6.75M per year.

I don't see him being traded, but I'll listen to any offer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

OF------  Bryce Brentz  RF,  Bradley in CF, and Ross in LF.

Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Pedroia and Bogaerts at 1 B. Lavarnway C with Montero as RH DH(obtained in trade with Seattle for Ells), Ortiz LH DH
    Salty C, Aviles Super Sub,  

Rotation:
    Buch, Lester, Dice, Doubie, Aceves, Lackey

Pen:
    Bailey, Morales, Miller, Hill, Tazawa, Breslow, Michael Olmsted

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]OF------  Bryce Brentz  RF,  Bradley in CF, and Ross in LF. Middlebrooks, Ciriaco, Pedroia and Bogaerts at 1 B. Lavarnway C with Montero as RH DH(obtained in trade with Seattle for Ells), Ortiz LH DH Salty C, Aviles Super Sub,   Rotation: Buch, Lester, Dice, Doubie, Aceves, Lackey Pen: Bailey, Morales, Miller, Hill, Tazawa, Breslow, Michael Olmsted
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

3 kids who have never played above Double A, including a kid who is still 19 and never played a professional game at the position you are suggesting, in the starting line-up next year?!?!?  On top of that, Lavarnaway doesn't look ready to handle full time catching duties at the Major League level.  That team would win 60 games.  Maybe.  The Sox aren't the 2012 Astros.  My guess is their 2013 roster will be better than a few teams that make the playoffs this year.  They have a solid core nucleus, a pretty deep farm system and the financial resources to put a competitive team on the field next year.  Let the winter play itself out...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : 3 kids who have never played above Double A, including a kid who is still 19 and never played a professional game at the position you are suggesting, in the starting line-up next year?!?!?  On top of that, Lavarnaway doesn't look ready to handle full time catching duties at the Major League level.  That team would win 60 games.  Maybe.  The Sox aren't the 2012 Astros.  My guess is their 2013 roster will be better than a few teams that make the playoffs this year.  They have a solid core nucleus, a pretty deep farm system and the financial resources to put a competitive team on the field next year.  Let the winter play itself out...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Besides the two pitching prospects we got from LA (who some refer to as "farm system scraps"), who do we have in the minors that can pitch in the majors next year..? We are OK with position players, but very weak with pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : Besides the two pitching prospects we got from LA (who some refer to as "farm system scraps"), who do we have in the minors that can pitch in the majors next year..? We are OK with position players, but very weak with pitching.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

People who refer to them as "farm system scraps" obviously have no clue.  No one who actually gets paid to be a baseball scout or paid to write about baseball would ever classify either guy that way.  A couple of lazy trolls on this board who have never heard of them?  Absolutely. You have internet access, do a little homework.

Some will even say the Sox have a top 10 farm system at the moment.  Guys like Barnes, Owens, Ranaudo, Buttrey all have value as Sox pitching prospects as well as some other kids.  They don't necessarily need to find a starter in their own farm system next year.  They have the prospects to make a trade and the financial resources to sign a free agent.  They also still have Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Morales, Doubront and possibly Aceves as rotation options next year.  They don't need 5 new starters. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Pitcher Rubby de la Rosa and outfielder Jerry Sands, the so-called players to be named in the blockbuster trade, continue to play in the Dodger farm system:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2012_08_27_jacaax_cngaax_1

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2012_08_27_albaaa_orhaaa_1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

jasko, why don't you read pumpsie's post again.  He asked which MiL pitchers the Spx have "that can pitch in the majors next year?"  None of the guys you listed is projected to be helping the team next year.  Barnes may get a September call up for a look see, but that's about it for the crew you mention.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : 3 kids who have never played above Double A, including a kid who is still 19 and never played a professional game at the position you are suggesting, in the starting line-up next year?!?!?  On top of that, Lavarnaway doesn't look ready to handle full time catching duties at the Major League level.  That team would win 60 games.  Maybe.  The Sox aren't the 2012 Astros.  My guess is their 2013 roster will be better than a few teams that make the playoffs this year.  They have a solid core nucleus, a pretty deep farm system and the financial resources to put a competitive team on the field next year.  Let the winter play itself out...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Don't you know, Jasko? The Sox fans think Bogerts and Lavarnway and Middlebrooks and Iglesias, and Kalish, and Nava, and Morales, and Doubront, are fun to watch and it's more important to see the kids develop while paying MLB prices for tickets to a MLB park. Fans would rather see Extended Spring Training than watch a MLB team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : Besides the two pitching prospects we got from LA (who some refer to as "farm system scraps"), who do we have in the minors that can pitch in the majors next year..? We are OK with position players, but very weak with pitching.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

If we want to make a push in 2013, we certainly need to get a starter from outside the system, just as we always have (Pedro, Schill, & Beckett).

