Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Heyman says Red Sox are interested in Hanrahan

In response to NegativeTrollsAbound's comment:

This is it on Lackey.  All these hurdles, if he doesn't show up without his gut and pitch better he really is a loser.

he could surprise us all.  Or disappoint.

i still treade for hanrahan and then already have Baileynand others sent in a trade elsewhere.  Seems like Seattle, Sand Diego, or maybe LA could be spots for Salty, Bailey?

So if his elbow doesn't recover he's a loser?  Like Gale Sayers, Lou Gehrig and Sandy Koufax?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

If his elbow is an issue then fine.  If he's out of shape, gets hit like Chuck Rainey and scowls at other players it will only get worse for him.

im hopeful for Lavkey's success.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

i still treade for hanrahan and then already have Baileynand others sent in a trade elsewhere.  Seems like Seattle, Sand Diego, or maybe LA could be spots for Salty, Bailey?

The Mariners have no need for Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Andrew Bailey ... I doubt the Padres and Dodgers would have much interest in two players who are projected to earn $3.9 million each next season and who remain under their team's control for only one and two years, respectively.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hill, what do you think of a Salty (plus maybe a little cash) for Seth Smith trade?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

From what just read the Pirates are looking for a starting pitcher. The Sox are offering Morales Acevez or Doubront. Doubront apparently can get the deal done. This makes sense Doubront is the best pick for Pirates, but then the Sox will need to rely on Morales or Acevez as starters. Unless BC has planned to get another starter via FA.

Personally, I would try to make a deal with Morales or Acevez, with a prospect for Hanrahan. Trading Bailey could be an option but not necessary. It will not hurt the Sox having 2 closers in the pen and Bailey staying in the bull pen will be extra depth. Hanrahan Bailey Uhuera and Tazawa will be a strong late inning relief personnel. If Lester can get back into his original form by eating up innings, along with Dempsters consistent inning eating will be vital for the Sox rotation. With Lackey coming back after a so far sucessful surgery will hopefully be beneficial. A strong bull pen with rest can get the Sox team some extra wins.

Overall if Hanrahan can get on the Sox roster will be a positive impact, but losing Doubront could also hurt the Sox starting rotation. From starters that are left on the FA list cannot do a better job then Doubront.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Hill, what do you think of a Salty (plus maybe a little cash) for Seth Smith trade?

That would be two years of Seth Smith, with a projected 2013 salary of $3.3 million, for one year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia, with a projected 2013 salary of $3.9 million.

I suspect the A's are satisfied with their catching tandem of George Kottaras at a projected $1.1 million and Derek Norris at the league minimum. At first base the A's have Daric Barton at $1.1 million, Brandon Moss at a projected $1.4 million and Chris Carter at the league minimum. The depth chart at the Oakland website lists Smith as the designated hitter, but also has Chris Young as the backup outfielder to Yoenis Cespedes, Coco Crisp and Josh Reddick.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=oak

I don't see Saltalamacchia as a good fit in Oakland.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

If his elbow is an issue then fine.  If he's out of shape, gets hit like Chuck Rainey and scowls at other players it will only get worse for him.

im hopeful for Lavkey's success.

Sorry, I was a bit arsey there, I knew what you meant.

I have no personal knowlege of him, nor am I a big supporter....but it seems to me that a guy with an elbow problem known for at least 20 months, poor in 2010, rocked in 2011, months away from radical ligament replacement surgery was still out there with dental floss holding his elbow together, mocked and abused for pitching so poorly, gutting out a few decent starts down the stretch when he must have been in great pain...but he had some beer and chicken so he has an attitude problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

That would be two years of Seth Smith, with a projected 2013 salary of $3.3 million, for one year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia, with a projected 2013 salary of $3.9 million.

