Here's Why I've Become a John Lackey Fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Here's Why I've Become a John Lackey Fan

Ouch!! He might be out fothere rest of the season! Looked bad

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Wow, this looks bad.  He was pitching well too.  So sad to see.  Hope the Sox give Webster a shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Wow. Too bad for Lackey.  He was pitching well too.  Sad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Ouch!! He might be out fothere rest of the season! Looked bad

Unfortunately, if its bad, he could be out for his career.  Thank you Theo.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Maybe it won't be as bad as we fear, although I'm not optimistic. Too bad. He was pitching very well. Likely would have gone six based on his pitch count. Would have been a nice first start back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Maybe it won't be as bad as we fear, although I'm not optimistic. Too bad. He was pitching very well. Likely would have gone six based on his pitch count. Would have been a nice first start back.

just a bicep strain. not too serious. may miss a couple of starts

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'm rooting heavily for John Lackey. First and foremost, he'll help the Red Sox.

But it goes beyond that too. Hypocritical fans pushed me in that direction. J.D. Drew was ripped for not playing if he had a slight hang nail. Yet Lackey went out in 2011 with a fried elbow, and he was ripped because he struggled. And to go back to 2010, he was a lot better than he's given credit for. He started slow but had an ERA in the 3.s the last couple of months.

Now many will add to his personality -- the way he talked in interviews. Yes, at times he said some dumb things, but also it's superficial. The guy doesn't come across well in an interview, so we kill him. So what -- if he snowed us with great personality, etc. we'd like him?

Others will bring up his attitude on the field. Yes at times it appeared he was showing up teammates. However, some of it also could be simply he was just upset because he gave up another bomb. He wasn't mad that the ball wasn't caught. He was mad that it couldn't be caught because he made another bad pitch.

Again, here's where J.D. comes in along with A-Gon. Fans ripped them because they played with no emotion and it looked like they didn't care. Lackey wore his emotion on his sleeve, and he's ripped because he does care.

Also, I look at Lackey in 2011 as a human being. He was going out every day and taking his turn despite a bad elbow and was struggling. His personal life was falling apart. So his life was falling apart professionally and personally. That's a lot for anyone to deal with.

He was ripped last year for traveling with the team despite being on the DL, but I think that was a good thing for him. His teammates were a support system -- a family -- that helped him get through the divorce and the not playing.

By all accounts, Lackey is the type of teammate we should admire. He takes young players under his wing, picking up checks, buying them suits, helping them adjust to the majors, etc.

And to top it off, it appears he has worked out hard to come back strong, which should show the one thing that fans say they care about.

THAT HE CARES.

So now, I don't care what is contract is. I think he really cares about doing well, so I'm rooting big-time for him.

Roy, I was neutral on Lackey when he was with the Angels....wasn't thrilled when we signed him.  Became a big supporter in 2011.  Famous, wealthy athlete....stud his whole baseball life....obviously pitching on fumes and probably in great pain.  Getting shelled most games on the way to an historically bad season.  Idiots everywhere attacking him for failing when they should have admired him for trying.

Keith Foulke: "On June 28, 2005, after struggling with injuries and a 6.03 ERA to that point, Foulke lashed out at Red Sox fans, who were booing him.

"They're not going to make it any harder than it is for me to go home and look in the mirror", Foulke said about the booing that rained down from the stands on a sticky night in the Fens. "Like I've told you guys plenty of times, I'm more embarrassed to walk into this locker room and look at the faces of my teammates than I am to walk out and see Johnny from Burger King booing me. I'm worried about these guys, not everybody else."

Look in the mirror, all you abusive complainers, and enjoy the whiff of greasy "beef".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Bicep strain instead of a bicep tear? Thanks MEF for that good news. I'm surprised that they did an MRI so quickly.

"Biceps", Pike, "biceps".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Wow, this looks bad.  He was pitching well too.  So sad to see.  Hope the Sox give Webster a shot.

Nah, Aceves and off days. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i'm glad the injury isn't as bad as it looked. Lackey was DEALING today. 8K, 1 walk (Aceves actually was the one who walked him but Lackey was grandfathered in) and 2 ER. If he didn't get hurt he probably could have lasted into the 7th and has 10Ks. I wish him a speedy recovery

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I'm rooting heavily for John Lackey. First and foremost, he'll help the Red Sox.

But it goes beyond that too. Hypocritical fans pushed me in that direction. J.D. Drew was ripped for not playing if he had a slight hang nail. Yet Lackey went out in 2011 with a fried elbow, and he was ripped because he struggled. And to go back to 2010, he was a lot better than he's given credit for. He started slow but had an ERA in the 3.s the last couple of months.

Now many will add to his personality -- the way he talked in interviews. Yes, at times he said some dumb things, but also it's superficial. The guy doesn't come across well in an interview, so we kill him. So what -- if he snowed us with great personality, etc. we'd like him?

Others will bring up his attitude on the field. Yes at times it appeared he was showing up teammates. However, some of it also could be simply he was just upset because he gave up another bomb. He wasn't mad that the ball wasn't caught. He was mad that it couldn't be caught because he made another bad pitch.

Again, here's where J.D. comes in along with A-Gon. Fans ripped them because they played with no emotion and it looked like they didn't care. Lackey wore his emotion on his sleeve, and he's ripped because he does care.

Also, I look at Lackey in 2011 as a human being. He was going out every day and taking his turn despite a bad elbow and was struggling. His personal life was falling apart. So his life was falling apart professionally and personally. That's a lot for anyone to deal with.

He was ripped last year for traveling with the team despite being on the DL, but I think that was a good thing for him. His teammates were a support system -- a family -- that helped him get through the divorce and the not playing.

By all accounts, Lackey is the type of teammate we should admire. He takes young players under his wing, picking up checks, buying them suits, helping them adjust to the majors, etc.

And to top it off, it appears he has worked out hard to come back strong, which should show the one thing that fans say they care about.

THAT HE CARES.

So now, I don't care what is contract is. I think he really cares about doing well, so I'm rooting big-time for him.

Nice post, good for you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it is amazing what getting in shape and caring can do for one's performance...baseball players, pitchers in particular, have to be the laziest athletes of them all...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Sounds like hes going to be ok. Im glad, Id have hated to see him work his butt off (almost literally) and blow up after 4 innings.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Pike, "you are a princess in a world of dragons".

--Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith to Amy Allen, 1983.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

So now, I don't care what is contract is

I'm glad, because that means, when it comes to playing time decisions, you don't care about what a player's contract is. And, it also means you don't care about "an extra year of control" when that extra year can be paid in the form of a contract that you don't care what it is.

BTW, I'm not a fan of Lackey. He's been unfit and unprofessional since he signed that contract you don't care about. Lackey cares about that contract, that you don't care about.

Does he not get credit for being well respected by his team and playing with an elbow that needed TJ for the majority of season. You can't criticize players for taking too long to come back than criticize the performance of a player playing hurt. It is extremely hypocritical on your part.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

it is amazing what getting in shape and caring can do for one's performance...baseball players, pitchers in particular, have to be the laziest athletes of them all...

They are baseball players not athletes.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I'm glad you brought up him pitching on a shredded elbow in 2011. To me, a guy who'll keep going out there in a tremendous amount of pain start after start is a real team guy and someone who is deserving of our support. He's probably overpaid and a lot of "fans" hold that against him, just like they did with Crawford. But in this day and age, show me a veteran baseball player who isn't overpaid.

If he had a bad elbow, how did he pass the Sox' physical?  Seems to me as if he got an enormous contract under false pretenses.

25. This post has been removed.