Our staff next year, as of right now, looks like this (MLB-ready):

S1 Buchholtz
    S2 Lester
    S3 Doubront
    S4 Morales
    S5 Lackey
    S6 Tazawa/Mortensen/Stewart/de la Rosa/Webster/S. Wright

CL Bailey
    RP Breslow
    RP Aceves
    RP Miller
    RP R Hill
    RP Atchison
    RP Bard/Melancon/Beato/Carpenter/Wilson

There are 22 pitchers here, but really only a few that can be counted on to produce significantly next year.

Depth is a nice thing, but 21 is a bit too much mediocrity and not enough quality.

We have some good pitching prospects who won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest:

2 Barnes 22
    (Webster is now rated #4 on soxprospects)
    8 Owens 20
    13 Workman 24
    14 Britton 23
    15 Ranaudo 22
    16 Johnson 21
    17 Pimental 22
    19 A Wilson 25
    21 P Light 21
    22 Buttrey 19
    24 Carpenter 26
    31 Montas 19
    32 Callahan 18
    34 Ramires 22
    35 Pena 21
    36 Hernandez 23

Lots of names, but not many are very highly rated other than Barnes, de la Rosa, and Webster.

I think it is time to trade depth for quality, as in some 2 or 3 for 1 deals. We have some blocked prospects now, such as cecchini at 3B (we could move him to 1B), and several SS prospects (we could move Bogaerts to 1B), and may choose to deal a catcher this winter as well.

There's a lot of little deals we can do to get better. We seem to have a knack at judging lower impact players well (Ciriaco, Aviles, Salty, Aceves, Shoppach, Ross, Morales, Breslow...). 

Maybe some GM really likes some of our low-mid pitching prospects, or will overpay for Lava or Salty or Aviles or Gomez or... We need to actively seek out GMs looking to rebuild and GMs looking to contend, as well as Gms looking to part with some higher salary, but quality players signed through 2014 and beyond. I look at the Gio Gonzalez deal of last year as an example of what is possible. Gio is just 26.

December 23, 2011: Traded by the Oakland Athletics with Robert Gilliam (minors) to the Washington Nationals for A.J. Cole (minors), Tommy MiloneDerek Norris and Brad Peacock.

I said at the time of the Reddick trade, that we should have added more and tried to get Gio. Who knows how close we were, or what they wanted from us for him.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

[QUOTE]Trading Jacoby this winter makes sense, but I suppose he could go waiver wire now. Maybe if we get the team to take Lackey...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    That'd be my wet dream too ...
    window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury, Salty, Aviles, Tazawa, Melancon & Lackey 
    for 
    Vogelsong ( 13:$5M, 14:$6.5M club option ($0.3M buyout)  )
    Hector Sanchez (pre-arb)
    Sergio Romo (2 arbs)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

