Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira?

Mazz bleated endlessly on about Teix before and after he was a FA, blaming Henry as if players have no choice.  Maybe Mazz has gone quiet b/c Teix aint a superstar profile (Hank loves Teix too) any more.  In his defense, Teix is a rare example of a position player who peaked early.

Players with higher OPS and/or wRC+ (2010 to now) than Teix:

Billy Butler,  Andrew McCutchen, Shin Sho Choo,  Rickie Weeks,   Jayson Werth, and  Josh Willingham.

Road OPS   2009   2010   2011:

Teix           882     728     810   
    Youk          933     967     667      
    Beltre        717      953     737
    AGon        1.045    980     986    

Yankee Homer "What about the RBI?"

RISP       2009    2010    2011:

Teix      872      963      952
    Youk    1.075    913      991
    Beltre             1.011
    AGon                          924

Post season OPS Teix:

2009     593
    2010     544
    2011     563

Cat got your tongue Mazz?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira?

How could he? We once wanted him and came close, but we have A-Gon now. You expect him to go after A-Gon and his religious preferences and then get burned at the stake for it the next day. Not to mention that Texiera plays for the Yanks and he writes for the Sox so he would have to do a comparison piece with A-Gon and that wouldn't make the Sox look bad, so why would he do that? 

As far as the stats I am very surprised guys like Choo and even Werth have better OPS numbers. However, by the end of the season Tex will have the HR and RBI numbers that even guys like McCutchen won't get to. However, damn, a guy like McCutchen would look sweet in a Sox uni! Not that will happen. Although, I wish we got a guy like Willingham during the off season over the likes of Sweney and Ross.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira?:
    [QUOTE]How could he? We once wanted him and came close, but we have A-Gon now. You expect him to go after A-Gon and his religious preferences and then get burned at the stake for it the next day. Not to mention that Texiera plays for the Yanks and he writes for the Sox so he would have to do a comparison piece with A-Gon and that wouldn't make the Sox look bad, so why would he do that?  As far as the stats I am very surprised guys like Choo and even Werth have better OPS numbers. However, by the end of the season Tex will have the HR and RBI numbers that even guys like McCutchen won't get to. However, damn, a guy like McCutchen would look sweet in a Sox uni! Not that will happen. Although, I wish we got a guy like Willingham during the off season over the likes of Sweney and Ross.
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

Fair point

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to; Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira?:
    [QUOTE]Mazz bleated endlessly on about Teix before and after he was a FA, blaming Henry as if players have no choice.  Maybe Mazz has gone quiet b/c Teix aint a superstar profile (Hank loves Teix too) any more.  In his defense, Teix is a rare example of a position player who peaked early. Players with higher OPS and/or wRC+ (2010 to now) than Teix: Billy Butler,  Andrew McCutchen, Shin Sho Choo,  Rickie Weeks,   Jayson Werth, and  Josh Willingham. Road OPS   2009   2010   2011: Teix           882     728     810    Youk           933     967     667       Beltre        717       953     737 AGon        1.045    980      986     Yankee Homer "What about the RBI?" RISP       2009    2010    2011: Teix      872      963      952 Youk     1.075    913      991 Beltre             1.011 AGon                          924 Post season OPS Teix: 2009     593 2010     544 2011     563 Cat got your tongue Mazz?
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Mazz is a fraud.  Ever since he got the radio gig, he's been mailing it in.  I was hoping that he would provide some insight, but all he does is repeat the same stuff everyoe else is saying. 

The worst is that he writes his column to provide fodder for his radio show.

He's another one that seems to have made a deal with the devil - he's on TV and the radio and he has the looks and voice for neither.  At least bring some fresh insight and not just echo Felger, who at least has the looks and voice for TV and Radio.

