Home Runs Win Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Home Runs Win Games

Do people still want to pretend that power isn't the great equalizer? Cespedes 2 jacks, 2 wins....Ortiz about 10 times this year hits a huge home run that propels the team to winning runs....Team is void of offense in almost every other instance. It's home runs or bust. They don't hit home runs, they are on not scoring. I'm sure there will be another 25 fans on this board saying how power doesn't mean anything and that it's the OBP of the players that creates the offense (not this team). They get on base to die stranded for the most part. The power is the instant offense--a home run is a run plus whatever is on base...No other type of offensive play in baseball like a home run. It's why Cespedes can have a .299 OBP if all I care and Nava can have a .335 but I'll take the home runs and the RBI thank you over the ability to reach base via a walk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Home Runs Win Games

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do people still want to pretend that power isn't the great equalizer? Cespedes 2 jacks, 2 wins....Ortiz about 10 times this year hits a huge home run that propels the team to winning runs....Team is void of offense in almost every other instance. It's home runs or bust. They don't hit home runs, they are on not scoring. I'm sure there will be another 25 fans on this board saying how power doesn't mean anything and that it's the OBP of the players that creates the offense (not this team). They get on base to die stranded for the most part. The power is the instant offense--a home run is a run plus whatever is on base...No other type of offensive play in baseball like a home run. It's why Cespedes can have a .299 OBP if all I care and Nava can have a .335 but I'll take the home runs and the RBI thank you over the ability to reach base via a walk.

[/QUOTE]

Against RHPs, I'll take Nava up before Cespedes in the line-up.

You are right. We need high OBP guys, but we also needed power guys to knock them in. Having just Papi and Napoli caught up to us this year.

Getting Cespedes and Craig will help next year, but we still could use a mega slugger.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].      Cespedes , or someone like him, is what we have been missing all year. We have simply not scored enough runs to win. The offense has basically lacked speed and power ( other than Ortiz ) . It is hard to mount an offense without speed and power. OBP can only take you so far. Defense can only take you so far. You have to score runs. You have to have guys who can drive in runs. No quicker way to score than with the long ball. Cespedes has been largely responsible for the last two wins. He is quite possibly the best thing that has happened to the team this year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I hear you moon, I know matchups are important. But the power has been such a great void for '14. The '13 team hit home runs in their sleep, many of them, walk-offs and certainly a bevy in the postseason that saved their bacon--Ortiz homer v. Detroit, Gomes HR v. STL....Napoli huge HR....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].      Cespedes , or someone like him, is what we have been missing all year. We have simply not scored enough runs to win. The offense has basically lacked speed and power ( other than Ortiz ) . It is hard to mount an offense without speed and power. OBP can only take you so far. Defense can only take you so far. You have to score runs. You have to have guys who can drive in runs. No quicker way to score than with the long ball. Cespedes has been largely responsible for the last two wins. He is quite possibly the best thing that has happened to the team this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Yup, denny, it's a simple game. It would be different if team speed and players were driving in RBI in key situations, but not happening for this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Against RHPs, I'll take Nava up before Cespedes in the line-up.

You are right. We need high OBP guys, but we also needed power guys to knock them in. Having just Papi and Napoli caught up to us this year.

Getting Cespedes and Craig will help next year, but we still could use a mega slugger.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].         Napoli is a guy who likes to work the count and maybe draw a walk. This certainly helps his OBP , but it also results in many strikeouts and fewer RBI s.  He has not been driving in runs this year. That has been part of the problem. Cespedes is what we have been missing. ( Not just Cespedes, but someone of that type.)  OBP , a component of OPS , does not win games if the runners are continually left stranded.  Someone has to drive them in.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In an era where offense is in decline it makes sense to plan for the 3-run HR like the days of great Earl Weaver.

Let's get Stanton over here this winter!