[QUOTE]Trading Pedroia, at this stage of his career, would be silly. And "beat out Aviles"? Aviles is a bum. Iglesias could have a .240 OBP and offer more than Aviles. The Red Sox need to get rid of Aviles and go with Pedroia, Ciriaco and Iglesias for the middle infield of 2013. For the first time in a long, long time, the Red Sox will actually have a strong fielding middle infield to make bad pitchers look like decent pitchers.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]
    Not hard to do when Aviles' OBP keeps inching closer and closer to .240 with every plate appearance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Here's What's Next...": [QUOTE]jasko, why don't you read pumpsie's post again.  He asked which MiL pitchers the Spx have "that can pitch in the majors next year?"  None of the guys you listed is projected to be helping the team next year.  Barnes may get a September call up for a look see, but that's about it for the crew you mention. Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE] Don't need to...read MY post again. I said they don't necessarily need a kid in the minors to contribute to the pitching staff next year. They have young talent to TRADE for pitching and the financial freedom to SIGN pitching. They have plenty of resources to be able to be competitive next year after the Dodgers "gift."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's What's Next... : If we want to make a push in 2013, we certainly need to get a starter from outside the system, just as we always have (Pedro, Schill, & Beckett). Our staff next year, as of right now, looks like this (MLB-ready): S1 Buchholtz S2 Lester S3 Doubront S4 Morales S5 Lackey S6 Tazawa/Mortensen/Stewart/de la Rosa/Webster/S. Wright CL Bailey RP Breslow RP Aceves RP Miller RP R Hill RP Atchison RP Bard/Melancon/Beato/Carpenter/Wilson There are 22 pitchers here, but really only a few that can be counted on to produce significantly next year. Depth is a nice thing, but 21 is a bit too much mediocrity and not enough quality. We have some good pitching prospects who won't be ready until 2014 at the earliest: 2 Barnes 22 (Webster is now rated #4 on soxprospects) 8 Owens 20 13 Workman 24 14 Britton 23 15 Ranaudo 22 16 Johnson 21 17 Pimental 22 19 A Wilson 25 21 P Light 21 22 Buttrey 19 24 Carpenter 26 31 Montas 19 32 Callahan 18 34 Ramires 22 35 Pena 21 36 Hernandez 23 Lots of names, but not many are very highly rated other than Barnes, de la Rosa, and Webster. I think it is time to trade depth for quality, as in some 2 or 3 for 1 deals. We have some blocked prospects now, such as cecchini at 3B (we could move him to 1B), and several SS prospects (we could move Bogaerts to 1B), and may choose to deal a catcher this winter as well. There's a lot of little deals we can do to get better. We seem to have a knack at judging lower impact players well (Ciriaco, Aviles, Salty, Aceves, Shoppach, Ross, Morales, Breslow...).  Maybe some GM really likes some of our low-mid pitching prospects, or will overpay for Lava or Salty or Aviles or Gomez or... We need to actively seek out GMs looking to rebuild and GMs looking to contend, as well as Gms looking to part with some higher salary, but quality players signed through 2014 and beyond. I look at the Gio Gonzalez deal of last year as an example of what is possible. Gio is just 26. December 23, 2011 : Traded by the  Oakland Athletics  with  Robert Gilliam  (minors) to the  Washington Nationals  for  A.J. Cole  (minors),  Tommy Milone ,  Derek Norris  and  Brad Peacock . I said at the time of the Reddick trade, that we should have added more and tried to get Gio. Who knows how close we were, or what they wanted from us for him.

"Maybe some GM really likes some of our low-mid pitching prospects, or will overpay for Lava or Salty or Aviles or Gomez or... We need to actively seek out GMs looking to rebuild and GMs looking to contend, as well as Gms looking to part with some higher salary, but quality players signed through 2014 and beyond. I look at the Gio Gonzalez deal of last year as an example of what is possible. Gio is just 26.

I said at the time of the Reddick trade, that we should have added more and tried to get Gio. Who knows how close we were, or what they wanted from us for him.

esp the above 2 paragraphs, well said and im in agreement.
    i too coveted gio at the time. pissed we didnt get him!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury, Salty, Aviles, Tazawa, Melancon & Lackey  for  Vogelsong ( 13 :$5M,  14 :$6.5M club option ($0.3M buyout)   ) Hector Sanchez (pre-arb) Sergio Romo (2 arbs)

nice creative thinking!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, what a turning point that was just missing on getting billy beane as red sox gm......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yeah, 2 WS titles after he turned the Sox down, the organization is reeling.  Did I mention the Sox won 2 WS titles, not just played in them, won them. You know, something Billy Beane has never done as a GM.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Maybe some GM really likes some of our low-mid pitching prospects, or will overpay for Lava or Salty or Aviles or Gomez or... We need to actively seek out GMs looking to rebuild and GMs looking to contend, as well as Gms looking to part with some higher salary, but quality players signed through 2014 and beyond. I look at the Gio Gonzalez deal of last year as an example of what is possible. Gio is just 26.

esp the above 2 paragraphs, well said and im in agreement.
    i too coveted gio at the time. pissed we didnt get him!

The Nats gave some nice prospects, but I don't think it was more than what we could have offered. We could have given Reddick, Ranaudo, Coyle, and Anderson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Did anyone hear who was awarded the claim on Upton?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess not.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to Here's What's Next...:

Several teams claimed Upton, including the Rangers. This is a feeler for the DBACks as they try again to move Upton over the winter. The Yankees and Red Sox are two of the teams on his current "power to block list", which isn't to stop the deal but to give him leverage to negotiate an extension. Cafardo claims "the Red Sox are not the team", but multiple teams have obviously claimed him to block any deal to Texas. It's clear the Rangers are finished with Hamilton, who should be avoided like the plague.  If Cherry has any competence at all he'll birddog the Upton trade market and be ready to meet the trade market price. He needs to unload Ellsbury and his 10 million for 2013, as part of the process to clear the way for Upton's acquisition.

Ells to Get Upton...LoL.................

Sections
Shortcuts