Whenever Mazz gets on a rant, his voice gets so high that my dog starts to howl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Most of the writers know very little about BB.  Tex was a weak contract at the time, and now, but he got lucky because the NYY had no 1B.  It was either the weak contract with Tex, or they go with Swisher or Giambi.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira?:
    [QUOTE]Mazz bleated endlessly on about Teix before and after he was a FA, blaming Henry as if players have no choice.  Maybe Mazz has gone quiet b/c Teix aint a superstar profile (Hank loves Teix too) any more.  In his defense, Teix is a rare example of a position player who peaked early. Players with higher OPS and/or wRC+ (2010 to now) than Teix: Billy Butler,  Andrew McCutchen, Shin Sho Choo,  Rickie Weeks,   Jayson Werth, and  Josh Willingham. Road OPS   2009   2010   2011: Teix           882     728     810    Youk           933     967     667       Beltre        717       953     737 AGon        1.045    980      986     Yankee Homer "What about the RBI?" RISP       2009    2010    2011: Teix      872      963      952 Youk     1.075    913      991 Beltre             1.011 AGon                          924 Post season OPS Teix: 2009     593 2010     544 2011     563 Cat got your tongue Mazz?
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Tom,
    In hindsight I think both teams are happy with how things worked out. At the end of the day Texiera chose to sign with the Yankees. Which was his right to do so. Not sure that anyone in New York, to include the owners, players or fans are bemoaning his signing, even though his numbers have been on decline.

Like many Sox fans I was disapointed when it appeared that Texiera was on the cusp of signing a contract with the Sox. Only to leave Henry at the alter and instead sign with our arch enemy in the Evil Empire. The circumstances of which have been discussed at nauseum, both here and in the local and national news. So I won't, in the interest of wasting precious brain cells. Entering into a protracted debate once more. What's done is done...

As for Texiera recent maliase at the plate...I think part of the reason he chose to sign with New York was the allure of hitting in Yankee Stadium. Due to the righthanded dominance of pitching in the game, as a switch hitter he would bat from the left side of plate in 70% of his total at bats for a season with more than half of those in the house that George built. Unfortunately what he has done, not unlike Giambi before him is become to pull centric from the leftside and the results have seen his BA drop each year since...My guess is that had he chose Fenway and continued to use the middle of the field (See Agon). A park where lefties are rewarded for using the whole field, when what is a can of corn at Yankee Stadium is a wall ball double at Fenway. I would venture to guess that had he signed with the Sox, today his BA and stats would look more like his career norms before signing with the Yankees.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I would venture to guess that had he signed with the Sox, today his BA and stats would look more like his career norms before signing with the Yankees

Hey BT

I agree with the pull happy theory at home,  but his road numbers are the bigger problem.  He gets paid like a superstar but has not hit like one on the road as a NYY.

My beef is more with Mazz (and Hank) telling us how Sox management blew it.  The NYY fan sites are beginning to grumble about his numbers, but he has built up a lot of good will with the WS ring and his D.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

4 more years!  4 more years!  4 more years!   heh heh heh

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Tom, In hindsight I think both teams are happy with how things worked out. At the end of the day Texiera chose to sign with the Yankees. Which was his right to do so. Not sure that anyone in New York, to include the owners, players or fans are bemoaning his signing, even though his numbers have been on decline. Like many Sox fans I was disapointed when it appeared that Texiera was on the cusp of signing a contract with the Sox. Only to leave Henry at the alter and instead sign with our arch enemy in the Evil Empire. The circumstances of which have been discussed at nauseum, both here and in the local and national news. So I won't, in the interest of wasting precious brain cells. Entering into a protracted debate once more. What's done is done... As for Texiera recent maliase at the plate...I think part of the reason he chose to sign with New York was the allure of hitting in Yankee Stadium. Due to the righthanded dominance of pitching in the game, as a switch hitter he would bat from the left side of plate in 70% of his total at bats for a season with more than half of those in the house that George built. Unfortunately what he has done, not unlike Giambi before him is become to pull centric from the leftside and the results have seen his BA drop each year since...My guess is that had he chose Fenway and continued to use the middle of the field (See Agon). A park where lefties are rewarded for using the whole field, when what is a can of corn at Yankee Stadium is a wall ball double at Fenway. I would venture to guess that had he signed with the Sox, today his BA and stats would look more like his career norms before signing with the Yankees.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Really an insightful post. Just to add a bit ... I think the biggest knock on Teixeira ... more than the lower BA and OBP; is his playoff performance for the last 3 years. As good as the Yankees are; very few proven playoff performers. Swisher, Teixeira, Arod - all big bats -- all big question marks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Really an insightful post. Just to add a bit ... I think the biggest knock on Teixeira ... more than the lower BA and OBP; is his playoff performance for the last 3 years. As good as the Yankees are; very few proven playoff performers. Swisher, Teixeira, Arod - all big bats -- all big question marks.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

