Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not a bad approach. this does not look like the year to upgrade our SP without paying out of the nose 1 way or another.. i guess the enxt best thing is have a crazy good BP. which is much easier to do. Especially if Bard comes back

[/QUOTE]

this does not look like the year to upgrade our SP without paying out of the nose 1 way or another

mef

while there is truth in your statement

I'm not sure if there's much merit to it

is it not always that way ?

I don't see that changing anytime soon

I do agree if you can't improve in that  place you really want to

that you should still try to improve where U can

[/QUOTE]

your right. i should have said. "the pool" of SP we can aquire via FA is not worth paying through the nose for. the only 2 worth signing that would be a big upgrade got vastly overpaid in cash and years.

the point is, this is not the year to upgrade our SP. weak FA market means number 2-3s are getting paid 4-5+ years for double what they are worth. no thanks.

that's why i am ok with dempster.. he is exactly what we are looking for in the absense of a decent pool of SP. someone who can be had for 2 years and will eat innings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think it's a great idea!  We have a lot of GOOD relievers.....none are great...or even VERY good. Pitching wins games and relief pitchers win games!!  Boston was THIRD last season in blown saves with 22....YEP...TWENTY TWO!!!  I get such a kick out of all of you who say that we are OK with Bailey, Taz, Mel, Ace etc.....they were there last year and helped contribute to a VERY poor outcome in regards to the BP.  A strong BP stregthens the entire pitching staff.  Remember when the Sox of a few years ago had a cohesive group of pitchers in the pen that did everything together....all the way to playing percussion songs with water bottles in the pen??  They came in, they knew their job and they almost always came through.  It lessoned the load on the starters and SHUT THE GAME DOWN FOR THE OPPONENT!  Get a VERY GOOD or GREAT closer down and they WILL win more games!!

[/QUOTE]

those 22 blown saves are not a good measure of our BP last year. after a horrendous start (where most of those blown saves came from. we had what? 5 blown saves in the first 3 games?) the BP ended up being one of our strongest assest at the end of the season. once they had time together and meshed as a group they turned it on and were pretty much lights out (except when aceves was pitching and i was at fenway.... 3 blown save by ace in the 3 games i attended last season lol). Our BP in 2013 is already going to be one of the best and deepest in the game and that is doubly so if bard makes a comeback and/or we add guys like Hanrahan/Soriano

[/QUOTE]

Not a good measure??  in 2004 they had the fewest amount of blown saves (8 I think) and in 2007 they had the 3rd fewest (11 I think).....sorry I don't share your outlook on our strong BP....but they did nothing to prove themselves.....unless you count decent numbers in the meeningless games in the last 2 months of the season as being meaningful......

[/QUOTE]

if they are meaningless then why are people basing the stats of players during that time in their opinions? guess we should just forget the .118 iggy hit in that period. the numbers bailey put up coming off of injury. the horrid numbers lava had playing for the big club in the period. jacobys numbers in that time..

for most of the season our BP was the best in the game (from point A to point B). they just got off to a bad start and a sluggish finish. but if you watched the games then you saw that our BP was excellent once they ironed out the kinks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think it's a great idea!  We have a lot of GOOD relievers.....none are great...or even VERY good. Pitching wins games and relief pitchers win games!!  Boston was THIRD last season in blown saves with 22....YEP...TWENTY TWO!!!  I get such a kick out of all of you who say that we are OK with Bailey, Taz, Mel, Ace etc.....they were there last year and helped contribute to a VERY poor outcome in regards to the BP.  A strong BP stregthens the entire pitching staff.  Remember when the Sox of a few years ago had a cohesive group of pitchers in the pen that did everything together....all the way to playing percussion songs with water bottles in the pen??  They came in, they knew their job and they almost always came through.  It lessoned the load on the starters and SHUT THE GAME DOWN FOR THE OPPONENT!  Get a VERY GOOD or GREAT closer down and they WILL win more games!!

