Holes to Fill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Holes to Fill

This coming Fall the Red Sox have an awful amount of holes to fill and a need at a lot of positions. They are losing Gomes and need a right fielder and a left fielder (someone who can hit). They need a shortstop unless they are going to anoint Beaggerts with the position. They are stuck with Napoli over the next few years unless they trade him at the deadline. They are potentially going to lose Jon Lester and Jake Peavy to free agency and potentially Koji. Lester is potentially a major loss as he is their ace and stopper. Are they going to move Workman and Ranaundo into replace both of them. Suppose they struggle as well. They need a third baseman unless they move Beaggerts over to third and pick up a shortstop. They are going to lose Breslow as well as Ross. How does Holt fit into the equation ?

I am not impressed with Baeggerts or Jackie Bradley Jr. and there is no guarantee they are going to be any better than they are now. I have no idea of the game plan and how Larry plans to do this and maybe he does not know how to go about it. Anyone have any ideas ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Holes to Fill

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

When you have supported poor at bats from Xander, JBJ, Gomes, Drew, AJ, Ross, Nava and others--and not pleaded with BenC for reinforcements I would truly question JF's knowledge of his players.

With WMB getting warmer at AAA I would send Xander down for some really good one on one work with the bat or bring Brown or Betts or Hassan up and send JBJ down for a similar refresher. No creativity. I agree with many of the posters these kids need to play everyday not 4 or 5 out of 7.

Unless this team makes a blockbuster trade and brings in a solid big bat---we might as well call this a season right now---BenC you are sellers and not to be sellers you are not planning ahead. Lester, Lackey and RDLR may win you 3 of 5 games--you will not gain any ground(certainly not a guarantee). Buch, Peavy and Dobront do not offer much hope.

Players that won't be resigned for 2015: Peavy, Ross, Gomes, Drew, Ue, Bad Hop, Douby is Arb Elig?? not sure about Miller--probably Arb Elig.--that's 1/3 of your 25 man roster--then Breslow, Mujica--you can hope a clean slate will give new hope for them . What's to happen with Lester. will Lackey get Extended or retire for a season rather than pitch for the minimum?

That brings the total to 12 of the 25 as questionable for 2015.

It's only July, a few days from the deadline--LL announced today talks have been tabled to the post-season with Lester. Same old---Lester is gone make sure of it---trade him after his next start in Tampa if not before.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looks like we are going to lose Lester, Peavy, Uehara, Miller, Badenhop, Breslow, Drew, Gomes & Ross.

To me, only Lester, Uehara and Miller are big losses, but losing your ace and closer is nothing to shrug off too easiliy.

Assuming we lose all these guys, here's our 2015 depth chart before adding anyone:

SP- Lackey, Buchholz, de la Rosa, Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Wright, Barnes, Owens, Johnson

RP- Tazawa, Mujica, Doubront, Britton, Wilson, Hinojosa, Ramirez, Hernandez, Couch, Kurcz

C- Vazquez, Lava, Butler, Swihart

1B- Napoli, Carp, T Shaw (Middy/Cecchini)

2B- Pedroia, S Coyle

3B- Middlebrooks (Bogaerts), Cecchini

SS- Bogaerts (Holt), Herrera, Marrero

LF- Holt, Nava (Bogaerts/Betts/Carp/Middy/Cecchini), Hassan

CF- JBJ, Betts, Ramos

RF- Victorino (Holt/Nava), Brentz

DH- Ortiz

Our biggest weaknesses:

1) Ace SP

2) Big Middle Order Bat (3B/SS/OF)

3) Left Side Infield

4) Closer

5) SP

6) Set-up RP

With about $80M to spend, we should be able to fill some or most of these holes with good free agents, but we will need to make some trades or hope our youngsters can fill the rest.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Looks like we are going to lose Lester, Peavy, Uehara, Miller, Badenhop, Breslow, Drew, Gomes & Ross.

To me, only Lester, Uehara and Miller are big losses, but losing your ace and closer is nothing to shrug off too easiliy.

