Hershiser and Papi thoughts....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hershiser and Papi thoughts....

What does the forum think of Hershiser as a pitching coach? Comcast NE just reported that V may be looking in H's direction. I think it's an interesting idea, worth at least a good look. Also, Papi's comment that "I want to finish my career as a Red Sox, but it's no longer on me" is confusing. The Red Sox just offered him a deal, how is it that it's not on him to take it?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts....

In Response to Hershiser and Papi thoughts....:
    What does the forum think of Hershiser as a pitching coach? Comcast NE just reported that V may be looking in H's direction. I think it's an interesting idea, worth at least a good look. Also, Papi's comment that "I want to finish my career as a Red Sox, but it's no longer on me" is confusing. The Red Sox just offered him a deal, how is it that it's not on him to take it?  
    Posted by TheExaminer
    Orel would be a good choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Hershiser and Papi thoughts....:
    Posted by TheExaminer

Valentine flew down to the DR to meet and greet Ortiz, to let him know he wants him to remain with the Boston.  the sox offered papi arbitration exam. Ortiz has until Wednesday to decide if he'll accept it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Orel may be a good choice.

Details on Ortiz offer, please. Verifiable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts....:
    In Response to Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : Valentine flew down to the DR to speak with Otiz. just a meet and greet to let him know he wants him to remain with the Boston.  the sox just offered papi arbitration exam. ortiz has until Wednesday to decide
    Posted by J-BAY

But yeah, that's what I mean. It's up to him to accept it, so how is it not on him? That males me think he's going to reject arbitration and test the market.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : But yeah, that's what I mean. It's up to him to accept it, so how is it not on him? That males me think he's going to reject arbitration and test the market.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Ortiz wants a multi year deal. three, but thats not going to happen at age 36. he was quoted as saying "do i have to tell you what i'm capable of? love ortiz but i'm getting tired of the BIG I am act

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : Ortiz wants a multi year deal. three, but thats not going to happen at age 36. he was quoted as saying "do i have to tell you what i'm capable of? love ortiz but i'm getting tired of the BIG I am crap
    Posted by J-BAY

Yeah, no more than two, and then I'd make the second year a club option. I doubt anyone gives him three.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So... Papi wants $50M+ over 4 years?

I'd say that just about means good bye Papi.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : Yeah, no more than two, and then I'd make the second year a club option. I doubt anyone gives him three.
    Posted by TheExaminer

He stands to make more than the 12.5 he made this year, if he goes to arbitration, but says he's "looking for security" where's the money he's made in the last 10 years...didn't it give him that? sounds foolish, especially during the current economic downturn.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : He stands to make more than the 12.5 he made this year if he goes to arbitration, but says he's "looking for security" where's the money he's made in the last 10 years... didnt it give him that?? sounds foolish, especially in the current economic downturn.
    Posted by J-BAY

Couldn't agree more. Maybe he spent it all on his restraunts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : Ortiz wants a multi year deal. three, but thats not going to happen at age 36. he was quoted as saying "do i have to tell you what i'm capable of? love ortiz but i'm getting tired of the BIG I am act
    Posted by J-BAY

ditto.
    thanks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

What a player wants has zero to do with being gone. Market decides that. No 3 year market for Ortiz exists, much less 4 years. Offer 1 year and 13.5M plus team option/payer opt out about 8M buyout 2.5M. If 2 year market is out there for more than that, dubious, offer 2 years and base 10 plus option 3 at about 8M and buyout of 2.5M. That should do it. Yes, it is about a 4 or 5M market overpay beyond one year, as Ortiz is unlikely to remain productive beyond another year, if that. But he earned the market base offer, something parasites Varisuk and Wastefield did not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Hersh is interesting.  Like with manager, I have no idea if a person will make a good coach, but he always struck me as pretty smart.

