Hints of progress for Iglesias?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Hints of progress for Iglesias?

Through June 25, Iglesias was hitting 44-202 (.218) with just 2 2B, 8 BB, and 32 K. Over his last nine games, Iglesias is 8-27 (.296) with 2 2B, 4 BB, and 1 K. That's not much, but it is at least a hint of progress!

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/jose_iglesias_handling_pressur.html

Jose Iglesias handling pressure of being top Red Sox prospect, despite struggles in Triple-A

Published: Monday, July 11, 2011, 12:25 PM     Updated: Monday, July 11, 2011, 5:22 PM
    jose-iglesias-mug.JPGView full sizeJose Iglesias hasn't allowed the pressure of being a top prospect get to him this season.

PAWTUCKET, R.I. – Down Interstate 95, not quite removed from the long shadows cast by Fenway Park, the crown jewel of the Boston Red Sox's minor league system stands in the clubhouse at McCoy Stadium, the home of the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox.

Jose Iglesias doesn't look like much. His faux-hawk, slender build and youthful features look as if they belong in a college dorm room, not adorning the man christened the savior of Boston's middle infield.

Admittedly, his season hasn't gone as planned. Once on the fast track, the 21-year-old has stalled in his first season in Triple A. But if the expectations placed on his slender shoulders are at all suffocating, he's doing a tremendous job of concealing his gasps.

The shortstop smiles easily and can often be heard laughing throughout the clubhouse as he bounces from one group to the next. When he slows down long enough to join a game of cards, he pops up every few minutes to steal a bite of food from a clubhouse attendant's Styrofoam container whenever his back is turned.

"It's baseball, man," Iglesias said before a recent game. "Baseball is supposed to be fun and that's all I'm worried about doing right now."

When the Red Sox inked shortstop Marco Scutaro to a two-year deal prior to the 2010 season, they did so with the hope that the wiry kid from Cuba they had just signed would be ready to anchor the position when Scutaro’s contract expired.

His glove is already there. Many believe that Iglesias will immediately become one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball the day he arrives in Boston.

Unfortunately, his bat hasn't traveled the same trajectory, leading some talent evaluators to predict that Iglesias is now two years away – up from predictions of one – from being serviceable in Boston.

He lacks power, having collected only four extra-base hits over 229 at-bats before heading to the disabled list with a concussion last week (he is said to be doing fine), and doesn't have enough speed to leg out infield singles, leading to a .227 average.

Using the minor league equivalency calculator to see how his numbers would translate to Boston, it's predicted that Iglesias would be hitting just .219/.253/.236 at the major-league level.

"Everyone knows the things he can do in the field. You don't see many players come through here that can do what he does," one scout said. "He just has so much to do on the other side.

jose-iglesias.jpgView full sizeJose Iglesias has just four extra-base hits this season.

"His recognition needs some work and he has zero – I mean no – power. Right now, he's a guy that hurts your lineup. You can't hide someone like that."

Iglesias, who defected during a trip to Canada three years ago this month, isn't bothered by his lack of production.

He believes that he'll eventually start hitting the way he did in Portland last season, where he posted a .285 average despite being limited to 57 games with a hand injury, and recently tweaked his swing in an attempt to help him achieve that goal.

"It's just something with his setup. He wasn't in a good position to take an aggressive swing on the ball," Boston general manager Theo Epstein said recently on WEEI. "So they've been working with him. They've made an adjustment, and I think he feels a lot better at the plate right now."

This approach doesn't have him leaping over buildings, but two of his four doubles have come over his last ten games. It's nothing to celebrate, but at least it's progress.

"I just have to get at-bats and work to be better than I was yesterday," Iglesias said. "Learn from my failures and not get down."

Even with the new midseason reports, it hasn't necessarily changed how the Red Sox view Iglesias. Last month, they gave him his first taste of the Bigs when Scutaro went down with an oblique strain.

He went 0 for 4 at the plate, but the promotion was more about giving him a chance to breathe in the air than providing him with a legitimate shot to earn a roster spot.

The atmosphere in Boston rubbed off on him.

Realistically, Iglesias knows that there's a lot of work to be done before his nameplate becomes a permanent fixture above a Fenway locker, but that hasn't stopped him from checking off each passing day.

"It was great," Iglesias said. "Learning from those guys, being around those guys. It's where I want to be. I just have to keep trying to get better and they'll come get me when they think I'm ready."

In the meantime, folks in Pawtucket better protect their dinners. You never know who might be coming in with a plastic fork.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Hints of progress for Iglesias?

