Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

He just reported this on mlb network. He says there are 3 or 4 interested in him. This is surprising to say the least. I thought it was setteled that Bailey is the closer. Thoughts on Hanrahan-anyone know much about him. Looks like he has some very good numbers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Re: Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

Why would they be, I don't know...  Unless, and this is a possibility, that with a former pitching coach, as a manager, and seeing the success of the Orioles, via using a strong bullpen to bolster a mediocre team, that the Sox are looking to improve next year's win totals via, cheap (or, at least, short term) bullpen deals.

Could that be a possibility, yes.  Are they looking that way, I kind of hope not.  A good bullpen is a great thing, but bullpens are 30% scouting and personnel, and 70% luck, each year.

EDIT:  Ooops.  I forgot to answer your question. There were a lot of questions last year on the late, high pressure relievers, a guy like that would help protect against those kind of issues again.  So, yes, he would be good to have, but do they NEED him, I am not sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Championship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Joel Hanrahan has saved 76 games with a 2.24 ERA for the Pirates over the past two seasons, but his name has surfaced in numerous trade rumors this offseason and now Danny Knobler of CBS Sports tweets that the Buccos are pushing to trade him (Twitter link). The Dodgers are one possibility, according to Knobler.

Hanrahan projects to earn $6.9MM through arbitration, according to MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz. The 31-year-old is arbitration-eligible for the final time and will be a free agent following the 2013 campaign.

Hanrahan's production slipped in 2012, mainly due to a sharp increase in walks. He issued 36 free passes in 59 2/3 innings after allowing just 16 in 68 2/3 innings during the 2011 season. Hanrahan's fastball velocity also dipped from 2011, though he still averaged a very strong 95.9 mph. Teams have expressed concerns about his conditioning.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

He just reported this on mlb network. He says there are 3 or 4 interested in him. This is surprising to say the least. I thought it was setteled that Bailey is the closer. Thoughts on Hanrahan-anyone know much about him. Looks like he has some very good numbers.

Since relievers are pretty much a crap shoot from year to year, the Sox seem to feel that you can never have enough quality bullpen arms.  The Orioles got pretty far last year and a great bullpen was arguably their greatest asset... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Dump both Bailey and Melancon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I liked his approach two years ago when the Sox played an inter league series in Pittsburg. It would have been interesting to see how he would have performed if the series had been in Boston. 

Perhaps a couple of prospects--maybe Pimental and an A prospect or Kalish or Nava even up.

Or this could be a good trade partner for somewhat of a blockbuster:

Hanrahan, Wandy Rodriguez or James McDonald, and Garrett Jones for

Lester, Bailey, Kalish and Ranaudo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Hailing from Norwalk, Iowa.  FYI

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I liked his approach two years ago when the Sox played an inter league series in Pittsburg.

It would have been interesting to see how he would have performed if the series had been in Boston. 

Perhaps a couple of prospects--maybe Pimental and an A prospect or Kalish or Nava even up.

Then Trade Iggy For Jerrgens, Or Sign Lohse.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We need to either trade for a closer, sign Soriano to close or have an open competition in ST between Bailey, Taz, Mel and Aceves. I don't think we should go into the season proclaiming Bailey the closer unless he shows a different closer than we saw in Sept. 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

We need to either trade for a closer, sign Soriano to close or have an open competition in ST between Bailey, Taz, Mel and Aceves. I don't think we should go into the season proclaiming Bailey the closer unless he shows a different closer than we saw in Sept. 2012.

Soriano Pitching Against Youk. How Funny That Would Be, Not Sold On Bailey Either,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cant go on sept stats. His history says hes a solid closer and an AS to boot. His issue? Staying healthy. I would go into it with him as closer, but do what theyre doing just in case he gets hurt. When hes healthy, hes a top closer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Pick up Hanrahan, then trade Bailey plus more to LAD for SP...and not their scraps.  One of their top 5 like lilly.  Maybe possible to add Buch and get Kershaw?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

not a bad approach. this does not look like the year to upgrade our SP without paying out of the nose 1 way or another.. i guess the enxt best thing is have a crazy good BP. which is much easier to do. Especially if Bard comes back

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Pick up Hanrahan, then trade Bailey plus more to LAD for SP...and not their scraps.  One of their top 5 like lilly.  Maybe possible to add Buch and get Kershaw?

its championship or bust for LA, no way they give up their best pitcher (a true ace) for bailey and buch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

only way this makes sense is if the sox are planning on trading bailey to fill another need. otherwise, i would take my chances on bailey for 2013.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end this report regardless of the whether is gets done or not? Signals clearly that Cherington is not done putting the finishing touches on the roster. My guess is that if he adds another big arm to the back end of the pen it can't do anything but help...It's a formula that has been used with success by the Yankees the last two or three seasons to mask a suspect rotation. Get 5 or 6 innings out of the any and all of the starters not named Sabathia, then in games where they have the lead. The final 9 outs belong to the pen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It would be nice if you could find 5 guys that could throw 6 innings every night and have a pen that shuts the other team down every night for 9 outs--good point Bean.

