Hill's beloved Mariners cannot keep a Manager...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Hill's beloved Mariners cannot keep a Manager...

Karma says that Will Middlebrooks hits 450 homeruns for the Sox throughout a terrific career and goes on to manage the Mariners into a last place finish 3 straight years through 2030 to 2032, as the Mariners suffer through their 56th year in existence without so much as a World Series appearance.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Maybe if we pick on them them we'll put a Kibosh on them, and they'll beat the A's. Not impressed with their GM either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Remember Jay Buhner? Or when Griffey Sr. and Jr. played together? Or Jamie Moyer putting up Cliff Lee numbers? Or... something has to be good about the Mariners even if we have to go back in time, doesn't it?

Ichiro? Nintendo? Cliff Lee? King Felix? Randy Johnson? Vizquel? Bannister? Jim Beattie Cool?

Having A-Rod, Griffey and Randy Johnson all on the same team.  Good times in Seattle...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In fact, maybe all this failure is karmic justice for them introducing A-Rod to Major League Baseball...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Mariners issues in th big picture are due to absentee ownership who has not taken a vested interest in the team since purchasing them. Bottom line is that Howard Lincoln is in much the same role as Harrington was with the Red Sox after the passing of Yawkey....He and Chuck Armstrong are the key players in what is a franchise that has been for the better part of two decades a rutterless ship, led by two individual whos primary function is in protecting the asset and not in building an infrastructure designed to produce a competitive major league team. 

Which is why both Pat Gillick and Lou Pinella moved on....

When they hired zdurerenzick after the train wreck that was Bavasi he was charged with retooling the minor league system and for the most part he's done just that. Both managers he hired Wakamtsu & Wedge were in effect hired to oversee the rebuilding of the team. Wedge in particular was hired to be his field manager because of his experience with the Indians and his ability to develop young players. Fast forward to today and it's interesting to me that zdurenenzick is on a one year deal and Wedge turned down the same offer. Something is wrotten in Denmark. both have done their jobs given what they had to work with and it appears that both will be sacrificial lambs for a franchise littered with carcasses. 

I live in the northwest and root for the M's unless they're playing my hometown Red Sox. In the end the root of the problems lies in the executive leadership of this franchise. so with the recent passing of the owner, the hope is that the team is sold and with that they purge the entire executive team and put in place a model that works to improve the standing of the big league club. There are plenty of examples in the game today for how build a team. Sans a new owner the M's are in for another two or three years of 90 loss season and continued erosion of the fan base...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Wow ... I am truly flattered by the attention.

As BurritoT knows, a fan of a 90-loss team can always hope for a quick turnaround.Smile

If your life has a success void yearning to be filled by the on-field success of your favorite sports team, the Seattle Mariners are not for you.

But if you're an armchair problem-solver secure with your accomplishments in life, the Mariners are an attractive option.

My hat is off to the Red Sox for their remarkable season ... the Sox brought happiness to many fans.

Best regards.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

MLBl needs to contract. Mariners would make a good AAA team. I feel sorry for baseball fans in the northwest and the State of Florida. Huge embarrassment.

They actually have a very good fan base.  They just need to win occasionally.  They were drawing 3.5M in 2000-2001-2002.  But they haven't made the playoffs in 12 years.  That's a long time for fans to keep the faith.  So they lost 100-200k per year for 12 years, and are now under 1.8M.  It's a natural erosion due to quality failure of the product.  So they are 1.7-1.8M under their top draw.  That's an easy $100M in lost revenue, and subsequently, lost spending.