Iglesias may be one of those players who are regularly handcuffed by hard stuff inside. Or not.  All the verbiage in the world will not change the fact that right now he's very weak at the plate.  He'll fill out a little. He'll learn more about hitting. But his anatomy may work against improvement above a certain level. He has a strong throwing arm, but that strength won't necessarily translate into more punch at the plate. 
    He won't be ready in 2012.  Depending upon what the Sox do with his position next season, someone just might slide in ahead of him and be hard to dislodge. The Sox cannot put the position on hold until he's ready -- if he is ever ready. The timetable for his appearance has already been messed up.
    He's got the right stuff as a person and is a wizard with the glove. A lot of people are pulling for him -- not least Theo and Tito.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The walks are the most encouraging thing.  Nobody expects him to crush the ball - he just can't be an automatic out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Not to take anything away from Iggy, but I can't get excited about a 9 game sample of slightly above average offensive production (although it would be far more than enough given his glove).  Honestly, I was hoping this was an article about his recovery from his concussion.  Can't wait for him to get back into games, hopefully he picks up where he left off.

Any word on when he's expected back?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Hints of progress for Iglesias?:
    [QUOTE]The walks are the most encouraging thing.  Nobody expects him to crush the ball - he just can't be an automatic out.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

That's about right.  We lead the league in scoring, we can afford a weak bat at the 9-slot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hints of progress for Iglesias? : That's about right.  We lead the league in scoring, we can afford a weak bat at the 9-slot.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    The Sox lead the league in scoring at this point. That may or may not be the case in a year or two.
    How "weak" in the 9 hole?  The answer will depend in part on what's happening in the 7 and 8 holes, assuming that Crawford produces in the 6 hole. The Sox passed on Alex Gonzalez in favor of Scutaro because the club wanted better production at SS.  
    Iglesias doesn't have to pound the ball, but he'll help his case by drawing more walks to improve his OBP and by chipping in a double now and then.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Through June 25, Iglesias was hitting 44-202 (.218) with just 2 2B, 8 BB, and 32 K. Over his last nine games, Iglesias is 8-27 (.296) with 2 2B, 4 BB, and 1 K. That's not much, but it is at least a hint of progress!

He did at least double his doubles.

http://youtu.be/F7hwvWIK1eM

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think Iglesias is what he is, great glove, no hit. I still see most of the same bad habits he had when I first saw him 2 years ago.
    Theoretically, he is ready now, because what you see is what you will get. The question is are the Sox content with a Rey Ordonez type SS? I have to think that Sox are feeling better about the situation with Salty/Tek chipping in some production. But think back to the first month with Drew/Salty and then Iggy as 7/8/9? Yikes!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

COMING, SOOOOONER RATHER THAN LATER !!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

it's predicted that Iglesias would be hitting just .219/.253/.236 at the major-league level.

A .489 OPS would make him the 2nd worst qualified hitter in MLB.  The only qualified hitter below .572 is Chone Figgins at .476 (what happened to him?) The Rays Brignac .460 in 171 AB no longer starts. 

It is a terrible idea for his long-term development for him not see AAA pitching for at least 1.5 more seasons. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Iglesias may be one of those players who are regularly handcuffed by hard stuff inside. Or not.  All the verbiage in the world will not change the fact that right now he's very weak at the plate.  He'll fill out a little. He'll learn more about hitting. But his anatomy may work against improvement above a certain level. He has a strong throwing arm, but that strength won't necessarily translate into more punch at the plate.  He won't be ready in 2012.  Depending upon what the Sox do with his position next season, someone just might slide in ahead of him and be hard to dislodge. The Sox cannot put the position on hold until he's ready -- if he is ever ready. The timetable for his appearance has already been messed up. He's got the right stuff as a person and is a wizard with the glove. A lot of people are pulling for him -- not least Theo and Tito.  
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Our lineup "when healthy" could easily carry a 250 hitting SS until he hopefully progresses a bit more offensively.  I believe Iglesias could at least hit 240/250 his first season.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Inglesias is not a small kid, he is going to develop some power. Still young, hope the Sox bring up for cup of coffee starts, but he has to start, not sit the bench. Get him ready for MLB.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I think we will see a steady diet of Iglesias next season bobbysu.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Power is not his issue. His pitch recognition is not good at all, causing him to chase pitches that are out of the strike zone. Lot of swing and misses, off balance swings.
    Look, AAA today is not what it used to be. Lots of Kevin Millwoods dot the rosters. To think Iggy, while hitting so poorly in AAA will improve in the major leagues as craze4 mentions is very wishful thinking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Power is not his issue. His pitch recognition is not good at all, causing him to chase pitches that are out of the strike zone. Lot of swing and misses, off balance swings. Look, AAA today is not what it used to be. Lots of Kevin Millwoods dot the rosters. To think Iggy, while hitting so poorly in AAA will improve in the major leagues as craze4 mentions is very wishful thinking.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

rkarp,

Wishful maybe, but I have to laugh at all these "so called" experts who hype a kid at a very early age and get fans to ride the bandwagon on their projections.  Prospects progress at different paces so at least give the kid enough time before passing judgement based on AAA Stats for a 21 year old.