Home plate collisions eliminated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Home plate collisions eliminated

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 12m

MLB has eliminated home plate collisions and will require players to slid into the plate.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 7m

Home plate collision rule would have to be approved by union. Suspensions and fines for not sliding.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 46s

Catchers could not block the plate. They'd have to play it like fielders at other bases and tag the runner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Home plate collisions eliminated

ok by me. Seen some that were sickening when catcher is totally defenseless like a wide receiver.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to billge's comment:

ok by me. Seen some that were sickening when catcher is totally defenseless like a wide receiver.

Me, too, billge. Especially with what we now know about concussions, no need for it. Can be career ending and life altering.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MLB has eliminated home plate collisions and will require players to slid into the plate.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 7m

Home plate collision rule would have to be approved by union. Suspensions and fines for not sliding.

Catchers could not block the plate. They'd have to play it like fielders at other bases and tag the runner.

[/QUOTE]

Hey J-B!

My understanding of the current rule (as in before today) is that a catcher can only block the plate if he has the ball.  Does this mean he can't block the plate even WITH the ball?

And how will that translate to the IF's who make a practice of blocking bags when a runner is stealing or getting back to first on a pickoff play?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

And while we're talking about rule changes, how about clarifying that interference/obstruction thing?  :-/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 7m

Hey J-B!

My understanding of the current rule (as in before today) is that a catcher can only block the plate if he has the ball.  Does this mean he can't block the plate even WITH the ball?

And how will that translate to the IF's who make a practice of blocking bags when a runner is stealing or getting back to first on a pickoff play?

[/QUOTE]

HIGH 5!!

Think so. Says catchers can't block the plate and have to field it like other infielders, tag the runner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

And while we're talking about rule changes, how about clarifying that interference/obstruction thing?  :-/

[/QUOTE]

Joe Torre said there wont be any change in the obstruction ruleSurprised

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Good move and good news for David Ross.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Yeah.  I remember his saying that at the time.  I was hoping you might be able to use your substantial influence to get the GM's to take a look at it.  :-)

A bit more seriously, I'm going to assume that IFers will be able to continue to block the bag on steals and pickoffs since the blocking of the bag doesn't result in concussions. 

On the injury front, I see more injuries around 2B on DP's now that the instant replay will make the "neighborhood tag" of the bag obsolete.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-intends-ban-plate-collisions-220919721--mlb.html

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/mlb-rules-committee-decides-to-eliminate-collisions-at-home-plate/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I don't have a problem with this... works for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Yeah.  I remember his saying that at the time.  I was hoping you might be able to use your substantial influence to get the GM's to take a look at it.  :-)

A bit more seriously, I'm going to assume that IFers will be able to continue to block the bag on steals and pickoffs since the blocking of the bag doesn't result in concussions. 

On the injury front, I see more injuries around 2B on DP's now that the instant replay will make the "neighborhood tag" of the bag obsolete.

The rule has yet to be formally defined or drafted, but the upshot of all of this will be that base runners will be required to slide into home plate, not initiate contact with the catcher. Likewise, catchers will not be able to block home plate. Rather, they must tag runners — and allow runners a path to the plate — just as any other fielder does at any other base. Players who violate the collision rules will be subject to discipline in all likelihood, though exact sanctions will be determined once the rule is finalized.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

long overdue  i never liked blocking the plate at home because it couldnt be done elsewhere...plus 250 pould men colliding into each other, one at full speed, is not necessary to the playing of the game....its good to see people here agree with this...i was expecting the wussification of america rants by many traditionalists

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I think they should also make catchers wear skirts.

Just kidding.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't see any problem at all with enforcement of this.  Just enforce it the same way most amateur sports do now.

If the catcher has the ball and the runner fails to slide and initiates contact the runner is automatically out.

If the catcher does not have the ball and interferes with the runner's progress toward the plate (i.e. blocks the plate) and contact occurs the runner is automatically safe under the obstruction rule.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im sure thats on the menu. That call against Middlebrooks--while maybe by the book--needs to take intent into consideration. Nowhere for him to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Too late for Ray Fosse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too late for Ray Fosse.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. They should have at least outlawed it after that play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they should also make catchers wear skirts.

Just kidding.

[/QUOTE]

In a related rule change, runners who feel they are blocked from a clear path to the plate by the catcher will be allowed to drop their batting gloves and initiate fisticuffs with the offending catcher. However, once one of the players is on the ground, the umpires shall be required to intervene in the melee and pull the players apart. There will be a five inning major penalty assessed to each player involved.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The National Federation for all high school baseball games has had this "must slide" rule in its books for years and years.   Good that MLB finally caught up to high schools when thinking about safety for the catcher and the runner at home plate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

this is terrible

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im sure thats on the menu. That call against Middlebrooks--while maybe by the book--needs to take intent into consideration. Nowhere for him to go.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so

the rule has been fine for yrs

do you really want the unpires judging what a players intent was?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was concerned about that too S5

I heard today ''the neighborhood play'' won't be reveiwable

I'm good w/that but the list of non reveiwable plays I saw today

was longer than I think most fans thought

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too late for Ray Fosse.

[/QUOTE]

sad & true but

who would be talkin about fosse today if thing went different

Sections
Shortcuts