HEREWE GO AGAIN.... Ws simply can't hit good pitching! Then again... we can't HIT PERIOD.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: HEREWE GO AGAIN.... Ws simply can't hit good pitching! Then again... we can't HIT PERIOD.

You don't think if we added a front line reliever that other guys would be used in more specific roles and therefore, be more effective? (case in point A Miller is not a 2 inning pitcher)..........

We probably have the best BP in the league.  We are 2nd in ERA and 1st in WAR.  Spending money or prospects to get a better #7 RP makes no sense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: HEREWE GO AGAIN.... Ws simply can't hit good pitching! Then again... we can't HIT PERIOD.

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham
    ‏@PeteAbe
    A few telling #RedSox stats: 5-10 in 1-run games, 10-12 at home, 10-14 against teams with a winning record.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If we were .500 in one-one games, we'd be tied for 1st.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's more than just that. They also made the decision to ride on Clay's shoulder.

Going with a pitcher with the best record in BB and the best ERA in BB is not usually a discussion.

FROM WHEN?  MAY OF 2013??

They also made the decision to not spend too much $ on the bull pen.

We have one guy with an ERA of 3.75 who had one bad appearance, and is at 0.00.  We have 5 other guys whoe ERAs are under 3.00.  Are you sure you didn't mean to say 'we spent too much on our BP'?

CORRECT.  YOUR STATS ARE MISLEADING.  ERA FOR RELIEVERS IS NOT A GOOD STAT.  ANYWAYS, THEY ARE A QUALITY RELIEVER AWAY FROM SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT AND BEN DID NOT ALLOCATE ENOUGH MONEY TO THE PEN. 

They also made the decision to downgrade the overall outfield offense. They also made the decision to live with a weaker left side of the defense.

Not much you can do there unless you want to overpay for Ellsbury. 

AGREED

And I didn't know you were such a fan of Stephen Drew.

YES, I HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE.  I DON'T HOLD IT AGAINST HIM THAT HIS BROTHER WAS GROSSLY OVERPAID

Boggy I get, but not as SS. JBJ I get too. But WMB isn't a kid coming into this year. He had a full year under his belt heading into Sept of LAST year and he was demoted to the bench. And the Sox made him a starter this year at the same time they were taking on risk from 2 other KEY positions.

I am not completely against Ben but I think he went too far to one side and needs to re-balance the team.

There seems to be a train of thought that moving Bogaerts when he only has a .708 would help.  I'm not quite sure I understand why.  A .708 3B with little experience at 3B is not helpful.

IT COULD HAVE AN EFFECT.  FIRST, IT WOULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF HIM FOR HAVING TO PLAY A MUCH MORE DEMANDING POSITION.  SECOND, IT COULD HAVE A POSITIVE RIPPLE EFFECT ON THE REST OF THE TEAM (EG BETTER D AT SS).

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Giving up 3 early runs doesn't take your team out of the game.  

[/QUOTE]

It sure can.  If you are up against  a good pitcher and struggling to score it can be deflating.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

You don't think if we added a front line reliever that other guys would be used in more specific roles and therefore, be more effective? (case in point A Miller is not a 2 inning pitcher)..........

We probably have the best BP in the league.  We are 2nd in ERA and 1st in WAR.  Spending money or prospects to get a better #7 RP makes no sense.

[/QUOTE]

who said anything about a #7 RP?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Giving up 3 early runs doesn't take your team out of the game.  

[/QUOTE]

It sure can.  If you are up against  a good pitcher and struggling to score it can be deflating.

[/QUOTE]

Well OK. 

If you score 2 runs you're usually going to lose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to fluff your skirts ladies, but we're dealing with 1/4 of the season now, & these chicks just can't hit!

STUNNED!

[/QUOTE]

Jon Lester would be a 25 game winner on a team that could give him 2-3 runs at least per game.  The other issue is that depending upon the rotation, of course, another team usually pitches its star too and they want to fill up all the seats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

CORRECT. YOUR STATS ARE MISLEADING. ERA FOR RELIEVERS IS NOT A GOOD STAT. ANYWAYS, THEY ARE A QUALITY RELIEVER AWAY FROM SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT AND BEN DID NOT ALLOCATE ENOUGH MONEY TO THE PEN.