Assuming we lose all these guys, here's our 2015 depth chart before adding anyone:

SP- Lackey, Buchholz, de la Rosa, Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Wright, Barnes, Owens, Johnson

RP- Tazawa, Mujica, Doubront, Britton, Wilson, Hinojosa, Ramirez, Hernandez, Couch, Kurcz

C- Vazquez, Lava, Butler, Swihart

1B- Napoli, Carp, T Shaw (Middy/Cecchini)

2B- Pedroia, S Coyle

3B- Middlebrooks (Bogaerts), Cecchini

SS- Bogaerts (Holt), Herrera, Marrero

LF- Holt, Nava (Bogaerts/Betts/Carp/Middy/Cecchini), Hassan

CF- JBJ, Betts, Ramos

RF- Victorino (Holt/Nava), Brentz

DH- Ortiz

Our biggest weaknesses:

1) Ace SP

2) Big Middle Order Bat (3B/SS/OF)

3) Left Side Infield

4) Closer

5) SP

6) Set-up RP

With about $80M to spend, we should be able to fill some or most of these holes with good free agents, but we will need to make some trades or hope our youngsters can fill the rest.

Sox4ever

If they fill them with good solid players not looking to catch lightning in a bottle type like Gomes, Nava, Dempster, Victorino, Bailey mediocre types. Luchinno needs to stay out of bottom level cheap talent like he seems to like. I don't trust anything coming out of Larry Luchinno's mouth. I remember him in 2012 T the Trade Deadline saying that "Ben was empowered to do something big". I guess Larry thinks Craig Breslow is a big pickup. I remember him saying they were going to pick up a starting pitcher at the beginning of 2012 season, they never did. I guess he was the genius who converted Bard to a starter because it was a cheaper move. I remember when he flew out to Mark Teixeira's house with Theo and John Henry and became indignant with Boras and Teixeira when he found out there was another team involved in the negotiations. I bet that won a lot of points with Teixeira, his wife and agent. I read Theo was so mad he did not want to get on the plane with him to come home. Larry needs to do whatever job he does with the Red Sox and not get involved with negotiations and interviews. But I suspect he is the real GM and Ben Cherrington is nothing more than his errand/coffee boy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Stop digging and keep the guys who are already here to fill some of those holes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If they fill them with good solid players not looking to catch lightning in a bottle type like Gomes, Nava, Dempster, Victorino, Bailey mediocre types. Luchinno needs to stay out of bottom level cheap talent like he seems to like. I don't trust anything coming out of Larry Luchinno's mouth. I remember him in 2012 T the Trade Deadline saying that "Ben was empowered to do something big". I guess Larry thinks Craig Breslow is a big pickup. I remember him saying they were going to pick up a starting pitcher at the beginning of 2012 season, they never did. I guess he was the genius who converted Bard to a starter because it was a cheaper move. I remember when he flew out to Mark Teixeira's house with Theo and John Henry and became indignant with Boras and Teixeira when he found out there was another team involved in the negotiations. I bet that won a lot of points with Teixeira, his wife and agent. I read Theo was so mad he did not want to get on the plane with him to come home. Larry needs to do whatever job he does with the Red Sox and not get involved with negotiations and interviews. But I suspect he is the real GM and Ben Cherrington is nothing more than his errand/coffee boy.

I think two major incidents have greatly influenced (or clouded) Sox management's judgement:

1) Crawford's failure has forced the pendulum to swing too far to the cautionary side of avoiding signing any more long term high cost contracts.

2) Winning a ring last year without signing a megastar pitcher or middle order bat caused a belief that we can win without adding superstars or trading away the future in prospects.

Sooner or later, we are going to have to bite the bullet and take a big risk. Sign a big free agent to more money that he is worth and trade some top prospects for a player under team control for several years or willing to extend to be so.