If Papi wants to stay a RS, all he has to do is to keep accepting arbitration until we get tired of offering it.  If he takes arb, maybe he gets $12M this year, and depending on how much he declines, maybe another $8M the year after.  If he declines, is he really going to get much more than $20M/2?  By the time he retires, he'll have made $100M.  Will another million or two make much difference?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Hersh is interesting.  Like with manager, I have no idea if a person will make a good coach, but he always struck me as pretty smart. If Papi wants to stay a RS, all he has to do is to keep accepting arbitration until we get tired of offering it.  If he takes arb, maybe he gets $12M this year, and depending on how much he declines, maybe another $8M the year after.  If he declines, is he really going to get much more than $20M/2?  By the time he retires, he'll have made $100M.  Will another million or two make much difference?
    Posted by Joebreidey

maybe he could ask Johnny Damon, JoeUndecidedMoney mouthTongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : He stands to make more than the 12.5 he made this year, if he goes to arbitration, but says he's "looking for security" where's the money he's made in the last 10 years...didn't it give him that? sounds foolish, especially during the current economic downturn.
    Posted by J-BAY

guys papi wants someone to feed his gigantic head (to get bigger). i dont  think it fits in the concept of team. i would prefer the attitudes that will contribute to an all for one and one for all ethic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : maybe he could ask Johnny Damon, Joe
    Posted by J-BAY

like the orel option

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

In Response to Re: Hershiser and Papi thoughts.... : He stands to make more than the 12.5 he made this year, if he goes to arbitration, but says he's "looking for security" where's the money he's made in the last 10 years...didn't it give him that? sounds foolish, especially during the current economic downturn.
    Posted by J-BAY

Lets just end this conversation forever!!!!
    Sports and entertainment contracts have NOTHING

NOTHING!!!!!

To do with everyday Joes and Janes. They are paid by what they are worth within their own business realm.  You wouldn't even qualify for the minimum because you aren't an athlete.  A hamburger flipper can't command $100 K to be the CEO of a construction company, because they AREN'T one.  Stop with this foolish rhetoric of how much someone makes because they play a game.  Get a grasp on reality! 

I would cold-cokk guarantee 1000000000% that if the Sox were pursuing Pujols this off season, NO ONE would be crying "Greedy selfish athlete" if Sox out-bid for his services at $25 Million per year.   Suddenly these harsh economic times fans champion so proudly oddly disappears when they fancy dreams of Babe Ruth on their team.

Funny how the exceptions and excuses begin to fly.  Typical New Englanders. Its an old bark and its time to put that dying dog down.

Ortiz is worth what the market pays for him. Stop worrying about what others make and be the best at what you do.

End of Story.. FOREVER!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

guys papi wants someone to feed his gigantic head (to get bigger). i dont think it fits in the concept of team. i would prefer the attitudes that will contribute to an all for one and one for all ethic.

Then you agree Ellsbury should be traded after windfall career year in front of Pedroia and Agon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ortiz blows, I cannot wait for him to get out of town.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ortiz sighted the DUNN contract as the "security" he deserves, yeah look how much the White Sox love that deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Ortiz needs 'security'?  How many millions have we given him over the years??  If he doesn't have 'security' by now, he never will.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ortiz sighted the DUNN contract as the "security" he deserves, yeah look how much the White Sox love that deal.
    Posted by BurritoT

That's like Lackey justifying his pay with the Zito example.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

well as I have said I would bet Ortiz hits 30/90 this year for another team. It is years 2,3, and 4 that I refuse to take a chance on (as if it were up to me).

I bet the Sox ink him at 2 years guaranteed with a 3rd year option. No team on the planet will go 3 years guaranteed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

What a player wants has zero to do with being gone. Market decides that. No 3 year market for Ortiz exists, much less 4 years.Offer 1 year and 13.5M plus team option/payer opt out about 8M buyout 2.5M. If 2 year market is out there for more than that, dubious, offer 2 years and base 10 plus option 3 at about 8M and buyout of 2.5M. That should do it. Yes, it is about a 4 or 5M market overpay beyond one year, as Ortiz is unlikely to remain productive beyond another year, if that. But he earned the market base offer, something parasites Varisuk and Wastefield did not.
    Posted by hankwilliams

Sometimes the market exists for things you wouldn't expect. See Carl Crawford and John Lackey.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unlike silly clown, I have stuck pretty close to my original Papi offer...

Year 1: $9M base and easy incentives to reach $11M/hard incentives to reach $13M.

Year 2: $8M base (unless reached $12M+ through incentives in 2012, then the base would remain at $9M). Same incentives as 2012.

Year 3: $7M base (unless reached $10M+ in 2012-add $1M and $11M+ in 2013-add another M to base). Same incentives as 2012. Club buy out at $2M

The minimum he can make with 3rd year buyout: $19M/2 (He'd have to have been horrible to get this.) Min for 3 yrs: $24M.

The maximum he could make: $28M/2 or $39M/3.

Sections
Shortcuts