Hill: Make your Trade and FA Contract Offer for Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Hill: Make your Trade and FA Contract Offer for Ellsbury

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

You do realize I was mocking Stiffy's ability to draw rediculously nebulous links???

Right?

Sarcasm does not travel well on an internet forum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

This Oregon resident found your earlier post racially offensive.

Do you realize that the Oregonian, the statewide newspaper, refuses to publish the nicknames of the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams?

Are they consistent enough to not publish the nickname of my ancestors, the Celtics
    The Oregonianin fact uses the Celtics nickname for Boston's NBA team (I'll be seeing the Celtics this Sunday in Portland).

Are you offended by the inconsistency?

The Oregonian policy has been around for 21 years:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianeditors/2012/02/the_oregonian_introduced_nickn.html

Perhaps we're missing eachother?  I can't stand the Oregonian!!!  I wouldn't read that rag if you paid me!!!  On every single socio-political topic out there, pandering to the far Left wing.

Now in the midst of the worst Recession since the Great Depression, where Oregon is barely getting by, having to slash school budgets every year, what does the Oregonian think is the number one school issue????

That's right.  Ridding our state of school names like the Roseburg Indians.  This will cost school districts hundreds of thousands of dollars to change names & mascots, in a time that every penny counts. 

Oregon is really trying to give Massachusetts a run for the most liberal state.  Great priorities Oregonian.

So, where did you lose me hill???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

You do realize I was mocking Stiffy's ability to draw rediculously nebulous links???

Right?

I guess you're right.  I often think my wit is outstanding, only to realize I'm the only one who gets my jokes.  LOL 

I'll learn???

Sarcasm does not travel well on an internet forum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Very disappointing, Joe. Did you really think your post rose to the level of a joke. Of course it was. It wasn't clever, and nothing you say has ever been more than what you hear and drone. 

If it wasn't clever, why did you choose to copy it?

Joe, you are losing it. I'm the one whose been "dreaming" he would have been traded long before now. Your sarcasm is weak. You need to stop the dreaming that he'll be staying to finish becoming the next Ted Williams or Johnny Damon.

So the fact that I said he is gone led you to think I said he was staying?  Time for you to go back on your meds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Do you realize that the Oregonian, the statewide newspaper, refuses to publish the nicknames of the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams?

Are they consistent enough to not publish the nickname of my ancestors, the Celtics?

The Oregonianin fact uses the Celtics nickname for Boston's NBA team (I'll be seeing the Celtics this Sunday in Portland).

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianeditors/2012/02/the_oregonian_introduced_nickn.html

To be honest, I couldn't care less.

But I am extremely consistent.  Why ignore the Indians and Braves, but not the Chiefs?  The Redskins, which I assume is more insulting to those with a proclivity to be insulted.  The Vikings, Celtics, Canadiens, are all named after groups of people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Are they consistent enough to not publish the nickname of my ancestors, the Celtics?

Portland is a very odd place, Seattle is much more of a real city.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Seattle is not really Ellsbury's "hometown."  Madras is 5 hours from Seattle.   That is like someone from Portland, Maine calling New York City their hometown. ..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Seattle is not really Ellsbury's "hometown."  Madras is 5 hours from Seattle.   That is like someone from Portland, Maine calling New York City their hometown. ..

Syracuse is 5 hours away from boston..... can i say Beantown is my hometown??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Syracuse is 5 hours away from boston..... can i say Beantown is my hometown??

It's all still in "The People's Republic of ...", so...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Ellsbury among tops in the FA Power Rankings.....

2014 Free Agent Power Rankings Rumors
    2014 Free Agent Power Rankings By Tim Dierkes [February 11, 2013 at 12:00am CST]

Here at MLBTR, we're always looking ahead.  As the 2012-13 offseason winds down, we've already got an eye on players scheduled to reach free agency after the 2013 campaign.  The full list can be found here; enjoy our first entry in the new 2014 Free Agents Power Rankings series below.

1.  Robinson Cano.  Cano is the clear number one choice, a corner type bat at a middle infield position.  2014 will be his age 31 season, and agent Scott Boras is surely licking his chops with an eight-year megacontract in the $200MM range within his sights.  Should the Yankees allow Cano to reach the open market, I expect the Dodgers to be players.