I really don't care who is the man actually in charge as long as that man wakes up and smells the coffee real soon.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Lester isn't going anywhere! They will sign him for more money than we thought they would. and if not Henry Owens takes his place unless they sign Big Game James. Nava has turned his whole season around now that JF realized the kid can rake. I'll take JBJ all day long, though I'm concerned for the mental health of Bogaerts, he is either a terrible fielder or he is as nervous as a deer in the headlights! His foot work stinks!! His throws to first are equally as bad. There will be trades at the deadline provided they can find the value they are looking for in return for whomever they trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Good ideas Sports

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Since when Boston need a RF if Victorino is signed toward to next season??

Hole to fill are LF, SS, and C if they need a back up one.  Not much moves that they need.  They will probably need a starter if Lester leaves, but Boston is likely to resign him.  With Lester, LAckey (if he doesnt retire), Bucholtz, and De La Rosa are as good as anyone in the AL.  They are likely to figure out who is the fifth starter.  Workman is now struggling along with Doubront.  Will Boston sign anyone via free agency if they sign Lester??  they can.

Ideal guy for LF is to find someone via trade such as to try to get Stanton or a guy like him.  Ideal guy to play SS, more likely to find someone via free agency.  I know Boston have like 50 different SS in 20 years span. Sound silly, but I think they should resign Drew.  Cuz the Yankees will take him.  and Ideal guy for C is likely another free agency signing.

BP should be as good as anyone.  They still have Britton, Workman, Doubront, Miller (eligible for 3rd yr arb), Badenhop (eligible for 3rd yr arb) and Tawanza.  Ben can just sign few guys via free agency.

Yes Ben C. have a whole alot of work to do in the winter meeting.  But signing Lester will make things to go smoothly for Ben.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lester isn't going anywhere! They will sign him for more money than we thought they would. and if not Henry Owens takes his place unless they sign Big Game James. Nava has turned his whole season around now that JF realized the kid can rake. I'll take JBJ all day long, though I'm concerned for the mental health of Bogaerts, he is either a terrible fielder or he is as nervous as a deer in the headlights! His foot work stinks!! His throws to first are equally as bad. There will be trades at the deadline provided they can find the value they are looking for in return for whomever they trade.

[/QUOTE]

Boegarts unsteadiness is directly caused by management's jerking him around - one minute he's the future of the team at its most important position, the next he's got to move to make way for a 4 month rental who has no stake in the sox future...they messed with him instead of just supporting and telling him that growing pains will happen and not to get too stressed...in sports terms they are abusive parents....first Bard, now Xander...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Boegarts unsteadiness is directly caused by management's jerking him around - one minute he's the future of the team at its most important position, the next he's got to move to make way for a 4 month rental who has no stake in the sox future...they messed with him instead of just supporting and telling him that growing pains will happen and not to get too stressed...in sports terms they are abusive parents....first Bard, now Xander...

[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then he's not ready to be on a ML roster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

maybe Ben isnt really a good GM? in two years when Xander is playing short and doing very well things wil be very clear....but only a spin doctor would actually say with a straight face that Xander's role on the team has been well handled and beneficial to him and the team...its actually a textbook way on how to micromanage and mess up

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

maybe Ben isnt really a good GM? in two years when Xander is playing short and doing very well things wil be very clear....but only a spin doctor would actually say with a straight face that Xander's role on the team has been well handled and beneficial to him and the team...its actually a textbook way on how to micromanage and mess up

[/QUOTE]

You think he was playing good defense at SS this year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and Gomes is? Ross is throwing out runners? WMB? his defense is hardly been a factor in why the team is skidding....it is the hitting - management shouldve focused their changes on that - not bringing in a guy to play short who can barely hit his weight...only to watch him disappear in a few months...dumb GMing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does Bard have to do with Bogaerts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and Gomes is? Ross is throwing out runners? WMB? his defense is hardly been a factor in why the team is skidding....it is the hitting - management shouldve focused their changes on that - not bringing in a guy to play short who can barely hit his weight...only to watch him disappear in a few months...dumb GMing

[/QUOTE]

Focus Georom.

We're talking about Bogaerts.

He wasn't playing good defense BEFORE they moved him, although he was hitting decently.

He's hit a rough patch because he's 21 and still adjusting to the majors, while pitchers have adjusted to him.

