Holy **** John Lackey is skinny

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Holy **** John Lackey is skinny

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I read somewhere that the team's chef, Shannon Yates, prepared Collard-green wraps for lunch.  That's a bit too organic for me.  I prefer a bacon cheeseburger with fries.  LOL

I was wondering if you'd be eating ice cream for dessert.  That would be an act of cannibalism.

Good morning Sheriff-Rojas   :)

If that is the case, then I commit cannibalism a few times a week.   LOL

What is that building in your avatar?  :)

I visited Halifax, Nova Scotia a few years ago and saw this building with the letters "BDC" (same as Boston dot com) on it.  I took a picture and now use it as an avitar.  I'll probably change  my avatar soon.   

Edit: Looks like I just did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I hope he has a decent year.

I don't think we should expect lights out from a guy coming back from that surgery. 

Decent would be a plus.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Lackey opens his first order of fried chicken in the clubhouse and finds thighs and breasts but no wings......wait for it now, the shoulder shrug, the toss of the head, and the infamous eye roll.

dustcover ! long-time no see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

switched to light beer? :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Keep up Jete.  That joke already used several times in this very thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Keep up Jete.  That joke already used several times in this very thread.

oops....sorry :0

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I never knew what to make of the Lackey/Wife thing.  Divorcing a woman with cancer is tough.  Do you go republican and give her divorce papers while she's in the hospital?  Or do you go democrat and stay married but get a new Baby Momma? 

In any event, Lackey said this was the best his arm has felt since he's been here.  Does that mean the Sox overpaid for damaged goods?  How did this not get detected in the physical?

Lackey will have an OK year, but not great.  Lackey's biggest issue is that he's not a real good pitcher.  Playing half your games against the A's, Mariners, and Rangers, in cavernous ball parks can make anyone look good.  Playing in Fenway against the AL East uncovers everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I never knew what to make of the Lackey/Wife thing.  Divorcing a woman with cancer is tough.  Do you go republican and give her divorce papers while she's in the hospital?  Or do you go democrat and stay married but get a new Baby Momma? 

In any event, Lackey said this was the best his arm has felt since he's been here.  Does that mean the Sox overpaid for damaged goods?  How did this not get detected in the physical?

Lackey will have an OK year, but not great.  Lackey's biggest issue is that he's not a real good pitcher.  Playing half your games against the A's, Mariners, and Rangers, in cavernous ball parks can make anyone look good.  Playing in Fenway against the AL East uncovers everything.

it was detected in the physical otherwise they wouldn't have added the TJS clause....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm expecting 16 - 18 wins from Mr. Lackey this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

You are expecting too much.

Think we should all be happy if he contributes in a positive way.  12 wins would be great

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

You are expecting too much.

Think we should all be happy if he contributes in a positive way.  12 wins would be great

he had 12 wins in 2011 posting the worst ERA EVER!

besides, his ability has no bearing on how many wins he gets....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Oh Mef  not U2

not even most superstat geeks would go that far

ok maybe they would ;-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Oh Mef  not U2

ok maybe they would ;-)

sorry to say it Zac, i just hate the W/L stat. it is the single WORST statistic out there... Too many variables involved to depend on it as a measuring stick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Oh Mef  not U2

ok maybe they would ;-)

sorry to say it Zac, i just hate the W/L stat. it is the single WORST statistic out there... Too many variables involved to depend on it as a measuring stick.

Exactly.  Lackey posted the worst ERA of a full-time pitcher in the modern era or something and got 12 wins in 2011.  Felix Hernandez won the Cy Young in 2010 with 13.  An interesting statistic no doubt, but useless as a yard stick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Oh Mef  not U2

ok maybe they would ;-)

Exactly.  Lackey posted the worst ERA of a full-time pitcher in the modern era or something and got 12 wins in 2011.  Felix Hernandez won the Cy Young in 2010 with 13.  An interesting statistic no doubt, but useless as a yard stick.

Call me a Luddite, but I thought the goal of a starting pitcher was for their team to win the ballgame.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Oh Mef  not U2

ok maybe they would ;-)

Call me a Luddite, but I thought the goal of a starting pitcher was for their team to win the ballgame.

I would never call you a Luddite Carnie.  You are, of course, correct in your simple line of thought.  And simple is good.  However, the thing about the W-L stat is that the pitcher is just one of at least 9 guys out there responsible for winning or losing a ball game.  Sure, he is the most integral element.  But wins or losses are, more often than not, the result of the collective team performance.  hence, Lackey being abysmal and managing 12 wins: Hernandez being absolutely stellar and only getting 13.