For all the talk about small markets and big markets, some of these teams had solid markets, but squandered them with years of mismanagement.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Its all in good fun, I was at the Futures Game this year, that kid Taijuan Walker is something special.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The M's need a full overhaul and a better philosiphy going forward. Their fanbase will return if they clean house and start over with a better plan and an owner that actually cares about the team, all the people in the organization, and the fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the M's do have something going for them. they have a bonafide ace, a VERY solid #2, a GREAT farm system and a very young team(things the yankees and many other teams WISH they had). If they had some money to spend in FA i think they could have a competitive team on the field within 3 years.

even without a bigger payroll i still think they could be a threat in the coming years. they would just need better luck with players in their farm system and hit the jackpot in low cost FA.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the M's do have something going for them. they have a bonafide ace, a VERY solid #2, a GREAT farm system and a very young team(things the yankees and many other teams WISH they had). If they had some money to spend in FA i think they could have a competitive team on the field within 3 years.

even without a bigger payroll i still think they could be a threat in the coming years. they would just need better luck with players in their farm system and hit the jackpot in low cost FA.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

the mariners do have some very good building blocks with a lot good young pitchers on the way. Most of thier top position prospects are  already in Seattle on mlb roster..the problem is that none of them are impact types the best two hitters in thier lineup are Ibanez and Morales. Their best position players with the most upside are Seager, Miller & Zunino. 

1B Smoak 745 has shown improvment but is not the impact bat they thought they acquired

2B Franklin 689 the kid has pop but is prone to prolonged slumps....

SS Miller 733 I like this kid and think he has a chance to be a very solid big league SS 

3B Seager 764 this is Hill55 favorite...the kid can play but is not an impact hitter..

C Zunino incomplete, scouts rave about his stick and his ability behind the plate...

LF Ibanez 800 will be 42 

CF Ackley 662 once the top prospect in their system. might be time to cut bait with the kid...

Rf Saunders 727 solid player good glove with a little pop 

DH Morales 788 wil likely leave via free agency...my guess is that Montero takes over as the every day DH next year.

The Mariners have tried and failed to address the need for impact bats via the trade market and IMHO if they want to compete in the near term they need to make Robinson Cano an offer he can't refuse and resign Morales...add them to the middle of the lineup and the M's could finally move north of 500

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

the mariners do have some very good building blocks with a lot good young pitchers on the way. Most of thier top position prospects are  already in Seattle on mlb roster..the problem is that none of them are impact types the best two hitters in thier lineup are Ibanez and Morales. Their best position players with the most upside are Seager, Miller & Zunino. 

1B Smoak 745 has shown improvment but is not the impact bat they thought they acquired

SS Miller 733 I like this kid and think he has a chance to be a very solid big league SS 

3B Seager 764 this is Hill55 favorite...the kid can play but is not an impact hitter..

C Zunino incomplete, scouts rave about his stick and his ability behind the plate...

LF Ibanez 800 will be 42 

CF Ackley 662 once the top prospect in their system. might be time to cut bait with the kid...

DH Morales 788 wil likely leave via free agency...my guess is that Montero takes over as the every day DH next year.

The Mariners have tried and failed to address the need for impact bats via the trade market and IMHO if they want to compete in the near term they need to make Robinson Cano an offer he can't refuse and resign Morales...add them to the middle of the lineup and the M's could finally move north of 500

Beantowne, thank you for thoughtful analysis of the Seattle Mariners.

Just a couple of points:

The Mariners were probably prepared to "cut bait" with Dustin Ackley before the former No. 2 draft pick blossomed at the plate after this year's All Star break. Compare the second-half slash lines for these two centerfielders (entering Sunday's games):

Player A 204 PA, .306/.376/.439/.815

Player B 212 PA, .282/.329/.421/.749

Player A is Ackley and Player B is Jacoby Ellsbury. The samples are small, and Ackley falls far short of Ellsbury's track record, but the Mariners are not prepared to "cut bait" on Ackley, who is four and a half years younger than Ellsbury.

Seattle secondbaseman Nick Franklin indeed suffered a prolonged slump this year in his rookie season, as did second-year Boston thirdbaseman Will Middlebrooks. Here are the 2013 slash lines for Franklin and Middlebrooks (entering Sunday's games):

NF 408 PA, .227/.304/.385/.689, OPS+ 96

WM 369 PA, .230/.274/.431/.706, OPS+ 89

Bear in mind that Middlebrooks is a corner infielder while Franklin is a middle infielder who is two and a half years younger than Middlebrooks.