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Holt

2) Pedey

3) Stanton

4) Ortiz

5) Cespedes

6) Napoli

7) Craig

8) Bogaerts

9) Vazquez

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Stanton would be a 40 HR guy in Fenway for sure....Cespedes is a keeper if they can figure out the best way to extend his contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Napoli is an interesting case study in pitch selection. I don't know if there is another player in MLB who literally will take a strike 3 down the middle because he's so intent on guessing a mistake pitch. He is banking always on the pitcher throwing WHAT HE WANTS and that's a recipe for disaster sometimes. He is the last guy on Earth who uses the old adage of protecting the plate. He doesn't care about that. Now, the flip side is he's been successful with that approach. Sure he strikes out a lot, but he turns right around and can get on base 3 times in a game, one being a bomb. I can't criticize him because really he's an asset and he's a pretty damn good fielding 1B

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

1) Holt

2) Pedey

3) Stanton

4) Ortiz

5) Cespedes

6) Napoli

7) Craig

8) Bogaerts

9) Vazquez

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hehe ... you're such a dreamer, Moon.  But I like it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

So does good Pitching, Great Pitching wins Championships.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

of course, crazy, but this offense is legendary bad and that's the problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Earl Weaver nailed it a long time ago with the 'pitching and 3-run homers' line.

Once in a while, smallball will win you a game.  But usually, somebody has to step up and deliver a big hit. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

nut, that's it entirely. The game has some interesting peaks and valleys. I think with the offense in MLB declining...at least in run scoring for instance, the need for power is that much more....The Sox are certainly an example of a team that has died trying to base to base, station to station and they are still taking more pitches than anyone. It's just not translating to runs. You have to knock the suckers in...HRs do that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

In an era where offense is in decline it makes sense to plan for the 3-run HR like the days of great Earl Weaver.

Let's get Stanton over here this winter!

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

this 1 billion %.

we have the prospects to do this trade.  we have the $$$ to trade and sign extension that will keep him here for his prime years.

this is a trade that would be win-win for both organizations.

other names i have posted under:  none

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I really would love to see Stanton too, but really, do any of you think that the scouts haven't watched how bad the Sox prospects are at hitting?? Xander, Holt (is he a bad example, is he really hitting? or just getting on base more than others in a bad lineup?), Bradley, Vasquez, Middlebrooks....Betts? You may have to trade Ruby D and Webster to get a big hitter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So does good Pitching, Great Pitching wins Championships.

[/QUOTE]

absolutely.  we def need to lock down a TOTR starter this offseason.  luckily there will be a couple available.

Hitting gets you to the postseason.  pitching gets you the parades....

we need both and have the prospects and the cash monies to acquire both this hotstove.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Should have included Nava in last post. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

I really would love to see Stanton too, but really, do any of you think that the scouts haven't watched how bad the Sox prospects are at hitting?? Xander, Holt (is he a bad example, is he really hitting? or just getting on base more than others in a bad lineup?), Bradley, Vasquez, Middlebrooks....Betts? You may have to trade Ruby D and Webster to get a big hitter.

[/QUOTE]

danny, i think it will come down to choosing players from pool...

1 of the 2 catchers

1 of the OFers

a couple of the pitching prospects

and maybe 1 or 2 lower level prospects as well.

there is no doubt we have the quantity and quality of prospects to get this trade done.

plus marlins can be much more patient with a JBJ as they are happy enough to collect $$ shared revenues and every so often make a run at postseason with a group of low paid pre-FA players....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

1) Holt

2) Pedey

3) Stanton

4) Ortiz

5) Cespedes

6) Napoli

7) Craig

8) Bogaerts

9) Vazquez

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Holt has earned a chance for 2015 but Ben should have a 3b backup plan ready to go at moments notice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That would be key, slash. I thought about that too, that maybe the small market teams love the long-term prospect. They are much more willing to wait. I don't see the Sox in any position to wait for anything. For those that think the Sox can just build and rebuild to get to '16, I think you forget this is a big market team. 3 WS titles were not had by Waiting For Guffman.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I watched Brock K four times the other night...he's a good kid, but he's a reserve at best. I don't see him surviving a 135-game played season. He just doesn't do much offensively...or the theme of the '14 Sox.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

I watched Brock K four times the other night...he's a good kid, but he's a reserve at best. I don't see him surviving a 135-game played season. He just doesn't do much offensively...or the theme of the '14 Sox.

[/QUOTE]

he is seeing the breaking ball a lot more.  he needs to spend the winter with the machine set to "curveball"...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Danny can you imagine if they did not pick Cespedes the way this team has such an anemic offense ?