Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?

I'm only half serious with this thought. But has anyone noticed who is second in the American League in OPS?

Oritz's .987 OPS is second in the AL only to Jose Bautista and right now is better than A-Gon's .957 OPS. Ortiz leads the Sox with 27 HRs and is second with 86 RBIs. It makes you wonder how many RBIs Ortiz would have if he still batted third. Maybe 107 like A-Gon?

Ortiz could have more RBIs even where he's batting. He's up to .285 w/RISP which is fantastic considering he was around .147 w/RISP in mid-May and still under .200 at the end of May. If he was better early in teh season, his BA w/RISP would be over .300 now and he'd likely be around 95 to 100 RBIs.

Right now, I'd still consider A-Gon, Granderson or Bautista ahead of Ortiz. But all this talk about how the Sox should have played Lavarnway instead of Ortiz when Ortiz was coming off the DL, and all the talk about how the Sox should have kept Martinez as a C/DH and not brought back Ortiz was ridiculous from the start and even more pathetic with each passing day.

For all those who thought the Sox overpaid him by picking up the $12.5M option. It's looking like bargain.

I'll repeat -- 2ND-BEST OPS IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?

no doubt he having a tremendous yr

but no mvp votes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wrong color for Boston MVP

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?:
    [QUOTE]Wrong color for Boston MVP
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

repeated accusations of bigotry from a homophobe, awesome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What color is AGon?  Most, practically all Boston fans would color him MVP. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would say since there is still 28 games to play, Papi still has a chance at the MVP. If he were to have a Monster September and finsih with say 35 hr, 115 RBI, 40+2b .320 avg and an over 1.000 OPS, leading the Sox to the Division title...he would get some consideration. Keep in mind he has played 13 less games than AGOn and others. DH hurts his chances of course. But he may be the Clubhouse leader and that should play into who is the team MVP also. The other thing that hurts his chances is that Granderson is distancing himself from other Yankees, whereas the Sox votes may get split among AGON, ELLS, some Pedroia and Ortiz. Bautista is going to be ona 4th place club, so that will hurt him....personally I would give it to Verlander....Detroit is no where without him 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]I would say since there is still 28 games to play, Papi still has a chance at the MVP. If he were to have a Monster September and finsih with say 35 hr, 115 RBI, 40+2b .320 avg and an over 1.000 OPS, leading the Sox to the Division title...he would get some consideration. Keep in mind he has played 13 less games than AGOn and others. DH hurts his chances of course. But he may be the Clubhouse leader and that should play into who is the team MVP also. The other thing that hurts his chances is that Granderson is distancing himself from other Yankees, whereas the Sox votes may get split among AGON, ELLS, some Pedroia and Ortiz. Bautista is going to be ona 4th place club, so that will hurt him....personally I would give it to Verlander....Detroit is no where without him 
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

actually, detroit playing in a weak division is of more importance than verlander.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's sad you still think that way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : It's sad you still think that way.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

it's surprizing that he thinks at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : it's surprizing that he thinks at all.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]
    Damn, that's TWICE I've agreed with you today!
    (Three, counting I know you like the Clash)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : actually, detroit playing in a weak division is of more importance than verlander.

Though it pains me to agree with you, in checking he is 14-1 of his 20-5 versus the central and 3 interleague games..Mets, Rockies, Ariz.....so the weak division has clearly helped his stats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

hey, i'm gonna get a complex if you people keep agreeing with me.
    the trouble is i can only afford a small apartment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shiny-Penny. Show Shiny-Penny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : Though it pains me to agree with you, in checking he is 14-1 of his 20-5 versus the central and 3 interleague games..Mets, Rockies, Ariz.....so the weak division has clearly helped his stats.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I couldn't see Verlander getting the award and though he pitches in the central and has had some easy NL games...he has had a heck of a year and is hands down the Cy Young winner.....barring a very unlikely implosion on his part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : Damn, that's TWICE I've agreed with you today! (Three, counting I know you like the Clash)

i don't like the CLASH, lloyd; i LOVE the CLASH!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : i don't like the CLASH, lloyd; i LOVE the CLASH!
     saw BAD and Jones (kicked out of Clash) a few weeks ago. He was terrific.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?:
    [QUOTE]I'm only half serious with this thought. But has anyone noticed who is second in the American League in OPS? Oritz's .987 OPS is second in the AL only to Jose Bautista and right now is better than A-Gon's .957 OPS. Ortiz leads the Sox with 27 HRs and is second with 86 RBIs. It makes you wonder how many RBIs Ortiz would have if he still batted third. Maybe 107 like A-Gon? Ortiz could have more RBIs even where he's batting. He's up to .285 w/RISP which is fantastic considering he was around .147 w/RISP in mid-May and still under .200 at the end of May. If he was better early in teh season, his BA w/RISP would be over .300 now and he'd likely be around 95 to 100 RBIs. Right now, I'd still consider A-Gon, Granderson or Bautista ahead of Ortiz. But all this talk about how the Sox should have played Lavarnway instead of Ortiz when Ortiz was coming off the DL, and all the talk about how the Sox should have kept Martinez as a C/DH and not brought back Ortiz was ridiculous from the start and even more pathetic with each passing day. For all those who thought the Sox overpaid him by picking up the $12.5M option. It's looking like bargain. I'll repeat -- 2ND-BEST OPS IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Considering heel be a free agent, I think the Sox should strongly consider if heel be this good next year and the year after that. I would bet he continues and that heel hit for good power over the next 2 seasons. Heel be a good investment. If there is a concern, heel be showing us all how good a hitter he really is when heel be hitting bombs and big clutch hits in the playoffs. Heel be fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