I suspect the A's are satisfied with their catching tandem of George Kottaras at a projected $1.1 million and Derek Norris at the league minimum. At first base the A's have Daric Barton at $1.1 million, Brandon Moss at a projected $1.4 million and Chris Carter at the league minimum. The depth chart at the Oakland website lists Smith as the designated hitter, but also has Chris Young as the backup outfielder to Yoenis Cespedes, Coco Crisp and Josh Reddick.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=oak

I don't see Saltalamacchia as a good fit in Oakland.

I think he is better than what they have, and I did mention paying part of Salty's salary.

(I'd also throw in Nava, but am not sure they'd want him.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:

This would be a good pick up and would allow the Sox to get rid of Aceves. We may not know exactly how Bailey will work out but with 100% certainty we do know what Aceves is like. Time to go.

I don't know what Aceves is like.  What do you base your judgement on?  Stories you've read in the newspapers?  A handful of actions/expressions you've seen on television or at the park from 100-400 feet away?  Do tell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

This would be a good pick up and would allow the Sox to get rid of Aceves. We may not know exactly how Bailey will work out but with 100% certainty we do know what Aceves is like. Time to go.

I don't know what Aceves is like.  What do you base your judgement on?  Stories you've read in the newspapers?  A handful of actions/expressions you've seen on television or at the park from 100-400 feet away?  Do tell.

I would also like to hear why FlattieHater is so down on the most versatile pitcher on the Sox staff. You must have liked BobbyV. Until the Dodger trade and his unfortunate problem initiated by BV he was doing remarkably well as the closer. This guys WHIP is still 1.1 after a disastrous last two months of the season. This is one guy I would not trade especially for a one year rental unless you were getting a #2 starter in return. Trade Doubie or Lester for Hanrahan plus, plus---don't give up on Aceves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In the end this report regardless of the whether is gets done or not? Signals clearly that Cherington is not done putting the finishing touches on the roster. My guess is that if he adds another big arm to the back end of the pen it can't do anything but help...It's a formula that has been used with success by the Yankees the last two or three seasons to mask a suspect rotation. Get 5 or 6 innings out of the any and all of the starters not named Sabathia, then in games where they have the lead. The final 9 outs belong to the pen.

Either that or he screwed up big time by thinking Bailey could be our closer. This is more likely the case.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

We have seen it over the past two years you can never have enough pitching. Sign him or Soriano and I'm damn happy.

Sure, lets beef up the BP so we'll have the best BP in the league for mopping up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I think it's a great idea!  We have a lot of GOOD relievers.....none are great...or even VERY good. Pitching wins games and relief pitchers win games!!  Boston was THIRD last season in blown saves with 22....YEP...TWENTY TWO!!!  I get such a kick out of all of you who say that we are OK with Bailey, Taz, Mel, Ace etc.....they were there last year and helped contribute to a VERY poor outcome in regards to the BP.  A strong BP stregthens the entire pitching staff.  Remember when the Sox of a few years ago had a cohesive group of pitchers in the pen that did everything together....all the way to playing percussion songs with water bottles in the pen??  They came in, they knew their job and they almost always came through.  It lessoned the load on the starters and SHUT THE GAME DOWN FOR THE OPPONENT!  Get a VERY GOOD or GREAT closer down and they WILL win more games!!

This could work, provided we pull the SPs before the game gets out of hand.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

We know it is about shortening the game. So if we have a strong BP and we can shorten any game to 6 innings is that not a good thing. 

Seriously if all can pitch to their abilities that would make it easier on the SP.

Bard, Melancon, Bailey, Aceves, Hanrahan, Tazawa, Breslow, and Uehera this group could make every game a 6 inning game for the starters

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Think about this staff. To me they are handled like a National League Staff. Meaning, they go 6 innings, or Pitch count, then they are gone. Very smart move to get a very good BP if you have this philosophy. Who on this staff are you confident to go Nine Innings on a steady basis?

Bettter yet, who on this staff can go 5 innings without giving up 5 runs?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Amazing! We traded Reddick for a premier closer (or so we were told), now, after 9 appearances, we are looking to get someone else to close out games.

