Hitting with Runners in Scoring Position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hitting with Runners in Scoring Position

OPS 2010-2013  (145 batters with 450+ PAs)

1.139 Miggy

1.136 Votto

1.046 AGon

.971  Ortiz

.965  Pujols

.965  Bautista

.947  Braun

.944  CGon

.938  Cano

.937  Tulo

.934  C Beltran

.917  J Gomes

20) .887  Napoli

82) .782  Victorino

88) .778  Pedroia

100) .761 Drew

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Hitting with Runners in Scoring Position

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1.139 Miggy

1.136 Votto

1.046 AGon

.971  Ortiz

.965  Pujols

.965  Bautista

.947  Braun

.944  CGon

.938  Cano

.937  Tulo

.934  C Beltran

.917  J Gomes

20) .887  Napoli

82) .782  Victorino

88) .778  Pedroia

100) .761 Drew

obviously these guys don't like LOB'sters

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

1.139 Miggy

1.136 Votto

1.046 AGon

.971  Ortiz

.965  Pujols

.965  Bautista

.947  Braun

.944  CGon

.938  Cano

.937  Tulo

.934  C Beltran

.917  J Gomes

20) .887  Napoli

82) .782  Victorino

88) .778  Pedroia

100) .761 Drew

obviously these guys don't like LOB'sters

You're in rare form this morning, Mr. Jete!  Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

This stat has real meaning! 

Got a stat for guys who come to bat from the 7th inning on and his team trailing by a run or more, with a guy or guys on base or even bases empty, who ties the game or gets his team the lead with a hit?  That, for me, would be another stat with real meaning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Keep in mind as well that on average a guy comes up to the plate with a runner in scoring position between 23-25% of the time.  ( I based this off of Dustin Pedroias AB's with RISP between 2008-13)  So the sample size with RISP is approximately 1/4 the sample size of a regular season and is subject to much greater variance.  

Yes hitting with RISP nay be a skill but there is also an element of chance there as well.  if you look at a player like Pedey and you look at his AVG/OPS with RISP over the years you can see that they bounce up and down.

2013    .309/.770

2012    .279/.724

2011    .246/.659

2010    .327/.858

2009    .307/.831

I do believe that there is some skill involved with hitting with runners in scoring position, but I've also wondered if the "clutch factor" is less being able to focus better in clutch situations and more being able to maintain the same level of intensity while other guys can't control their emotions.

Regardless of what you believe, my point is splits can vary vastly (or at least they will to some degree) from year to year, which should be expected when you look at a sub set of data out of a SSS. 

It's funny, I'm a huge advocate of splits and using splits, but I also preach that we must accept they are a SSS and to be taken with a grain of salt and when measuring a certain skill set perhaps looking at how a player has performed over their entire career may be more telling. 

I remember when Big Papi had some horrible splits vs. LHP back in 2010 he hit .222 with a .599 OPS he also had two subpar seasons prior in 2009,2008 @ .716 & .741and everbody said "David Ortiz is just not a good hitter vs. LHP" but in 2007 and 2006 he hit .852 and .988 respectively.  The argument against this was age was catching up to him but yet in 2011-2012 Papi hit LHP much better posting OPS's of .989 and .985  (his 2011 numbers were better against LHP than they were against RHP) and this year is a subpar year again with a .717 OPS

My point is if I want to make an argument that a hitter is a good hitter in a certain siutation whether it be vs. LHP or with RISP the more data you have the better picture you have painted and year by year stats can vary.  Now is that Varience due to the nature of pulling data from a smaller set or is there a level of skill that vary's from year to year? can a hitter actually be better at hitting with RISP one year and then worst the next? or is he just a victim of Variability?  I'd say in the absence of a players skill set declining due to age or injury I'd take the former of those two arguments. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Did they seriously just delete my post? well that's a first. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

It was posted Hugh because it was there and I read it.  Don't know why it was deleted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Drew's stats for this year are interesting.

One the one side, he's hitting just .225 w/RISP with a .738 OPS.

However with 2 outs and RISP,
    he's hitting .315 with 3 HR, 29 RBI, .383 OBP, .648 SLG and 1.031 OPS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey what gives mods???...what's wrong with a post about runners left on base??. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Got a stat for guys who come to bat from the 7th inning on and his team trailing by a run or more, with a guy or guys on base or even bases empty, who ties the game or gets his team the lead with a hit?  That, for me, would be another stat with real meaning.

I prefer the "Late & Close" stat myself, but don't know how to find the league leaders or multi-year leaders.

I do feel that clutch hitting is almost totally unsustainable by individual players. It is not a seperate skillset. Almsot all players are close to or below their career norm numbers in the clutch. They may have a great season or two, but eventually revert back to their overall numbers or worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I prefer the "Late & Close" stat myself, but don't know how to find the league leaders or multi-year leaders.

I do feel that clutch hitting is almost totally unsustainable by individual players. It is not a seperate skillset. Almsot all players are close to or below their career norm numbers in the clutch. They may have a great season or two, but eventually revert back to their overall numbers or worse.

Late and close is what I'm talking about, but only from the side of the situation (though insurance runs are nice) where your team is still losing or loses if you don't come through. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Let's take an informal poll then of which Sox player fans have the most confidence in at the plate in crunch time.  The Sox trail by one run and have the bases loaded with two outs in the bottom of the ninth of game 7 of the world series.  Which Sox batter would you like to see at the plate in this situation (of guys who have had significant playing time with the sox this season and likely to be on the world series roster).  This would be mine from the guy I would most like to see coming to bat to the guy I'd least like to see:

Gomes

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Drew

Ellsbury

Napoli

Nava

Carp

Saltalamacchia

Middlebrooks

Ross

Of course, it would be Quentin Berry who would find himself at the plate coming through with the game winning hit!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's take an informal poll then of which Sox player fans have the most confidence in at the plate in crunch time.  The Sox trail by one run and have the bases loaded with two outs in the bottom of the ninth of game 7 of the world series.  Which Sox batter would you like to see at the plate in this situation (of guys who have had significant playing time with the sox this season and likely to be on the world series roster).  This would be mine from the guy I would most like to see coming to bat to the guy I'd least like to see:

Gomes

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Drew

Ellsbury

Napoli

Nava

Carp

Saltalamacchia

Middlebrooks

Ross

Of course, it would be Quentin Berry who would find himself at the plate coming through with the game winning hit!

Right now?

1) Napoli

2) Victorino

3) Gomes

4) Middlebrooks

5) Nava

6) Pedroia

7) Ortiz

8) Boggy

9) Salty

10) Drew

11) Carp

Our leaders in Late & Close:

1) Gomes .947

2) Middy   .784

3) Nava    .741

4) Naps    .732

5) Pedey  .718

6) Ellsb    .708

7) Ortiz    .704

8) Vict      .686

9) Drew    .642

10) Salty  .596

11) Carp  .467

This is usually an unsustainable stat, so although it is an important stat, it is not something anyone can count on as a measure of what is to come ahead.

Here's alook at 2012 and 2011. See hos players are all over the map:

2012:

1) Pedey  .786

2) C Ross .768

3) Salty   .725

4) AGon   .702

5) Otris  .682

6) Middy .629

7) Aviles .604

8) Ellsb   .544

9) Nava   .479

2011:

1) AGon  .926

2) Ortiz  .895

3) Pedey .827

4) Salty  .822

5) Ellsb  .817

6) Lowrie .808

7) Youk    .802

8) VTek   .769

9) Scut   .742

10) Redd .624

11) JD Drew .599

12) Craw  .575

(Look at all the players over .800 in 2011!)

Sections
Shortcuts