Holt & Herrara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Holt & Herrara

We have two Keepers. One of them will have to play SS, while the alternates w/Middlebrooks at 3B. XD simply doesn't have the range at SS. (Neither did Joe Cronin, but that's neither here nor there). At least 5 brouyndballs have slipped through this past week that Drew would have eaten up. Someone has to go when Middlebrooks gets back.  bit odf a dilemma, wouldn't you say? I think both Holt and Herrara have to stay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Holt & Herrara

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have two Keepers. One of them will have to play SS, while the alternates w/Middlebrooks at 3B. XD simply doesn't have the range at SS. (Neither did Joe Cronin, but that's neither here nor there). At least 5 brouyndballs have slipped through this past week that Drew would have eaten up. Someone has to go when Middlebrooks gets back.  bit odf a dilemma, wouldn't you say? I think both Holt and Herrara have to stay.

[/QUOTE]

So where is Bogaerts going? Pawtucket?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IF this thing got done of Holt and Herrara being the left side of the infield you can bet that Bogarts isn't going far.  This team puts a huge emphasis on offense and Bogearts is an offensive machine.  I see a worst-case scenario of XBo becoming the 3B and the question being Where is Middlebrooks going?

But I don't see that happening either.  The FO has made a commitment to XBo at SS.  They've given him the job and told him it's his until he proves he can't play it, so they'll give him every opportunity to prove it - one way or the other.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

That's

That's a a tough question. Most certainly, he's not going back down. He's 21; lots of time for transission. Outfield, probably, in due time. He's a helluvan athlete; that's obvious. Why they have groomed him for SS is anybody's guess. He has reasonable speed, but a SS's quickness. And he will hit 30 HR's eventually. Middlebrooks is still an iffy proposition, but looking better, and deserves to be given 3B. DH needs back-up, and will need Full Time in the near future. I would think about making XB the RH alternate, to Papi, games at 3B (and PH for Holt against good lefties, some time in LF. At least 400 ABs for this year. Good problems to have, in the long run.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Holt has a minor league OBP of .374 with an OPS of .786.

If he can maintain numbers close to that in the bigs, he'll always have a place on someone's 25 man roster.

Herrera's .344 OBP in the minors is not so impressive, and he seems better suited for 2B than 3B, so I'm not sure he'll be sticking around, if Holt keeps hitting and getting on base and Middy returns healthy.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE].

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    IMO?  Not a chance he's going to Pawtucket for many reasons, some pertaining to some prior FO decisions.   He's going back to SS until he either proves he can play SS or he can't, and I expect that will take at least 1/2 a season.  

If he proves he can't THEN he'll go back to Pawtucket with a bigger glove on his hand or else he'll play 3b.  If you had to make the choice between Bogearts and Middlebrooks who would YOU choose?   But this guy's offense ain't getting away!

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

This is a nice problem to have. It appears (is it too obvious to be real?) that in the past 12 months Holt has really developed. Herrara has been around, but I love his intensity and love of the game. I'd rather have him on the bench than I would, say, Carp. If I had to make out a RS 2015 lineup (guessing, mind you), I would have Middlebrooks and Holt (3rd and SS), with XB in LF. I'm saying this never having seen either Holt at SS, or XB in LF! But, both have the tools for those positions. Holt is quick; we've seen that, and he is developing into a hitter. We've seen that, too. XB will be a 30HR, 100RBI guy---by 2016. My God, he's just turned 21!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

It was obvious from day one that the SS position was going to be a problem when the SOX didn't re-sign Drew. Oh well, last year was for the fans, this year is for the owners. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was obvious from day one that the SS position was going to be a problem when the SOX didn't re-sign Drew. Oh well, last year was for the fans, this year is for the owners. 

[/QUOTE]

They did replace Drew with a consensus top 5 prospect.  It's not like they through some casual career minor leaguer out there. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox kept Brock Holt up for the remainder and gave him the starting job at SS, how long before bosoxmal declares it was a horrible, horrible decision?  1 week? 2 weeks?

If he takes longer, it would only be out of stubbornness...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If the Sox kept Brock Holt up for the remainder and gave him the starting job at SS, how long before bosoxmal declares it was a horrible, horrible decision?  1 week? 2 weeks?

It amazes me how a guy can get a big triple and all of a sudden people want him to start.  We have all seen Holt long enough to know he isn't and shouldn't be a starter so please everyone stop.

If he takes longer, it would only be out of stubbornness...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

IMO the guy that forces the issue is Marrero. Comparable to Iglesias with the glove, but better arm. Garnering enough PA's to be ready shortly. X to 3B with Middlebrooks/Cechini talent to upgrade P and OF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Signing Napoli to two years really bottle-necked the corner IF position. I was not against the signing. I like Napoli a lot.

The alternative might have been to find a SS (Drew would have been to costly.), move Bogey to 3B, let Middy, Cecchini and Carp fight it out at 1B, and sign Beltran instead of Naps. Having Beltran over Naps does solve the NL park issue of having to sit Papi or Naps, but there were minuses to that plan as well.

I'm pretty sure Middy or Cecchini will be at 1B at the start of 2016, but Cecchini is likely to be ready long before then.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I don't see Bogarets going anywhere !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Boggie did not make it to fenway because of his glove.  Not a lot of balls came at him last post season so he made it thru pretty much without the detection that he needed work at ss.  He is going to make errors and  then have more plays that could be close to errors.

But his bat is important and his base running is better than most rookies.

Sections
Shortcuts