Yup! Ben sure knows what he is doing. And nearly everyone on this forum is perfectly fine with his do-overs. He gets as many passes as the Big "O"!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Amazing! We traded Reddick for a premier closer (or so we were told), now, after 9 appearances, we are looking to get someone else to close out games.

Yup! Ben sure knows what he is doing. And nearly everyone on this forum is perfectly fine with his do-overs. He gets as many passes as the Big "O"!

Look no one knew he'd get hurt. So Ben wants to get the BP another closer and you complain. IMO having 2 closers is better than one. He!! I hope they also sign Soriano.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Why don't we expand the deal a little and try and get Garrett Jones along with Hanrahan?  He'd fit in nicely as a LH complement to Gomes, and would give us a nice platoon in Left.  Jones can also play 1st, so he fits what BC said he is looking for.

We'd probably have to trade Doubront and throw in a prospect or two, but I think the trade could work nicely for us.  They could then go ahead and sign Kyle Loshe, who isn't getting much action, to  take Doubront's spot in the rotation.

Pittsburgh has all three OF spots filled and have Gaby Sanchez to play 1st, so we could probably get Jones from them for the right offer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:

Why don't we expand the deal a little and try and get Garrett Jones along with Hanrahan?  He'd fit in nicely as a LH complement to Gomes, and would give us a nice platoon in Left.  Jones can also play 1st, so he fits what BC said he is looking for.

We'd probably have to trade Doubront and throw in a prospect or two, but I think the trade could work nicely for us.  They could then go ahead and sign Kyle Loshe, who isn't getting much action, to  take Doubront's spot in the rotation.

Pittsburgh has all three OF spots filled and have Gaby Sanchez to play 1st, so we could probably get Jones from them for the right offer.

not a bad plan. although i'd hate to be rid of doobie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He!! I hope they also sign Soriano.

I can see why you think "money doesn't matter". 

Spending money and players on upgrading our one strong area (the pen) makes no sense to me.

Instead, we should be trading our pen depth and a starter (plus maybe Salty)  for a better starter.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

USA Today's John Perrotto hears that the Pirates are targeting Dee Gordon and Jose Iglesias in the Joel Hanrahan trade talks.

The Pirates clearly aren't satisfied with the offense Clint Barmes gives them, but Gordon and Iglesias don't appear ready to provide much at the plate, either. Obviously they'd be gambling on potential upside while also hopefully finding a long-term solution at the position. It appears pretty likely at this point that Hanrahan will be traded, with Jason Grilli taking over as closer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

See the link below--I should have been more specific his CAREER WHIP is 1.15 even after a disastrous last two months.

http://stats.boston.com/mlb/playerstats.asp?id=8336

If Aceves goes the Sox have discarded perhaps the most flexible pitcher on their staff. I would like to see Bailey stay and perhaps move Melancon to  more of a low pressure team like Miami or back to Houston or Colorado.

I base it on W-L, ERA, and blown saves and for MadMc-- 1.32 WHIP is not 1.1 or even close.

See the link below--I should have been more specific his CAREER WHIP is 1.15 even after a disastrous last two months.

http://stats.boston.com/mlb/playerstats.asp?id=8336

If Aceves goes the Sox have discarded perhaps the most flexible pitcher on their staff. I would like to see Bailey stay and perhaps move Melancon to  more of a low pressure team like Miami or back to Houston or Colorado.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As I have said before, I'd love for Iggy to be our #1 SS, but if we won't play him, I'm all for dealing him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

We know it is about shortening the game. So if we have a strong BP and we can shorten any game to 6 innings is that not a good thing. 

Seriously if all can pitch to their abilities that would make it easier on the SP.

Bard, Melancon, Bailey, Aceves, Hanrahan, Tazawa, Breslow, and Uehera this group could make every game a 6 inning game for the starters

I would be in favor of moving Bard and Melancon and bring in Hanrahan and Soriano--never have enough pitching. 

Pen of Soriano, Hanrahan, Ue, Aceves, Morales, Miller, Breslow and Bailey. That would be a monster pen.

Sections
Shortcuts