Hey Softy...FACE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Hey Softy...FACE

In response to makonikyman's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Lester excellent out of the gate but if he repeats his last two performances for the next few starts it is a game changer.... need he and Clay to have their best seasons ever.

Doubrant will surpass Lester IMO by yrs end as the no. 2 pitcher on the staff. Lackey 3, Lester 4. In fact, if Webster keeps rolling down in AAA it would really be a good time to trade Lester and his 13m option for some nice young assets. Let's keep in mind folks.....we are REBUILDING...record or no record in April. 

Bold!

The guy with a constant WHIP of over 1.400 is not likely to rise in the starter slot chart.

I just see Doubrant getting better ( with J.F s help ) and Lester continuing his slide that started 2 yrs ago. Right now...Doubrant just has better STUFF than Lester and more upside. Don't know why, a guy like yourself, does not see that. 

cause he's walking more hitters now than last year, and that was what he should have been working on most. I don't see how you can't see that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

actually at this point last year Doubie has 22K and 10BB and this year has 13BB, but 29K. His stast are very close in comaprison to last year at this point. Hes got more Ks this year, but has allowed a couple more runs.

Lester is typically slow out of the gate, but has done a little better this year compared to years past.

Although I would agree that I think doubie will be a solid 3-5 pitcher, I dont think he will ever reach TOTR unless its with another team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Hey daveymo, you don't post much but when you do it always brings me a laugh and a smile. You are my poster of the year!

David, 

I thought Billy806 got that award from Idiots2004 his best admirer !!

Hetch 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Lester excellent out of the gate but if he repeats his last two performances for the next few starts it is a game changer.... need he and Clay to have their best seasons ever.

Doubrant will surpass Lester IMO by yrs end as the no. 2 pitcher on the staff. Lackey 3, Lester 4. In fact, if Webster keeps rolling down in AAA it would really be a good time to trade Lester and his 13m option for some nice young assets. Let's keep in mind folks.....we are REBUILDING...record or no record in April. 

Bold!

The guy with a constant WHIP of over 1.400 is not likely to rise in the starter slot chart.

I just see Doubrant getting better ( with J.F s help ) and Lester continuing his slide that started 2 yrs ago. Right now...Doubrant just has better STUFF than Lester and more upside. Don't know why, a guy like yourself, does not see that. 

cause he's walking more hitters now than last year, and that was what he should have been working on most. I don't see how you can't see that.

Well....we ll see how the year goes. I predict that Doubrant will win more games, have a better era, and......yes moon, a lower whip than Lester at year end. I think Farrell will get through to him to pitch to contact more early in the game ( like Verlander does ) so to cut down on his bb and allow him to go longer. Not a big adjustment at all...IMO, All young hard throwers learn it. Including your boy Lester, who had a 1.65 whip his 1st yr and 1.45 his 2nd untill he figured it out, with......yup, you guessed it. John Farrell as his pitching coach

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

We are not rebuilding.  If we were rebuilding we would not have resigned Ortiz to a two year deal and we would have traded Ellsbury.  Whether or not you (or I) agree, management has picked a direction.  We are competing.

Personally, Im just happy they picked a direction.  I would have been happy with either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Bold!

When Lester is on, he throws a fastball, cutter, curveball, changeup for strikes.  He's efficient with his pitches.

Everything about Doubront screams #4 starter.  Wild at times, rarely goes six full, high WHIP.  Sure, his strikeouts show that his upside is higher....However, we've waited two years to see him take that next step....Cut down on the walks, be more efficient, locate more consistently, stop over-relying on the fastball...And to date, he hasnt made that jump.

Not saying that he's bad, just saying that he looks and has always looked like a #4 pitcher with upside to take a step forward.  Im not 100% confident that he has the mentality/make up, to put in the work and take that step.  He seems to have plateau'd at about where he is.  Which is a good #4 starter.

Trading Lester because you think Doubront is ready to take that step is too bold for me.  Doubront has come to camp out of shape 2 of the last 3 years.  Good #4 pitcher, should be better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Bold!

When Lester is on, he throws a fastball, cutter, curveball, changeup for strikes.  He's efficient with his pitches.

Everything about Doubront screams #4 starter.  Wild at times, rarely goes six full, high WHIP.  Sure, his strikeouts show that his upside is higher....However, we've waited two years to see him take that next step....Cut down on the walks, be more efficient, locate more consistently, stop over-relying on the fastball...And to date, he hasnt made that jump.

Not saying that he's bad, just saying that he looks and has always looked like a #4 pitcher with upside to take a step forward.  Im not 100% confident that he has the mentality/make up, to put in the work and take that step.  He seems to have plateau'd at about where he is.  Which is a good #4 starter.

Trading Lester because you think Doubront is ready to take that step is too bold for me.  Doubront has come to camp out of shape 2 of the last 3 years.  Good #4 pitcher, should be better.