I anticipate that Robinson Cano will sign a franchise-crippling long-term contract this offseason and I hope Cano's destination is not the Seattle Mariners (who have young depth at second base with Franklin, Ackley, Brad Miller and Stefen Romero).

I will continue to view the Seattle Mariners as a fascinating mess.Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think Hill, Jete, Jesse and Steven, and some other non-Sox fans here, are baseball fans first and their local team's fan second.  If they or anyone wants to disagree I'm open to discuss it.

I'm not, I love the Sox more than I love baseball. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of that, it's just a fact.  If that makes me tribal and parochial, so be it.

I defy anyone to show me a post where Hill actively posted a strong pro-Mariner or anti-Sox comment.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

LF Ibanez 800 will be 42 

Just a couple of points:

The Mariners were probably prepared to "cut bait" with Dustin Ackley before the former No. 2 draft pick blossomed at the plate after this year's All Star break. Compare the second-half slash lines for these two centerfielders (entering Sunday's games):

Player A is Ackley and Player B is Jacoby Ellsbury. The samples are small, and Ackley falls far short of Ellsbury's track record, but the Mariners are not prepared to "cut bait" on Ackley, who is four and a half years younger than Ellsbury.

Seattle secondbaseman Nick Franklin indeed suffered a prolonged slump this year in his rookie season, as did second-year Boston thirdbaseman Will Middlebrooks. Here are the 2013 slash lines for Franklin and Middlebrooks (entering Sunday's games):

Bear in mind that Middlebrooks is a corner infielder while Franklin is a middle infielder who is two and a half years younger than Middlebrooks.

I anticipate that Robinson Cano will sign a franchise-crippling long-term contract this offseason and I hope Cano's destination is not the Seattle Mariners (who have young depth at second base with Franklin, Ackley, Brad Miller and Stefen Romero).

Hill55,

Respectfully, your reaching for straws trying to make a case for Ackley. The stats your using above are heavily weighted by his hot streak in August. Where is ops was north of 1.000 however he came back to earth in September with an ops of 673 which is slightly higher than his career norm of 622...Franklin is a young hitter and you're continued use of Middlebrooks as a reference seems disingenuous. In the case of Ackley you chose numbers that would make him look good and in the case of Franklin instead of using the same time frame you decided to use the entire season. Because his second half was horrible, his first half wasn't much better,  which we both know that you chose that time frame because it weights Middlebrooks numbers to enhance the arguments in Franklins favor, had you instead used his second half splits...post All Star the numbers are not flattering...again he's a good looking young player, but to suggest that because of him the M's don't need a hitter of Cano's stature is silly...

In the end the intent of my analysis was to show that while the M's do have some good young ball players they lack impact middle of the order hitters...of which none of the current players on the big league roster project to be nor have the M's drafted and developed a player that fits that profile in more than two decades,( since Arod and Griffey came up through the system). a profile of player they tried to acquire with aquisitions of Smoak and Montero, however both have fallen short and given that Ackley never became the perrenial 300 hitter they thought that drafted. The mariners lineup has a huge hole in the middle of it...That's not to suggest that they can't all be solid big league hitters. The need is greater than to have a couple of 750 ish ops guys in the middle of the order with a below average defensive centerfielder who might eclispe 700.  

Which is why I think they'd be foolish not to make a run at Cano who might be the best hitter to come to market since Bonds. Perhaps it's premature to make such an investment. Short of spending money the rebuild will continue and come 2015 or 2016 they might then be in position to rebuild again. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

LF Ibanez 800 will be 42 

Just a couple of points:

Hill55,

Respectfully, your reaching for straws trying to make a case for Ackley. The stats your using above are heavily weighted by his hot streak in August. Where is ops was north of 1.000 however he came back to earth in September with an ops of 673 which is slightly higher than his career norm of 622...Franklin is a young hitter and you're continued use of Middlebrooks as a reference seems disingenuous. In the case of Ackley you chose numbers that would make him look good and in the case of Franklin instead of using the same time frame you decided to use the entire season. Because his second half was horrible, his first half wasn't much better,  which we both know that you chose that time frame because it weights Middlebrooks numbers to enhance the arguments in Franklins favor, had you instead used his second half splits...post All Star the numbers are not flattering...again he's a good looking young player, but to suggest that because of him the M's don't need a hitter of Cano's stature is silly...

