HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE!

saying a mouthful but it is what it is. as long as it works out for the sox, i'm willing not to move too fast on replay and blocking the plate. replay would have overturned that out, it looked clear and conclusive to me. if blocking the plate was banned, he would have been safe as well. no way tek gets the out without the block. aldo, as much as i like craw, no way he makes that play. wonder if tito in the future, under similar circumstances, would switch mac for craw. having a gun to make that throw was the key!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE!

Blocking the plate has been part of the game forever. Weather you are a fan of it or not, it isn't going away anytime soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE!

Replays showed the runner's right leg was suspended over the plate but not touching it before the tag. Did you see any arguement over the play? Anyway, that was a bang-bang play and goodie for us!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I want instant replay. I hate when a bad call ruins a game. I think what happens in a game should be what happens in a game. And I'm on the record for saying I don't necessarily like the idea that it's up to an individual to make really important calls in a game, or even calls that may not seem important, but turn out to be so.

As for tonight, and the reason for the thread, I'll also say this, since the play at the plate should never have even happened. I would like a more advanced way of calling balls and strikes. It's 2011, everyone can see whether it was a ball or a strike for sure a second after it happens. Why still leave it up to an individual to decide? Especially, when all umpires don't even have the same strike zone. What does that even mean anyway?  Shouldn't there just be A strike zone?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mazzpep. Show mazzpep's posts

Bluejays manager, John Farrell is upset after seeing the replay showing the Encarnacion safe at the plate. Did he see the replay showing that Patterson should have been out on a called third strike right before Bautista's blast? Did he see Arencibia walk after he could've been called out on strikes twice moving Encarnacion into scoring position in the first place? Point is, the right team won on this night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No instant replay, no computerized strike zone - stop trying to change this game.

Sometimes you are called safe when you are out and visa-versa. Sometimes it is called a ball when it is a strike & visa-versa. It is the human element of baseball that I believe is very enjoyable. Sometimes it might pizz you off, but where would all the fun be if we had nothing to b*tch about.

Leave the game alone. The HR replay is enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE!:
    No instant replay, no computerized strike zone - stop trying to change this game. Sometimes you are called safe when you are out and visa-versa. Sometimes it is called a ball when it is a strike & visa-versa. It is the human element of baseball that I believe is very enjoyable. Sometimes it might pizz you off, but where would all the fun be if we had nothing to b*tch about. Leave the game alone. The HR replay is enough.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree jessey, last night he was definately out but it happens.  We don't need and more rules unless it has to do with PEDS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

hey jessy, good to see you man! the runner was definately out. tek blocked the plate, applied the tag and the ump called him out. end of story. end of game. the key here is that the runner never even tried to argue with the blueman nor did the bluejays manager. why? because they both knew he was out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hey Hammah - how are you?

Out/safe - whatever! Close calls, no matter which end of it you are on will always be part of the game and I hope that never changes. Just think how boring this game would have been without the likes of Durocher, Stengel, Pinella, etc. fighting with umps over bad calls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i have no idea what some of you are talking about - the replay showed nothing conclusive as far as his foot toucing home plate...he was out

great defensive play all around and a darn nice effort with the slide

on a more troubling note, Paps is reverting back to his mediocre self after a hot start

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

jessey is correct. Baseball is a human game and I want these calls made by humans, not Qwestek or some freakin' android.

That includes home run calls, imho. I oppose instant replay in baseball.

I recall last year when Jeter was accused of hamming it up on a close pitch to make it look as if he had been hit, and it worked a few times.

He responded to the criticisms thus by saying, and I am paraphrasing here, that the number of times he faked being hit and got on base just about equaled the number of times that he was actually grazed by a pitch and wasn't awarded first base.

He also said, and quite rightly, that his job is to get on base.

in other words, just going with the human responses of umpires will mean that everything averages out over the course of 162 games.  The missed calls will be a wash. 

The real solution is better training of umpires. Isn't that Joe Torre's new job? Just askin'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE!:
    Hey Hammah - how are you? Out/safe - whatever! Close calls, no matter which end of it you are on will always be part of the game and I hope that never changes. Just think how boring this game would have been without the likes of Durocher, Stengel, Pinella, etc. fighting with umps over bad calls.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I hear you bro! don't forget Billy! God rest his sole. there was a manager that loved to mix it up with the bluemen!

on a side note, even though we are hugh rivals so to speak, I'm kind of excited for Jetes to get his 3,000th hit....and as much as I can't stand you freaking yankee fans, I'm hoping he gets it in front of you guys at the new stadium....I mean, who knows, they just might change the name to the house that Jeter built....lol... so now that I've buttered you up a little bit, do me a favor and lose tonight!!! lol.......

