Hill: Make your Trade and FA Contract Offer for Ellsbury

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Hill: Make your Trade and FA Contract Offer for Ellsbury

Good question softlaw2   :)

I think we will first need to see how Ellsbury does this year.  If Ellsbury puts up 2011 numbers, then we are looking at at least a 5-year, $100 million.  

With Scott Boras as his agent, I doubt Ellsbury will allow a hometown discount.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Mariners have serious problems, which will be compounded in a few short years with the accounts payable to Fernando, I mean Felix. Ellsbury is from that area and might give you a home team discount. Regardless, since you are quick to provide names and monetary amounts regarding other player movement matters involving the Red Sox, please state what you, personally, would be willing to trade for and/or pay for Ellsbury's FA contract years.

Thank you.

Ellsbury didnt hire Scott Boras to give anyone a hometown discount

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Not too much anything the Sox have on their Roster is any good by what I read of him. Including our Farm.

I started a thread promoting the Red Sox prospects:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/6-sox-prospects-among-top100-/100/6527992

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

No way the RS go near the kind of money it will likely take to keep Ells a Red Sox.  That page has been turned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

I think we deal Ells late in the season & go with Jackie Bradley? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

I think we deal Ells late in the season & go with Jackie Bradley? 

If the Sox are out of the playoff picture, I would be shocked if they don't move Ellsbury and bring up JBJ, unless he regresses badly.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I doubt Seattle would take a chance on a 30-year-old outfielder who has played fewer games than centerfielder Franklin Gutierrez over the past three seasons.

The Mariners lack a prototypical leadoff hitter, but I suspect the M's will seek a younger solution than Jacoby Ellsbury. Shortstop prospect Brad Miller might be the best candidate to lead off in 2014 or 2015.

Much will depend on Ellsbury's 2013 season. If Ellsbury were a free agent now, I would offer only one year and $6 million (which probably would not generate a return phone call from Scott Boras).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If Bradley has anything like a decent season in the minors, there is no way Ellsbury is back in a Sox uniform in 2014, hometown discount or not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In fact, if the highest offer is from the Red Sox and is only 5% more than what the Mariners are willing to offer, I think he would remind Boras who the client is and the conflict of interest in recommending he take offers that pay Boras a higher commission for doing what the player should be smart enough to do himself.

Why would Ellsbury take a 5 percent pay cut to play in Seattle? He has only known Boston and good friends with Pedroia. He would probably stay if Seattle was only 5 percent more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

You have to love the de facto admission by Stiffy that Ells would likely command a 5yr / $100 million contract.  LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If I was a baseball player, Seattle would be on my no-trade list.   LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In fact, if the highest offer is from the Red Sox and is only 5% more than what the Mariners are willing to offer, I think he would remind Boras who the client is and the conflict of interest in recommending he take offers that pay Boras a higher commission for doing what the player should be smart enough to do himself.

Why would Ellsbury take a 5 percent pay cut to play in Seattle? He has only known Boston and good friends with Pedroia. He would probably stay if Seattle was only 5 percent more.

Yup, it makes no sense.

Okay Jacoby, here are your options-

A) You take more money, to play out the remainder of your career for the only team you played for, that typically has good playoffs prospects, plays in front of a soldout crowd every night, and is a great place to hit in.

B) You get less money, to play for a new team, that has finished last 7 of the last 9 years, with low attendance, and is tough on hitters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ellsbury's contract is Valentine's fault.   LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Last year a young Seattle Mariner team finished six games ahead of an aging Red Sox team despite disappointing seasons from former top prospects Justin Smoak, Jesus Montero and Dustin Ackley. This offseason the Seattle farm system has been consistently ranked ahead of Boston's well-regarded farm system.

Each destination has its advantages and disadvantages.

LOL ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Good question.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Last year a young Seattle Mariner team finished six games ahead of an aging Red Sox team despite disappointing seasons from former top prospects Justin Smoak, Jesus Montero and Dustin Ackley. This offseason the Seattle farm system has been consistently ranked ahead of Boston's well-regarded farm system.

LOL ;-)

You keep doing this and it hurts your creditiability. The Mariners are not at the same level even after last September. Seattle well not fare well against the top heavy AL West. The AL East has a series of questions marks. Ypu have almost become a troll about this because you won't acknowledge how bad Seattle's outlook really is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

LOL ;-)

Hello hill55   :)

The only advantage Seattle has over Boston is the cheaper cost of living.    ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

LOL ;-)

You keep doing this and it hurts your creditiability. The Mariners are not at the same level even after last September. Seattle is not fare well adjust the top heavy AL West. The AL East has a series of questions marks. Ypu have almost become a troll about this because you won't acknowledge how bad Seattle's outlook really is.

Just as many Boston fans refuse to acknowledge the potential shortcomings of an aging Red Sox team coming off a 93-loss season.

The advanced metrics have pessimistic projections for the Mariners, but at least three independent pundits see the M's as a potential surprise team in 2013:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/32910/mariners-will-be-this-years-surprise-team

http://www.billjamesonline.com/which_team_will_surprise_in_2013_/

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/hotstoneleague/2013/02/14/plesac-sees-mariners-as-surprise-team-and-hes-not-alone-but-metrics-dont-agree/

May our favorite teams bring us great joy this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

LOL ;-)

You keep doing this and it hurts your creditiability. The Mariners are not at the same level even after last September. Seattle well not fare well against the top heavy AL West. The AL East has a series of questions marks. Ypu have almost become a troll about this because you won't acknowledge how bad Seattle's outlook really is.

get off hills case man, everything he said is true... none of it is fabrication.

their "outlook" is a matter of speculation, they have a young team and a slew of great prospects. i'm sure there are plenty of teams who wish they could make that claim..

Look at the rise of the Devil Rays these past few years.... all you need is good, young starters. Seattle already has the best SP in MLB and a ton of good pitching prospects. in 2-3 years they could be perennial contenders much like the rays.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Plus he's from Oregon, not Washington.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

With AGon gone and Ortiz is serious decline, there is zero chance Ellsbury does anything remotely close to 2011 numbers. It was more about others than it was about him. A superstar does it with anyone and anywhere. Ellsbury is what his career median averages say he is.

As for 5 years and 100 million, I wonder if Hill would be willing to pay that for Ellsbury in his thirties. I seriously doubt it, but await his esteemed commentary and scientific analysis.

Exactly!!! Because EVERYONE KNOWS that Big Papi and Agone gave Ellsbury a LOT of protection in the lineup. 

Sections
Shortcuts