2.  Adam Wainwright.  Wainwright stands as the best pitcher scheduled to become available after the 2013 season.  Wainwright's Tommy John surgery is firmly in the rearview mirror, having taken place two full years ago.  If he returns to a Cy Young level in 2013, he's looking at Greinke money or better.  The Cardinals, however, aim to keep Wainwright off the market by locking him up prior to Opening Day.

3.  Josh Johnson.  Here's where the rankings get debatable.  2013 is crucial for Johnson, who had a pretty good 2012 after missing much of the previous season with a shoulder injury.  Traded to the Blue Jays in November, Johnson can be among the game's best power pitchers when he's right.  He can also move down this list quickly with a serious DL stint.

4.  Jacoby Ellsbury.  Ellsbury's detractors will point to significant time missed due to rib and shoulder injuries in 2010 and '12.  On the other hand, 2014 is his age 30 season and he finished second in the 2011 MVP vote with a massive nine-win season.  With a healthy '13, Boras might be able to talk his way around Ellsbury's previous injuries.

5.  Roy Halladay.  One of the game's best pitchers from 2006-11, Doc slipped in 2012 due to a shoulder injury.  Halladay will be 37 for most of the 2014 season, but he doesn't operate on the same plane as other pitchers.  Assuming he doesn't rack up 259 regular season innings this year, Halladay's 2014 option will not vest and he'll be a free agent.  His potential impact this year remains large.

6.  Shin-Soo Choo.  Choo was sent from the Indians to the Reds as part of a three-team December trade.  An arbitration hearing looms prior to his contract year season.  He may be out of his element, playing in the National League and manning center field regularly for the first time in his big league career.  One knock he'll try to overcome is his struggles against lefties -- he's hit just .239/.329/.318 against them over the last three years.  Still, he could put up strong offensive numbers overall atop the Reds' lineup.

7.  Brian McCann.  McCann underwent shoulder surgery in mid-October, but the Braves had enough confidence to exercise his $12MM option the following month.  If he returns to form, he'll be an elite offensive catcher playing at age 30 in 2014.  He has a chance to move up this list once he returns from the injury.

8.  Tim Lincecum.  There was a time not long ago that Lincecum was a candidate to become baseball's first $200MM pitcher, with a pair of Cy Youngs under his belt.  However, 2012 was a career-worst season for Lincecum, who averaged below 91 miles per hour on his fastball, walked 4.4 per nine innings, and allowed nearly a hit per inning.  Since he'll pitch at age 30 in 2014 and has never been hurt, he gets the benefit of the doubt for now and a top ten spot.

9.  Matt Garza.  Garza had also been cruising toward a big payday until 2012, when an elbow injury derailed his season.  He's another guy who will play at age 30 in '14 and is entering a pivotal contract year.  A midseason trade could benefit Garza greatly, erasing the issue of a qualifying offer.

10.  Hunter Pence.  Pence hit 24 home runs and drove in 104 runs in 2012, but it was still an off-year as he struggled mightily upon being traded to the Giants.  If he posts an offensive line around his career average, he'll be in good shape entering free agency aside from a potential qualifying offer concern.

These rankings will change significantly throughout the season, with so many players entering critical contract years.  Some players with a chance to muscle their way into my top ten include Curtis Granderson, Nelson Cruz, Carlos Gomez, Corey Hart, and Phil Hughes.  I'm not ranking Ben Zobrist, Chris B. Young, Jon Lester, or James Shields here in anticipation of their club options being exercised after the season

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

2014 Free Agent Power Rankings By Tim Dierkes[February 11, 2013 at 12:00am CST]

Here at MLBTR, we're always looking ahead.  As the 2012-13 offseason winds down, we've already got an eye on players scheduled to reach free agency after the 2013 campaign.  The full list can be found here; enjoy our first entry in the new 2014 Free Agents Power Rankings series below.

