Here's Why I've Become a John Lackey Fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Here's Why I've Become a John Lackey Fan

I'm rooting heavily for John Lackey. First and foremost, he'll help the Red Sox.

But it goes beyond that too. Hypocritical fans pushed me in that direction. J.D. Drew was ripped for not playing if he had a slight hang nail. Yet Lackey went out in 2011 with a fried elbow, and he was ripped because he struggled. And to go back to 2010, he was a lot better than he's given credit for. He started slow but had an ERA in the 3.s the last couple of months.

Now many will add to his personality -- the way he talked in interviews. Yes, at times he said some dumb things, but also it's superficial. The guy doesn't come across well in an interview, so we kill him. So what -- if he snowed us with great personality, etc. we'd like him?

Others will bring up his attitude on the field. Yes at times it appeared he was showing up teammates. However, some of it also could be simply he was just upset because he gave up another bomb. He wasn't mad that the ball wasn't caught. He was mad that it couldn't be caught because he made another bad pitch.

Again, here's where J.D. comes in along with A-Gon. Fans ripped them because they played with no emotion and it looked like they didn't care. Lackey wore his emotion on his sleeve, and he's ripped because he does care.

Also, I look at Lackey in 2011 as a human being. He was going out every day and taking his turn despite a bad elbow and was struggling. His personal life was falling apart. So his life was falling apart professionally and personally. That's a lot for anyone to deal with.

He was ripped last year for traveling with the team despite being on the DL, but I think that was a good thing for him. His teammates were a support system -- a family -- that helped him get through the divorce and the not playing.

By all accounts, Lackey is the type of teammate we should admire. He takes young players under his wing, picking up checks, buying them suits, helping them adjust to the majors, etc.

And to top it off, it appears he has worked out hard to come back strong, which should show the one thing that fans say they care about.

THAT HE CARES.

So now, I don't care what is contract is. I think he really cares about doing well, so I'm rooting big-time for him.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Here's Why I've Become a John Lackey Fan

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But it goes beyond that too. Hypocritical fans pushed me in that direction. J.D. Drew was ripped for not playing if he had a slight hang nail. Yet Lackey went out in 2011 with a fried elbow, and he was ripped because he struggled. And to go back to 2010, he was a lot better than he's given credit for. He started slow but had an ERA in the 3.s the last couple of months.

That's just the fans that hate every player on the RS.

And hate the FO.

And hate Fenway.

And hate the coaches.

And hate Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Roy1NINER.....  DAD & BILL-806 CONCUR.......  Lackey is a "bulldog", I would really like to see him bounce back !!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm glad you brought up him pitching on a shredded elbow in 2011. To me, a guy who'll keep going out there in a tremendous amount of pain start after start is a real team guy and someone who is deserving of our support. He's probably overpaid and a lot of "fans" hold that against him, just like they did with Crawford. But in this day and age, show me a veteran baseball player who isn't overpaid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I looked into his eyes and saw a new soul.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

It's nice to see him come back with a whole new strategery.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I'm glad you brought up him pitching on a shredded elbow in 2011. To me, a guy who'll keep going out there in a tremendous amount of pain start after start is a real team guy and someone who is deserving of our support. He's probably overpaid and a lot of "fans" hold that against him, just like they did with Crawford. But in this day and age, show me a veteran baseball player who isn't overpaid.

The irony is that if the Sox don't pay the big money to keep their players or sign big-time free agents, fans will rip Henry for being cheap and padding his pockets. Yet when they give out big contracts, these same fans will rip the Sox for overpaying the player and turn on the player at the slightest slump.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I looked into his eyes and saw a new soul.  :)

When he had that meltdown in 2011 about how his life was falling apart -- or however he phrased it -- I felt bad for him. He came across a guy who was dealing with a lot of bad stuff and did not know how to handle it all.

They way some fans demonize players is ridiculous. Not that some players don't deserve it, but most of the time, it goes way overboard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Exactly on target Roy, and it needed to be said. I'm hopeful and optimistic that we will see the same  Lackey that pitched so well with the Angels for so long. He's or 5th starter and I'm hoping he's the best 5th starter in the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Nice post, Roy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When you hear the way various teammates -- not just pitchers -- have come to his defense, to me it shows that he's not a bad guy. If he was, they might not rip him, but they also wouldn't defend him like they have.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I'm all for second chances and hope he does well

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Second batter FROZEN on a great pitch!  :)

3rd man up, Lackey looks like a gymnist making the LEAPING grab & toss to 1st  :)

NOW for the K, on a devastating slider!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

None of us really know the true personalities of the players.

As a defense mechanism, they usually follow the rule 'say something positive and don't rock the boat'.

Just the fact that he stayed with the team during personal problems and rehab is enough to convince me he's a team guy.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

As a defense mechanism, they usually follow the rule 'say something positive and don't rock the boat'.

Just the fact that he stayed with the team during personal problems and rehab is enough to convince me he's a team guy.

The way teammates, and again, not just pitchers, seem to go above and beyond the standard teammate talk said something to me. 

And it's funny too. Ellsbury was ripped because he went to Arizona to rehab, and Lackey was ripped because he stayed with the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Honesty as the best policy seldom works.  It's why I generally don't listen to uinterviews.    Some guys have a knack for just saying the right thing.  Some players make the mistake of being honest.  Tell them that you're arm was hurting, and the RS haters will accuse you of making excuses.  Tell them that your arm is fine, and the RS haters will accuse you of covering up.

If Ells doesn't play because he's hurt, the haters will accuse him of being fragile.  But if he does play hurt, the haters will accuse him of trying to run up stats because it's a contract year.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Darn he was doing so good, but I saw him giving up a home run...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

NOOOOOOOO!

He really was looking good!

What a shame.  This doesn't look good!

Sections
Shortcuts