Care to explain how my stats are misleading?  If you don't like ERA, go with WAR (1st), FIP (3rd) or xFIP (1st).  Or tell me which of our top 6 RPs are inappropriate for their role.

YES, I HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE. I DON'T HOLD IT AGAINST HIM THAT HIS BROTHER WAS GROSSLY OVERPAID

There is an argument for re-signing Drew, but even at that, I'd drop Bogaerts to the minors for more seasoning and control time before I'd shift him to 3rd.  That doesn't seem to net us anything.

IT COULD HAVE AN EFFECT. FIRST, IT WOULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF HIM FOR HAVING TO PLAY A MUCH MORE DEMANDING POSITION. SECOND, IT COULD HAVE A POSITIVE RIPPLE EFFECT ON THE REST OF THE TEAM (EG BETTER D AT SS).

Same as above, I could see the argument for a better glove at SS, but I don't think a defensive upgrade at SS is what this team needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

CORRECT. YOUR STATS ARE MISLEADING. ERA FOR RELIEVERS IS NOT A GOOD STAT. ANYWAYS, THEY ARE A QUALITY RELIEVER AWAY FROM SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT AND BEN DID NOT ALLOCATE ENOUGH MONEY TO THE PEN.

Care to explain how my stats are misleading?  If you don't like ERA, go with WAR (1st), FIP (3rd) or xFIP (1st).  Or tell me which of our top 6 RPs are inappropriate for their role.

Those stats are aggregators or averages.  They do not take into account the standard deviation/variance/consistency.

I already did  - A Miller being used for multiple innings.

YES, I HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE. I DON'T HOLD IT AGAINST HIM THAT HIS BROTHER WAS GROSSLY OVERPAID

There is an argument for re-signing Drew, but even at that, I'd drop Bogaerts to the minors for more seasoning and control time before I'd shift him to 3rd.  That doesn't seem to net us anything.

That's b/c you'd drop Boggy and I wound not.

IT COULD HAVE AN EFFECT. FIRST, IT WOULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF HIM FOR HAVING TO PLAY A MUCH MORE DEMANDING POSITION. SECOND, IT COULD HAVE A POSITIVE RIPPLE EFFECT ON THE REST OF THE TEAM (EG BETTER D AT SS).

Same as above, I could see the argument for a better glove at SS, but I don't think a defensive upgrade at SS is what this team needs.

a defensive upgrade at SS is certainly something they need

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Who are you going to push out of a role?  Tazawa has a 2.65.  It is always possible to get a better setup guy, but if you want someone with a better ERA, that'll cost you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Our pitching staff is fine. Problem is that out of 9 innings we only have about 3 in which to look forward to a fair chance to score. Papi .302, Vic .292, Pedey .278 and Nap .252 but then AJ, Bogaerds, Gomes, Sizemore are all in the .230-.240 range & then our real problem...Bradley .200, Middy .197, Ross .182 & Nava .149.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

As of this morning we are TENTH in runs scored in the AL. Our pitching is FIFTH in ERA overall, NINTH in SP and SECOND in RP. This should tell you where the deficiencies are on the club. We cannot hit the baseball well enough to get any traction, and while three of our SP are having good years, the other two have, overall, stunk. Its tempting to look at the standings and revel in the fact that we are just 2.5 games out of first place, but that's a foolish approach. A more logical approach is to look at the standings and figure out a way to get ahead of those teams who are also having a hard time getting going while we still can. This has to start with sending WMB back to Pawtucket for a long long time-and giving someone else a chance. If Bradley Jr , currently hitting .200/.597 cannot improve within a few weeks, he should follow WMB down to the minors again. No amount of defense can make up for those atrocious stats. We simply cannot afford to have Ross (.182/.614), Herrera (.184/.480), Middlebrooks (.197/.629), and Bradley in any combination in our lineup. That's what needs to be done for starters. Lets see just how committed the FO is to winning this year.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jon Lester would be a 25 game winner on a team that could give him 2-3 runs at least per game.  The other issue is that depending upon the rotation, of course, another team usually pitches its star too and they want to fill up all the seats.