1.  Robinson Cano.  Cano is the clear number one choice, a corner type bat at a middle infield position.  2014 will be his age 31 season, and agent Scott Boras is surely licking his chops with an eight-year megacontract in the $200MM range within his sights.  Should the Yankees allow Cano to reach the open market, I expect the Dodgers to be players.

2.  Adam Wainwright.  Wainwright stands as the best pitcher scheduled to become available after the 2013 season.  Wainwright's Tommy John surgery is firmly in the rearview mirror, having taken place two full years ago.  If he returns to a Cy Young level in 2013, he's looking at Greinke money or better.  The Cardinals, however, aim to keep Wainwright off the market by locking him up prior to Opening Day.

3.  Josh Johnson.  Here's where the rankings get debatable.  2013 is crucial for Johnson, who had a pretty good 2012 after missing much of the previous season with a shoulder injury.  Traded to the Blue Jays in November, Johnson can be among the game's best power pitchers when he's right.  He can also move down this list quickly with a serious DL stint.

4.  Jacoby Ellsbury.  Ellsbury's detractors will point to significant time missed due to rib and shoulder injuries in 2010 and '12.  On the other hand, 2014 is his age 30 season and he finished second in the 2011 MVP vote with a massive nine-win season.  With a healthy '13, Boras might be able to talk his way around Ellsbury's previous injuries.

5.  Roy Halladay.  One of the game's best pitchers from 2006-11, Doc slipped in 2012 due to a shoulder injury.  Halladay will be 37 for most of the 2014 season, but he doesn't operate on the same plane as other pitchers.  Assuming he doesn't rack up 259 regular season innings this year, Halladay's 2014 option will not vest and he'll be a free agent.  His potential impact this year remains large.

6.  Shin-Soo Choo.  Choo was sent from the Indians to the Reds as part of a three-team December trade.  An arbitration hearing looms prior to his contract year season.  He may be out of his element, playing in the National League and manning center field regularly for the first time in his big league career.  One knock he'll try to overcome is his struggles against lefties -- he's hit just .239/.329/.318 against them over the last three years.  Still, he could put up strong offensive numbers overall atop the Reds' lineup.

7.  Brian McCann.  McCann underwent shoulder surgery in mid-October, but the Braves had enough confidence to exercise his $12MM option the following month.  If he returns to form, he'll be an elite offensive catcher playing at age 30 in 2014.  He has a chance to move up this list once he returns from the injury.

8.  Tim Lincecum.  There was a time not long ago that Lincecum was a candidate to become baseball's first $200MM pitcher, with a pair of Cy Youngs under his belt.  However, 2012 was a career-worst season for Lincecum, who averaged below 91 miles per hour on his fastball, walked 4.4 per nine innings, and allowed nearly a hit per inning.  Since he'll pitch at age 30 in 2014 and has never been hurt, he gets the benefit of the doubt for now and a top ten spot.

9.  Matt Garza.  Garza had also been cruising toward a big payday until 2012, when an elbow injury derailed his season.  He's another guy who will play at age 30 in '14 and is entering a pivotal contract year.  A midseason trade could benefit Garza greatly, erasing the issue of a qualifying offer.

10.  Hunter Pence.  Pence hit 24 home runs and drove in 104 runs in 2012, but it was still an off-year as he struggled mightily upon being traded to the Giants.  If he posts an offensive line around his career average, he'll be in good shape entering free agency aside from a potential qualifying offer concern.

These rankings will change significantly throughout the season, with so many players entering critical contract years.  Some players with a chance to muscle their way into my top ten include Curtis Granderson, Nelson Cruz, Carlos Gomez, Corey Hart, and Phil Hughes.  I'm not ranking Ben Zobrist, Chris B. Young, Jon Lester, or James Shields here in anticipation of their club options being exercised after the season

mmmmmmmmm The Doc. despite the age, i would jump for joy if BC signed him.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

If I was a baseball player, Seattle would be on my no-trade list.   LOL

Last year a young Seattle Mariner team finished six games ahead of an aging Red Sox team despite disappointing seasons from former top prospects Justin Smoak, Jesus Montero and Dustin Ackley. This offseason the Seattle farm system has been consistently ranked ahead of Boston's well-regarded farm system.