If we are going to judge them on their last 3 years performance in the playoffs then the red sawx are a team full of question marks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : If we are going to judge them on their last 3 years performance in the playoffs then the red sawx are a team full of question marks.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE] 
    nothing to do with the red sox - this is about Teixeira.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? :   nothing to do with the red sox - this is about Teixeira.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Then why bring up Arod and Swish?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? :   nothing to do with the red sox - this is about Teixeira.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Sox fans really seem to think that Yankees fans are unhappy with Tex and wish we had AGon instead, its just not the case.  We are very happy with Tex's glove which saves our staff runs all year and after all those singles last year AGon had 6 more RBI's than Tex.   AGon is a good player but I'm happy with Tex.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Sox fans really seem to think that Yankees fans are unhappy with Tex and wish we had AGon instead, its just not the case.  We are very happy with Tex's glove which saves our staff runs all year and after all those singles last year AGon had 6 more RBI's than Tex.   AGon is a good player but I'm happy with Tex.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Mikey, a serious question. Do you think NYY fans, including yourself, got the Teixeira you hoped for when he signed and/or worth 22.5 mil per year??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Mikey, a serious question, do you think NYY fans, including yourself, got the Teixeira you hoped for when he signed??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Do we wish he had a higher BA? Yup, but despite it he has remained productive.

That is, until we get to the postseason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Sox fans really seem to think that Yankees fans are unhappy with Tex and wish we had AGon instead, its just not the case.  We are very happy with Tex's glove which saves our staff runs all year and after all those singles last year AGon had 6 more RBI's than Tex.   AGon is a good player but I'm happy with Tex.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE] i don't think that's totally true...it's more about the inevitable comps...Jeter/Nomar, DP/Cano A-Rod/Youk..it's just what happens, besides there was no AG to be had...like Joe B said...Yanks had a huge need at 1B, Tex was available and he chose the Yanks...i certainly wish he was a quicker starter, and performed better during the postseason...yes the numbers are not there right now, but the guy is steady in the field, and still a power threat at the plate(moreso when Alex is hitting)...still alot to like about Tex...anyone would be nuts to not want a player like AG, but the Yanks got their guy at the time he was needed...Edit...let's remember, this isn't about Tom-uk dumping on Tex, it's about Mazz's reaction to the outcome at the time...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Mikey, a serious question. Do you think NYY fans, including yourself, got the Teixeira you hoped for when he signed and/or worth 22.5 mil per year??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I don't think ANY baseball player is worth 22.5 mil per year, I wouldn't take AGon over Tex J.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : I don't think ANY baseball player is worth 22.5 mil per year, I wouldn't take AGon over Tex J.

I'm shockedTongue out !!!....did you get the player you thought you signed??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : I'm shocked;) !!!....did you get the player you thought you signed??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Lots of power and production and a great glove, I'm happy with him.  You guys have this need to go through position by position and hope that we would want a Sox player over one of our own, while we're at it there is also no way I'd take Pedroia over Cano and I'll stay with Granderson over Ellsbury for obvious reasons.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Lots of power and production and a great glove, I'm happy with him.  You guys have this need to go through position by position and hope that we would want a Sox player over one of our own, while we're at it there is also no way I'd take Pedroia over Cano.

Your first sentence answered my question. I don't think it's fair to compare players, as I dont people. They're individuals with weaknesses and strengths. That said, as I am with ours, which is expected as a fan

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Your first sentence answered my question. I don't think it's fair to compare players, as I dont people. They're individuals with weakness and strengths. That said, as I am with ours, which is expected as a fan
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I'd expect you to say that and I have no issue with that nor do I have the need to start a thread over this as someone earlier did, I just saw it and commented. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey Mazz, why are you so quiet on Teixeira? : Your first sentence answered my question. I don't think it's fair to compare players, as I dont people. They're individuals with weaknesses and strengths. That said, as I am with ours, which is expected as a fan
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well said. Both Agon & Texeira are very good players. There is no doubt that Texeira has not done well in the playoffs. Hopefully we will see how Agon handles the AL playoffs this year.

Sections
Shortcuts