Couldn't have said it better.

You know that the one thing Doubront has been told to work on is the BB/9 rate. He's still young enough to improve in that area, and there are many examples of wild pitchers getting a grip on the issue later in life, but I see Doubront getting worse with walks- not better. That concerns me, but has not caused me to write him off- just yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Bold!

You know that the one thing Doubront has been told to work on is the BB/9 rate. He's still young enough to improve in that area, and there are many examples of wild pitchers getting a grip on the issue later in life, but I see Doubront getting worse with walks- not better. That concerns me, but has not caused me to write him off- just yet.

Since you re the stat guru moon...could you please give us all a breakdown at Doubrant and Lester's whip, bb/9, h/9, and k/9 at the same exact amount of Ip in thier careers? I believe Felix has a little over 200 Ip to this point, so I would like to have Lester's stats at the same juncture

Thx

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bold!

Since you re the stat guru moon...could you please give us all a breakdown at Doubrant and Lester's whip, bb/9, h/9, and k/9 at the same exact amount of Ip in thier careers? I believe Felix has a little over 200 Ip to this point, so I would like to have Lester's stats at the same juncture

Thx

Doubront has 220 IP in MLB and 102 BB or 4.2 per 9. However, it is 5.0 per 9 so far this year, hence my "wrong direction" claim. It should also be noted that he had 0 BBs in his first start this year, so he has 13 BB in 18.1 IP since then (a 6.4 BB/9 rate). One reason I was shocked when a poster said he has improved on his walk rate.

After Lester's first 2 ML seasons, he had 144.1 IP and 74 BB (4.6 BB/9).

He then started the 2008 season off poorly:

April  39.2  23 BB

May    36.1  13 BB

but, then he turned it around quickly:

June  32.2  3

July   30.2  6

Aug   37.1  8

Sep    33.2  13

If you add April and May to his first 2 years:

IP 220.1

BB 110

BB/9  4.5

It was almost exactly at the 220 ML IP mark that Lester turned it around:

They were also about at the same age when they reached 220 IP (Doubront turns 26 in October).

BB/9

Age 24 2008 May to Sept: 2.0

Age 25 2.8

26: 3.6

27: 3.5

28: 3.0

29: 2.9

Like I said, Felix is still young enough to turn it around, and I have not given up on him, but not every pitcher turns it around like Lester did. Plus, I don't recall Lester ever coming to camp out of condition, in fact, he has fought his way back from cancer, so I'm not sure the comparison here is noteworthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Like I said, Felix is still young enough to turn it around, and I have not given up on him, but not every pitcher turns it around like Lester did. Plus, I don't recall Lester ever coming to camp out of condition, in fact, he has fought his way back from cancer, so I'm not sure the comparison here is noteworthy.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Moon, 

Turn what around ? Like you I've not given up on Doubrant but there is nothing to turn around as he's not coming back from an injury, an off season, injury, etc. He's only in his second full year of MLB. Some pitchers, players in general mature later than others so it's difficult to draw comparison based on age. Doubrant may never get better or he might mature into a very fine pitcher but based on one full year in the American League, he's still learning.

Cheers,

Hetch 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Adam's trying to find readers, so he's always clueless. The lineup the Red Sox have is as bad as it looks. This team won't be near the leaders when Lap 162 rolls around. Making the playoffs and going out early would be exceeding expectations. This is the worst Red Sox team, with a flashy one month record, that I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of Red Sox team have a great first half, then fall apart. I hope this team has a good record by the start of August, and doesn't implode with structural flaws failing. I find the probably high that this team is going to flop by the time the season ending story is correctly written. No point in writing a column about how well they are doing, on May 1.

This is a lot to note on my almost-tapped back-up drive.  

[/QUOTE]

Retrieved from back-up drive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Adam's trying to find readers, so he's always clueless. The lineup the Red Sox have is as bad as it looks. This team won't be near the leaders when Lap 162 rolls around. Making the playoffs and going out early would be exceeding expectations. This is the worst Red Sox team, with a flashy one month record, that I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of Red Sox team have a great first half, then fall apart. I hope this team has a good record by the start of August, and doesn't implode with structural flaws failing. I find the probably high that this team is going to flop by the time the season ending story is correctly written. No point in writing a column about how well they are doing, on May 1.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA!!!!  Nice find!  Sounds just like he predicted 91 wins.....  NOT!!!! It's too bad when Softy got the boot that all of his posts were deleted.  Only way to read his wrong predictions, hate speech and useless drivel are through 'replies'. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now he says that anything less than a World Championship with our payroll would be a failure.

The goalposts have moved out of the stadium!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

You guys crack me up when it comes to softy!  You can't live with him and you can't live without him LOL!

Sections
Shortcuts