We are set-up for that possible scenario, we just have to be sure we have the hammer or two for the ninth. Soriano fot two and $13 might be the right move for the Hammer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think it's a great idea!  We have a lot of GOOD relievers.....none are great...or even VERY good. Pitching wins games and relief pitchers win games!!  Boston was THIRD last season in blown saves with 22....YEP...TWENTY TWO!!!  I get such a kick out of all of you who say that we are OK with Bailey, Taz, Mel, Ace etc.....they were there last year and helped contribute to a VERY poor outcome in regards to the BP.  A strong BP stregthens the entire pitching staff.  Remember when the Sox of a few years ago had a cohesive group of pitchers in the pen that did everything together....all the way to playing percussion songs with water bottles in the pen??  They came in, they knew their job and they almost always came through.  It lessoned the load on the starters and SHUT THE GAME DOWN FOR THE OPPONENT!  Get a VERY GOOD or GREAT closer down and they WILL win more games!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

We have seen it over the past two years you can never have enough pitching. Sign him or Soriano and I'm damn happy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I think it's a great idea!  We have a lot of GOOD relievers.....none are great...or even VERY good. Pitching wins games and relief pitchers win games!!  Boston was THIRD last season in blown saves with 22....YEP...TWENTY TWO!!!  I get such a kick out of all of you who say that we are OK with Bailey, Taz, Mel, Ace etc.....they were there last year and helped contribute to a VERY poor outcome in regards to the BP.  A strong BP stregthens the entire pitching staff.  Remember when the Sox of a few years ago had a cohesive group of pitchers in the pen that did everything together....all the way to playing percussion songs with water bottles in the pen??  They came in, they knew their job and they almost always came through.  It lessoned the load on the starters and SHUT THE GAME DOWN FOR THE OPPONENT!  Get a VERY GOOD or GREAT closer down and they WILL win more games!!

those 22 blown saves are not a good measure of our BP last year. after a horrendous start (where most of those blown saves came from. we had what? 5 blown saves in the first 3 games?) the BP ended up being one of our strongest assest at the end of the season. once they had time together and meshed as a group they turned it on and were pretty much lights out (except when aceves was pitching and i was at fenway.... 3 blown save by ace in the 3 games i attended last season lol). Our BP in 2013 is already going to be one of the best and deepest in the game and that is doubly so if bard makes a comeback and/or we add guys like Hanrahan/Soriano

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I am 100% in favor of getting this guy.  Then dump Bailey while people still think he has "electric stuff"

By 15 July, Bailey will have as much value in a trade as Bard does.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In the end this report regardless of the whether is gets done or not? Signals clearly that Cherington is not done putting the finishing touches on the roster. My guess is that if he adds another big arm to the back end of the pen it can't do anything but help...It's a formula that has been used with success by the Yankees the last two or three seasons to mask a suspect rotation. Get 5 or 6 innings out of the any and all of the starters not named Sabathia, then in games where they have the lead. The final 9 outs belong to the pen.

Bingo! The best BP in the league won't do much good if the SP falters. We got Dempster to replace Beckett and Lackey is essentially replacing Dice-K/Cook. If the BP gets taxed too early and too often, it will be an uphill battle to be sure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

those 22 blown saves are not a good measure of our BP last year. after a horrendous start (where most of those blown saves came from. we had what? 5 blown saves in the first 3 games?) the BP ended up being one of our strongest assest at the end of the season. once they had time together and meshed as a group they turned it on and were pretty much lights out (except when aceves was pitching and i was at fenway.... 3 blown save by ace in the 3 games i attended last season lol). Our BP in 2013 is already going to be one of the best and deepest in the game and that is doubly so if bard makes a comeback and/or we add guys like Hanrahan/Soriano

Not a good measure??  in 2004 they had the fewest amount of blown saves (8 I think) and in 2007 they had the 3rd fewest (11 I think).....sorry I don't share your outlook on our strong BP....but they did nothing to prove themselves.....unless you count decent numbers in the meeningless games in the last 2 months of the season as being meaningful......

Sections
Shortcuts