You can, of course, use some tried-and-true benchmark numbers to make assumptions:  if a dude gets 19-20 wins, you can assume he was probably darn good.  But, shy of that, you really cannot make assumptions based on wins.  That stat does not tell you nearly enough about how a guy actually pitches.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Hi ya spacebro! sometimes I grow a little weary of all the blah,blah,blah,fkn blah that was then stuff. I saw big john pitch some bp on nesn daily and he did not look anything like his old self. He's 6-6 and weighs in at 245 rock solid lbs man. on top of that he's got a brand spankin new right arm which as the gear head that I am is the same as getting your tired 351 cleveland 4 barrel totally rebuilt and ready to go with a cam, headers and a holly 750 dual feed double pumper... I hope he takes the time to talk to the greatest red sox pitcher in my life time #45. If Pedie can teach him how to throw inside and push guys back he could totally own the dish. day by day I am loving what I'm hearing about our pitchers down there. sat Lack starts against the damn devilrays. can't wait.

hope all is well with you and the fam ol friend of mine.

GO SOX!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

Hi ya spacebro! sometimes I grow a little weary of all the blah,blah,blah,fkn blah that was then stuff. I saw big john pitch some bp on nesn daily and he did not look anything like his old self. He's 6-6 and weighs in at 245 rock solid lbs man. on top of that he's got a brand spankin new right arm which as the gear head that I am is the same as getting your tired 351 cleveland 4 barrel totally rebuilt and ready to go with a cam, headers and a holly 750 dual feed double pumper... I hope he takes the time to talk to the greatest red sox pitcher in my life time #45. If Pedie can teach him how to throw inside and push guys back he could totally own the dish. day by day I am loving what I'm hearing about our pitchers down there. sat Lack starts against the damn devilrays. can't wait.

GO SOX!

Hammah, my man.  I feel you.  lackey looks good for sure.  TJ has been making guys bionic lately, so good reason to think that Lack will have the good stuff going.  And, judging from his fitness and already-smooth mechanics, looks like he is motivated, certainly has put in his work, plus some.  Don't know about Pedey changing his approach though.  Lack is Lack and I am sure he is going to pitch like he always has, though with the inevitable loss of mustard, he may stay away from trying to over power guys.  This is a blessing anyway, as he wasn't overpowering anyone since he got to Boston, just getting his strike out heat struck out of the park.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

GO SOX!

Hammah, my man.  I feel you.  lackey looks good for sure.  TJ has been making guys bionic lately, so good reason to think that Lack will have the good stuff going.  And, judging from his fitness and already-smooth mechanics, looks like he is motivated, certainly has put in his work, plus some.  Don't know about Pedey changing his approach though.  Lack is Lack and I am sure he is going to pitch like he always has, though with the inevitable loss of mustard, he may stay away from trying to over power guys.  This is a blessing anyway, as he wasn't overpowering anyone since he got to Boston, just getting his strike out heat struck out of the park.

ha! true as ever bro. all I ask is that this staff can go out there and give us a constant 5-6 Plus possitive innings. it looks like we are shaping up to having a monstah relief corps in the BP. imagine if bard returns to his old self when farrell was his pitching coach. I also really like the kid with the spinach chin closing. I'm ready. let's get it on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Use whatever stats you would like.

Just don't expect Lackey to be anything better than decent.  He'll have a decent year; he'll be a serviceable starter.  he'll have quality starts.  He'll get shelled occasionally.

However you need to graph that in the nerd notebook - go ahead and do that.

just please stop talking about comeback player of the year and lights out pitching.

It is unrealistic.  He's coming off major surgery and hasn't pitched in a long time.  A decent year would be great from Lackey.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The whole thing with Lackey and his wife Krista was sad.  I think she had a lot to do with him signing with the Sox.  She's from Mass. I think.  Absolutely gorgeous woman too.

I was hoping that Kate Upton could help the Red Sox sign Verlander when he becomes a free agent but they broke up.   LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I just prefer honest assessments. 

People saying Lackey is going to be "the biggest surprise of the season"  comeback player of year"  and "18 game winner" - is just too much.

The guy wasn't that good before he destroyed his arm.  Why don't we have a look and see how he is actually doing when he picks up a baseball?

First comes the hype "he gonna win 18 games!" and then when he scuffles it will be "Lackey is the worst picther in MLB history!"

Let's set reasonable expectations - the guy will be decent hopefully.  If he is serviceable - I am going to be thrilled with Lackey.

Somebody threw out Carp could hit 16 - 18 HRs in another thread.  My goodness! - Carp wil be lucky if he doesn't have a big "P" on his ball cap this year.  But there is always some hyped up character that is going to over predict.

Cameron willl hit 30-35 HRs!!  Now, its Napolis may hit 40 HRs!!!!

This sort of wild emotionalism is what causes the majority of pain and suffering for fans.