In the end the intent of my analysis was to show that while the M's do have some good young ball players they lack impact middle of the order hitters...of which none of the current players on the big league roster project to be nor have the M's drafted and developed a player that fits that profile in more than two decades,( since Arod and Griffey came up through the system). a profile of player they tried to acquire with aquisitions of Smoak and Montero, however both have fallen short and given that Ackley never became the perrenial 300 hitter they thought that drafted. The mariners lineup has a huge hole in the middle of it...That's not to suggest that they can't all be solid big league hitters. The need is greater than to have a couple of 750 ish ops guys in the middle of the order with a below average defensive centerfielder who might eclispe 700.  

Which is why I think they'd be foolish not to make a run at Cano who might be the best hitter to come to market since Bonds. Perhaps it's premature to make such an investment. Short of spending money the rebuild will continue and come 2015 or 2016 they might then be in position to rebuild again. 

i think if they were going to spend this offseason they would target Ellsbury, Choo or Granderson  before they went after Cano.

Also consider that from the strength of the M's farm system comes the possibility of trading for a stud bat like Stanton.

Offensive woes aside, you still need pitching and a lot of it. the M's front end is VERY GOOD and they have a decently long line of very good pitching prospects behind them. If they went out and signed/traded for another solid #2 and let their prospects fill out the rest of the rotation they could be a contender as early as next season. The Devil Rays have been making the playoffs on pitching alone for 5 years now! granted, the devil rays DO have LonGo (and now Myers) to anchor their lineup so the M's have a bit of catching up to do in that regard but the principle remains the same.  A killer rotation can lead your team to the playoffs and beyond even if your lineup struggles to score runs. If i was the M's GM i would focus on the rotation first and allow my young core of position players another year at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Mariners have absolutely zero chance of signing Cano. To think otherwise is to be extremely naive. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

LF Ibanez 800 will be 42 

Just a couple of points:

Hill55,

i think if they were going to spend this offseason they would target Ellsbury, Choo or Granderson  before they went after Cano.

Also consider that from the strength of the M's farm system comes the possibility of trading for a stud bat like Stanton.

Offensive woes aside, you still need pitching and a lot of it. the M's front end is VERY GOOD and they have a decently long line of very good pitching prospects behind them. If they went out and signed/traded for another solid #2 and let their prospects fill out the rest of the rotation they could be a contender as early as next season. The Devil Rays have been making the playoffs on pitching alone for 5 years now! granted, the devil rays DO have LonGo (and now Myers) to anchor their lineup so the M's have a bit of catching up to do in that regard but the principle remains the same.  A killer rotation can lead your team to the playoffs and beyond even if your lineup struggles to score runs. If i was the M's GM i would focus on the rotation first and allow my young core of position players another year at least.

The Rays model is a good comparison...however the mariners greatest issue has been scoring runs ranking near or at the bottom for the last few years. They also have issues in the bullpen and after Hernandez and Iwakuma they don't have a proven innings eater...they do have two or three very good pitching prospects but it's fools gold if you think you can truly compete with three rookies in your rotation. As comprised they will struggle iIn a division with the Rangers and A's both set up to be 90 win teams for the foreseeable future...not to mention the wayward halos. 

I agree that the m's have the chips to make deals...they also have the resources to open up the check book. The reality is that what they truly need is new ownership...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The Mariners have absolutely zero chance of signing Cano. To think otherwise is to be extremely naive. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

30M 10 years....my guess is that the chances are pretty good that he'd listen...

Sections
Shortcuts