LONDON CALLING is the greatest double album of all time.
    slightly ahead of ELECTRIC LADYLAND and BLONDE ON BLONDE.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I agree with London Calling, it's one of my top 5 all-time personal bests....If Strumer doesn't die, i think they would have joined the Bring Back the Clock tour that every other band has pulled in the past 10 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]LONDON CALLING is the greatest double album of all time. slightly ahead of ELECTRIC LADYLAND and BLONDE ON BLONDE.
    I'll throw the White Album up there, too, but I agree, you can't beat "London Calling."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : Considering heel be a free agent, I think the Sox should strongly consider if heel be this good next year and the year after that. I would bet he continues and that heel hit for good power over the next 2 seasons. Heel be a good investment. If there is a concern, heel be showing us all how good a hitter he really is when heel be hitting bombs and big clutch hits in the playoffs. Heel be fine.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I understand the reluctance to not go two years because of his age, but I think the gamble will be worth it. For all the talk about teams wanting versatile DH's to rotate different players into that role, that's all well in good if you don't have a great DH. But when you have a player with the 2nd-best OPS in the league, you find a place in the lineup for him. And if that's a DH-only player, so be it.

I think he'll be fine next year. If he's just mediocre in two years, then so be it. He's 35 this year, so I could see him producing a decent level for three more years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?:
    [QUOTE]I'm only half serious with this thought. But has anyone noticed who is second in the American League in OPS? Oritz's .987 OPS is second in the AL only to Jose Bautista and right now is better than A-Gon's .957 OPS. Ortiz leads the Sox with 27 HRs and is second with 86 RBIs. It makes you wonder how many RBIs Ortiz would have if he still batted third. Maybe 107 like A-Gon? Ortiz could have more RBIs even where he's batting. He's up to .285 w/RISP which is fantastic considering he was around .147 w/RISP in mid-May and still under .200 at the end of May. If he was better early in teh season, his BA w/RISP would be over .300 now and he'd likely be around 95 to 100 RBIs. Right now, I'd still consider A-Gon, Granderson or Bautista ahead of Ortiz. But all this talk about how the Sox should have played Lavarnway instead of Ortiz when Ortiz was coming off the DL, and all the talk about how the Sox should have kept Martinez as a C/DH and not brought back Ortiz was ridiculous from the start and even more pathetic with each passing day. For all those who thought the Sox overpaid him by picking up the $12.5M option. It's looking like bargain. I'll repeat -- 2ND-BEST OPS IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Its certainy not a bad thing to have two or three huys on our team that may be considered as MVP.  If Ortiz ever got it Davids salary demand for next season just may be bigger than Theo wants to pay.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

I would throw in  Pysical Graffitti 

n Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : I'll throw the White Album up there, too, but I agree, you can't beat "London Calling."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : I understand the reluctance to not go two years because of his age, but I think the gamble will be worth it. For all the talk about teams wanting versatile DH's to rotate different players into that role, that's all well in good if you don't have a great DH. But when you have a player with the 2nd-best OPS in the league, you find a place in the lineup for him. And if that's a DH-only player, so be it. I think he'll be fine next year. If he's just mediocre in two years, then so be it. He's 35 this year, so I could see him producing a decent level for three more years.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I was just playing around roy, I agree 100 percent. I think he's been fantastic for Sox, and hitting better now than he has in 2 or 3 previous seasons. Or if you really think about it, he's been bashing the ball pretty awesome since the halfway point of last year till now. Big Papi is a guy I do want them to re-sign for 2 years, maybe 3, it's really up to Theo's vision of his importance. I think he remains one of baseball's most powerful hitters, and certainly one that is feared enough to require shifts and lefty-lefty situational pitchers against, and even the IBB if he is deemed not the guy they want to throw to. I give him credit, I really felt Manny was a big reason why he became a feared hitter, but now he's doing it more so on his own (I guess you could say AGON's presence helps, but Ortiz was by himself last year)....Go Big Papi!!!! I mean Stay!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : I was just playing around roy, I agree 100 percent. I think he's been fantastic for Sox, and hitting better now than he has in 2 or 3 previous seasons. Or if you really think about it, he's been bashing the ball pretty awesome since the halfway point of last year till now. Big Papi is a guy I do want them to re-sign for 2 years, maybe 3, it's really up to Theo's vision of his importance. I think he remains one of baseball's most powerful hitters, and certainly one that is feared enough to require shifts and lefty-lefty situational pitchers against, and even the IBB if he is deemed not the guy they want to throw to. I give him credit, I really felt Manny was a big reason why he became a feared hitter, but now he's doing it more so on his own (I guess you could say AGON's presence helps, but Ortiz was by himself last year)....Go Big Papi!!!! I mean Stay!!!

Actually he's been bashing the ball since the beginning of May last year. Take a look at his May stats of last season. It was one of the best months of his career.

I personally felt the Manny factor was way overblown. Protection can help, but many great hitters don't have protection -- or at least a Manny behind them -- and no matter how great a hitter was behind him, Ortiz wasn't going to put up the great numbers he did if he wasn't a great hitter in his own right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hmm... How About Ortiz for MVP? : Considering heel be a free agent, I think the Sox should strongly consider if heel be this good next year and the year after that. I would bet he continues and that heel hit for good power over the next 2 seasons. Heel be a good investment. If there is a concern, heel be showing us all how good a hitter he really is when heel be hitting bombs and big clutch hits in the playoffs. Heel be fine.

Yeah, but should the team bring back such a heel?

Sections
Shortcuts