Each destination has its advantages and disadvantages.

LOL ;-)

Hello hill55   :)

The only advantage Seattle has over Boston is the cheaper cost of living.    ;)

every city has that advantage.

Have you checked prices in SF or NY lately?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

2014 Free Agent Power Rankings By Tim Dierkes[February 11, 2013 at 12:00am CST]

mmmmmmmmm The Doc. despite the age, i would jump for joy if BC signed him.

i hear you...Doc's named jumped out at me also

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Seattle is one of my favorite cities. I like Boston a lot too. Please don't comment on the city unless you have been there. Great places to eat and drink and the tram is all of 2 bucks directly from the airport to downtown. People there are great! However, it does rain a lot, but the many microbrew pubs make one overlook that.

The AL West is going to be tough, but I don't think that the A's or Rangers will do as well this year. Angels look pretty tough if Pujols starts strong and they hide the energy drinks from Hamilton. But then again, the AL West has the Astros, so Seattle should spot the Red Sox 9 wins (at least) before comparisons are made between records for 2013. AL East has no slouches like the Astros.

I would like to see K Morales play well. Maybe the RS can get him as an FA next year.

In my opinion Ellsbury is definitely gone. It would help a lot if he plays the full season this year. Either he gets hurt (hopefully not), and JBJ takes his place, or he is healthy and has a great season, in which case, he will cost too much. Either way, JBJ takes over next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trading him for Bauer would have been the best plan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Seattle is one of my favorite cities. I like Boston a lot too. Please don't comment on the city unless you have been there. Great places to eat and drink and the tram is all of 2 bucks directly from the airport to downtown. People there are great! However, it does rain a lot, but the many microbrew pubs make one overlook that.
    The AL West is going to be tough, but I don't think that the A's or Rangers will do as well this year. Angels look pretty tough if Pujols starts strong and they hide the energy drinks from Hamilton. But then again, the AL West has the Astros, so Seattle should spot the Red Sox 9 wins (at least) before comparisons are made between records for 2013. AL East has no slouches like the Astros.

I would like to see K Morales play well. Maybe the RS can get him as an FA next year.

In my opinion Ellsbury is definitely gone. It would help a lot if he plays the full season this year. Either he gets hurt (hopefully not), and JBJ takes his place, or he is healthy and has a great season, in which case, he will cost too much. Either way, JBJ takes over next year.

As I'm a Bostonian stuck in Oregon, Seattle is our favorite city to visit!  6 hr drive for a fantastic time, ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMER WHEN THE SOX ARE IN TOWN!  It's amazing on those weekends!  The city turns Red.  Great fans there, & they embrace the Sox with a great spirit.  Go drink a few microbrews and enjoy the baseball & baseball fans!  You want to watch the Sox in an incredible city???  SEATTLE is one of the best!  The views alone are worth it!  Beautiful city!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

actually, resigning him would be the best plan...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Actually, that would be the worst plan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

hardly

you know where i stand, i know where you stand. let's revisit this issue next offseason. You know i won't waver like Stiffy or Flip Romney.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

hardly

you know where i stand, i know where you stand. let's revisit this issue next offseason. You know i won't waver like Stiffy or Flip Romney.

I know you won't. I repsect that.

However, it is not about next season, since we have little chance no matter how well Jacoby does, it is about the full 5 to 6 years after 2013 or whatever length deal Ellsbury settles on, so revisiting this issue may take a half a decade to settle.

I hope for the best. I really like Jacoby. I spent more hours defending "Jake" against softy's absurdities than the rest of the board combined. I just think he is better suited for the NL, the west coast, and a market where the fans and media are not so blood thirsty. I think we will have to outbid and out length all the other offers to even get him to consider returning, and I do not see Ben & Company going all out on Jacoby. He's too similar to the CC profile, and they are still shaken by that one. Just my opinion.

I'd love to see Jacoby back here for the next 3-4 years at a reasonable cost, but my idea of "reasonable" is far away from Jacoby's and Bor-A$$'s, and more importantly, one GM somewhere out west.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We could have gotten Trevor Bauer and more for Ellsbury in a three way deal with Zona and Cincy.