High Demand, Bad supply

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

High Demand, Bad supply

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/21206921/in-the-winter-of-lost-logic-players-who-came-up-small-or-medium-are-getting-big-deals

this is a great article by Jon Heyman on the awful free agent class getting big paydays. Brings up some great points. Also IDK about any of you but is love AJ Perzi....whatever 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Re: High Demand, Bad supply

also someone post on how to put the hyperlink in a comment..... I mean I know how but, you know, for those that dont.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It may be an awful free agent class , but it does include one of the best all around players in the game. Should we shy away from him and spend the money on a few " not quite so awful " guys ? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It may be an awful free agent class , but it does include one of the best all around players in the game. Should we shy away from him and spend the money on a few " not quite so awful " guys ? 

[/QUOTE]

Yes spend some money on good players and stay away from those ( one of the best all around guys) Because............Ya know what happens ?? Those one of the best all around guys becomes not only filthy rich but also loses his best all around tag and were stuck with him for years .Have we not been down that road enough?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes spend some money on good players and stay away from those ( one of the best all around guys) Because............Ya know what happens ?? Those one of the best all around guys becomes not only filthy rich but also loses his best all around tag and were stuck with him for years .Have we not been down that road enough?

[/QUOTE]

So , are you saying that , in the long run , we will be better off with the Jonny Gomes of the world than with the Josh Hamiltons ?  Every player is different. Being " down the road " with one guy does not necessarily mean it will be the same with another. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

tHATS WHY time is ripe for a "BLOCBUSTER"  !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So , are you saying that , in the long run , we will be better off with the Jonny Gomes of the world than with the Josh Hamiltons ?  Every player is different. Being " down the road " with one guy does not necessarily mean it will be the same with another. 

[/QUOTE]

If it only happened with one guy, your point would be easierto sell.

The ovewhelming majority of players decline past their early 30s.  Some before.

Hamilton is  still a very interesting case, and clearly still on the table.  I have said all along I expect the Soxto be invovled (and they are to a minor extent, that we know of).  Everyone seems to think this guy will get 6 or 7 years and north of $160mill.  Yet no one has any clue who will put up that cash.

Like it or not, but for reasons related to available budget and the current roster, the Sox absolutely have to be considered players in the market for Hamilton, at least to all of us outsiders.  He will sign somewhere...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The current crop of FAs has several players better than what we currently have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Over the long run, everytime you sign a player for too much money, or for too long, you win less games.  If Hamilton comes with a price of $80M/4, I'm all over that.  If it is $150M/6, we have to pass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I just think we need some star power on this club. Having too many mediocre players results in a mediocre team. Other teams will sign the top players and move further ahead of us. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

I just think we need some star power on this club. Having too many mediocre players results in a mediocre team. Other teams will sign the top players and move further ahead of us. 

[/QUOTE]

Making a bad move to provide the illusion of improvement will only lead to less long-term success. As I've said all along, I don't care if we trade for a pitcher, or trade away a pitcher.  I just want positive deals.

In unique situations, I don't mind overpaying, I can't see this off-season being one of those unique circumstances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We will not have Gomes in 2015, while Hamilton would be here at age 37 in 2017 at about 25M.

Now, if JH comes with a 3-4 year and 20M tag, Id seriously consider it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You should realize that is an unanswerable question.

If the budget is unlimited, then the answer is Hamilton.

If the budget is limited, then there is still no answer, yet.

If Hamilton's cost is $80M/4, then I think it is Hamilton.  If it is $175M/7, then the answer is probably Gomes.  Was Crawford a good deal at $142M/7?  Are you happy we made the deal?  The answer to both, imo, is no.  If CC's cost was more appropriate, like $90M/6, then the answer is different.

The bottom line is that you can't just sign players regardless of cost and duration.

Sections
Shortcuts