[/QUOTE]

those 22 blown saves are not a good measure of our BP last year. after a horrendous start (where most of those blown saves came from. we had what? 5 blown saves in the first 3 games?) the BP ended up being one of our strongest assest at the end of the season. once they had time together and meshed as a group they turned it on and were pretty much lights out (except when aceves was pitching and i was at fenway.... 3 blown save by ace in the 3 games i attended last season lol). Our BP in 2013 is already going to be one of the best and deepest in the game and that is doubly so if bard makes a comeback and/or we add guys like Hanrahan/Soriano

[/QUOTE]

Not a good measure??  in 2004 they had the fewest amount of blown saves (8 I think) and in 2007 they had the 3rd fewest (11 I think).....sorry I don't share your outlook on our strong BP....but they did nothing to prove themselves.....unless you count decent numbers in the meeningless games in the last 2 months of the season as being meaningful......

[/QUOTE]

if they are meaningless then why are people basing the stats of players during that time in their opinions? guess we should just forget the .118 iggy hit in that period. the numbers bailey put up coming off of injury. the horrid numbers lava had playing for the big club in the period. jacobys numbers in that time..

for most of the season our BP was the best in the game (from point A to point B). they just got off to a bad start and a sluggish finish. but if you watched the games then you saw that our BP was excellent once they ironed out the kinks

[/QUOTE]

A lousy start and a lousy end makes for a solid BP season??  OK....I stand corected.... my bad...they played well for 2 months.  You win!  They're amazing!!!!!!!  Wow.....the clouds opened finally.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Championship.

[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? He pitched for Pirates, NL. If they do sign him, it's more patchworking of previous mistakes. In other words.

Cherington = Clueless

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pick up Hanrahan, then trade Bailey plus more to LAD for SP...and not their scraps.  One of their top 5 like lilly.  Maybe possible to add Buch and get Kershaw?

[/QUOTE]

Dumbest post every. Repeating, "Maybe possible to add Buch and get Kershaw?"
    Please.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A lousy start and a lousy end makes for a solid BP season??  OK....I stand corected.... my bad...they played well for 2 months.  You win!  They're amazing!!!!!!!  Wow.....the clouds opened finally.....

[/QUOTE]

it was hardly 2 months. the skid ended after the first 14 games after that they were lights out. from april 23 until about August.. and considering the crazy amout of innings they BP was forced to pitch due to the poor SP that makes it even more impressive.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like Ben should be offering you a contract to improve his bullpen...by NOT attending games!  LOL

I agree that the bullpen was the strongest part of last year's otherwise abysmal team, and that during a stretch from June to August it was very good.  But it was poor in September and horrendous in April and most of May.  Being the best part of a 69 win team is not a ringing endorsement.  If the Sox pick up Hanrahan or Soriano, so much the better.  Still rather see them get a bona fide #2 or #3 starter.  Like Dempster's chances of being better than Beckett was last season, but see him only as a good #4 guy in the rotation--an innings eater who will win about 50% of his games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ben said he wants pitchers unafraid of attacking the strike zone and it correlated with Uehara signing I believe.  Joel Hanrahan has 4.3 BB/9, 1.39 WHIP, and 2.27 SO/BB career line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Dodgers are also interested and they are in big money mode.  If they drag Ben into price war, fuhgeddaboudit, imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We need to either trade for a closer, sign Soriano to close or have an open competition in ST between Bailey, Taz, Mel and Aceves. I don't think we should go into the season proclaiming Bailey the closer unless he shows a different closer than we saw in Sept. 2012.

[/QUOTE]

Soriano Pitching Against Youk. How Funny That Would Be, Not Sold On Bailey Either,

[/QUOTE]

I guess Ben traded Reddick for nothing now that Sweeney is gone  and Bailey struggled badly when he came up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He just reported this on mlb network. He says there are 3 or 4 interested in him. This is surprising to say the least. I thought it was setteled that Bailey is the closer. Thoughts on Hanrahan-anyone know much about him. Looks like he has some very good numbers.