It's not because he moved to 3rd.

If that really is his problem, he needs to either go back to AAA or sit down and have a long talk with Brock Holt about dealing with a little adversity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Stop it.  So annoying that you won't let go of a false reading of the Bogaerts situation.  It fits your narrative, sure, but the facts tell a very different story.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Stop it.  So annoying that you won't let go of a false reading of the Bogaerts situation.  It fits your narrative, sure, but the facts tell a very different story.  

[/QUOTE]

Please enough with Daniel Nava, he is a defensive late inning replacement at best who had a career year last year. Please do not get fooled with him again. Backup role, not a starter or a lead off hitter like Larry said he could be at the beginning of the year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This coming Fall the Red Sox have an awful amount of holes to fill and a need at a lot of positions. They are losing Gomes and need a right fielder and a left fielder (someone who can hit). They need a shortstop unless they are going to anoint Beaggerts with the position. They are stuck with Napoli over the next few years unless they trade him at the deadline. They are potentially going to lose Jon Lester and Jake Peavy to free agency and potentially Koji. Lester is potentially a major loss as he is their ace and stopper. Are they going to move Workman and Ranaundo into replace both of them. Suppose they struggle as well. They need a third baseman unless they move Beaggerts over to third and pick up a shortstop. They are going to lose Breslow as well as Ross. How does Holt fit into the equation ?

I am not impressed with Baeggerts or Jackie Bradley Jr. and there is no guarantee they are going to be any better than they are now. I have no idea of the game plan and how Larry plans to do this and maybe he does not know how to go about it. Anyone have any ideas ?

[/QUOTE]REALLY   ?????

[/QUOTE]

Really what?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since when Boston need a RF if Victorino is signed toward to next season??

Hole to fill are LF, SS, and C if they need a back up one.  Not much moves that they need.  They will probably need a starter if Lester leaves, but Boston is likely to resign him.  With Lester, LAckey (if he doesnt retire), Bucholtz, and De La Rosa are as good as anyone in the AL.  They are likely to figure out who is the fifth starter.  Workman is now struggling along with Doubront.  Will Boston sign anyone via free agency if they sign Lester??  they can.

Ideal guy for LF is to find someone via trade such as to try to get Stanton or a guy like him.  Ideal guy to play SS, more likely to find someone via free agency.  I know Boston have like 50 different SS in 20 years span. Sound silly, but I think they should resign Drew.  Cuz the Yankees will take him.  and Ideal guy for C is likely another free agency signing.

BP should be as good as anyone.  They still have Britton, Workman, Doubront, Miller (eligible for 3rd yr arb), Badenhop (eligible for 3rd yr arb) and Tawanza.  Ben can just sign few guys via free agency.

Yes Ben C. have a whole alot of work to do in the winter meeting.  But signing Lester will make things to go smoothly for Ben.  

[/QUOTE]

Enough with Victorino, enough, missed almost all of 2014 and has an injury history. I would not count on him for too much in 2015. I appreciate what he did in the playoffs and World Series but I would not bet the ranch on him at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Xander has never been an elite or even good SS. He caught lightning in a bottle last fall playing 3 B. He is not a good 3 B. IMHO Xander needs to give up the notion he is going to be the next Jeter and keep in mind he is the next Xander Bogaerts and that he may be better than Jete--he will not be the Sox future SS or 3 B. 

Xander for the Red Sox is the next LF'der--he doesn't have to worry about footwork all he needs to do is get his swing back and that means spending a few weeks at AAA, now, and work his way into a LF comfort level. We don't need Stanton. Xander is the next Stanton--work in the weight room all off season and you will have your OF Power Bat without emptying the farm. If WMB can regain his swing the middle of the order will include Xander, WMB, Ortiz and perhaps Nap.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The year we won a world series we had holes at SP/RP/RF/LF//SS/1B....teams have holes every year and they make moves to plug them up every year, some moves work out better than others.

They will be plugged up with some combination of trades/youth/re-signings/new signings. 

Sections
Shortcuts