High School prospect hitting 100 MPH on radar gun already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

High School prospect hitting 100 MPH on radar gun already

This is from a yahoo.com article.I've provided a link to read the rest of it and watch a video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/superstar-prospect-lucas-giolito-hits-100-miles-per-180318543.html

Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) High is expected to be one of the best baseball programs in the nation, if not the best altogether. There's good reason for that: The Wolverines boast a pair of pitchers who are likely the best right and left handed prospects in the nation, an unheard of feat for any program. One of those pitchers wasted no time in proving he has big plans for his senior season, hitting the ultimate golden number on the radar gun during a one-hitter season-debut: 100 miles-per-hour.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: High School prospect hitting 100 MPH on radar gun already

Imagine getting drilled in the rib cage with that heat. They would have to haul me out in a stretcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

100mph in HS?

TJS in college.

(Tommy John Surgery)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: High School prospect hitting 100 MPH on radar gun already:
    [QUOTE]100mph in HS? TJS in college. (Tommy John Surgery)
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking too.  I hope he can avoid it, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vsports. Show vsports's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: High School prospect hitting 100 MPH on radar gun already : That's what I was thinking too.  I hope he can avoid it, though.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

My thought too, sadly.  Hopefully he has some good health advisors or else some college coach is going to destroy his arm to make a name for the school.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Nevermind his college coach, can you imagine how his HS coach has treated that arm?

I'm not hoping for it, it just seems too likely. If he CAN throw 100, he's going to TRY to throw 102. If he hits 102, he'll be looking for 103. His coaches and teammates will look to him whenever they're in a pinch if he's a closer, or expect him to pitch all day if he starts.

The only way I see saving a kid's arm like this is to put him on very stroct pitch counts, and build up his arm strength from 15-18 gradually, and let the ligaments and muscles get used to working at such extreme levels. He's blessed with the recovery rate of a still growing body...that will disappear soon.

I honestly wish stories like this didn't exist, shining a national spotlight on this kid does very little good, and only puts pressure on him to perform, and on his coaches to maximize that performance.

Look at Strasburg, he's been watched and monitored for years, got to the pros at 20, and had TJS at 21. Another big, power arm. Luckily TJS surgery has evolved into a fairly routine surgery that almost guarantees 100% recovery.

I wonder how someone like Nolan Ryan would have turned out had he been around these days. Would he still have been great, or just another "coulda been"? I honestly wonder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Long ago when I was in Highschool in the mid 1960 we had a young kid in a class above mine who went undefeated his senior year. That I remember, of the 9-10 wins he had that year he had 4-5 no hitters, and typically threw hard, mostly fastballs. 

Long story to made short. He signed with Kansas City, came down with a sore arm in his first year in the minors never to be heard from again. 

Hetchinspete

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

I hit 100 MPH on the Gun yesterday--- whats the big deal?   I blew right by that Toyota Prius like a Dice K fastball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Long ago when I was in Highschool in the mid 1960 we had a young kid in a class above mine who went undefeated his senior year. That I remember, of the 9-10 wins he had that year he had 4-5 no hitters, and typically threw hard, mostly fastballs.  Long story to made short. He signed with Kansas City, came down with a sore arm in his first year in the minors never to be heard from again.  Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

All too typical unfortunately.

Nice Husky! I assume Husky, the face looks more angular than my Malamutes but I can't pick up the eye color. I love the brown color on these dogs.

Started with one malamute....got a second...2 litters, 9 pups later, we kept a third.

I would suggest a Malamute to anyone wanting a dog, I've been a lifelong dog lover, and I absolutely love this breed. A little different from huskies, but pretty close. I've often wondered why UConn wen with Siberian Huskies and not Alaskan Malamutes...maybe I wonder because I live up the road from them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I once hit a 305 yard drive, without slope, altitude, or surface bounce enhancement. My average drive is 252 yards.

My 305 drive was also in the fairway, as I have hit many of them 300 yards or more in the woods.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This kid's name - it's not Sydd Finch.... is it?  Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

It's Champman, I believe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from elendil. Show elendil's posts

[QUOTE]  I blew right by that Toyota Prius like a Dice K fastball.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

LOL, I did so as well... When I was jogging!