[/QUOTE]

Hanrahan is a beast. Id love to see the Sox get him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#sh7WiikvXwQU0b0g.99

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Having tackled the offense, defense, starting pitching, and catching in the offseason, the Red Sox are now trying to improve their bullpen.

Pittsburgh closer Joel Hanrahan appears to be their top target, and a major league source has confirmed a report by CBSSports.com that they have engaged in trade talks with the Pirates.

The Red Sox have long admired Hanrahan, a righthander whose 2012 season wasn’t as good as 2011, when he earned 40 saves with a 1.83 ERA and 1.049 WHIP. Hanrahan walked only 16 batters in 2011, but walked 36 in 2012, when he had 36 saves with a 2.72 ERA and 1.274 WHIP.

Because of his control issues, some of Hanrahan’s saves last season were of the heart-attack variety. The Sox tried to get Hanrahan, who has a tremendous slider, in 2010 but could not swing a deal.

The Red Sox are said to be competing with the Dodgers for Hanrahan. The Pirates are looking for a starting pitcher, and the Sox would possibly give up Franklin Morales or Alfredo Aceves. The Pirates may be thinking more along the lines of Felix Doubront, which would be a deal-breaker, according to the major league source.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

only way this makes sense is if we are trading bailey in a deal for a LF or a SP. No need for hanrahan and bailey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Hanrahan had a lot of red flags last year. Well, call them pink flags. Huge rise in walks. Very bad September. Incredibly lucky[BABIP 225] and [LOB%  89.7]. Road WHIP well over 1.5 and a Fangraphs WAR of -0.4. Those numbers make me wonder about him. And 7+ million makes me lean no. Doubront would make me angry.

Here is hoping that these rumors are to get Brian Wilson to sign for simply Benji's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#sh7WiikvXwQU0b0g.99[/QUOTE]

I'd be fine with Aceves...no way I'd give them Doubront or Morales

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Aceves or Morales or Doubie too much to give for a 1 year rental.

He will be making a minimum of $5 M--for the difference I would be inclined to go for Soriano, a proven closer in the AL East  and keep the pitchers mentioned perhaps for a better trade opportunity.

It appears once teams get into trade talks the deal is all but done.

Here's a  trade scenario:

Hanrahan, Wandy Rodriguez or James McDonald, and Garrett Jones for

Lester, Bailey, Kalish and Ranaudo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

I don't think they're eating rid of Lester.  Good idea though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What makes anyone think that another team doesn't want to wait to see Bailey pitch in spring training or regular season before trading for him. Same with Lackey.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree....emotional, sell low decisions are the worst.  If someone thinks Bailey and Lackey have little chance post-injury to return to their previous high performances, why would another team with their dozens of professional doctors, scouts and experienced baseball executives be likely to offer anything of value?

Serious question:  If the Yankees had signed Lackey to the same contract in terms of money, years and the TJ clause, had the same poor 2010 for them, the same disasterous 2011, and a year off in 2012 under the knife what Sox players would you offer for him in trade?  No opt out clause on this, I wouldn't trade for him either....the point being if you had to offer something that's what you'd expect in return.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Me?  I would only offer spare parts with little/no value.....Nava, Ciriaco, Gomez, and other sundry AAAA players.  No prospects.

As I've posted before, I think there is a realistic chance Lackey will recover from TJ to be a decent 3/4 starter for 3 years (the third more or less free) i.e. 200 IP, 1.3 WHIP, etc.  If that happens his value will vastly exceed what we'd get for him now in trade;  if not, it's another sunk cost to write off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

This is it on Lackey.  All these hurdles, if he doesn't show up without his gut and pitch better he really is a loser.

he could surprise us all.  Or disappoint.

i still treade for hanrahan and then already have Baileynand others sent in a trade elsewhere.  Seems like Seattle, Sand Diego, or maybe LA could be spots for Salty, Bailey?

Sections
Shortcuts