[/QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away.  Jon won 15 last year for the highest-scoring team in baseball. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Down 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th with 2 men on and no outs and Bradley up---a weak hitter with better than average speed--- you might think the Sox would play a little small ball. Silly me, you let Bradley swing away and he strikes out. That's followed by a ground ball double play and the Sox squander their best opportunity to steal one from the Tigers. When you've got a weak hitting team, especially at the bottom of the order, maybe trying something different is worth a shot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Who are you going to push out of a role?  Tazawa has a 2.65.  It is always possible to get a better setup guy, but if you want someone with a better ERA, that'll cost you.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly - Ben did not spend enough money on adding a top line reliever. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Down 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th with 2 men on and no outs and Bradley up---a weak hitter with better than average speed--- you might think the Sox would play a little small ball. Silly me, you let Bradley swing away and he strikes out. That's followed by a ground ball double play and the Sox squander their best opportunity to steal one from the Tigers. When you've got a weak hitting team, especially at the bottom of the order, maybe trying something different is worth a shot.

[/QUOTE]

YES!   This kid absolutely sucks at the plate!  Epically bad!!!   I was all for giving him a shot at replacing Ells, but it seams clear that he simply can't hit in the bigs.   Given his decent production in the minors, I honestly thought he would at least be hitting .265+.   He may soon go below .200, with zero improvement in sight.

Having him swing away in this situation was inexplicable.   Time to bring back Nava, & move Size to center.  I would send JBJ down & bring up Brentz.

We may be doing irreparable harm to JBJ'S long term prospects.  He's just not ready.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Care to explain how my stats are misleading? If you don't like ERA, go with WAR (1st), FIP (3rd) or xFIP (1st). Or tell me which of our top 6 RPs are inappropriate for their role.

Those stats are aggregators or averages. They do not take into account the standard deviation/variance/consistency.

I already did - A Miller being used for multiple innings.

Explain how standard deviation/variance/consitency is a reason to acquire someone to replace Tazawa/

IRT Miller, he is the best multi-inning RP in BB.  

His ERA this year in appearances > 1.0 IPs is 1.59, with a 9/0 K/W in 5.2 IPs.

His ERA in 2013 in appearances > 1.0 IPs was 0.79, with a 17/3 K/W in 11.1 IPs.

His ERA in 2012 in appearances > 1.0 IPs was 0.79, with a 12/2 K/W in 11.1 IPs.

So Miller's ERA since 2012 for more than one IP is 0.95 with a 38/5 K/W.

So, without checking, there is probably little doubt he is one of the best in history, and NOT, AS YOU SAY, someone that can't go more than one inning.

But that is not the reason I posted all that, though it was enjoyable and interesting.

The reason I posted it is because you are egrgiously overreacting to one appearance.  He gave up a run against MN, so you extrapolated an entire career from that, without bothering to check his stats.  That doesn't work in the real world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly - Ben did not spend enough money on adding a top line reliever. 

[/QUOTE]

Ummmm....our relief pitching is second in the AL in ERA. That is not the problem. 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Focusing on the BP as a major concern for this Red Sox team would be akin to focusing on the undersecretary of aggricultue for this administration in getting to the heart of the real problems we are facing as a nation.

Almost irrelevant!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Certainly rediculous!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

To quote my favorite president since 1996, "It's the bats stupid!"     ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Question might be, can we even hit bad pitching?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

our lineup is weak - unless papi goes on a monumental tear like he did in MN, we are cooked....we have spare parts running the engine...seriously what do you expect? this is the team most of us thought we had last year .500   and that was with Salty and Ells...

As always - 100% correct!

[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much my opinion too geo. I do think the younger players will come around though. Just gotta be a bit more patient with them.

What people thought we had last year, we have this year. Personally, I didn't expect any kind of repeat from 2013.

there are a bunch of kids in the upper levels, contracts that are up, and possible resigning of a couple players. They are assessing the younger players and will probably give them plenty of rope.

Some players just aren't going to match what they did last year.

IMO, THIS is the "Bridge" year......there, I said it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't get carried away.

Before these last 2 games, they had a 4-game stretch where they scored 8,5,6,9.  So yes, they are not incapable of scoring runs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WE CAN'T!!!!!   Yet many on here want to beat back the hounds, and try to spin each loss as it were as simple as "running up against a really good pitcher."

Sorry ladies, you simply only get so many passes on that point!  Of course it's true on the occasions you raise, but it's NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE OF HORRIFIC HITTING!!!!

Whay's your point anyway?  Do you really think we don't know a good pitcher vs. One that is average or below average?  We, as a team, have sucked against them all!!!   Time to find a new excuse.

Sections
Shortcuts