glad to see you back posting jessy........I/we really do want to see you and NHsteven chatting with us back and forth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Truth is the lead off man should have been called out on strikes leading off inning. He shouldnt have scored, so the game should have been at best tied after the play at the plate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE! : I hear you bro! don't forget Billy! God rest his sole. there was a manager that loved to mix it up with the bluemen! on a side note, even though we are hugh rivals so to speak, I'm kind of excited for Jetes to get his 3,000th hit....and as much as I can't stand you freaking yankee fans, I'm hoping he gets it in front of you guys at the new stadium....I mean, who knows, they just might change the name to the house that Jeter built....lol... so now that I've buttered you up a little bit, do me a favor and lose tonight!!! lol....... glad to see you back posting jessy........I/we really do want to see you and NHsteven chatting with us back and forth.
    Posted by Hammah29r2

To be honest Hammah - I hope he has a four hit night tonight. It gets the drama off the front page and maybe he starts climbing back to  being a respectable hitter. I still believe him to be a .300 hitter and he needs to clear the cobwebs out and just do it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Truth is the lead off man should have been called out on strikes leading off inning. He shouldnt have scored, so the game should have been at best tied after the play at the plate.
    Posted by Sully1965

Coulda shoulda woulda. 

As frustrating as it is to see balls and strikes called wrong (almost invariably on outside pitches) I wouldn't leave B/S to computers.  I DO like the human element as opposed to relegating it to technology. 

The way I saw the play at the plate last night it wouldn't have been reversed even if Instant Replay were being used, as least as the NFL uses it.  
    There was no conclusive evidence that that the original call was in error so the call would stand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

And Jesse... good to have you back.  :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE! : To be honest Hammah - I hope he has a four hit night tonight. It gets the drama off the front page and maybe he starts climbing back to  being a respectable hitter. I still believe him to be a .300 hitter and he needs to clear the cobwebs out and just do it.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Unfortunately, IMO that's wishful thinking; I'd love to be wrong. I heard a disturbing stat yesterday on the Michael Kay show; since the start of last yr (900 PA Sample Size) he has a 4.1 % Line Drive Rate. The handwriting is not only on the wall, it's in everybody's face.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Of course it is wishful thinking, but I also don't believe you go from .330 to .270 in an 8 month time period which is what happened to Jeter from two seasons ago to last year. So I do think he just needs to be less stubborn and just get it done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Of course it is wishful thinking, but I also don't believe you go from .330 to .270 in an 8 month time period which is what happened to Jeter from two seasons ago to last year. So I do think he just needs to be less stubborn and just get it done.
    Posted by jesseyeric

This precipitous drop in BA is common at this age bracket. Kind of like when Mantle went from .303 to .255 (His legs were klilling him both yrs, and going forward), or in the same 2 yrs when Howard went from .313 to .233. This was the collapse of the Old Yankee dynasty, '64-'65.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I do not think you can compare era's considering the fitness routine some of these athletes have. And Mantle is a poor example considering he was a drunk.

I will admit that the bat speed through the zone slows down a bit as each year passes, but not to the extreme where Jeter is at. Jeter is a well known thickhead and refuses to make concessions and feels he doesn't need to adjust. And that is on him. 

Look at what a slight adjustment did for Grandy and Swish. Jeer can do it, he just needs to get it done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

I do not think you can compare era's considering the fitness routine some of these athletes have. And Mantle is a poor example considering he was a drunk. I will admit that the bat speed through the zone slows down a bit as each year passes, but not to the extreme where Jeter is at. Jeter is a well known thickhead and refuses to make concessions and feels he doesn't need to adjust. And that is on him.  Look at what a slight adjustment did for Grandy and Swish. Jeer can do it, he just needs to get it done.

Posted by jesseyeric

For someone who wasn't going to post here anymore you sure do post a lot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I do not think you can compare era's considering the fitness routine some of these athletes have. And Mantle is a poor example considering he was a drunk. I will admit that the bat speed through the zone slows down a bit as each year passes, but not to the extreme where Jeter is at. Jeter is a well known thickhead and refuses to make concessions and feels he doesn't need to adjust. And that is on him.  Look at what a slight adjustment did for Grandy and Swish. Jeer can do it, he just needs to get it done.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I don't think you can make a blanket statement on either end. Mantle actually isn't a bad example because he was probably no different in his younger days. However, when you get older, you can't do the same things and you have to work harder to stay in shape.

Because of better conditioning, guys might be better able to play well into their late 30s, although there were players in the past who could do so -- Williams, Yaz, Rose, etc.

On the other hand, year-to-year, anything can happen. Guys can shoot up or down with their stats even in their prime. Jeter has been more consistent than most players, but even if he stays in good shape, going from .330s to .270s to .250s at 35-36-37 while playing a demanding position like SS isn't unusual.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: HOMER ALERT: I WANT INSTANT REPLAY +BANS ON BLOCKING THE PLATE, BUT NOT TONIGHT... A TIE IF CRAW'S OUT THERE! : For someone who wasn't going to post here anymore you sure do post a lot.
    Posted by The---Babe---

This is the exact thing you said to him a day or 2 ago (and to me before, although you were right mentioning it the 1st time). Do you have this in a paste buffer in your troll repository file?

Sections
Shortcuts